Passing on a QB in 2017

varjet

5 minutes ago, Pcola said:

With Hack it was always potential.  He learned a very intricate pro offense.  He NEVER had the stats, wins, or leadership that Darnold had last year.  Not even close.

No he didnt win the rose bowl. But his freshman year was be lauded because of that pro system with his physical attributes, and he was supposed to be the next great qb. 

Darnolds been unbelievable and if he has another year like last, he's obviously going #1. But who knows if he has a sophmore slump.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

First, I would have tried to trade down. To do this, I would have picked up the handset from my landline phone (because it is more reliable than a cell phone), dialed 9 for an outside line, and called the number of the team I was interested in talking to. When they picked up, I would have introduced myself. Then I would say "would you be interested in trading up to the sixth overall pick in the 2017 National Football League Draft, which my team, the New York Jets, currently possesses?" Then we would negotiate what the trade would entail. I would make sure to ask for a future 1st-round pick, but the trade could also involve other picks, or even players. If we were unable to reach an agreement, I would call another team, again by dialing 9 and then the appropriate phone number. At the end of each of these calls, I would say "thank you" and then "good luck with your draft," because I was raised to be polite. Once I reached a deal with a team, I would say "great" or "excellent" and then have an assistant write up the terms of the trade. These would then signed and faxed to the team with which I was trading. Once they signed off on the trade, I would fax it to the National Football League office, where it would presumably be approved. With this step completed, I would then need to think about what player I would draft with the pick I acquired in the aforementioned trade. My top target would be Deshaun Watson, quarterback from Clemson University. Other possibilities, depending on where said pick fell in the first round, could include David Njoku, tight end from the University of Miami (FL) and T.J. Watt, linebacker from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I would also feel a sense of pride and satisfaction because of the future pick I added. In fact, I would already be excited for next year's draft!

Now, what if I were unable to trade down at all? I will now describe my conduct in this scenario. First, I would still say "thank you" and "good luck with your draft" to all the teams I spoke to, even though we were unable to make a deal. Then, I would talk to my assistants and scouts. Together, we would decide on who we would take with the sixth overall pick in the 2017 National Football League Draft. Ultimately, I believe the best player to pick would be Deshaun Watson, quarterback, Clemson University. I would call my representatives at the Draft in Philadelphia. Now, in this case, I may again have to dial 9 for an outside line. On the other hand, we may be connected to our representatives such that pressing a single button--such as "1," "2," or even "3," would connect us directly to them. In either case, I would dial the appropriate number(s), then tell my representatives to write "Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson" on the draft card, knowing that both they and National Football League officials would understand "QB" to be shorthand for "quarterback," the position Watson plays. I would instruct them to write this using a black Sharpie with a fine point, for maximum legibility. This Sharpie would be provided to the representatives in advance of the Draft, so they would not have to borrow one from another team's representatives. The card with "Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson" written on it would be submitted to the National Football League officials in Philadelphia. I would then call Deshaun Watson to tell him we had selected him, and tell him we were excited to have him. At some point, Todd Bowles would also speak to him. When the selection was announced, our draft room would clap and shake hands with one another. Finally, due to the adrenaline rush (and the amount of coffee I drink), I would excuse myself to urinate. Then I would get to work on the rest of the draft--deciding what players to draft, fielding trade offers, and maybe even making a few of my own. A National Football League general manager never rests!

I quoted this post because I enjoyed it and was also raised to be polite. And the #1 thing I wanted from this draft was a trade down that netted the team a #1 pick in next year's draft. It sucked seeing Buffalo get that done when the Jets couldn't. 

I'm not sold on Deshaun Watson, quarterback, Clemson University at all, though. He wound up going to a dramatically better situation than he would've been in with the Jets, so it will be interesting to see how he develops there. 

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

First, I would have tried to trade down. To do this, I would have picked up the handset from my landline phone (because it is more reliable than a cell phone), dialed 9 for an outside line, and called the number of the team I was interested in talking to. When they picked up, I would have introduced myself. Then I would say "would you be interested in trading up to the sixth overall pick in the 2017 National Football League Draft, which my team, the New York Jets, currently possesses?" Then we would negotiate what the trade would entail. I would make sure to ask for a future 1st-round pick, but the trade could also involve other picks, or even players. If we were unable to reach an agreement, I would call another team, again by dialing 9 and then the appropriate phone number. At the end of each of these calls, I would say "thank you" and then "good luck with your draft," because I was raised to be polite. Once I reached a deal with a team, I would say "great" or "excellent" and then have an assistant write up the terms of the trade. These would then signed and faxed to the team with which I was trading. Once they signed off on the trade, I would fax it to the National Football League office, where it would presumably be approved. With this step completed, I would then need to think about what player I would draft with the pick I acquired in the aforementioned trade. My top target would be Deshaun Watson, quarterback from Clemson University. Other possibilities, depending on where said pick fell in the first round, could include David Njoku, tight end from the University of Miami (FL) and T.J. Watt, linebacker from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I would also feel a sense of pride and satisfaction because of the future pick I added. In fact, I would already be excited for next year's draft!

Now, what if I were unable to trade down at all? I will now describe my conduct in this scenario. First, I would still say "thank you" and "good luck with your draft" to all the teams I spoke to, even though we were unable to make a deal. Then, I would talk to my assistants and scouts. Together, we would decide on who we would take with the sixth overall pick in the 2017 National Football League Draft. Ultimately, I believe the best player to pick would be Deshaun Watson, quarterback, Clemson University. I would call my representatives at the Draft in Philadelphia. Now, in this case, I may again have to dial 9 for an outside line. On the other hand, we may be connected to our representatives such that pressing a single button--such as "1," "2," or even "3," would connect us directly to them. In either case, I would dial the appropriate number(s), then tell my representatives to write "Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson" on the draft card, knowing that both they and National Football League officials would understand "QB" to be shorthand for "quarterback," the position Watson plays. I would instruct them to write this using a black Sharpie with a fine point, for maximum legibility. This Sharpie would be provided to the representatives in advance of the Draft, so they would not have to borrow one from another team's representatives. The card with "Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson" written on it would be submitted to the National Football League officials in Philadelphia. I would then call Deshaun Watson to tell him we had selected him, and tell him we were excited to have him. At some point, Todd Bowles would also speak to him. When the selection was announced, our draft room would clap and shake hands with one another. Finally, due to the adrenaline rush (and the amount of coffee I drink), I would excuse myself to urinate. Then I would get to work on the rest of the draft--deciding what players to draft, fielding trade offers, and maybe even making a few of my own. A National Football League general manager never rests!

This is like a gazillion dbatesman posts here 

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Patrick Mahomes quickly realizes how different an NFL offense is

Posted by Mike Florio on May 8, 2017, 6:03 AM EDT
ap_17124518629461-e1494237559143.jpg?w=2AP

For quarterbacks attempting to make the transition from college to the pros, one of the biggest challenges comes from learning the far more convoluted offenses of the NFL. For Chiefs rookie Patrick Mahomes, the transition began over the weekend, with the team’s rookie minicamp.

“It’s definitely learning,” Mahomes told reporters, via quotes distributed by the team. “More so just going through the process and making the ‘mike’ ID, calling the play and making sure everyone is in the right position. It’s a lot more than I had at Texas Tech but we’re learning as we go and we’re getting better every single rep.”

One big challenge for Mahomes, like most other rookie quarterbacks, comes from communication.

“The words are pretty difficult but you get those down,” Mahomes said. “It’s about knowing what’s happening when you say the words. You can’t just say them and not know what’s going on. For me, it’s all about knowing what’s going on the entire play and knowing why coach is calling this play. . . . The biggest thing was just getting in that huddle, calling the play and knowing it. I’ve studied all of the installs that we did. . . . But whenever I got out there and called it, I had to look out, see the guys and make sure everyone was in the right position. That was the process which was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be.”

It’s a little surprising he didn’t know how hard it was going to be. But now he does, and as he sits behind Alex Smith for however long Mahomes will sit, he’ll have time to learn what he needs to learn about life as an NFL quarterback.

As he learns even more about the process, chances are he’ll continue to realize it’s all a lot harder than he thought it was going to be.

JIF's failed attempt at a dbatesman post

1 hour ago, slats said:

I quoted this post because I enjoyed it and was also raised to be polite. And the #1 thing I wanted from this draft was a trade down that netted the team a #1 pick in next year's draft. It sucked seeing Buffalo get that done when the Jets couldn't. 

I'm not sold on Deshaun Watson, quarterback, Clemson University at all, though. He wound up going to a dramatically better situation than he would've been in with the Jets, so it will be interesting to see how he develops there. 

Thank you, slats.

I'm not totally sold on Watson either. The arm strength is a legit concern, and the fact that he was the 3rd QB taken is damning in a wisdom-of-crowds kind of way. But he checked enough boxes that I would have been happy with it.

4 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Dbates: Hello, Deshaun, This is Dbatesman GM of the NYJ, we have been impressed with your overall body of work and the outstanding young man you are, welcome to the NYJ's.

DeShaun: Thank you sir, I will do my best.

Dbates: You are welcome. Thats all we ask

Deshaun (hangs up phone looks at mom) Geez I thought I would vomit if the Jets drafted me, but that guy was so polite I can't wait for rookie camp.

Mom: See. Everyone loves a polite young man.

You kiss your mother with all that confirmation bias?

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

JIF's failed attempt at a dbatesman post

By posting an article?  Are you getting him confused with kelly? 

And this is an article disparaging a QB prospect we passed on for a S.  It's like you dont even know who he is.  This is a huge insult to the work  @dbatesman has been putting in around here lately.

6 hours ago, dbatesman said:

That's great.  But what would you do after you selected to DeShaun Watson to make sure that his 49 mph that didnt sink him the draft wont be exposed come game time?  I'd like a little more detail than the above please.  There was a lot left to question after reading this.

Like, what are you wearing in the board room?  Curious minds want to know. 

It’s amazing how teams can occupy the same state, county and building for over 30 years and be so historically divergent.

The above line I have been stating for over 20 years.  There are a handful of teams that draft well and develop well.  Whether it is the Giants, Pats, Steelers, GB.

Yet every year, the bottom of the NFL remains relatively unchanged in many respects, not all.

Its not the players..its the players being chosen and not developed and the brunt is on poor management and ownership.

20 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

It’s amazing how teams can occupy the same state, county and building for over 30 years and be so historically divergent.

The above line I have been stating for over 20 years.  There are a handful of teams that draft well and develop well.  Whether it is the Giants, Pats, Steelers, GB.

Yet every year, the bottom of the NFL remains relatively unchanged in many respects, not all.

Its not the players..its the players being chosen and not developed and the brunt is on poor management and ownership.

so how have the Giants only won playoff games in 2 of Eli's 13 seasons?

1 hour ago, JiF said:

By posting an article?  Are you getting him confused with kelly? 

And this is an article disparaging a QB prospect we passed on for a S.  It's like you dont even know who he is.  This is a huge insult to the work  @dbatesman has been putting in around here lately.

it was a joke .... at the length of the dbatesman post 

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

so how have the Giants only won playoff games in 2 of Eli's 13 seasons?

We've had this discussion many times...  I dint think any rational person would say the Jets and Giants are near similar in any aspect for well over 30 years.

Thank you, slats.

I'm not totally sold on Watson either. The arm strength is a legit concern, and the fact that he was the 3rd QB taken is damning in a wisdom-of-crowds kind of way. But he checked enough boxes that I would have been happy with it.

who the **** kidnapped the real dbatesman and gave us this imposter ?

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

We've had this discussion many times...  I dint think any rational person would say the Jets and Giants are near similar in any aspect for well over 30 years.

now you are expanding it to 30 years but you like to talk about the Giants like they belong w/ the Pats, Steelers and others.  they have 2 SB wins which we'd all sign up for obviously but those 2 fluke runs do not demonstrate greatness over a period of time.  They have playoff wins in 2 seasons since 2001.  2 great runs which they deserve credit for but they have not been a model franchise like a NE.

Thank you, slats.

@dbatesman face it.  No matter what happens, you will never be truly happy. 

On 5/8/2017 at 5:39 PM, T0mShane said:

Even if you excuse the Jets for passing on a QB this year, it's still inexcusable to do little to pad the nest for the QB they'll draft in 2018. Next year's roster at the skill positions will be even bleaker than this year's because you're definitely losing Decker and could potentially lose Enunwa as an RFA. Even if you're getting Darnold, he could be walking into a huddle with no OLT, no viable C, no WR1, and Bilal Powell. We'll be optimistic and say that Stewart and/or Enunwa develop into a #2 WR, but the cupboard is bare otherwise. 

huh?  more than a few posters are praising all the receiver talent the jets have accumulated.  they did draft two receivers in this years draft along with a pass catching te.  that's not exactly reducing skill positions.  and they will re-sign enunwa and, depending on what happens with anderson, will still have him and peake.  marshall is gone along with his 50% catch rate.

On 5/9/2017 at 5:16 AM, Beerfish said:

We will be drafting a QB high in 2018.  It was the right move not to draft a guy this year.  The only failing was not adding any significant draft capital for next year.

This.

There was no point in drafting a QB this year when the overwhelming consensus was - that this was a very poor QB crop.

Add to that, that we really have no idea what we have in Hackenburg - it would have been foolish to draft a QB without seeing what he has to offer.

He sat his entire rookie season (the way it used to be done with rookie QB's back in the day) and hasn't started a regular season game yet.

Let him compete this year, if he is any good, he'll find his way to the field - either by beating out McCown - or when McCown gets hurt.

If Hack flops then you draft a QB high in the 2018 draft which has been widely reported to have a much more promising crop of QB's coming out.

I think you would have seen A LOT more negative reports, if the Jets actually drafted a QB high in this draft.

I got in here late, but I think the article is fundamentally flawed in the sense that it doesn't take into the Jets previous seasons of drafting. They had drafted QB's multiple years in a row prior to this year. If we weren't going to use the first round pick on a QB and with Trubisky gone, what was the point of having a third project QB on the roster, they can't all make the team? A veteran is needed

Couldn't not drafting a qb this year imply they would rather bet on Hack and Petty for this upcoming season than whatever project qb they could find in the draft? But the writer is just assuming Petty and Hack are trash. 

Archived