Joe Namath wants to see Christian Hackenberg start

BurnleyJet

Joe gets it..

Joe Namath wants to see Christian Hackenberg start

Everyone has an opinion on who should start as the New York Jets' quarterback.

Few of those opinions matter.

While Joe Namath might not have the ear of the coaches, the Jets legend offered his view on the road Gang Green should take in 2017.

"I would like to see [Christian] Hackenberg," Namath said, via NJ.com. "I think we need someone for the future."

Josh McCown was signed as the bridge quarterback and appears set to earn the opening day gig. Given the 37-year-old veteran's injury history, even if coach Todd Bowles goes with the "safe" option out of the gate, it's likely we'll see Hackenberg and/or Bryce Petty at some point in 2017.

Namath is among Jets fans who think the team should just roll with Hackenberg and give the second-year pro a chance to sink or swim. McCown has a clear ceiling. Hackenberg is a complete unknown.

"This is no reflection on Josh," Namath said. "He's a proven veteran and brings a lot to the team. But realistically, you want to make the playoffs, win a Super Bowl. We have to get the guy who can do that."

If Hackenberg is that guy, the Jets finally solved the problem. If it's not, #ScamForSam -- an attempt to position itself to draft USC quarterback Sam Darnold -- is in full effect. Before the Jets can finally find the franchise QB to lift them past the Patriots, first they need to determine whether second-round pick Hackenberg can be that answer.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000807610/article/joe-namath-wants-to-see-christian-hackenberg-start

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Hack will make it or not is not the question. Will Todd Bowles come to his senses and allow Petty or Hack start over McCown. We know what McCown is. Time to evaluate the young guys to see if they are the future of this team. We aren't winning the Superbowl this year anyway. If so, why push it? Let the young guys start. If they win games and show improvement, we will be fine. If they aren't what we hoped them to be, we are fine again as we will pick high in next year's draft. 

There is only one logical move here. Let Hack or Petty start. 

For Hack or Petty to not start day one would mean one or both is either hurt, or so so bad at football that Macc would rather just throw in the towel and admit they are abject failures than have us actually see how bad they are.

There is zero chance McCown starts day one barring injury.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

New York Jets

Where it stands: They signed Josh McCown in case neither 2015 fourth-round pick Bryce Petty nor 2016 second-round pick Christian Hackenberg are ready to play this year. And it's possible neither will be. There's not enough data on either guy for the Jets or anyone else to know. The perception around the league is that the Jets, whose roster has plenty of holes in addition to quarterback, need to use this season to find out what they have in one or both of those guys and figure out whether they need to draft their quarterback of the future in 2018. A grim picture, but it is what it is.

Most likely to start Week 1: McCown, probably, because he has the most experience and gives the Jets a chance at the outset of the season, when no one wants to give up before it starts.

Most likely to lead team in 2017 starts: Hackenberg. He was the higher pick and seems to be more likely than Petty to assimilate into an NFL offense based on his collegiate background. The Jets need to find out what they have in him.

Let them fight it out in training camp. The winner starts. If its McCown he needs to be the starter for a few weeks and then let Hack/Petty start. It does no good to let a 37 year old journeyman start the full season. Hell it makes no sense to let him start at all. McCown should be there to mentor these young guys not lead the team to a 4 or 5 win season.

Joe finally said something intelligent. Why hide hack another yr ? We are likely picking a qb top of next yrs draft. Unless hackenberg gets in there and shocks the world. Might as well give him that long shot before we call him a bust before he even gets a shot.

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

Why do so many seem so eager to ditch Petty?

Has it occurred to some of you that Petty might be the best QB on the roster?

This.

Petty has plenty of room for growth still. People act like last year was a true read, when he was finally given starts behind a patchwork OL, when everyone on the roster gave up on the season. The kid didn't get any quality reps in his rookie year. Last year, he was hurt and didn't get a complete pre-season, then missed the majority of his 2nd year, and was thrown into a bad situation when he did get starts.

I'm not one to make excuses, unless they are actually excuses. I think he's as deserving as a real shot this year, as Hack.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Not for nothing but Namath says this about every single young quarterback we draft.

Febraury 15, 2009

Joe Namath demands straight answers from Jets on QB situation . . . wouldn't be opposed to Kellen Clemens getting the job, but he'd sure like some straight answers from the organization.

May 22nd, 2013:

Joe Namath: Mark Sanchez will be better for N.Y. Jets

May 14, 2014:

Joe Namath: Michael Vick probably the best QB on Jets roster

June 15, 2016:

Joe Namath thinks Jets' Geno Smith will start even if Ryan Fitzpatrick re-signs

October 30th, 2016:

Joe Namath wants Jets to bench Ryan Fitzpatrick, play Bryce Petty

and so on  . . . . 

11 hours ago, HessStation said:

Look, sorry Mac but it's 2017 dude. You don't take QBs in the 2nd round as 3-4 yr projects anymore unless you have an aging star QB on the roster already. Play the kid.

I want to know NOW if Hack can play at an NFL level.  Forget Petty or the fossil McCown.  Announce Hack as the starter, give him all the reps no matter what starting now, and put him behind center on opening day.  If he augers in?  Great, at least we didn't string it out and can cut him knowing we gave the guy a clear shot.

FTR, I don't thing the dunce Mcc has the balls to do this.  Nor do I believe hack will ever cut it.

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

This.

Petty has plenty of room for growth still. People act like last year was a true read, when he was finally given starts behind a patchwork OL, when everyone on the roster gave up on the season. The kid didn't get any quality reps in his rookie year. Last year, he was hurt and didn't get a complete pre-season, then missed the majority of his 2nd year, and was thrown into a bad situation when he did get starts.

I'm not one to make excuses, unless they are actually excuses. I think he's as deserving as a real shot this year, as Hack.

He was missing wide open WR's.  Like, nobody around them streaking down the field and Petty missed them by 10-20 yards.  He's pretty terrible. 

He was averaging a pick for every 18 attempts.  That's bad. Like, really bad.  Like, unfathomably bad. Like, worse than Geno Smith rookie season bad.

8 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Febraury 15, 2009

Joe Namath demands straight answers from Jets on QB situation . . . wouldn't be opposed to Kellen Clemens...

and so on  . . . . 

Yeah, but that doesn't make him wrong.  In every one of those situations the QB that was currently under center had already proven NOT to be capable of leading the franchise.  So why stick with them when you have an alternative who is unproven?  Next man up.  I don't see how anyone can fault him for that.  You keep trying until you find the guy. 

Of course having a good scouting staff and competent GM to acquire the right prospects in the first place would also make it a hell of a lot better in terms of the likelihood of finding him, but that is a different issue.

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

He was missing wide open WR's.  Like, nobody around them streaking down the field and Petty missed them by 10-20 yards.  He's pretty terrible. 

He was averaging a pick for every 18 attempts.  That's bad. Like, really bad.  Like, unfathomably bad. Like, worse than Geno Smith rookie season bad.

I never liked the Petty pick from day 1, and I agree that he was not very good last year, but he still deserves the opportunity to prove himself. I'd be thrilled if he put it all together and became a good starter. Four games is not enough to judge anything.  Eli Manning sucked balls for 4 whole seasons.

Open competition between Hack and Petty and best man wins. And if Bowles puts McCown into the competition, fire him.

7 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

Yeah, but that doesn't make him wrong.  In every one of those situations the QB that was currently under center had already proven NOT to be capable of leading the franchise.  So why stick with them when you have an alternative who is unproven?  Next man up.  I don't see how anyone can fault him for that.  You keep trying until you find the guy. 

Of course having a good scouting staff and competent GM to acquire the right prospects in the first place would also make it a hell of a lot better in terms of the likelihood of finding him, but that is a different issue.

Agreed and we had not yet drafted Mark in February 2009, Favre left us and as nothing changes in this organization, we have no solid plan for the QB.

So we bring in retread  no name vets like McGown and Fitz....   we are a laughing stock from a management standpoint.

We should give Petty or Hack a full season of reps. If one shows they are "pick" prone, start the other.

37 minutes ago, JiF said:

Petty was bad, but so was everyone around him.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Cant judge him until he gets to play with All-Pro's at every other position IMHO

I would like Joe Namath to shut up.

I'm as big a fan as there is, but there comes a time for a sports legend to fade away gracefully instead of interfering with and criticizing the strategy of a team he is no longer a part of.

I don't remember the last time Ron Guidry criticized Hal Steinbrenner or Rod Gilbert announced who he thought our first line right wing should be.

I get that Florida is boring Joe, but quit trying to generate blog hits, find some divorcee to bang, and keep your opinions to yourself.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I would like Joe Namath to shut up.

I'm as big a fan as there is, but there comes a time for a sports legend to fade away gracefully instead of interfering with and criticizing the strategy of a team he is no longer a part of.

I don't remember the last time Ron Guidry criticized Hal Steinbrenner or Rod Gilbert announced who he thought our first line right wing should be.

I get that Florida is boring Joe, but quit trying to generate blog hits, find some divorcee to bang, and keep your opinions to yourself.

SAR I

SAR I the same can be said about you sometimes. 

Sadly the Jets choose to shut out former players like Joe Namath he should be involved in some capacity with this organization. 

Its like this team has no history or wants any part of former players. 

13 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Cant judge him until he gets to play with All-Pro's at every other position IMHO

Ahh you mean like Emmitt Smith Micheal Irvin and Jay Novachek ? Or did you mean Jerry Rice Roger Craig and Brent Jones ? Oh wait you meant Marshall Faulk Issace Bruce and Tory Holt ? Or was it Harrison, Wayne, James and Clark ? Or Welker, Moss, Gronk, Edleman ? I can't seem to remember when we had guys that good like HOF good. We are the NY Jets we have a higher standard for our QB's and a much different philosophy our QB's have to work for what they get its got to be so much more satisfying when you finally win you know something we have not done in 48 years

Edit forgot as few guys Zeke Elliott Dez Bryant, Jason Whitten and that OL that has like 4 pro bowlers, also forgot the guys like Antonio Brown and Levon Bell ...some day

Just now, Smashmouth said:

Ahh you mean like Emmitt Smith Micheal Irvin and Jay Novachek ? Or did you mean Jerry Rice Roger Craig and Brent Jones ? Oh wait you meant Marshall Faulk Issace Bruce and Tory Holt ? Or was it Harrison, Wayne, James and Clark ? Or Welker, Moss, Gronk, Edleman ? I can't seem to remember when we had guys that good like HOF good. We are the NY Jets we have a higher standard for our QB's and a much different philosophy our QB's have to work for what they get its got to be so much more satisfying when you finally win you know something we have not done in 48 years

Yeah, all those guys

Archived