Draft Grade's

Squirt

Does anyone feel this years draft was an A+? I give it a C-. How do they expect any QB to develop with a questionable O line? Not even a veteran can have success with a weak O-Line. Long season ahead. Mac and Bowles may be gone after this year.

1 minute ago, Squirt said:

Does anyone feel this years draft was an A+? I give it a C-. How do they expect any QB to develop with a questionable O line? Not even a veteran can have success with a weak O-Line. Long season ahead. Mac and Bowles may be gone after this year.

The draft isn't the only way to bring players in, we still have time to address the oline.

4 minutes ago, MTJ06 said:

The draft isn't the only way to bring players in, we still have time to address the oline.

Why are so many people panicking with the OL? The draft was terribly weak in OL and I honestly don't feel our OL is THAT bad. Could C be better? Yes. Am I sold on Beechum as a long term answer? No, but its not like they have some massive sink hole either. Not to mention they still have some "depth" at OT in Iljana a Shell. After cuts hopefully they can secure better depth at OG and C, but the sky isn't falling and it's far from the weakest unit on the Jets. 

17 minutes ago, Squirt said:

The OL is the only area we addressed in FA

Draft is a total crap shoot. In no way can production be graded at this point. Jets have so many holes to fill. Mac drafted a lot of compatition at a number of spot so from a potential perspective this draft was an A. Not every position was addressed but some very talented on paper players were drafted and there will major competition at the positions addressed. Jets are in a rebuild mode. Last year wide receiver and linebackers were addressed this year secondary and wide Recievers again ( Smith injury and Marshall release ). Heck even Tightend was addressed. Not every position is overly talented in the draft and allows for it being addressed. When the compatition level is elevated as it has bin the grade needs to be an A.

I think it's an A+.  Would this team be any better in 2017 ( or after) by reaching for a QB or OTearly on in this draft?

None of the OL in this draft were ranked any where near the bunch that were drafted early last year.  We drafted two elite safeties with our first two picks.  Going forward, Macc has drafted Williams to anchor the DL, Lee and Jenkins to hopefully settle the LBs, and now Adams and Maye to anchor the back end of the D.

IMO, we get our QB next April, and we can then concentrate on drafting the pieces to put around him.

From Walterfootball

jetsb_logo.gif New York Jets: A Grade 
 Goals Entering the 2017 NFL Draft: The Jets happen to be in the worst shape of any team in the NFL. Like the 49ers and Browns, they are devoid of talent almost everywhere. However, they lack the cap space to do anything about it outside of the draft. With so many holes on the roster, the Jets need to trade down early and often to acquire as many rosterable players as possible. 

2017 NFL Draft Accomplishments: The Jets had to move down early and often, as suggested, and that's exactly what they managed to do. General manager Mike Maccagnan did a masterful job of wheeling and dealing throughout the weekend, acquiring resources on numerous occasions. This was absolutely imperative, as Daniel Jeremiah echoed what I wrote in the goal mock prior to the draft: The Jets, at least prior to the draft, had the worst roster in the NFL. 

Not only did the Jets move down many times, but they also picked up some talented players in the process. They began the weekend by selecting two talented safeties, and yes, they needed two. Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye will automatically improve one of the worst secondaries in the NFL. Meanwhle, three offensive weapons were added in ArDarius Stewart, Chad Hansen and Jordan Leggett. They were quality selections, especially Leggett, who was a steal in the fifth round. 

I'm sure some will consider this a failure of a draft for the Jets because they didn't acquire a quarterback. However, that was never the plan. Charlie Campbell reported back in January that quarterback was not in play for the Jets because they liked how Christian Hackenberg was progressing behind the scenes. And even if Hackenberg sucks, the 2018 NFL Draft is loaded with better quarterbacks - check out the 2018 NFL Mock Draft for more - so the Jets can just wait to acquire Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen or Josh Allen. 

The Jets had a terrific draft overall, as Maccagnan did what he could to upgrade the talent on the roster as many ways as possible. There's still a long way to go, but this was a nice start. 
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgradesteam.php#VbS0JSoicaVZFPhh.99

From Pete Prisco:

NYJ.pngNew York Jets

They landed a gem in first-round LSU safety Jamal Adams, but why come back and take safety Marcus Maye in the second? There were other needs. They did get two receivers with their next two picks, and I really like Cal's Chad Hansen in the fourth. Sixth-round runner Elijah McGuire could be a steal in that spot. I expected more out of this class.

Grade: C+

Kiper:

New York Jets: B+

Top needs: Quarterback, offensive tackle, tight end

New York didn't address its top two needs -- QB and OT -- with this class, but here's why I'm not faulting the strategy: The Jets clearly went best-player-available throughout the class, and they didn't reach. That's hugely important for a team with one of the worst all-around rosters in the league. So while I don't think their quarterback of the future is on their roster, I can't knock not seeing the value in taking a developmental signal-caller when Christian Hackenberg is already that guy. And in one of the worst offensive line classes in recent history, they didn't try to get a raw prospect in the middle rounds. They stuck to their board, and I can respect that.

Jamal Adams is simply a fantastic player and value at No. 6 overall, and Marcus Maye at the top of the second round is right where I thought he'd go. This puts the roster spots of Calvin Pryor and Marcus Gilchrist in tenuous positions, but New York is at least willing to see its flaws and try to correct them. Ardarius Stewart, Chad Hansen and Jordan Leggett all should help the passing game -- and whoever's throwing them the ball. Leggett, in particular, could be a starter when the season begins.

Credit general manager Mike Maccagnan, too, for trading down and acquiring extra picks fourtimes, and picking up an extra fifth-round pick in 2018. He knows the roster's deficient, and this isn't a one-year fix.

This was a disciplined draft -- they avoided reaching for need, real or perceived.  Management expectations were realistic since no magic wand was going to fix this mess in a single draft.  Drafting guys like Clark and Jones at the tail end, knowing they will not play in 2017, could turn out to be shrewd moves down the road.

20 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Draft is a total crap shoot. In no way can production be graded at this point. Jets have so many holes to fill. Mac drafted a lot of compatition at a number of spot so from a potential perspective this draft was an A. Not every position was addressed but some very talented on paper players were drafted and there will major competition at the positions addressed. Jets are in a rebuild mode. Last year wide receiver and linebackers were addressed this year secondary and wide Recievers again ( Smith injury and Marshall release ). Heck even Tightend was addressed. Not every position is overly talented in the draft and allows for it being addressed. When the compatition level is elevated as it has bin the grade needs to be an A.

The Jets drafted to the strength of the best suited position groups. It has been a long time since that has occurred. 

42 minutes ago, Squirt said:

Camp cuts are a way to get vets or young OLmen into camp.

image: http://www.walterfootball.com/images/fball/jetsb_logo.gif

jetsb_logo.gif New York Jets: A Grade
Goals Entering the 2017 NFL Draft: The Jets happen to be in the worst shape of any team in the NFL. Like the 49ers and Browns, they are devoid of talent almost everywhere. However, they lack the cap space to do anything about it outside of the draft. With so many holes on the roster, the Jets need to trade down early and often to acquire as many rosterable players as possible.

2017 NFL Draft Accomplishments: The Jets had to move down early and often, as suggested, and that's exactly what they managed to do. General manager Mike Maccagnan did a masterful job of wheeling and dealing throughout the weekend, acquiring resources on numerous occasions. This was absolutely imperative, as Daniel Jeremiah echoed what I wrote in the goal mock prior to the draft: The Jets, at least prior to the draft, had the worst roster in the NFL.

Not only did the Jets move down many times, but they also picked up some talented players in the process. They began the weekend by selecting two talented safeties, and yes, they needed two. Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye will automatically improve one of the worst secondaries in the NFL. Meanwhle, three offensive weapons were added in ArDarius Stewart, Chad Hansen and Jordan Leggett. They were quality selections, especially Leggett, who was a steal in the fifth round.

I'm sure some will consider this a failure of a draft for the Jets because they didn't acquire a quarterback. However, that was never the plan. Charlie Campbell reported back in January that quarterback was not in play for the Jets because they liked how Christian Hackenberg was progressing behind the scenes. And even if Hackenberg sucks, the 2018 NFL Draft is loaded with better quarterbacks - check out the 2018 NFL Mock Draft for more - so the Jets can just wait to acquire Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen or Josh Allen.

The Jets had a terrific draft overall, as Maccagnan did what he could to upgrade the talent on the roster as many ways as possible. There's still a long way to go, but this was a nice start.

See NFL Draft Grades for every single Jets pick.
Read more at http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftgradesteam.php#YqslC33RGp3RTU7A.99

25 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

This was a disciplined draft -- they avoided reaching for need, real or perceived.  Management expectations were realistic since no magic wand was going to fix this mess in a single draft.  Drafting guys like Clark and Jones at the tail end, knowing they will not play in 2017, could turn out to be shrewd moves down the road.

Perfect choice of word - disciplined. This draft got better and better as time went on.  Mac did a good job.

Almost every pick I hear "there are another needs".  There are needs everywhere. 

Why pick a safety in the 2nd?  Because we use two safety's on the field.  

Why not address the o line?  It was a weak draft for the lineman.  

I give the draft an A grading.  We got some potentially very good players and good locker room guys. 

29 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Almost every pick I hear "there are another needs".  There are needs everywhere. 

Why pick a safety in the 2nd?  Because we use two safety's on the field.  

Why not address the o line?  It was a weak draft for the lineman.  

I give the draft an A grading.  We got some potentially very good players and good locker room guys. 

I have to say, I'm more positive than negative on this draft. I wouldn't give it an A just yet, but I certainly get the approach of making the secondary a priority, then going for BAP. I'm guessing Bowles had a strong say in targeting safeties, based on his analysis of breakdowns last year in his schemes. They seem to be okay with Claiborne and (? Burris/Williams/Skrine/McDougle/Ojo... etc.) on the other side. Watching Cook being passed by was hard, as I think that would have  been a steal. Leggett is an intriguing pick at TE -- has high ceiling/low floor, but can be a complete TE. Should be a solid combo with ASJ. I would have pulled the trigger on Peterman in the 4th, but the Jets seem intent on waiting for next year and testing the stable. Hackenberg may indeed surprise us, if he gets his act together. He has the talent and the football IQ.

5 hours ago, Squirt said:

Here is a breakdown of 10 sites, with their draft grades...

CBS:  C+

FOX:  B-

USA Today: B+

SB Nation grade: C+

Sports Illustrated: C-

Washington Post: B

Walter Football: A

NFL.com: B

The Sporting News: A-

Scout (I know): C-

Averages to a B-, which may be on the high side, but not a disaster by any means.  Truth is we won't know for a few years.  Bottom line, we can't change who we picked, so I'm not going to be upset about it.  Just have to root like hell for the team and not worry about what might have been.  Hopefully one of these years we get that franchise QB, surround him with good personnel and go from there.

5 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

The Dude abides.

I can't give it an A+ because we didn't take a QB, address the O-line at all, or take a CB until the 6th round. It was a good draft overall. Jamal Adams is future pro-bowler and ArDarius Stewart was my third-ranked receiver coming into the draft. Hanson and Leggett can both play. We may come out of this draft with 3 or 4 solid starters which would make it an A draft.

Archived