Positives and Negatives post-draft

Phillyjet

1 hour ago, thshadow said:

My only concern is - how much are we going to be able to learn about our QBs if they're always on their back?

This wasn't a great draft to help build an O-Line thru but I agree that the lack on interest in addressing the O-Line in general is concerning. Guy's like Wesley Johnson, Beachum, and Shell are still huge question marks as to whether or not they are legitimate starting caliber lineman in this league. Winters has become reliable and Carpentar is the only guys whose above average at his position on the entire O-Line. Huge problem.

-I agree on your evaluation of the S picks. While I think taking back-to-back safeties would have been nonsensical for any other team, considering our current personnel and how imperative it is for Bowles to have two combination for his defense works, it made sense to me. 

Obviously, some hyped Adams as the best player in the draft so that was a great value. I'm a huge Marcus Maye fan as well. After watching him extensively at UF, though, I do disagree with the staff thinking he's better in pass coverage than up around the line. If there's something I'm worried about, it's that I'm not sure they're fantastic compliments - I think they're both more so guys you play down around the line of scrimmage or over the slot.

-While I like Stewart and am intrigued by Hansen, WR seemed like way less of a need than MANY other positions on the roster. Even with Smith's torn ACL, we still have 8 WR's who can make the final 53. If Decker's getting cut and we're giving up on Jalin Marshall, then that'll get us down to 6. I'm not sure I'd give up on Marshall, though.

-I really like the picks of Leggett and McGuire. Leggett's the type of guy we should target in the late rounds - a guy with all of the upside in the world, but has had some things (in his case, attitude) holding him back. He's basically guaranteed a roster spot considering our depth chart. McGuire's also got the athleticism, versatility, and college production where I'd be really surprised if he didn't make the roster as the 3rd back.

-Not a fan of the Donahue pick for reasons why I liked the Leggett pick. Just not sure he has the talent and upside to amount to much. Really hope he can at least provide special teams value.

-I liked the size/speed combination of our 6th round CB's - really good scheme fits if they can stick. Ideally, this position would have been addressed earlier. Similarly to safeties, I'm not sure how Bowles will be able to do what he wants to do on defense with our current CB's.

-Would have liked an OL, but I understand not taking one in a draft with a very weak crop. I do think Maccagnan will need to get over his aversion to taking OL early, though if we're going to construct the roster the right way. 

-I liked the strategy of accumulating more picks, but I do agree with wishing we kept more picks in the 2nd-4th round range. I think we could have traded down in the 2nd - the fact we were trying to trade up for Maye is pretty concerning. I think we probably should have gotten more value if were were going to trade down in the sweet spot of the draft in exchange for 6th round picks.

-Really happy we avoided taking a QB at any point in this draft.

5 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I disagree of Hansen. I think he has great upside for this team. He only has college tape for one season and it was a great one. He could be a steal.

He has great ball skills and can go up and fight for the ball. He doesn't wait for the ball to come to him. He makes guys miss and can catch quick passes and turn them into nice gains. That can help out a young QB. And he has the ability to be a great deep threat.

I like ArDarius. But I like Hansen even more.

I think Ardarius Stewart is the perfect complimentary #2 underneath receiver outside, while Hansen is more of a Decker clone who runs great routes, has excellent hands and can get behind the defense occasionally if you're not paying attention to him . With Enunwa, Anderson and Peake having the outside speed that keeps defenses honest .

I like the makeup of this receiving core, and the best part is with maybe the exception of Enunwa, all these guys catch the football extremely well  .

52 minutes ago, D'Pez Poopsie said:

-I liked the strategy of accumulating more picks, but I do agree with wishing we kept more picks in the 2nd-4th round range. I think we could have traded down in the 2nd - the fact we were trying to trade up for Maye is pretty concerning. I think we probably should have gotten more value if were were going to trade down in the sweet spot of the draft in exchange for 6th round picks.

-Really happy we avoided taking a QB at any point in this draft.

We'll probably never know but IMO they weren't trying to trade up for Maye. I'm guessing it was for a higher ranked player on their board possibly Kenny King or Cam Robinson.

10 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I think Ardarius Stewart is the perfect complimentary #2 underneath receiver outside, while Hansen is more of a Decker clone who runs great routes, has excellent hands and can get behind the defense occasionally if you're not paying attention to him . With Enunwa, Anderson and Peake having the outside speed that keeps defenses honest .

I like the makeup of this receiving core, and the best part is with maybe the exception of Enunwa, all these guys catch the football extremely well  .

And their all young! Let's get Hack in there to take his lumps but also to start getting into sync with all these youngsters. We didn't take a rookie RB high because we need the stability of Forte & Powells blocking skills, plus both are good at catching out of the backfield (2 coaches for Hack on the field). Psyched about Morton and the WCO, awesome picks in Stewart & Hansen based on their YAC ability. You don't have to be a burner in the NFL if you have great start & stop and can accelerate quickly which both of these guys do well. CBs will be challenged continuously to make tackles in the run game but will have to navigate through some really good tough blocking WRs, Enunwa, Stewart & Hansen. I'm hoping Peake is a keeper & he hit the weight room too in the offseason. A 4 wide group of Enunwa, Peake, Stewart & Hansen  would be tough for any secondary if these guys are blocking on a screen or delayed handoff. Great size & strength across the board. 

Plus they are all big strong targets for Hackenberg. Some of these guys can just post up on some little nickels in a WCO or be a huge pain in the azz working bubble screens.

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

We'll probably never know but IMO they weren't trying to trade up for Maye. I'm guessing it was for a higher ranked player on their board possibly Kenny King or Cam Robinson.

Or maybe it could be that the trade up was more about trying to rid themselves of Richardson than the actual player they would take with the pick . I think any trade up was more about using Richardson in the trade than any  additional picks in other rounds . 

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

2nd round tender was given to Johnson so I think that tells us what the Jets think of him  

How is Safety not a major need? You need 2 especially in a passing league and based on last yr we didn't have any, especially safeties that can stop 40 yard completions. Please don't say Miles or Middleton because you'd be embarrassing yourself. 

All I've been reading on Maye is that he has the range, smarts, talents to play deep, or in the box.  Jets sure didn't have anyone to do that last year.  

I think a lot of posters here are in over their heads. 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/04/ball_hawk_with_big_range_scouting_reports_on_marcu.html

Thank you..,,,,

Jets fans often live in a fantasy land zone regarding the players on the team. 

Indeed that was one of Rex's biggest shortcomings which was the constantly gassing up guys who shouldn't have been  in the NFL it at least not on the Jets. 

The team has poor talent and it will take awhile for them to build a credible talent pool again. 

Would point out that the team that arguably made the biggest jump in 2016 with a young QB last year was Dallas. And they were able to do so because they had spent high picks on the OL over several drafts. It put either Romo or the Prescott in the best possible position.In the last 2 years we have lost perennial Pro Bowlers at the 2 most important spots on the line and done nothing to replace them spare Winters and Carpenter approaching average.Now fair to say Mangold and Brick were not the players they were, but still, at a loss how anyone looks at this offense and sees it being  anything other  than awful. Like the TE pick, but picking more WRs when you don't have any OL foundation looks really dumb. 

3 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

New OC new system. Probably new blocking system predicated on fast reads mobile front. Not worried about the OL all that much.

Tell that to the QB's when they all end up on IR. But hey didnt Mac draft someone who can play some QB  ?

18 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Would point out that the team that arguably made the biggest jump in 2016 with a young QB last year was Dallas. And they were able to do so because they had spent high picks on the OL over several drafts. It put either Romo or the Prescott in the best possible position.In the last 2 years we have lost perennial Pro Bowlers at the 2 most important spots on the line and done nothing to replace them spare Winters and Carpenter approaching average.Now fair to say Mangold and Brick were not the players they were, but still, at a loss how anyone looks at this offense and sees it being  anything other  than awful. Like the TE pick, but picking more WRs when you don't have any OL foundation looks really dumb. 

Like very dumb or spectacularly dumb? I was enamored with all the talent in the 2nd round at CB, TE, RB and Edge but you are absolutely 100% right on. The 2nd round pick should have addressed the OL. At the least you take Center Ethan Pocic since Cam and Lamp had just came off the board before our turn. You're good for the next 10 years there. 

26 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Agreed, in theory, but this was an awful draft class for offensive lineman. 

This team had plenty of needs and addressed many of them but macc just isn't the kind of guy to reach for players based on need.. Especially in a rebuild year. 

We should have a high pick next year and plenty of cap room. I expect to see us go QB/OL heavy next off-season.

12 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I disagree of Hansen. I think he has great upside for this team. He only has college tape for one season and it was a great one. He could be a steal.

He has great ball skills and can go up and fight for the ball. He doesn't wait for the ball to come to him. He makes guys miss and can catch quick passes and turn them into nice gains. That can help out a young QB. And he has the ability to be a great deep threat.

I like ArDarius. But I like Hansen even more.

Couldn't agree more.

really like Hansen and he'll be better than Stewart in the long run.

Hansen- Leggett- who I really like- are way better than Butt- whatever other wr combo we could've got.

Otherwise good post OP

Archived