Former NYJ Shaun Ellis predicted OT Leamon

bitonti

Ellis told OT Javareus Leamon, SC State "The Jets, they will have a spot for you, when you are ready"

http://thetandd.com/sports/s-c-state-s-leamon-agrees-to-sign-with-new/article_c1a0c78b-800d-5c3e-9521-b744c6d38e01.html

This is both a cool Jets alumni story and possible UDFA gem like Robby Anderson but for the OL. 

Leomon is raw as heck. Probably a practice squad guy in year 1, but lots to like. Clemson recruited, he couldn't get the grades, but most importantly he has all the physical tools to actually play tackle. Maybe even left tackle.  

Part of not drafting OL/QB is that when undrafted comes around the agents steer their guys where they could actually make the team. So you get better UDFA cause they know it's a dire need. This is not at tryout situation he got some kind of bonus.

UDFAs are looking for teams they think they can get noticed. There is something to be said for UDFAs sitting at home, watching the draft & hearing OVER & OVER again that the NY Jets have the least talent in the league. Where would you ply your wares? Macc & his scouts find talented dudes, will Bowles & Morton be able to recognize them? Remember Rex Ryan cut Danny Woodhead & kept Joe McNight.

21 minutes ago, Jetster said:

UDFAs are looking for teams they think they can get noticed. There is something to be said for UDFAs sitting at home, watching the draft & hearing OVER & OVER again that the NY Jets have the least talent in the league. Where would you ply your wares? Macc & his scouts find talented dudes, will Bowles & Morton be able to recognize them? Remember Rex Ryan cut Danny Woodhead & kept Joe McNight.

And that was with all the benefit of the extra, post-draft, national TV coverage that few UDFAs can get. He was a story, and it was for his production (didn't he run for like 8000 yards or something?), and not just for emotional reasons.

2 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Cool.

What was your thoughts on the draft Bit.

Didnt see any posts from you

Adams was a great pick, Maye also very good. Don't mind 2 safeties in a historically great safety year. Especially cause the Jets lacked any safety who knew how to cover. I like the WR too. These are safe, smart picks that probably work out. Don't mind the trade downs, other teams like Seattle, NE and GB swear by it. The trade up is usually a desperate move for a team with a certain number of players in their window to push for a title.

Clearly, the Jets are not in that mode. Make no mistake this offense still sucks, 2017 is going to be a sh*t sandwich and the plan appears to be let McCown lose a bunch of games, let Hack bomb out, let Petty get hurt and draft another QB high next year. I'm cutting holes in paper bags early, before the rush. 

Mac did a professional job but if the draft is about hope and the future, it's hard to see it.

Put it another way I'd rather have a 25% chance at a franchise QB in Pat Mahomes than an 85% chance of a pro bowl safety in Adams. That's easy for me to say, cause I'm not a pro GM with a family to feed and my job on the line. If Andy Reid takes him at 10 (and trades a first rounder next year) it's ok cause he's andy Reid and Farve and blah blah blah. If the Jets stick at 6 maybe they get killed in the media cause they don't have an Andy Reid. 

So they took the easy way out and stuck to their board, almost regardless of need apparently. The biggest need on the team was QB before the draft and it still is. Perhaps I'm wrong about that assessment and maybe Mac's picks are smartest plan by the way. Maybe.  It lacks balls though.   and I'll be a donkeys ballsack before I do something dumb like go to the MetLife to actually watch it in person this year. 

Not unless they put Adams at QB. 

The thing is in a draft loaded with safeties does not that mean you can wait to still get a good safety later in the draft and you don't have to draft two high because there are few of them? 

This is a great deep draft for RB's!  Better draft Founette  and cook 1 and 2!

First round need met bpa very nicely even if i would have like to trade down.

Second round I cannot be convinced that Maye was bpa , nor that a second safety was the top need.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The thing is in a draft loaded with safeties does not that mean you can wait to still get a good safety later in the draft and you don't have to draft two high because there are few of them? 

Second round I cannot be convinced that Maye was bpa , nor that a second safety was the top need.

It is the exact opposite of what makes sense. 

These kids may both turn out to be good players, and snarky comments aside, we all hope they do. But using the depth of the position in this draft, as a justification for taking them with both of our first two picks, makes no sense.

"Hey, we'd better grab two safeties in the top 40. There may only be another couple dozen good safety prospects so we'd better hurry in case they all go before our early 3rd round pick."

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

aside from being "gangsta" doesnt Cook have shoulder issues? and would that not be a scary type of injury for a position which has to barrell into the line shoulders 1st?

2 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

aside from being "gangsta" doesnt Cook have shoulder issues? and would that not be a scary type of injury for a position which has to barrell into the line shoulders 1st?

Cook is going to tear it up and be a really big weapon and we will be handing it off to matt forte for a 3 yard gain or have a huge effort, beak 4 tackles 6 yard run by Powell.

We will also be forgiving the defense for awful play because the damn Offense cannot score points or sustain drives.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Cook is going to tear it up and be a really big weapon and we will be handing it off to matt forte for a 3 yard gain or have a huge effort, beak 4 tackles 6 yard run by Powell.

We will also be forgiving the defense for awful play because the damn Offense cannot score points or sustain drives.

strange answer to my Q but ok..

4 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Please don't now pretend you wouldn't be licking Maccagnan's face all over, even more than now, had he taken Cook instead. 

When it was our turn to draft, there were exactly two players you said you'd be happy with there:

On 4/28/2017 at 0:02 AM, SickJetFan said:

I would be happy with Cunningham or Cook

:rl: 

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Please don't now pretend you wouldn't be licking Maccagnan's face all over, even more than now, had he taken Cook instead. 

When it was our turn to draft, there were exactly two players you said you'd be happy with there:

:rl: 

I actually mocked him too and cunningham too but I only recently found out about the shoulder stuff and It was actually a serious question.

My question was not in defense of Macc pick....although I have no objections to them.

19 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

strange answer to my Q but ok..

You don't run with your shoulders, he is not a banger like fournette.  I would think that his character issues held him back more than the injuries.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You don't run with your shoulders, he is not a banger like fournette.  I would think that his character issues held him back more than the injuries.

you lead with your shoulders as a back.....unless maybe he can run backwards? then i may worry about some ass injury

26 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

NFL teams will be interested in his medical checks, though, because of the hamstring issues he had throughout the 2015 season and the three shoulder surgeries he's had since high school. Cook tore his rotator cuff in high school, then tore the front part of his labrum in 2014, and the back part of the labrum in 2016. He's also had run-ins with the law, starting in high school (robbery in 2009, charges dropped; firing and possessing a weapon on school property in 2010, charges drooped) and then again in 2015, where he was charged with misdemeanor battery outside a bar (found not guilty).

Fumble issues too

Red Flag (Worse than 75)

63.8: Dalvin Cook, Florida State

Elite (150 or better)

168.0: Elijah McGuire, Louisiana-Lafayette

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2017-nfl-draft-which-running-backs-raise-red-flags-as-potential-fumblers/

I liked Cook but loved Mixon. With all Cooks issue's I would have taken Mixon instead. You could have drafted Mixon and quite possibly traded back into the 2nd round and still gotten Maye. With the second of 2 third round picks this would have been very possible. Then you would have been able to draft Elefien who would have filled a huge need on the O-line. This would have turned this into a killer draft for the Jets and still positioned them for a high draft pick next year. Its moot now. I will root for this team whether they are 1-15 or 15-1. Hopefully they can show some development as the season goes on and give us some hope for the future.

Archived