PFF: Jets OLB Jordan Jenkins graded well as a rookie

LAD_Brooklyn

usatsi_9767933-e1486692530651.jpg

PFF: Jets OLB Jordan Jenkins graded well as a rookie

Despite being sidelined in the early parts of the season, Jets outside linebacker Jordan Jenkins was one of the best rookies at his position in 2016.

The third round pick out of Georgia received the second best grade of any rookie edge defender in 2016, ranking only behind third overall pick Joey Bosa, per ProFootballFocus.

Top-graded rookie edge defenders
Joey Bosa, @Chargers, 89.9
Jordan Jenkins, @NYJets, 73.7

No one else was above 65.0.

While Bosa grades out at 89.9, Jenkins graded out at 73.7, with no other edge defenders grading above 65.

Jenkins spent the first three weeks on the shelf with an ankle injury but rebounded for a productive rookie campaign.

Along with fellow rookie linebacker Darron Lee, Jenkins will be a major part of the Jets youth movement in 2017 and looks to be a major piece of the defense moving forward.

7 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

If Darron Lee and Jordan Jenkins decouple well and Adams/Mayes follows suit as they should...we really could have something special at every level of the Defense.

Well, until its time to renew their contracts at 15-20mil per. 

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I watched Bosa play and I have hard time believing the difference between him and Jenkins is just 89 to 73, but I am sure there are a hundred variables that PFF takes into account that I can't see. 

Bosa was on a different planet. You are correct. 

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I watched Bosa play and I have hard time believing the difference between him and Jenkins is just 89 to 73, but I am sure there are a hundred variables that PFF takes into account that I can't see. 

PFF once gave Aaron Rodgers a negative grade after a 300 yard 5 TD game. I have no idea what criteria they use to get their grades.

I thought he played well towards the end of the season. He was never expected to be a pass rushing wrecking ball. He is a calvin pace type. I think he'll be a good starter for us.

Lee...lets hope for the best. At least he's a good tackler. But he needs to turn and find the ball in coverage, and start causing some fumbles and impact plays.

56 minutes ago, David Harris said:

A solid if unspectacular starter is very good return on a 3rd round pick.

I've said from last draft he reminds me of Mo Lewis (and I know they both went to Univ of Ga)...Mo did everything well, was steady, was played inside and out. I see the same potential in Jenkins

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

If Darron Lee and Jordan Jenkins decouple well and Adams/Mayes follows suit as they should...we really could have something special at every level of the Defense.

Relax with the optimism mother****er. You in The Thunderdo I mean JetNation. 

17 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I've said from last draft he reminds me of Mo Lewis (and I know they both went to Univ of Ga)...Mo did everything well, was steady, was played inside and out. I see the same potential in Jenkins

Everyone is looking for David Harris's replacement , but nobody's looking at Jenkins . I think that Lee and Jenkins would make an excellent pair of Inside linebackers if and when the Jets can find his replacement on the outside . During his last year, Jenkins didn't play outside, but was mostly inside at Georgia .

He is our new version of Bryan Thomas. Always setting the edge, doing the dirty work and racking up 4-6 sacks a year. Not only do we need an OLB that can do that I will take that any time for a 3rd round pick.

Just now, jdeacon said:

He is our new version of Bryan Thomas. Always setting the edge, doing the dirty work and racking up 4-6 sacks a year. Not only do we need an OLB that can do that I will take that any time for a 3rd round pick.

I think this is a solid comparison.  Jenkins will never be a dominating pass rusher.  He's the dirty work, set the edge guy you described.  It would be nice to find that guy who can consistently get to the QB.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

I thought he played well towards the end of the season. He was never expected to be a pass rushing wrecking ball. He is a calvin pace type. I think he'll be a good starter for us.

Lee...lets hope for the best. At least he's a good tackler. But he needs to turn and find the ball in coverage, and start causing some fumbles and impact plays.

Calvin Pace was a damn good player in his prime.  Any Jet fan would sign up for that.

1 hour ago, detectivekimble said:

Calvin Pace was a damn good player in his prime.  Any Jet fan would sign up for that.

Definitely, me included. I didn't say it disparagngily. I just was noting that he was never really supposed to be a 12+ sack/year OLB. 

Jenkins is gonna be a good player for us.

15 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Another solid but unspectacular guy at a critical position. But hey, our guards, defensive ends, and safeties are all awesome!

Well he's an OLB who doesn't get sacks or hurries but other than that he's excellent.

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

you folks realize these kids were rookies playing at the highest level right ?

Ha...Good luck w/this one...Adams will be ripped by many here if he doesn't pick off the 1st pass he sees...

Just to recap, article states "only rookie better than ours was the DROY and 3rd overall pick" so logically the thread is dedicated to bitching about that players skill set.

Jordan Jenkins is gonna be awesome. If he get 7+ sacks this season chances our team is gonna end up with 6-7 wins instead of 3-4 wins. Assuming Williams and Mo also get 7+ sacks. 

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Just to recap, article states "only rookie better than ours was the DROY and 3rd overall pick" so logically the thread is dedicated to bitching about that players skill set.

Jordan Jenkins is gonna be awesome. If he get 7+ sacks this season chances our team is gonna end up with 6-7 wins instead of 3-4 wins. Assuming Williams and Mo also get 7+ sacks. 

Tell me more .

6 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Another solid but unspectacular guy at a critical position. But hey, our guards, defensive ends, and safeties are all awesome!

Jenkins is fine.  Mauldin is the guy who needs to be replaced.  The Jets need a real pass rusher at the other OLB spot.  Maulden is not the man.  

10 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

If Darron Lee and Jordan Jenkins develop well and Adams/Mayes follows suit as they should...we really could have something special at every level of the Defense.

I think Lee has a chance to be really good.  His biggest problem last year was in his head and lack of experience.  I find it funny people call him the tiny LBer cause it obvious they don't even watch the games.  The kid is not afraid to run into traffic and hit, he is lightning fast, and he can cover. His size has nothing to do with anything.  Yeah he got beat but what ILB in NFL does not get beat covering these TE?

Any who watching him play you can easily tell his issues are not physical.  He is a freak physically.  His issue is patience he needs to sit back and read the 9lay before knifing in, he gets caught out of position because he is not sure when to drop and by then it is too late, he just lacks experience.   The kid is only 22 and he will be good.

11 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

If Darron Lee and Jordan Jenkins develop well and Adams/Mayes follows suit as they should...we really could have something special at every level of the Defense.

Oh and you forgot to add Leo to that list

And all of them are 22 yrs old or less.

Archived