Do you support Christian Hackenberg and think he's the answer to our franchise QB need?

joewilly12

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JAFJET said:

Where would Hackenburg gone in this years draft class? After seeing the ransoms paid by the Bears and the Chiefs this year I don't feel as bad about spending a second rounder on Hackenburg. Mind you I don't feel good about it as I still think we could have gotten him in a later round but I just don't feel as bad.

Good point that has been overlooked. Bears sent a bunch of picks and are redshirtting their #1 pick and #2 overall pick. KC is also planning on redshirt and gave up their first rounder next yr. hack only cost our own second round pick. If he is a bust he will just join our loooong line of 2nd round bust picks, not a tremendous loss in comparison.

Well we have to support him. Is he the answer? Your guess is as good as mine. We will find out. Since the majority expects little from him it just may help him in the long run. I think a lot of guys will be pissed if he does excel since it will end the pipe dream of the Suck for Sam crowd.

Where would Hackenburg gone in this years draft class? After seeing the ransoms paid by the Bears and the Chiefs this year I don't feel as bad about spending a second rounder on Hackenburg. Mind you I don't feel good about it as I still think we could have gotten him in a later round but I just don't feel as bad.

Considering all the bad hype about this year's QB class I was surprised how many were drafted early let alone by trade ups. Makes you wonder about all the evaluations.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Good point that has been overlooked. Bears sent a bunch of picks and are redshirtting their #1 pick and #2 overall pick. KC is also planning on redshirt and gave up their first rounder next yr. hack only cost our own second round pick. If he is a bust he will just join our loooong line of 2nd round bust picks, not a tremendous loss in comparison.

Too bad the Jets couldn't wait till the 3rd/4th round to pick Hack and this would be a non-story.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Lots of Hack-hate on here (at least in terms of what people think his ability is, NOT in terms of them supporting him).  I have hope for Hack and I'll absolutely be rooting for the guy.  I think there's a shot we'll be surprised in a good way but let's see.  I just hope that he's one extreme or the other.  Let him be either a superstar (let's hope!) or an absolute train wreck (Darnold here we come!)

14 hours ago, Barkus said:

Imagine if Hackenberg stayed at Penn State his senior year instead of coming out last year. Penn State won the Big Ten with vastly improved talent and a more QB friendly system. If Hack had stayed and Penn State still had the big year imagine the pundits leading up to the draft describing Hack as a "winner" who "overcame adversity" and all the rest of these intangible labels that people throw around. 

23 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Do you think he will be the answer to NY Jets franchise QB need?  

Image result for hackenberg jets pics

23 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Are you for real  ?  

every Jets fan better damn well support Hackenberg .... Key word "Support" Obviously we will never know WTF he is until he gets his shot and I hope he gets it this year.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Lots of Hack-hate on here (at least in terms of what people think his ability is, NOT in terms of them supporting him).  I have hope for Hack and I'll absolutely be rooting for the guy.  I think there's a shot we'll be surprised in a good way but let's see.  I just hope that he's one extreme or the other.  Let him be either a superstar (let's hope!) or an absolute train wreck (Darnold here we come!)

When he was coming out last year, his ceiling and floor were considered to be both extremes. His ceiling is elite QB. His floor is Ryan Leaf.

I'll say one thing: it would be amazing if he worked out. If the light would go on for him and he shut up everyone who's bashed him (including many on this site), it would be absolutely GLORIOUS.

Why would I not back him?  The only Jet player I wanted to watch fail, ever, was Mike Vick.  

Do I think he'll be "The Man?"   I don't know.   When they drafted him, they said he'd sit a year.  At the time, and since then, I have said I think it's best for a QB to sit at least a year before starting.  He say a year, now we'll see if he's got any real potential.

I'm not ready to start picturing him in Canton. I have no idea how he will perform; we have seen very little of him and I don't think he had much opportunity for improvement last offseason. I hope bigly that is his trajectory and we don't give him up before he gets on that path. 

2 hours ago, JAFJET said:

Imagine if Hackenberg stayed at Penn State his senior year instead of coming out last year. Penn State won the Big Ten with vastly improved talent and a more QB friendly system. If Hack had stayed and Penn State still had the big year imagine the pundits leading up to the draft describing Hack as a "winner" who "overcame adversity" and all the rest of these intangible labels that people throw around. 

A small, jag suspect QB took his place and the team got good.....with that load stone of a coach Franklin around his neck.

10 hours ago, jets rooter said:

We forget that it takes three years for a young draftee. To learn the ropes. That is the case for young quarterbacks. Lets not pass judgement until we see him in training camp

I love how this little sliver of sane objectivity goes completely unnoticed.

He needs his reps, in practice with the ones, consistently. He needs real game experiece. He needed to sit last year which I agreed with.

But they better not like McCown start for half the season and take up all the practice reps, because then how do you expect him to get better? 

QB is very much like playing golf, theres a certain day to day rhythm you have to get in or the whole mental aspect and body mechanics are off. 

I don't know how you get better at anything without continuously doing it. Sink or swim with Hackenberg this year. 

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

He needs his reps, in practice with the ones, consistently. He needs real game experiece. He needed to sit last year which I agreed with.

But they better not like McCown start for half the season and take up all the practice reps, because then how do you expect him to get better? 

QB is very much like playing golf, theres a certain day to day rhythm you have to get in or the whole mental aspect and body mechanics are off. 

I don't know how you get better at anything without continuously doing it. Sink or swim with Hackenberg this year. 

In other words, don't do exactly what they just did last year. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In other words, don't do exactly what they just did last year. 

Exactly. Last year I get it, they thought their veterans would show up and build on 2015 with Fitz. They gave it a shot. But Fitz should have been shut down after KC. 

I digress...give the reps to the Hack.

I don't think a quarterback carousel has been beneficial to any team. I agree 100% you need to name a starter and stick with him. Support him wether he struggles or not especially the young ones like Hackenberg. Good QB's should be able to find a way to work through ups and downs and it does nothing for them to jump from one qb to another. That also takes shots to their mindset, being pulled every other game. Sets back development in my opinion. As others have said...sink or swim.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

No one should expect Hackenberg to become a rhythm passer who consistently completes 62-65% of his passes, certainly not in 2017 or 2018.

Hackenberg's strengths are his ability to make full field reads, and his arm strength - similarly to Eli Manning (who is below 60% as a passer for his career).  Eli has managed to be successful because he can hit chunk plays down the field and because his interceptions tend to be down the field as well, which dont hurt the team nearly as much as the Sanchez-type Ints which were often pick 6s or in the red zone.

Unless Hack is a complete abomination in the OTAs and TC, he should be given 8-10 starts thsi year no matter what.  We have to find out what we have in order to make the best decisions on a QB in 2018

55 minutes ago, BCJet said:

No one should expect Hackenberg to become a rhythm passer who consistently completes 62-65% of his passes, certainly not in 2017 or 2018.

Hackenberg's strengths are his ability to make full field reads, and his arm strength - similarly to Eli Manning (who is below 60% as a passer for his career).  Eli has managed to be successful because he can hit chunk plays down the field and because his interceptions tend to be down the field as well, which dont hurt the team nearly as much as the Sanchez-type Ints which were often pick 6s or in the red zone.

Unless Hack is a complete abomination in the OTAs and TC, he should be given 8-10 starts thsi year no matter what.  We have to find out what we have in order to make the best decisions on a QB in 2018

Agree with this. What worries me is how he'll fair in a west coast offense, which is based on rhythm/timing/accuracy.

You nailed it on the head, I don't expect Hack to be an above 60% completion guy. Like Eli, I expected to make up for that bu connecting on big time throws down field. 

This switch to a west coast offense gives me a little less hope for Hackenberg, but not lost hope yet. 

On 4/30/2017 at 2:34 PM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

-Watching him play as a freshman I thought he'd be a GREAT pro.

-I followed him kind of closely through school and was shocked by his failures.

-I STILL wanted them to draft him.

I believe that he will be our franchise quarterback because I have no other choice.  If he sucks then I'll believe the next guy will be our franchise quarterback.  

If you watched him closely after O'Brien left then you would know that his "failures" were not his alone. There were plenty of reasons and most of which were out of his control.

The guy got the crap knocked out of him behind a poor line and even worse coaching. They changed every thing about him, including how he had his feet set. That's like taking

an established golf pro and completely changing their natural swing. It doesnt work.

48 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

If you watched him closely after O'Brien left then you would know that his "failures" were not his alone. There were plenty of reasons and most of which were out of his control.

The guy got the crap knocked out of him behind a poor line and even worse coaching. They changed every thing about him, including how he had his feet set. That's like taking

an established golf pro and completely changing their natural swing. It doesnt work.

Why he sucks and is perhaps shot is to that important in the grand scheme of things.  Whether the can play the game at a high level is.

Supporting him and thinking he;s the answer are two very different things. 

Do I support him? Yes! Of Course. He's a young kid with a ton of talent and good head on his shoulders, and he has yet to be given a chance to prove himself. Why would anyone not support him? 

Do I believe he is the answer? Not really. Not yet at least. I definitely have doubts.  

Archived