Breaking Down the Jets 2017 Draft Class

JetNation

10 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Hansen doesn't have elite speed but what makes him an effective deep threat is he can get separation because he has good acceleration, very good at high pointing the ball and have exceptional hands.  Sometimes the ability to accelerate quickly is more effective than just pure speed.   

I don't disagree, I was responding to a poster who suggested I was being inconsistent in describing two identical 40 times.  I was simply making the point that "far from elite" can also be accurately described as "respectable", as is the case with a 4.53 40.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Why? Can they take the field first?  And whats wrong with 3rd or 4th receivers, especially in todays game of 3,4 and 5 wide sets? 

The original point was in reference to where the roster, particularly at the skill positions, will be next year in the event that they draft one of the quarterbacks. Whoever the lucky fella is will be coming in to a relatively piss-poor and uninspiring group. Same issue holds true with hiring a new coach in the event Bowles is fired.

Try this: imagine Bowles is fired, you're Maccagnan, and you're on the phone with Jim Harbaugh. Sell him on how great the job is given the personnel that the next coach will inherit. 

8 hours ago, Cyberjet said:

Agree. And even more so, you can't view the offense and defense in a vacuum. A good, better defense makes an offense better. Shorter field to work with, turnovers , keeping the team in the game. The converse is true, just makes common sense. To write off the choice of safeties as doing nothing for the offense (the assumption is they make the defense better) doesn't make sense. 

That'll be a compelling argument to sell the next coach. "Nah, we don't have any receivers, quarterbacks, or running backs, but we've got these safeties, which are basically the same thing."

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Psyched that they're not going to give up long TDs anymore 

Who did you want them to draft? Cook was off their board & im OK with that. Howard? Who's to say he's THAT MUCH better than Leggett? You know damn well he ain't no Gronk, there's only 1 Gronk.

They took some promising YAC WRs. Hey, we're all in for the 2018 QBs anyway right? We're going to get one of Darnold, Rosen or Allen. I'm sure just like Mahomes a couple more will emerge. 

Chill out, I think Macc learned his lesson in free agency. Revis & Fitz only worked for 1 year. Enjoy watfhing the youngsters, I think each & every WR Macc has brought in here is better than Clyde Gates & David Nelson so there is hope.

29 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Who did you want them to draft? Cook was off their board & im OK with that. Howard? Who's to say he's THAT MUCH better than Leggett? You know damn well he ain't no Gronk, there's only 1 Gronk.

They took some promising YAC WRs. Hey, we're all in for the 2018 QBs anyway right? We're going to get one of Darnold, Rosen or Allen. I'm sure just like Mahomes a couple more will emerge. 

Chill out, I think Macc learned his lesson in free agency. Revis & Fitz only worked for 1 year. Enjoy watfhing the youngsters, I think each & every WR Macc has brought in here is better than Clyde Gates & David Nelson so there is hope.

I don't get the bitching about wide receivers. They are a good group and only 1 player of that group can even be mentioned as being fully mature as a player. So they are good with room to grow. That's a lot of potential as a unit, not necessarily as individual players. I really like ArDarius Stewart and think he might eventually be the number 1 guy.

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Our two best WRs were already on the team before he got here.

Also if the rest of the WR corps - the one he got so much credit for fully rebuilding in "mission accomplished" fashion - carried this much weight with the very GM who brought them here, it's unlikely he'd have drafted two more wideouts in what was allegedly the strength area of the draft.

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I don't get the bitching about wide receivers. They are a good group and only 1 player of that group even be mentioned as fully mature as a player. So they are good with room to grow. That's a lot of potential as a unit of not necessarily as individual players. I really like ArDarius Stewart and think he might eventually be the number 1 guy.

If he isn't, one thing I'm not going to knock Maccagnan for is the lack of an obvious "#1" WR. This group might even have no pro bowlers individually, but there are plenty adequate enough targets for a good QB to do serious damage.

The QB just can't mindlessly lock in on one target once the ball is snapped, like Fitzpatrick, and chuck it up despite the coverage. But if we have the right QB, he wouldn't be doing that anyway. 

I have a bit of an issue if the Jets are removing a lot of talented players from their draft board due to character.  There are some obvious cases where you remove a guy but if this is a 'big thing' for this regime and very important to have just solid character players then why the hell is Sheldon Richardson still a jet.

- We are not going to draft players x, y, z due to character but we will hang on to a proven bad character guy because we want a 2nd or 4rd rounder for him rather than a 5th rounder.

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

That'll be a compelling argument to sell the next coach. "Nah, we don't have any receivers, quarterbacks, or running backs, but we've got these safeties, which are basically the same thing."

You know that's not what is being said. A better defense can help mask shortcomings in the offense. Chicago and Baltimore won superbowls that way. The reverse is true  - New England at times is a team whose offense puts their defense in advantageous positions in a game and didn't expose their weaknesses.

I really liked our draft. Wish we got an edge rusher earlier, but our WR picks I thought were very good. Neither one I view as ever becoming the #1 guy. But, I think both Stewart and Hansen will be real good 2 and 3.

Look at New Englands receivers since Moss left. You just need guys who can run the route correctly, hang onto the ball, and fight for yards after catch. Thats exactly what both of these guys bring.

I love the Adams and Maye combo. Both fast, aggressive, smart, who make sure handed tackles, instead of looking to make a highlight hit and taking a poor angle. People who hate it because they want us to go offense. I get it. But the strength of this draft, especially in the first two rounds is defense, and we needed it. Its not like the Rex era when our defense was still good and we kept drafting defense. This is a complete rebuild. So if ever a BPA draft, this was it.

I value having great safeties first set for the simple fact that they have a longer shelf life. Corners peaks are shorter. Id rather have two safeties set for a decade and add corners as we go until the secondary is set.

I'm also happy we didnt draft a qb. Only one I wanted was Mahomes. But, we need guys who can play asap and build this team up, not more developmental guys. Lets see what we can build first and get a guy next year if Hack shows nothing. 

Love the Leggett pick. Theres been issues written, questioning his motor and drive. I watched a lot of Clemson last year and I cant say I ever saw him dog it. A lot of Dustin Keller to his game.  

I'd be lying if I said I knew much about the rest of our picks, except Jeremy Clark who I thought was good pre-injury and probably would have been a 3rd/4th round pick without getting injured. So good roll of the dice on him that late in the draft.

Overal, I think we got guys who want to play football and have good fundamentals, guys who can tackle and cover. Guys who can run routes and hang onto the ball. They're obviously getting to revamp the culture and are looking for specific players with all the same mentality. Besides Adams no pick was flashy and it all looks meh in that regard. But, the other way never worked for us. 

This was always going to take some time. A true rebuild is underway.

On 4/30/2017 at 9:34 PM, T0mShane said:

Difficult to see how the Jets franchise is going to be competitive anytime soon with an offense as depleted as this one is, making the two safeties--while they may be fine players--relatively worthless. The right move was to pad the nest for a future QB, but the offense is going to be in full rebuild at all the skill positions as soon as Decker and Forte leave, and unless two of these receivers emerge, Maccagnan is going to have to go buy one in free agency simply to give Darnold/Rosen/Allen a chance to not perish. And despite the copious resources burned on DBs since Mac and Bowles got here, they're going to have to go shopping for a CB1 next year, to boot. There's just no coherent plan with this team. 

Look at the cap for next year though. We're at 61mil in free space with Decker,Gilchrist,Pryor still being accounted for. Mac used his first 2 picks to get the most NFL ready and high level safeties, grabbed a good WR out of Bama and snagged a TE with the prototypical size. We'll need a CB1 for sure and maybe a WR but we're going to have a ton of money and a good draft pick to get the qb we've been waiting for. In a perfect world Hack plays this year and shows he's the guy then we'll be able to trade back and load up on picks to plug the remaining holes. Trust the process man! 

CollegeFootball 24/7 (@NFL_CFB)

5/3/17, 10:17 AM

ICYMI, ranking teams based on talent they added in #NFLDraft:

1. Browns
2. Saints
3. Jets
4. Redskins
5-32: on.nfl.com/hbuS3R pic.twitter.com/wvpE1h1NGm

Which teams did the best job of adding talent in the 2017 NFL Draft?

We set out to answer that question using NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt's Hot 150 prospect rankings as the unit of measurement.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000800363/article/hot-150-gil-brandts-topranked-prospects-for-2017-nfl-draft

Points were assigned to each draftee based on where he ranked in Brandt's Hot 150. The No. 1-rated prospect received 150 points, the No. 2 prospect received 149 points, etc.

Here's how the teams stacked up, using Brandt's rankings as the guide.

3. New York Jets 

Score: 453 points (5 players) 
The skinny: 
The players (points): The Jets' investment in its secondary and pass-catching corps paid off handsomely. 

No. 5: Jamal Adams (146) 
No. 44: Marcus Maye (107) 
No. 71: ArDarius Stewart (80) 
No. 74: Jordan Leggett (77) 
No. 108: Chad Hansen (43)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000805888/article/2017-nfl-draft-teams-that-added-most-talent-18

On 5/2/2017 at 6:13 AM, T0mShane said:

The original point was in reference to where the roster, particularly at the skill positions, will be next year in the event that they draft one of the quarterbacks. Whoever the lucky fella is will be coming in to a relatively piss-poor and uninspiring group. Same issue holds true with hiring a new coach in the event Bowles is fired.

Try this: imagine Bowles is fired, you're Maccagnan, and you're on the phone with Jim Harbaugh. Sell him on how great the job is given the personnel that the next coach will inherit. 

I will sell him on what we are in the process of building.  We apparently had the 3rd best draft in terms of talent added.  Just because the talent wasn't what YOU wanted doesn't mean we didn't add talented players to the roster.   Also, unless we had a top quarterback ( and none were available in this draft) I am not sure it would have made much of a difference what we said to Harbaugh. 

23 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I will sell him on what we are in the process of building.  We apparently had the 3rd best draft in terms of talent added.  Just because the talent wasn't what YOU wanted doesn't mean we didn't add talented players to the roster.   Also, unless we had a top quarterback ( and none were available in this draft) I am not sure it would have made much of a difference what we said to Harbaugh. 

I guess the question becomes, what exactly are we "building"?

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I guess the question becomes, what exactly are we "building"?

Or is there just one way to build is another.   What would you have had them do differently?  Not trying to be a wise ass; just interested in your opinion. 

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

Or is there just one way to build is another.   What would you have had them do differently?  Not trying to be a wise ass; just interested in your opinion. 

They had some aberrational success in their first season behind a QB with a long history of falling off a cliff, then decided that success was sustainable and followed him off a cliff. Then they drafted a bad linebacker and safeties and Hackenberg. The Jets job is one of the worst jobs in the league and it's gotten even worse. If they fire Bowles this year, they're going to have to beg Mike Shanahan to take the job, because no one wants to work for Woody, and ain't no coach out there willing to tie his career to Maccagnan, no matter how many safeties are on the roster

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They had some aberrational success in their first season behind a QB with a long history of falling off a cliff, then decided that success was sustainable and followed him off a cliff. Then they drafted a bad linebacker and safeties and Hackenberg. The Jets job is one of the worst jobs in the league and it's gotten even worse. If they fire Bowles this year, they're going to have to beg Mike Shanahan to take the job, because no one wants to work for Woody, and ain't no coach out there willing to tie his career to Maccagnan, no matter how many safeties are on the roster

Mm that is 1 way to look at it another way is they took a 4 and 12 team and went 10 and 6....then had a lot of injuries and went 5 and 11.....this season they will bounce back and make playoffs with Petty putting on a show not seen since the days of obrian and Wesley walker

4 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Mm that is 1 way to look at it another way is they took a 4 and 12 team and went 10 and 6....then had a lot of injuries and went 5 and 11.....this season they will bounce back and make playoffs with Petty putting on a show not seen since the days of obrian and Wesley walker

You can learn a lot about a steak by sticking your head up a cow's ass.

In retrospect, I do think the Jets added a good amount of talent this draft.  Both Adams and Maye will be starters.  ArDarius Stewart and Chad Henson should contribute as WRs.  That RB will likely be our 3rd down back.  And I think we grabbed a STer or 2 plus maybe some practice squad guys.  If we have 6 players contribute this year - 2 of them starters - that's not bad at all.  We have to accept that we're a bad team that just needed to add talent.  Seems like Macc did that but obviously only time will tell.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

An All-Pro team in the positions that don't matter and an FCS team in the ones that do

But if they're both hall of famers and Ardarius Stewart is Hines Ward ur gonna look like a huge haterrrr

22 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

In retrospect, I do think the Jets added a good amount of talent this draft.  Both Adams and Maye will be starters.  ArDarius Stewart and Chad Henson should contribute as WRs.  That RB will likely be our 3rd down back.  And I think we grabbed a STer or 2 plus maybe some practice squad guys.  If we have 6 players contribute this year - 2 of them starters - that's not bad at all.  We have to accept that we're a bad team that just needed to add talent.  Seems like Macc did that but obviously only time will tell.

This is like when you chop your left hand off and three days later you're musing about getting gloves for half price 

I think we're all not addressing one of the biggest story lines here.

Besides the secondary -- this draft was considered one of (if not, THE) deepest at RB in a decade, and the best class of TEs... ever.

What did we come away with? 

-Jordan Legget, who couldn't be more average if he tried

--McGuire, who i admit is a decent Powell replacement and nice talent in his own right - but hardly a "class name".

What the fck. 

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

I think we're all not addressing one of the biggest story lines here.

Besides the secondary -- this draft was considered one of (if not, THE) deepest at RB in a decade, and the best class of TEs... ever.

What did we come away with? 

-Jordan Legget, who couldn't be more average if he tried

--McGuire, who i admit is a decent Powell replacement and nice talent in his own right - but hardly a "class name".

What the fck. 

On TE, Macc thought the players he picked were more highly rated on an overall score.   We will see if that is right.

On RB, it is the point that has received shockingly little attention on this board and otherwise-committing to Forte and Powell has left the Jets very little flexibility for 2017.  It will be a position where money could be spent in 2018.

My impression was that the Jets were very willing to replace players that were cap positive but not where they are negative.   In other words, they have admitted playoff defeat and are looking forward.   Not a bad approach to me.

On TE, Macc thought the players he picked were more highly rated on an overall score.   We will see if that is right.
On RB, it is the point that has received shockingly little attention on this board and otherwise-committing to Forte and Powell has left the Jets very little flexibility for 2017.  It will be a position where money could be spent in 2018.
My impression was that the Jets were very willing to replace players that were cap positive but not where they are negative.   In other words, they have admitted playoff defeat and are looking forward.   Not a bad approach to me.

That doesnt really jive tho. People go on and on about his BPA approach and sticking to his board -- and yet those picks in a way were need-based in their own way. The TEs on the board at times were better than the players we took. As was with RB.

It's a flimsy "value" based agenda that doesn't completely check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived