Positives and Negatives post-draft

Phillyjet

Positives:

1) We shored up the back-end of the secondary.  The Adams pick was great.  I didn't think he'd be on the board, and I had mocked Marcus Maye in round 2, so can't be disappointed there.  For scheme, Bowles likes to play his safeties (sometimes three of them), so can't complain here.  Thought Howard would be the pick, but also was concerned with his lack of production in college... not sure he loves the game.  We had the potential to be in no-man's land at 6, but experienced Leonard Williams part 2

2) The more I think about Ardarius Stewart, the more I think that he may end up being a fan favorite from this draft.  Will toughen up the receiving corps day 1; a nice replacement for Marshall.  With Devin Smith's injury, think that Decker sticks this year unless his injuries hold him back.

3) Nothing else matters other than seeing if Hack has the goods this year.  They went all in on him.  Time to find out what he's got.  They committed to a plan; they are sticking with it.  If it fails, we know where we are going in the first round next year.

4) The two CB's in Round 7 were nice developmental prospects (size, weight and speed), and can be practice squad candidates if they don't make the team.  In Round 7, nice to take a prospect like Jeremy Clark, who they bought low coming off of injury.  Sidney Jones was intriguing, but I had mocked him in the late 3rd; no guarantee a CB comes back off of an Achilles injury (ended Dee Milliner's career).

Now the negatives:

1) I think the Jets got a little too cute taking Chad Hansen at the end of Round 4.  Great production, but lacked explosion and may have a difficult time separating from NFL CBs.  Plus they had their pick of TEs at that point.  Yes, they got Leggett, but he is more one-dimensional than Butt or Kittle.  Makes me wonder where Leggett was rated on their board compared to those two. 

2) I like trading to get more picks, but you had to wonder whether the Jets got a little too cute and left some talent on the board.  Starting with the first pick in the third, the Vikings came up and took Pat Elflein the center from Ohio State, who I was convinced the Jets might pick in that spot.  Yeah, Jordan Willis went later in the round, but he was not a scheme fit for us as a hand in the dirt guy.  The other ones in the third that stood out who we passed on were Antonio Garcia the OT, and Shaquill Griffin, a CB who lit up the combine this year, and will quickly ascend in Seattle.  In the 4th, their trade-downs had them passing on Vince Biegel, who would have been a nice replacement for Harris moving forward.  Also lost out on Julien Davenport, the OT from Bucknell.   We will need to follow these guys to see if the trade-downs were worth it.

3) So, where did we miss out most?  No offensive line talent in this draft.  Either Macc knew that they sucked in this draft, or he outsmarted himself.  The Elflein pick is the most glaring, and I also assume the rumor of the Jets trading up in Round 2 was for Cam Robinson or Forrest Lamp.  But in the end, all they got was a UDFA Javarious Leamon.  They are woefully thin on the line.  An injury or two, and it won't matter who lines up behind center for the Jets this year.   Also worth pointing out how thin our CBs are, in one of the deepest corner drafts in recent memory.  Marcus Maye is a great player, but I would have been happier with Chidobe Awuzie or one of the highly rated corners in Round 2.  The last 2 picks (Clark and Jones)  at least stopped the bleeding.

18 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Positives:

1) We shored up the back-end of the secondary.  The Adams pick was great.  I didn't think he'd be on the board, and I had mocked Marcus Maye in round 2, so can't be disappointed there.  For scheme, Bowles likes to play his safeties (sometimes three of them), so can't complain here.  Thought Howard would be the pick, but also was concerned with his lack of production in college... not sure he loves the game.  We had the potential to be in no-man's land at 6, but experienced Leonard Williams part 2

2) The more I think about Ardarius Stewart, the more I think that he may end up being a fan favorite from this draft.  Will toughen up the receiving corps day 1; a nice replacement for Marshall.  With Devin Smith's injury, think that Decker sticks this year unless his injuries hold him back.

3) Nothing else matters other than seeing if Hack has the goods this year.  They went all in on him.  Time to find out what he's got.  They committed to a plan; they are sticking with it.  If it fails, we know where we are going in the first round next year.

4) The two CB's in Round 7 were nice developmental prospects (size, weight and speed), and can be practice squad candidates if they don't make the team.  In Round 7, nice to take a prospect like Jeremy Clark, who they bought low coming off of injury.  Sidney Jones was intriguing, but I had mocked him in the late 3rd; no guarantee a CB comes back off of an Achilles injury (ended Dee Milliner's career).

Now the negatives:

1) I think the Jets got a little too cute taking Chad Hansen at the end of Round 4.  Great production, but lacked explosion and may have a difficult time separating from NFL CBs.  Plus they had their pick of TEs at that point.  Yes, they got Leggett, but he is more one-dimensional than Butt or Kittle.  Makes me wonder where Leggett was rated on their board compared to those two. 

2) I like trading to get more picks, but you had to wonder whether the Jets got a little too cute and left some talent on the board.  Starting with the first pick in the third, the Vikings came up and took Pat Elflein the center from Ohio State, who I was convinced the Jets might pick in that spot.  Yeah, Jordan Willis went later in the round, but he was not a scheme fit for us as a hand in the dirt guy.  The other ones in the third that stood out who we passed on were Antonio Garcia the OT, and Raquill Griffin, a CB who lit up the combine this year, and will quickly ascend in Seattle.  In the 4th, their trade-downs had them passing on Vince Biegel, who would have been a nice replacement for Harris moving forward.  Also lost out on Julien Davenport, the OT from Bucknell.   We will need to follow these guys to see if the trade-downs were worth it.

3) So, where did we miss out most?  No offensive line talent in this draft.  Either Macc knew that they sucked in this draft, or he outsmarted himself.  The Elflein pick is the most glaring, and I also assume the rumor of the Jets trading up in Round 2 was for Cam Robinson or Forrest Lamp.  But in the end, all they got was a UDFA Javarious Leamon.  They are woefully thin on the line.  An injury or two, and it won't matter who lines up behind center for the Jets this year.   Also worth pointing out how thin our CBs are, in one of the deepest corner drafts in recent memory.  Marcus Maye is a great player, but I would have been happier with Chidobe Awuzie or one of the highly rated corners in Round 2.  The last 2 picks (Clark and Jones)  at least stopped the bleeding.

Yep we blew that by not getting a C.

I disagree of Hansen. I think he has great upside for this team. He only has college tape for one season and it was a great one. He could be a steal.

He has great ball skills and can go up and fight for the ball. He doesn't wait for the ball to come to him. He makes guys miss and can catch quick passes and turn them into nice gains. That can help out a young QB. And he has the ability to be a great deep threat.

I like ArDarius. But I like Hansen even more.

2 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Yep we blew that by not getting a C.

They have WJohnson and put a 2nd round tender on him so they think high enough on him to do that, and also signed Jonotthan Harrison to B/U...

As for the "No offensive line talent in this draft.  Either Macc knew that they sucked in this draft, or he outsmarted himself"

Everybody knew the OL talent was thin in this draft...

Teams will be releasing players over the next couple of months so there may be some flyers to take a shot on...Heck if he wants to sign for the vet minimum or a performance based deal you could always give Clady another look 

36 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Positives:

Now the negatives:

2) I like trading to get more picks, but you had to wonder whether the Jets got a little too cute and left some talent on the board.  Starting with the first pick in the third, the Vikings came up and took Pat Elflein the center from Ohio State, who I was convinced the Jets might pick in that spot.  Yeah, Jordan Willis went later in the round, but he was not a scheme fit for us as a hand in the dirt guy.  The other ones in the third that stood out who we passed on were Antonio Garcia the OT, and Shaquill Griffin, a CB who lit up the combine this year, and will quickly ascend in Seattle.  In the 4th, their trade-downs had them passing on Vince Biegel, who would have been a nice replacement for Harris moving forward.  Also lost out on Julien Davenport, the OT from Bucknell.   We will need to follow these guys to see if the trade-downs were worth it.

Good job.   The only point I have an issue with is Hansen.  IMO he is going to be one of the better picks in this draft.  Real tough kid who makes circus catches.  He won't stretch  the field, but he'll move the chains

36 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Positives:

Sadly, I think ALOT of fans are in for some serious, meaningful, disappointment this year, when McCown leads the team on the field opening day....and for as many gamedays thereafter as he stays healthy.

I'm glad they avoided the QB position in this draft. Let's see what Hackenberg can do for real, then address the position in the first round next year if need be. 

Back to back safeties in the first two rounds was almost shocking, but if these kids are the team's starters sometime this year, and doing a good job, there probably won't be a lot of complaining. 

The team needed OL help and completely whiffed. That was disappointing. 

If they got their punt returner in the 6th round, I'll be pleased. 

Passing on Cook was probably the smart thing to do, despite the whining here. 

12 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I disagree of Hansen. I think he has great upside for this team. He only has college tape for one season and it was a great one. He could be a steal.

He has great ball skills and can go up and fight for the ball. He doesn't wait for the ball to come to him. He makes guys miss and can catch quick passes and turn them into nice gains. That can help out a young QB. And he has the ability to be a great deep threat.

Not down on Hansen, but those six picks or so are what's getting me.  Quite possible he is there in the early 5th.  They had their choice of TEs in that spot.  You can't consider the Hansen pick without also considering how Butt, Kittle, and Leggett turn out.  I like Leggett's upside but if you are lazy in college, I don't see that getting better in the pros.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sadly, I think ALOT of fans are in for some serious, meaningful, disappointment this year, when McCown leads the team on the field opening day....and for as many gamedays thereafter as he stays healthy.

Hear ya, but at least we'll know what we got.  This team was difficult to root for, at least there will be mild curiousity to see if Hack has any potential.

2 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Not down on Hansen, but those six picks or so are what's getting me.  Quite possible he is there in the early 5th.  They had their choice of TEs in that spot.  You can't consider the Hansen pick without also considering how Butt, Kittle, and Leggett turn out.  I like Leggett's upside but if you are lazy in college, I don't see that getting better in the pros.

Have to agree with you about Leggett, hopefully he is not another Amaro. The lazy label is concerning especially when he describes himself as lazy. Hopefully he gets motivated in the NFL not more lazy after he gets paid.

Adams was the safest pick int he draft and barring injury should get signed to a second contract as a solid starter for this team for a long time, Jets need more of these players so that is good

Bottom of the draft has potential; I like HansenLeggettDonahue, Clark...

Getting an extra 5th round pick next year was good

I think Cook and Elflein in the 2nd and 3rd rounds would have energized the Jets offense and maybe the fan base “Obviously the Jets known something that, you know, the people up here don’t,” Mike Eisenberg

40 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If the Jets are serious about rebuilding, they HAVE TO see if Hackenberg  is the real deal or not. The only way McCown should see significant playing time is due to injury or catastrophically poor play from both Hack and Petty. There is no way they can sell McCown as the starter to the fan base now.. 

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

If the Jets are serious about rebuilding, they HAVE TO see if Hackenberg  is the real deal or not. The only way McCown should see significant playing time is due to injury or catastrophically poor play from both Hack and Petty. There is no way they can sell McCown as the starter to the fan base now.. 

Agree at this point it has to be Hackenberg or bust, if McCown sees the field the end is near for Macc and Bowles. 

50 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I learned here that starting QBs cost $12M. McCown didn't cost $12M, therefore he's not a starting QB. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Maybe we can bring IK back for a practice or two to help move things along?

If McCown starts more than a few games, they either;

A. Have zero confidence in Hackenberg and or Petty. 

B. Are purposely tanking the season. 

C. Are looking to get run out of town by the fans. 

D. All of the above. 

2 hours ago, sciond said:

I liked this draft. We need more than one draft to fix this team and it is a start.

It had the potential to be So Much Better. The Maye pick was atrocious. It blocked and twisted the rest of the draft. At rd 2 we desperately needed to upgrade several other positions. So many other higher rated players were there for the taking and would have filled a more dire need. And trading down down down got more picks but really lowered the quality of players we got. Grade D. Why? We whiffed on getting a center or top corner. Inexcusable since both were to be had. We spent 2 picks on WR's when we a a gazzillion of them already. One would have sufficed. No need to double dip as Maxman states. Who needs wr's when you have no QB anyways. Brady could throw to his grandpa and still be MVP. We got a TE who can't block his sister and 2 cb's who'll never see the field. Oh and we got a shrimp Edge rusher to make Darren Lee feel right at home. Mac is over his head. And even if we go 0-16, Mac will be safer than a kitty wrapped up in a cotton blanket since we have no QB..... and that's not his fault, right. All his stupid moves are forgiven since we haven't had the opportunity to find that missing link. 

3) So, where did we miss out most?  No offensive line talent in this draft.  Either Macc knew that they sucked in this draft, or he outsmarted himself.  The Elflein pick is the most glaring, and I also assume the rumor of the Jets trading up in Round 2 was for Cam Robinson or Forrest Lamp.  But in the end, all they got was a UDFA Javarious Leamon.  They are woefully thin on the line.  An injury or two, and it won't matter who lines up behind center for the Jets this year.   Also worth pointing out how thin our CBs are, in one of the deepest corner drafts in recent memory.  Marcus Maye is a great player, but I would have been happier with Chidobe Awuzie or one of the highly rated corners in Round 2.  The last 2 picks (Clark and Jones)  at least stopped the bleeding.

This.

Not taking any OL guys with this many picks is malfeasance. Even if you buy into 4 DBs being a priority and picking taking safeties 1 and 2 is ...okay..., you will be starting any of the QBs with what amounts to bubblegum and duct tape when you could have addressed this. And we KNOW the offense will consist of 2 runs up the gut and an incompletion or pass short of the stick on 3rd and 8. Not sure how they expect to gain any yards at all on the run nor protect the QB with this crew. This could be the worst offense not only in the NFL this year but ever. 

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I agree on Hanson.  By far, the best receiver in the Pac 12 using either production or the eyeball test as a measure.  His transition from Idaho State to higher level competition was seamless. He's polished and pro-ready.  Stewart is a completely different type of receiver, with most of his yards coming from YAC.  He is a nasty, physical receiver who fights for the ball and every extra yard.  Stewart flew under the radar simply because of where he played and the style of offense there. Jets fans are going to love what he brings to the team.  This team added toughness on both sides of the ball in this draft.

9 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

I agree on Hanson.  By far, the best receiver in the Pac 12 using either production or the eyeball test as a measure.  His transition from Idaho State to higher level competition was seamless. He's polished and pro-ready.  Stewart is a completely different type of receiver, with most of his yards coming from YAC.  He is a nasty, physical receiver who fights for the ball and every extra yard.  Stewart flew under the radar simply because of where he played and the style of offense there. Jets fans are going to love what he brings to the team.  This team added toughness on both sides of the ball in this draft.

Agreed.  The question is can any of our QBs get the ball to these tough WRs in under 3 seconds...

Just now, nycdan said:

Agreed.  The question is can any of our QBs get the ball to these tough WRs in under 3 seconds...

It's going to have to be < 3 seconds.  I think the new OC is going to spread the ball around and largely use quick passes because of our QB warts. 

30 minutes ago, Powpow said:

It had the potential to be So Much Better. The Maye pick was atrocious. It blocked and twisted the rest of the draft. At rd 2 we desperately needed to upgrade several other positions. So many other higher rated players were there for the taking and would have filled a more dire need. And trading down down down got more picks but really lowered the quality of players we got. Grade D. Why? We whiffed on getting a center or top corner. Inexcusable since both were to be had. We spent 2 picks on WR's when we a a gazzillion of them already. One would have sufficed. No need to double dip as Maxman states. Who needs wr's when you have no QB anyways. Brady could throw to his grandpa and still be MVP. We got a TE who can't block his sister and 2 cb's who'll never see the field. Oh and we got a shrimp Edge rusher to make Darren Lee feel right at home. Mac is over his head. And even if we go 0-16, Mac will be safer than a kitty wrapped up in a cotton blanket since we have no QB..... and that's not his fault, right. All his stupid moves are forgiven since we haven't had the opportunity to find that missing link. 

2nd round tender was given to Johnson so I think that tells us what the Jets think of him  

How is Safety not a major need? You need 2 especially in a passing league and based on last yr we didn't have any, especially safeties that can stop 40 yard completions. Please don't say Miles or Middleton because you'd be embarrassing yourself. 

All I've been reading on Maye is that he has the range, smarts, talents to play deep, or in the box.  Jets sure didn't have anyone to do that last year.  

I think a lot of posters here are in over their heads. 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/04/ball_hawk_with_big_range_scouting_reports_on_marcu.html

2 hours ago, slats said:

I learned here that starting QBs cost $12M. McCown didn't cost $12M, therefore he's not a starting QB. 

he gives us "the best chance to win."  Can 0% still be the best chance to win?  Guy never wins

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

2nd round tender was given to Johnson so I think that tells us what the Jets think of him  

How is Safety not a major need? You need 2 especially in a passing league and based on last yr we didn't have any, especially safeties that can stop 40 yard completions. Please don't say Miles or Middleton because you'd be embarrassing yourself. 

All I've been reading on Maye is that he has the range, smarts, talents to play deep, or in the box.  Jets sure didn't have anyone to do that last year.  

I think a lot of posters here are in over their heads. 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/04/ball_hawk_with_big_range_scouting_reports_on_marcu.html

Miles played decently. He'd be able to fill in until we get a true FS. No need to have to 'double dip' with so many OTHER glaring needs like CB, OL, Edge, TE. What's embarrassing is we have a GM who is clueless and a fan base that kisses his azz like he's some sort of genius when in reality he's as clueless as the day is long. 

2 minutes ago, jack48 said:

he gives us "the best chance to win."  Can 0% still be the best chance to win?  Guy never wins

Who's talking about winning this coming year? We're talking about losing! McGowan gives us the best chance to LOSE.  And Hack, well, no need to even address that. We might as well lose with some kind of dignity. 

3 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Miles played decently. He'd be able to fill in until we get a true FS. No need to have to 'double dip' with so many OTHER glaring needs like CB, OL, Edge, TE. What's embarrassing is we have a GM who is clueless and a fan base that kisses his azz like he's some sort of genius when in reality he's as clueless as the day is long. 

LOL..ok then

Rontez is not a starting NFL safety.  Good story and guy, but not that.  Backup and special teams.  And if he is a safety, he is a SS.

Bowles is betting on Adams and Mayes and his safeties and also nickleback.  He is going to have the corners push WRs to the sidelines.  

3 hours ago, slats said:

I'm glad they avoided the QB position in this draft. Let's see what Hackenberg can do for real, then address the position in the first round next year if need be. 

Back to back safeties in the first two rounds was almost shocking, but if these kids are the team's starters sometime this year, and doing a good job, there probably won't be a lot of complaining. 

The team needed OL help and completely whiffed. That was disappointing. 

If they got their punt returner in the 6th round, I'll be pleased. 

Passing on Cook was probably the smart thing to do, despite the whining here. 

Great post, agree with all of it

Archived