Jump to content

McCown discusses Jets QB situation


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

I think some Jet fans need an OMG - Hack can actually play QB moment , to interrupt them from their wet dreams of sucking for Sam narratives.

I for one wanted Hack drafted and want to see what he can do !!!!!!

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bitonti said:

a couple of posters have said it before, but Bryce Petty might actually be the best QB on the Jets right now 

The only thing Bowles did right last year was to keep Perty off the field as long as possible.  Petty at qb was some of the worst qbing i have seen in my 39 years.

He was an abomination.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Kind of hope Petty just up and takes the job, and everyone involved looks stupid for getting him hurt last year, and then only going to him reluctantly at the end.

Wait. They all look stupid already. Okay, well, look stupider-er.

Look at it this way: it can't get any worser.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I for one wanted Hack drafted and want to see what he can do !!!!!!

Well we didn't get our guy CB and right now it looks like Hack is the only train to be on so I guess I'm with ya.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I'd like it to be Hack that takes the spot and never looks back, I agree with one poster from earlier who said it could be Petty. I really think those four games got his feet wet. I firmly believe he will come into this season with a lot more composure and a better grip on how to play in live action..- an actual mental advantage over Hackenberg, honestly. Petty had his ups and downs but I was overall impressed with his improvement in decision making and that only goes hand in hand with the fact his pre-snap reads were correct 90% of the time. I think Petty needs more live snaps before he develops a solid pocket presence. Because under pressure he gets a little reckless but he has flashed the ability to make it happen on numerous occasions. most memorable being the throw across his body to the other side of the field to Robby Anderson that eventually set up the game winner in San Fran..that tough 2 point play where he forced his way in over a linebacker.. showed me a lot of guts and moxie. I love Hack's skill set and potential but imo Petty is actually more accurate and can make all the throws. He did very well as a Baylor Bear after being in there for an unusual amount of time for a college QB.(Hence why he is 25-26 going into his third year.) Give him a solid system that stays in place for more than a year and I think he does well..especially in a system like the WCO that actually suits his skill set. I really like the thought of Petty to Hansen and Petty to Stewart..

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

As much as I'd like it to be Hack that takes the spot and never looks back, I agree with one poster from earlier who said it could be Petty. I really think those four games got his feet wet. I firmly believe he will come into this season with a lot more composure and a better grip on how to play in live action..- an actual mental advantage over Hackenberg, honestly. Petty had his ups and downs but I was overall impressed with his improvement in decision making and that only goes hand in hand with the fact his pre-snap reads were correct 90% of the time. I think Petty needs more live snaps before he develops a solid pocket presence. Because under pressure he gets a little reckless but he has flashed the ability on numerous occasions, most memorable being the throw across his body to the other side of the field to Robby Anderson that eventually set up the game winner in San Fran..that tough 2 point play where he forced his way in out a linebacker also showed me a lot of guts and moxie. I love Hack's skill set and potential but imo Petty is actually more accurate and can make all the throws. He did very well as a Baylor Bear after being in there for an unusual amount of time for a college QB.(Hence why he is 25-26 going into his third year.) Give him a solid system that stays in place for more than a year and I think he does well..especially in a system like the WCO that actually suits his skill set. I really like the thought of Petty to Hansen and Petty to Stewart..

Don't underestimate Robby Anderson either.  Lots around here are downplaying him but I think he will take another leap.  Not many rookie WR come in and produce like he did and it is not like he did it with just Petty.  I think he will be better than Q.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Don't underestimate Robby Anderson either.  Lots around here are downplaying him but I think he will take another leap.  Not many rookie WR come in and produce like he did and it is not like he did it with just Petty.  I think he will be better than Q.

Yeah I love Anderson. His speed and release is crazy. All he needs to do is put on just a little more muscle and get smoother and more comfortable with his route running and at that running the entire route tree. 9 routes are his specialty but he can't let it paint him as a one trick pony.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tinstar said:

If Hack or Petty can't beat out McCown, why should either be handed the Job when it would have become abundantly clear that neither would be the future starter with what's on tap next year .

Totally agree. I don't give a sh*t if Hack was picked number 1 in the draft. If he looks like crap in the pre season, he sits and he is most likely a bust. If he wants to start, show me something.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah I love Anderson. His speed and release is crazy. All he needs to do is put on just a little more muscle and get smoother and more comfortable with his route running and at that running the entire route tree. 9 routes are his specialty but he can't let it paint him as a one trick pony.

I like how CB have to play 5 or more yards off him so QB can just do quick strike for 3+ yards here and there frustrating the CB to come in closer then he just blows by him for long yardage.  Man he can do that all day long.

I also like that its not just his speed that is effective it is his catch radius - he really goes up there and snatches better than I have seen from a Jets WR in long time.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

McCown is a litmus test. If Petty or Hack cannot outperform a 37 year old perennial back up quarterback then we have a pretty  good idea what to expect out of the young bucks. Could they develop better with more years down the road? Sure, but if neither of them show just the raw talent to win the job we should be in full tank mode for a qb next year and let Mccown get his 1 or 3 wins this year.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking forward to seeing what this new offense looks like. I don't expect a straight-up WCO, just a good amount of the QB friendly concepts that come with that offense. Defenses around the league are much faster now than they were when the WCO was all the rage. But the Jets have some good parts for it. They had two RBs who can catch, and added a third. Both WRs they drafted are solid yac guys. Leggett looks like a value in the fifth round, and the competition should be good for ASJ - who should be a good player! Then you have Robby Anderson who can get downfield and hopefully help keep defenses honest. I don't think the OL is the complete disaster some here think (although I definitely agree it needs more work), and I actually think they may have enough pieces to be halfway decent. Good enough to plant McCown's $6M ass on the bench and start the kids. A system that focuses on easy to complete passes to players who can legitimately catch would be a good start. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to hear Josh McCown say anything. I don't want him to even be on this team. This season should be all about seeing what we have with the kids. Let Petty and Hack have all the Camp and preseason reps. Let them have all the playing time so we can get a clear picture of what they both are. I know we would have signed a veteran QB to have on the roster, but my gosh...... only we would bring in a guy that is a perennial loser and only rivals Fitzpatrick for playing on, whatever the number is, 8 teams. It would have been nice for us to maybe bring on a veteran QB that is familiar with the Harbaugh or Payton offense to aid in the veteran QB's ability to help teach Petty and Hack. 

McCown says the goal is to win the starting job. If I am our head coach there is no way I let McCown on the field and waste a season without getting good, on field evaluations of the kids. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

McCown is a litmus test. If Petty or Hack cannot outperform a 37 year old perennial back up quarterback then we have a pretty  good idea what to expect out of the young bucks. Could they develop better with more years down the road? Sure, but if neither of them show just the raw talent to win the job we should be in full tank mode for a qb next year and let Mccown get his 1 or 3 wins this year.

Pretty expensive litmus test

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, thadude said:

So why even sign him?  He has $6 mil guaranteed plus significant incentives

 

4 minutes ago, thadude said:

Pretty expensive litmus test

He's half the price and twice the arm of FitzPictrick. I certainly have no love for the contract, but it's a step in the right direction. And those significant incentives only really kick in if the Jets get to the playoffs/Super Bowl. If that happens, who cares what he's paid? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, slats said:

 

He's half the price and twice the arm of FitzPictrick. I certainly have no love for the contract, but it's a step in the right direction. And those significant incentives only really kick in if the Jets get to the playoffs/Super Bowl. If that happens, who cares what he's paid? 

No you're wrong the incentives kick in if he plays in a certain # of games 

 

McCown will outplay both Hack and Petty in TC.  The sad thing is he's actually worse than Fitzpatrick and Geno

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, thadude said:

No you're wrong the incentives kick in if he plays in a certain # of games 

1

No, you're wrong. The maximum he can get in playing time incentives is $2M - which in and of itself is highly unlikely. The other $5M in incentives are tied to making the playoffs, getting to the Super Bowl, and winning the Super Bowl. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is absolutely no part of me that wants to see McCown play even a single regular season snap, but I actually can't blame the Jets in the least for having him involved in this competition.  One of these kids needs to go out and win this job, and if it comes anywhere even close to being some sort of tie, you have to imagine they go in favor of Hack/Petty.

If it's a close race throughout and they give the tiebreaker to McCown, that's a totally different story that I imagine no one would be pleased with.  However, if it's a matter of McCown completely outperforming the both of them throughout, then the question is already answered.  One or both of them would undoubtedly get a chance at some point in the season, but if they can't keep up with an old career backup, there would be very little left that is unknown about the situation.  It's never that bad of an idea to make people earn something, especially when it should be simple enough to accomplish.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Tinstar said:

If Hack or Petty can't beat out McCown, why should either be handed the Job when it would have become abundantly clear that neither would be the future starter with what's on tap next year .

Because this is a one and done year for him.  He's not in the future plans at qb for the New York Jets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thadude said:

Franchise qb?  I doubt Hack could even be league average

Yeah, but that's your opinion and no one here really values your opinion. 

In the end, he will either succeed or fail. Nothing you or I think really matters. I wouldn't bet on him breaking out this year, but that is the one thing we have to look forward to/hope for this season. No one wants mccown and not many love what they saw from Petty. Your continual bashing of Hack is tedious at this point. We know you hate him, but you are acting like the rest of us love Hack and think he is a lock to be a franchise QB while no one is saying that. All we are saying is "meh, he is young, has a big arm, has talent, let's see what he can do."  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The only thing Bowles did right last year was to keep Perty off the field as long as possible.  Petty at qb was some of the worst qbing i have seen in my 39 years.

He was an abomination.

We have no idea if Petty is any good or not because they didn't let him throw the ball.The scared pussified offense they ran  with him was the real abomination.What they ran in the Rams game was arguably the worst offensive game plan in NFL history. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, peebag said:

Because this is a one and done year for him.  He's not in the future plans at qb for the New York Jets.

If neither of these guys can't beat out McCown, then  McCown should not be the only one looking for work next season .

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's was really nothing to this article. He'll be competing for a starting position against guys he's supposed to be teaching. 

 

Sounds like a great plan by Macc :rolleyes:.  Should have just drafted Peterman and hired a QB coach that was worth the 6 million as a coach that they instead gave to McCown who isnt worth 6 million as a QB or a coach. He made a reference to Jay Cutler, Jay Cutler's worst 3 year stretch as a QB was from 2011-13, the 3 years he was with McCown. 

 

This aspect of the team is the only part where I cant wait for the season to be over so we can move on from this guy. Getting tired of this team trying to feed this "mentor" bullsh*t. Get a guy who's won something and have him mentor if you're going the route of a player. This Fitz/McCown nonsense will be remembered as the dark ages. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

If neither of these guys can beat out McCown, then  McCown should not be the only one looking for work next season .

Hack and McCown will not be in the NFL in 2018.

 

Petty might be our 3rd stringer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...