Darron Lee

DMan77

3 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Agreed, his Mom was quoted in the local paper mid season, saying something like this was the first time in his life that he was on a losing team, seems like the kid has had a privileged life so far (grew up in affluent suburb, QB in High School, loaded Buckeye teams) but now he is in the big leagues playing for a highly critical big city

Probably the first time he has really had to work for it on another level, so he could blame the Jets losing ways and wait for the next opportunity with a "winning" team or step it up and make a difference, lead the way, I think he has the work ethic and skill to make it happen but does he have the maturity and mental toughness? This is where the rubber hits the road, we will see 

It would be nice to have a Buckeye besides Mangold who does well for the Jets

Ha! Read up on him. He is FAR from privileged. I LOLed hard at that one. 

Read up on how he grew up without a father. Rerad up on how he had to change positions and learn how to be a LB, how he had to work his tail off, put on weight and out-perform other top recruits to earn a starting spot on that loaded Buckeyes D.   

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Keep in mind he was taken number 20 in round 1 not number 5. Part of the problem is we get unreal expectations of our draft picks if only about 33percent of first round picks go on to have decent nfl careers why should our guy at pick 20 be expected to be a perenial pro bowler? Why should our mid to late second round qb be expected to play successfully right away?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

In fairness, #20 overall is a high pick, and for his position - while not unusually high - it's still a very high pick.

It's not unfair to expect a niche-type ILB taken in the top 20 overall to be damn good (if not pretty effing awesome). I'd expect the same, in that draft slot, if it was a guard, center, RT, TE, RB, or S. 

A legitimate but just-ok starter, at his position, would be a disappointment at #20. He wouldn't even be worth the 5th year option in such a case.

8 hours ago, Jetster said:

Seriously? Lmao. Now rookies get 1 year?

While you are busy lmao'ing Lee is starting his first 3 week stack / cycle so he can get to t/c at 225 instead of his natural 190 and then clear himself before testing.

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

One of the bigger worries is his mental state, the guy seems like a twilight zoner after a few of the things and tweets that happened this off season.

He plays fast, will cover ground and will make plays from side to side, but as I said the day he was drafted, if he is one on one in coverage with anyone it is a win for the offense.

to go along with being totally out of position and taking Pryor like angles on pass plays last year, he looked soft for a LB.

Hopefully he will take that next step but he has to make big plays or he will just be a tweener that gets taken advantage of.

Pretty much. Weird dude, not sure he has the temperament to play LB. Vilma was undersized but played like his hair was on fire. Lee just seems passive.

20 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

While you are busy lmao'ing Lee is starting his first 3 week stack / cycle so he can get to t/c at 225 instead of his natural 190 and then clear himself before testing.

Whatever he's gotta do. I'm sure Joe Klecko never used steroids, lmao!

15 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Whatever he's gotta do. I'm sure Joe Klecko never used steroids, lmao!

You keep lmao'ing so much your gonna run out of a

Of course Klecko used but he wasnt some pumped up little guy and at least it worked for him. Lee is terrible.

7 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

You keep lmao'ing so much your gonna run out of a

Of course Klecko used but he wasnt some pumped up little guy and at least it worked for him. Lee is terrible.

Whatever. 

Was always a weird fit for the scheme, and again, a weird allocation of resources. He has all the athleticism in the world, so one of the priorities next year has to be finding out what he does well and unlocking that potential. We can't afford to have a first round pick be anything less than a solid starter. 

15 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Intersting take from Bucky Brooks, he was saying about all these hybrid Backer/Safeties tweener types, that are now being employed in coverage schemes.

He believes to counter this, the Offences will return to a more power running style, with Bigger linemen to physically blow them off the ball.

Lee is definatly one of these little guys. I hope he becomes good in coverage? I just don't see him becoming an impact Linebacker. He's a roll guy, coverage, Blitz schemes. 

No way can he handle Linemen coming to the second level, and blocking him. Luxury pick we should have not made in the First for me.

That's exactly whats going to happen.

I would much rather have an explosive running team than a high powered passing offense that in some cases actually hurts the defense since they score fast and wear out the defense turning every game into a damn shootout.

That being said no matter what the NFL seems to be doing at a given time Lee is NOT a 3-4 backer unless he plans on putting on some weight so he can deal with the interior of the line a little better. You need bruisers in the middle and speed guys on the outside in the 3-4 and even the speed guys on the outside need to be big. The prototypical 3-4 defenses that everyone should model themselves after are the 85 Giants, The 86 Bears, and the 2000 Ravens and its that simple because contrary to what some believe there were some pretty damn explosive passing offenses in the 80's and 90's just like they are now. 

Back to Lee im not sure how we line this guy up in the middle and expect him to be effective a lot of that stupidity is on the coach and the DC they certainly have to find better ways to utilize his speed because they certainly are not doing that now. How Kacy Rogers still has a job is beyond comprehension.

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

Yes. It is risky and it has to work.

If the defense is bad next year Bowles needs to be fired No Doubt.

you know what scares me most about Bowles even if his defense starts to play well ? His ability to make calls on the fly in a playoff atmosphere ...I mean do you trust him to make the right calls in time management and adapt to what the other team is doing in that type scenario ? I certainly don't his in game skills are horrific and that may be stating it lightly and that's what kills playoff runs.

I would much rather have an explosive running team than a high powered passing offense that in some cases actually hurts the defense since they score fast and wear out the defense turning every game into a damn shootout.
That being said no matter what the NFL seems to be doing at a given time Lee is NOT a 3-4 backer unless he plans on putting on some weight so he can deal with the interior of the line a little better. You need bruisers in the middle and speed guys on the outside in the 3-4 and even the speed guys on the outside need to be big. The prototypical 3-4 defenses that everyone should model themselves after are the 85 Giants, The 86 Bears, and the 2000 Ravens and its that simple because contrary to what some believe there were some pretty damn explosive passing offenses in the 80's and 90's just like they are now. 
Back to Lee im not sure how we line this guy up in the middle and expect him to be effective a lot of that stupidity is on the coach and the DC they certainly have to find better ways to utilize his speed because they certainly are not doing that now. How Kacy Rogers still has a job is beyond comprehension.

Kacy and Co. are not good. Two years is enough considering what the Defense was before they got here.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

35 or so LBers were drafted last year. Lee had the 3rd most tackles of any LBer taken in the draft. He had his issues, but those were rookie type issues. He had solid coverage a few times and just missed making a play because he misplayed the ball. He was also playing with awful DBs and a bad overall defense.

The kid plays  hard and has talent. Rookies don't get 73 tackles by accident. So I'm willing to give him a second year to see if he can build off last year.  

11 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

We're going to run a 4-3 with David Harris in the middle running (ok, "running") sideline to sideline.

He is the QB of the defense, you know. 

Kacy and Co. are not good. Two years is enough considering what the Defense was before they got here.

I dislike kasey too but let's not pretend he came to a team with an elite defense the year he got here was one year after idzik refused to bring any talent in for rex Ryan...I think our starting corners were Antonio Allen and walls with pryor covering in at fs...the defense they inherited was a joke just as bad as the one we had last year

I dislike kasey too but let's not pretend he came to a team with an elite defense the year he got here was one year after idzik refused to bring any talent in for rex Ryan...I think our starting corners were Antonio Allen and walls with pryor covering in at fs...the defense they inherited was a joke just as bad as the one we had last year

Well I should have stated the DL he inherited. It went from good to bad in two years minus Snacks. It seemed to me the scheme was a major part of the Downfall.

On 5/1/2017 at 9:15 AM, HessStation said:

If they kept Snacks Lee woulda been DROY. I like Lee a lot. He was a second behind a lot of plays last year, still learning and not trusting what he was seeing. He'll get better at diagnosing plays. He's gonna be a good one.

the smurf talk Is funny but untrue. He's the size and speed you want for today's game. 

His tweets scare me tho

can you explain why you think he would have been DPOY if we kept snacks?  

ps in hindsight we should have gotten rid of richardson and signed snacks.  

Personally, I thought he played fine for a rookie.  I expect him to get better, and think he will, but I just don't get the constant criticism of the guy.  The truth is, he is average size for a linebacker these days.

Was Reddick Hassan too small?  He supposedly weighs 5 pounds more.  How about Jarrad Davis, 238 lbs.  Reuban Foster is 6 foot, 229 lbs.  Raekwon Macmillan, 240 lbs, Zach Cunningham is 235 lbs, at 6'3".  Every linebacker in the first 3 rounds was the same size as Lee.

Anyone who says he is too small just doesn't know what they are talking about.

3 hours ago, Butterfield said:

Personally, I thought he played fine for a rookie.  I expect him to get better, and think he will, but I just don't get the constant criticism of the guy.  The truth is, he is average size for a linebacker these days.

Was Reddick Hassan too small?  He supposedly weighs 5 pounds more.  How about Jarrad Davis, 238 lbs.  Reuban Foster is 6 foot, 229 lbs.  Raekwon Macmillan, 240 lbs, Zach Cunningham is 235 lbs, at 6'3".  Every linebacker in the first 3 rounds was the same size as Lee.

Anyone who says he is too small just doesn't know what they are talking about.

You can make all the comparisons you want to make the pick make sense but Lee is a pumped up shrimp compared to the players you want to compare him to.  His natural size is about 185-190lbs. I have seen him up close at  t/c and I dont even believe he is  6'1"  like they say he is. He came to OSU at about 185lbs. He saw his chance to start after Shazier left but knew he had to get larger and he did it. Smart move but it will be unsustainable at this level.

17 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

You can make all the comparisons you want to make the pick make sense but Lee is a pumped up shrimp compared to the players you want to compare him to.  His natural size is about 185-190lbs. I have seen him up close at  t/c and I dont even believe he is  6'1"  like they say he is. He came to OSU at about 185lbs. He saw his chance to start after Shazier left but knew he had to get larger and he did it. Smart move but it will be unsustainable at this level.

I just disagree, you can say the same thing about s number of players, both good and bad.  Including many of the guys on this list.  I am sure the 6'1" measurement at the combine was nothing but a conspiracy, right?  Pshh

13 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

I just disagree, you can say the same thing about s number of players, both good and bad.  Including many of the guys on this list.  I am sure the 6'1" measurement at the combine was nothing but a conspiracy, right?  Pshh

I gauged his physique seeing him standing and talking with Pryor during t/c. They looked about the same height but Lee was clearly broader in the shoulders. He is fast. He has that. Lets hope you are right.

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Can Lee play the outside EDGE position? At least try and salvage him that way as a 3rd down pass rusher.

Maybe if its a well disguised blitz but really I dont think so, guards, tackles, tight ends will pancake him

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Just want to add this to the convo here. The pick after we took Hackenberg was Deion Jones, so we could have taken Paxton Lynch and Deion Jones last year. 

Omg Paxton Lynch, he played so much better than Hackenburg last year.....

Is he even going to beat out the legend Trevor semien this year?

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Omg Paxton Lynch, he played so much better than Hackenburg last year.....

Is he even going to beat out the legend Trevor semien this year?

Even if you make Lynch v Hack a wash, Deion Jones was infinitely better than Lee was. 

Just now, T0mShane said:

Even if you make Lynch v Hack a wash, Deion Jones was infinitely better than Lee was. 

So far, absolutely. But like I've said before in this thread it's unfair to grade a kid after just one year. Let's see how things play out this year before we label Lee a bust. 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So far, absolutely. But like I've said before in this thread it's unfair to grade a kid after just one year. Let's see how things play out this year before we label Lee a bust. 

Given that, who would you rather have Hackenberg or Lynch on your team today? 

Archived