Devin Smith Out

KRL

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets' Devin Smith recovering from surgery for second time in 16 months, out for season

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19275774/new-york-jets-wide-receiver-devin-smith-recovering-major-knee-surgery-second-16-months

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- For the second time in 16 months, New York Jets wide receiver Devin Smith is recovering from major surgery on his right knee.

Smith, a second-round pick in 2015, was diagnosed with a torn ACL on April 17, the first day of the team's offseason program. He will be lost for the entire season, the Jets announced Saturday at the conclusion of the draft.

(Read the rest at the URL) 

Devin Smith’s season is over before it even began. Again.

At the conclusion of the NFL Draft on Saturday, Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan announced that Smith tore his right anterior cruciate ligament for the second time in 16 months and will be sidelined for the entire 2017 season.

Maccagnan said Smith, 25, the Jets’ 2015 second-round pick, suffered the injury “prior to the first set of OTAs” and believes he already has undergone surgery.

“He had been around [the facility], he had been working and training,” Maccagnan said hours after selecting California wide receiver Chad Hansen with the 141st overall pick less than 24 hours after taking Alabama wideout ArDarius Stewart.

“But at the first OTA, he experienced a situation with his knee. We brought him in, we examined him — we had examined him, actually, before he went out, and then of course, when we got the MRI, it showed the torn ACL.”

It’s the latest setback in a growing list of NFL injuries for the former Ohio State speedster, who has played in only 14 games since being drafted 37th overall.

On July 31, 2015 — days into his first training camp with the Jets — Smith suffered broken ribs and a punctured lung in a collision with a teammate. His recovery timetable was four to six weeks. That same season, he was carted off the field during the third quarter of the Jets’ blowout win over the Titans on Dec. 13. An MRI the next day confirmed that he had torn his right ACL.

Smith, who finished 2015 with nine catches for 115 yards and one touchdown, spent the first six weeks of the 2016 season on the reserve/physically unable to perform list. He caught one pass for 20 yards in 2016.

After taking two safeties with their first two picks, the Jets opted for Stewart and Hansen, but Maccagnan insisted that Smith’s injury wasn’t the main reason for his run on pass-catchers. He said the Jets considered this “a good year for receivers in terms of depth and value, so it just kind of worked itself out that way. We didn’t go in with the idea that we’re going to add a receiver because of what happened with Devin.”

He added, “We actually think we have a good group of young receivers, plus Eric [Decker]. And then I think going into it, we just felt, ‘Hey, let’s make this thing more competitive.’ ”

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-lose-receiver-devin-smith-to-torn-acl-1.13543151

Devin Smith being hurt is not a reason to draft two WRs. I can't imagine they were ever depending on him to be anything more than a #5 WR this year. They drafted two WRs because they want to move on from Eric Decker sooner rather than later and, maybe, they were the BAPs at that point in time. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Devin Smith being hurt is not a reason to draft two WRs. I can't imagine they were ever depending on him to be anything more than a #5 WR this year. They drafted two WRs because they want to move on from Eric Decker sooner rather than later and, maybe, they were the BAPs at that point in time. 

So you are implying that we are going to go with all unproven WR's with the exception of Enunwa to welcome in a rookie QB in Hackenberg. 

This could be Clyde Gates,David Nelson all over again. 

No way in hell. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

So you are implying that we are going to go with all unproven WR's with the exception of Enunwa to welcome in a rookie QB in Hackenberg. 

No way in hell. 

I don't think Decker will be on the team next year. This year? I wouldn't be shocked if he's cut. 

I don't feel like Robby Anderson is unproven, and Peake and Marshall showed something, too. WRs taken in the third and fourth rounds are gonna make the roster. Throw in Enunwa, and which of those six guys do you cut to hold onto Decker? Or do you carry seven WRs?

18 minutes ago, slats said:

I don't think Decker will be on the team next year. This year? I wouldn't be shocked if he's cut. 

I don't feel like Robby Anderson is unproven, and Peake and Marshall showed something, too. WRs taken in the third and fourth rounds are gonna make the roster. Throw in Enunwa, and which of those six guys do you cut to hold onto Decker? Or do you carry seven WRs?

Being we wont be carrying 4 QB's that could be a possibility. 

Decker stays because of experience and leadership at the WR position. 

Do we just cut/injury settlement Smith to add some cap space? I'm thinking he's done or at least will never regain his speed and agility.

Sad story but dems is da breaks.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Since he will miss the entire season, does that mean we get a one-year extension on his contract? It may be worth holding on to him as he won't count on the 53 man roster; if we let him go while he is injured, we have to make a payout settlement anyway.

4 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Wow, I didn't even know he was still here. 

It's because Smith has been working his fingers to the bone crocheting "NY Jets Hells Yeah" tea cozies for the players, coaches and staff.  After being hurt so much, Smith felt like he needed to do something to contribute to the team.   And, for the record, Smith paid for all the yarn out of his own pocket.  Kid is a mensch. 

I think Decker stays for part of the year, maybe a trade around the deadline for a team that's looking to get over the hump?

Sucks for Smith, unfortunately injuries like this are just out of your control. 

On 4/30/2017 at 10:00 AM, slats said:

Also, this league is all about the passing game - given the rules. Find a QB, and constantly be loading up on receiving weapons, and on the other side the secondary to stop the pass. 

On 4/30/2017 at 10:03 AM, joewilly12 said:

No way in hell. 

Enumwa, Anderson and Peake are light years better than the crap you just listed . They might be young and less experienced but talent wise its night and day.

I think it was commented here that Smith was partying very hard.

Jets Security would know that.

Living that way is hard on an athlete's body.  My guess is that many players who get injured are ones that are partying too hard.

If this was the case, he may be a complete writeoff.  Don't know how much of a 2nd Round Contract is guaranteed.

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think it was commented here that Smith was partying very hard.

Jets Security would know that.

Living that way is hard on an athlete's body.  My guess is that many players who get injured are ones that are partying too hard.

If this was the case, he may be a complete writeoff.  Don't know how much of a 2nd Round Contract is guaranteed.

Didnt Smith wreck his car in college because he was still bombed from the night before?  The booze stuff always seemed to be a bit under the radar with him...but the whispers were always there.

On May 2, 2017 at 6:00 PM, Matt39 said:

Didnt Smith wreck his car in college because he was still bombed from the night before?  The booze stuff always seemed to be a bit under the radar with him...but the whispers were always there.

Don't worry Jamal Adams's leadership will fix him

On 5/2/2017 at 2:23 PM, bgivs21 said:

I think Decker stays for part of the year, maybe a trade around the deadline for a team that's looking to get over the hump?

Sucks for Smith, unfortunately injuries like this are just out of your control. 

Nobody is trading for 30 yr old Decker w/ that contract and coming off double surgeries - 

Big mistake to let go of decker, he's a qb's best friend- caught passes consistently from the likes of Tebow and Geno. He goes after the ball aggressively and can often bail out a qb's poor pass. Would be a great go to guy for one of our young qb's or even our old one. 

3 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Big mistake to let go of decker, he's a qb's best friend- caught passes consistently from the likes of Tebow and Geno. He goes after the ball aggressively and can often bail out a qb's poor pass. Would be a great go to guy for one of our young qb's or even our old one. 

Two years ago we had the best WR duo in the NFL.  Now, meh

6 hours ago, roscoeword said:

We kept Breno last year and he ended up doing nothing and cost cap space that could have been carried forward.

Question is whether he is worth the injury/recovery risk and related cap space. 

He should restructure for a lower amount and play the role of the sage veteran while he keeps his house and family in NJ.

Archived