Chicago Bears: unhappy coach and unhappy QB

Dcat

So John Fox was in the dark about the Trubisky pick.  And Glennon is upset too. (2 articles)

Report: It's 'really bad' between John Fox and Ryan Pace

The Chicago Bears reportedly have some issues in the front office.

•  

The 2017 NFL Draft will go down as one of the most significant in recent memory for the Chicago Bears.

While no one knows exactly how good, or bad, this class will be, general manager Ryan Pace threw all of his eggs into one basket to move up a spot to select quarterback Mitchell Trubisky with the second overall pick.

Rumors began swirling on Friday that Pace and head coach John Fox were not on the same page in terms of the quarterback and CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora explained it further.

"We don't know what the hell they were doing," an NFL executive told La Canfora. "It's all anyone is talking about. It's really bad between Pace and Fox. Fox is fuming about being left in the dark on the trade (for Trubisky). I don't know anyone who likes their draft. From the first pick on, we can't figure out what they were doing. Go back and look at how many small-school kids they took. People around the league are shocked. It's really bad between Pace and Fox."

Trubisky is obviously the big name in this draft, but many of Chicago's selections made some scratch their heads. In the second round they took a Division II player in Ashland tight Adam Shaheen, a running back from North Carolina A&T in the fourth round and a guard from Kutztown with their final selection in the fifth round.

There is always a chance these players flourish at the NFL level, but many around the league are not quite sure what Chicago is doing.

"Either the Bears know something no one else in the league knows, or that draft just got a lot of people fired only they don't know it yet," a different executive told La Canfora.

Chicago's commitment to a quarterback could help Pace hang on for a few more seasons, but the reported tension between Fox and Pace may have the young GM searching for a new head coach next offseason.

The Chicago Tribune reports Mike Glennon felt "cheated on" following the Bears' trade up for Mitchell Trubisky.
It's a story as old as football, but that's not to belittle Glennon's reaction. Handed $18.5 million guaranteed after holding Jameis Winston's clipboard the past two seasons, Glennon had every reason to believe he was going to be the Bears' starter. He had zero inkling of what was coming in the draft. Glennon should still be under center in Week 1, but the clock has already been started. The Bears might end up with the quarterback result they need, but the process has not been sound. May 1 - 1:12 PM
Source: Chicago Tribune

11 minutes ago, peebag said:

wtf does Glennon got to complain about?  18mil+ and a chance for the starting job.  If he doesn't start, he's got a lot of benjamin's for collecting splinters.

When you already have 18 million guaranteed to you, then its no longer about the money. People who have that type of money tend to understand that. 

What type of QB would Glennon be if he didnt have a problem with this? Imagine if that was a Jets QB looking like he cashed it in before playing a snap. Jets fans would be irate. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

When you already have 18 million guaranteed to you, then its no longer about the money. People who have that type of money tend to understand that. 

What type of QB would Glennon be if he didnt have a problem with this? Imagine if that was a Jets QB looking like he cashed it in before playing a snap. Jets fans would be irate. 

This must be hard for you. 

5 minutes ago, HessStation said:

no way a dude named Mitch Trubisky doesn't bust in the NFL. I can already hear his name being sarcastically mentioned 15 years from now by some sports columnist on the NFL Networks Top 10 Worst Draft Trades of the New Century. 

Who's the bigger joke in 15 years, Jared Goff or Mitch Trubisky? 

Bears asked Mike Glennon to be at Soldier Field for draft party, then traded up for his replacement

83e5d920-de99-11e6-8f78-9133dc9f1779_Scr

NFL draft round 1 winners & losers

The NFL is a strange place where hope turns to horror in a heartbeat.

Imagine being de facto Chicago Bears quarterback Mike Glennon for a moment. You’ve just been signed to be the team’s starting quarterback — paid handsomely, yes — and you’re asked to go to the team’s Miller Lite Bears draft party because, well, you’re now the face of the franchise. Of course you say yes.

But what happens to your face when you see the Bears turning in a card with another quarterback’s name on it? That’s what we only can imagine after reading this Chicago Tribune story by Rich Campbell about Glennon and what transpired on Thursday night when the Bears traded up, and paid a steep price to do so, to land QB Mitchell Trubisky.

View photos

Mike Glennon watched up close when the Chicago Bears drafted his eventual replacement. (AP)

It didn’t take Glennon long to see that he’s not going to have a long leash with his new team after waiting his turn for years with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

It’s a cutthroat league, you say, and you’d be right. Very little is guaranteed — especially with contracts — in the NFL. Glennon should have known that this could happen. All of that is true, and being paid a minimum of $18.5 million should soften the blow a bit.

But this goes beyond money. The Bears essentially threw him to the wolves. Unless this Trubisky plan was hatched in the 90 minutes before the draft (which it was not), then asking Glennon to gladly shake hands with the high-rolling, bad-beer-drinking fans was a cruel move. Either that, or the left and right hands have no clue what the other is doing.

This has an effect beyond Glennon. You think his agent is going to trust the Bears for one of his clients going forward? You think other agents aren’t taking note of this incident? What about the guys in the locker room? They can’t feel a burning sense of loyalty here from the team either, even if Trubisky ends up being a wise selection.

For Glennon, too, he has to feel that if he wasn’t flat-out lied to, then he certainly wasn’t told honestly what the deal was. Or, as the report said, based on people close to him, like he “had been cheated on.” There’s nothing illegal about it. But the whole thing just casts such a bad light on a franchise that doesn’t win home games and quickly is slipping into Cleveland Brownsdom. You know, before the Browns had a killer draft.

Glennon had to know the Bears were planning to draft a QB. It’s not about that. It’s about putting him out in front of fans under the auspice of being the starting quarterback when the only pick the Bears would make during that draft party suggests what they really think of him.

Maybe the Bears outbid themselves on Glennon in free agency the way they might have on trading up to the San Francisco 49ers‘ pick. But is it possible that Glennon might have taken less money per year to go to a team that perhaps valued him more? After all, signing for $18.5 million guaranteed is a nice deal. But potentially having to go through the process of relocating a year or two from now might not be a pleasant one. Perhaps there was a team such as the New York Jets that would have paid him, say, $12 million guaranteed but wanted to keep him on the roster for longer than a year. All he would have had to do is beat out Christian Hackenberg, a much-maligned second-rounder.

So you can argue that Glennon can’t cry over this pick, but it’s a different story if he’s watching it at home. Instead, he was made a guest of honor at a Bears party that roundly rained boos when the pick was announced. Maybe that was the one saving grace to the whole deal.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/bears-asked-mike-glennon-soldier-field-draft-party-traded-replacement-180233682.html

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mitch Tribisky turns out to be great and the bears are geniuses and had the balls to get their guy no matter what the circumstances.  

Why everyone is so down on tribisky im not sure.

Sometimes the ends just dont justify the means. Look at how the bears got him, and the circumstances surrounding it. Look at the other picks they had throughout the draft. 

The only thing that I can think of is that maybe the Bears higher ups have a partying history with Jim Irsay and they were probably doing lines of nose candy and popping shrooms while the draft was going on. That's how retarded their draft was. 

Mitch Tribisky turns out to be great and the bears are geniuses and had the balls to get their guy no matter what the circumstances.  

It's what we went through with Geno. Everyone was talking about Geno being great 2nd round value.....until we drafted him. Trubisky was great until CHI made a badly perceived trade to move up one spot. If CHI took him at 3 no one would be complaining.

With that said I never viewed Trubisky as a good NFL prospect.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, Snell41 said:

It's what we went through with Geno. Everyone was talking about Geno being great 2nd round value.....until we drafted him. Trubisky was great until CHI made a badly perceived trade to move up one spot. If CHI took him at 3 no one would be complaining.

With that said I never viewed Trubisky as a good NFL prospect.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Those are actually polar opposite. 

Fox is joke of a coach who should have been fired yesterday, and older version of Jeff fisher.  He;s aswful

Glennon?  The contract they gave you indicated they were still looking.  Quit your stinking whining, collect your 12 million or so and compete you giraffe necked goof.

Glennon needs to get over himself. He's a third round pick who only has half a year of starting experience who was subsequently sat for two different QBs--one being McCown--and fell forward into a bottom-third starting salary on what is basically three one year deals. If he really thought he was a lock as a franchise QB for the team then he's completely delusional. He's never started a full year and he had to know his contract wasn't set up to easily cut bait by accident. He'll almost certainly get the nod this year and give Trubisky time to develop but next year or the year after he'll be in competition. 

37 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I don't think they're down on Tribisky in so much the way they aquired him - if they stood pat they probably could have got him and kept everything they gave up.

Glennon is kidding right? If the Bears don't give him that deal he doesn't get close to it. The Bears made a stupid deal to move up and get a guy they could have gotten at their pick. The Niners must have thought Christmas came early on Draft day. Glennon will bomb in Chi-town and will be on the FA market again when they release him after this coming season. Already griping because they drafted Trubisky? If he can't beat out Trubisky he should hang them up. Thank God the Jets didn't sign this guy.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

That didn't take long lol.

Those who want to "Suck For Sam" take note.

This can't be making Darnold feel good about joining a crappy organization when he has a year of collegiate eligibility left and can force his way to another team if all else fails.

SAR I

I have some sympathy for what the Bears did.

They wanted to make sure that they had a "starting" QB for 2017, so they signed Glennon for starter money.  The contract is not long-term, so it is only a large one year commitment, not multiple year commitment.  The smart move would be to let Glennon start in 2017 and have Trubisky learn.

But they obviously did not see Glennon as a long-term starter at $18mm/year, so they drafted MT for effectively $6mm/year for years 1-4.   I don't know what year 5 will be.  In year 1 they basically overpay for 2 QBs.

Time will tell how good MT is, but my guess is that he is as good as Glennon for much cheaper. 

I don't get the trade up-SF must have extorted them,

Ignoring the Jets not drafting a QB this year, the Jets were willing to go with McCown as their veteran bridge.  The Jets QB spend in 2017 is perhaps 1/3 of Chicago's, but the Jets QB floor in 2017 is much, much lower.    I like the Jets' strategy, but Chicago obviously wanted something different.  At least this year, the Jets appear to be taking the Championship or bust approach.  Chicago is trying to avoid another trainwreck season while also building for the future.  They are accumulating QB assets.  It may work.  I had advised drafting Trubisky at 6 for that reason.  I never would have said trade up for him.  

If Hack does not work out, Glennon could conceivably sign with the Jets in 2018 as a bridge to their future.

But Glennon should play well and be quiet.  There could be more of these bridges in the future.  

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Meh, if that type of money is still obtainable it is till it isn't. See Revis. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I have some sympathy for what the Bears did.

They wanted to make sure that they had a "starting" QB for 2017, so they signed Glennon for starter money.  The contract is not long-term, so it is only a large one year commitment, not multiple year commitment.  The smart move would be to let Glennon start in 2017 and have Trubisky learn.

But they obviously did not see Glennon as a long-term starter at $18mm/year, so they drafted MT for effectively $6mm/year for years 1-4.   I don't know what year 5 will be.  In year 1 they basically overpay for 2 QBs.

Time will tell how good MT is, but my guess is that he is as good as Glennon for much cheaper. 

I don't get the trade up-SF must have extorted them,

Ignoring the Jets not drafting a QB this year, the Jets were willing to go with McCown as their veteran bridge.  The Jets QB spend in 2017 is perhaps 1/3 of Chicago's, but the Jets QB floor in 2017 is much, much lower.    I like the Jets' strategy, but Chicago obviously wanted something different.  At least this year, the Jets appear to be taking the Championship or bust approach.  Chicago is trying to avoid another trainwreck season while also building for the future.  They are accumulating QB assets.  It may work.  I had advised drafting Trubisky at 6 for that reason.  I never would have said trade up for him.  

If Hack does not work out, Glennon could conceivably sign with the Jets in 2018 as a bridge to their future.

But Glennon should play well and be quiet.  There could be more of these bridges in the future.  

It seems the Bears overpaid a little for Glennon and overpaid in the draft to move up when they almost certainly would have Trubisky at three, but their overall strategy was not wrong. They can take a shot on both Glennon and Trubisky. If both are great maybe they can trade one away. 

The trade up was fairly bizarre though. Maybe they thought with what they had invested in Glennon for this year they couldn't afford not to take a shot at a QB high in the draft and needed to rule out any possibility of losing out on the top QB prospect. SF couldn't be completely eliminated as picking a QB; they must have feared it was a possibility. 

1 hour ago, Jet9 said:

There's no way to justify that draft day trade, none. 

This x100. That is what the whole hoopla is about.

With Solomon Thomas staring the 49ers right in the face, the Bears should simply have had the discipline to let the draft come to them and not lose their minds. 

But Lynch and co. worked Pace over and got quite the haul. 

Even if some team had traded up to 2 and took Trubisky,  Solomon Thomas would not have been a bad consolation prize. And if the object of the trade  up was indeed Thomas well then Trubisky would have been right there abailable to them. 

And then drafting 3 small school prospects didn't exactly help the situation out.

I checked out a couple of Bears fan forums and those people were completely raging over there...i mean losing their minds. 

Please post where Glennon has said anything negative about the pick.

Ummm you can't cause he didn't or hasn't said anything.

Everything is unsubstantiated media speculation.

The problem for Chicago is QB development and the strategy surrounding how and when you put a QB on the field.  The rest of Chicago's draft was a mystery as well.

When GMs make moves that no one would make, they don't remain GMs for long........................

Archived