Ads autoplaying sound

I spoke to some local experts here at my workplace, and it seems like the main problem is ad rotation (ads being replaced with other ads, after they've been shown for a bit).  A lot of the network activity is "pixels", which are 1x1 gifs which exist solely to trigger later loads of other ads.  (As a side note, he also wondered why you had the set of ads all the way at the bottom of the page - those are probably almost never seen / clicked.)

Another comment he made - smaller ad networks are often doing dodgy things to trick advertisers and/or publishers.  So if you think this new network is too good to be true - maybe it is... :-)  Of course, my company runs a big ad network, so maybe he's biased / take it with a grain of salt.

Feel free to email me if you want some more info.

14 minutes ago, thshadow said:

I spoke to some local experts here at my workplace, and it seems like the main problem is ad rotation (ads being replaced with other ads, after they've been shown for a bit).  A lot of the network activity is "pixels", which are 1x1 gifs which exist solely to trigger later loads of other ads.  (As a side note, he also wondered why you had the set of ads all the way at the bottom of the page - those are probably almost never seen / clicked.)

Another comment he made - smaller ad networks are often doing dodgy things to trick advertisers and/or publishers.  So if you think this new network is too good to be true - maybe it is... :-)  Of course, my company runs a big ad network, so maybe he's biased / take it with a grain of salt.

Feel free to email me if you want some more info.

This isn't a small ad network. This is a major one.

We have had a ton of problems with the smaller networks, they are slow to respond to malicious ads. The ads at the bottom are what they wanted, they are going to tinker with the layout. But they can definitely tell how many times an ad is seen. And they adjust the cpm based on the layout.

1 hour ago, CTM said:

I have had the redirect and the sound, but my biggest complaint is how slow the forum seems. Locks up my phone regularly

I think the video player was the main problem there. That is gone but we are also adjusting some other things and have a major performance upgrade happening in the next week.

The user experience has to be good though, and we will make sure that all of this gets fixed. Thanks.

I browse here multiple times every day using a Mac, a PC with windows 8.1 and an S7 edge.  The site has almost become unusable.  The delays while typing this post are ridiculous.  If it were not for the great content of your user base, I would not put up with this.  Sad, really.  I hope you get it working well soon.

7 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

I browse here multiple times every day using a Mac, a PC with windows 8.1 and an S7 edge.  The site has almost become unusable.  The delays while typing this post are ridiculous.  If it were not for the great content of your user base, I would not put up with this.  Sad, really.  I hope you get it working well soon.

Do you experience this only on JN or other sites too?

4 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Do you experience this only on JN or other sites too?

Just JN.  I am getting 116Mbps download with a 10 ms ping.  I am hardwired right into the router/modem.  As I type this i am waiting 2-3 seconds for the words to appear.  very frustrating.    The site is CONSTANTLY reloading.  I am using Chrome Version 57.0.2987.133 (64-bit)

11 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

Just JN.  I am getting 116Mbps download with a 10 ms ping.  I am hardwired right into the router/modem.  As I type this i am waiting 2-3 seconds for the words to appear.  very frustrating.    The site is CONSTANTLY reloading.  I am using Chrome Version 57.0.2987.133 (64-bit)

How is it right now?

7 minutes ago, Maxman said:

How is it right now?

I just restarted Chrome on my Mac and it seems to be better.  I am not getting the constant reload.  Did you change something?

Edit:  Oh, no ads.  Works great.  Not great for your bank account, though.

31 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

I just restarted Chrome on my Mac and it seems to be better.  I am not getting the constant reload.  Did you change something?

Edit:  Oh, no ads.  Works great.  Not great for your bank account, though.

8 minutes ago, thshadow said:

Yes, actually, it's great for me now too.  Though I'm not seeing ads...

Yes I took them all down temporarily. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't another problem. So I am glad to hear the performance improved with the ads gone.

I will work with the network and make sure the autoplay redirect issue has been fixed. Once that is done we can work int he normal 728 x 90 in the header \ footer, 300 x 250 in the sidebar.  I think that will work and should be a nice balance. Having a higher CPM doesn't do us any good nobody can view each page. :)

Thanks for all the feedback and patience. I promise we will get this sorted out!

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

I think the video player was the main problem there. That is gone but we are also adjusting some other things and have a major performance upgrade happening in the next week.

The user experience has to be good though, and we will make sure that all of this gets fixed. Thanks.

Okay but, if not, I'm going to ask for my money back! :)

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

We removed the video player from the forums. Can you all let me know if:

1. You hear sound on any ads (that should be fixed)

2. You have any redirects or other issues

I thank everyone for your patience. This network is good, we will get this sorted out.

Thanks!

So far my problems all seem to be healed.  Thanks

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Yes I took them all down temporarily. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't another problem. So I am glad to hear the performance improved with the ads gone.

I will work with the network and make sure the autoplay redirect issue has been fixed. Once that is done we can work int he normal 728 x 90 in the header \ footer, 300 x 250 in the sidebar.  I think that will work and should be a nice balance. Having a higher CPM doesn't do us any good nobody can view each page. :)

Thanks for all the feedback and patience. I promise we will get this sorted out!

download (6).jpg

Archived