Kapernick - why the hell not?

PavlovsDogs

Blaine Gabbert got a job before Colin Kaepernick.

You have the right to speak your mind, but you have to take the consequences of such. Freedom of Speech entails you to be given the right to say what you want. It does not cover what the consequences after you talk are.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

You have the right to speak your mind, but you have to take the consequences of such. Freedom of Speech entails you to be given the right to say what you want. It does not cover what the consequences after you talk are.

It protects you from the government (or is suppose to), not a job. 

6 hours ago, nyjunc said:

the man took a knee on 9/11 a year ago(9/12 but they were honoring the memories of those lost on 9/11).  he can never play here even if he was good, which he is not.

I support his right to take a knee(as misguided as his stance was) but you can't take a knee on 9/11 weekend under any circumstances.  do it the other 15 games, not around 9/11 memorials.

If the Jets signed this guy it would make things super easy for me. I would be done with them as a fan. Forever. I would encourage my kids to root for other teams, or not bother. 

I checked out when we signed Mike Vick, but not permanently. I think Sheldon Richardson is a scumbag moron. But as a Firefighter, veteran, and son (and Grandson) of Police Officers, if the Jets signed this ****tard, I would walk away and send all of my hats, jerseys, and other memorabilia to Florham Park with a hearty letter expressing my heartfelt sentiments of "**** you".

This sh*t? No.colin-kaepernick-takes-knee-650-433.jpg

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

This100%

If he were Tom Brady, I would be tied naked to the Jets gate demanding he be on the team. 

The idea that we know what views anybody have on the team is ludicrous and IMO in America everybody is entitled to their views whether or not I find them disagreeable.   

The idea that anybody should be shutdown on the left or the right is repugnant to me and should be to any true thinking patriotic American.  

How is you being tied naked to the gate bent over supposed to entice Brady? Oh damn dude. Gross!!!

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

This100%

If he were Tom Brady, I would be tied naked to the Jets gate demanding he be on the team. 

The idea that we know what views anybody have on the team is ludicrous and IMO in America everybody is entitled to their views whether or not I find them disagreeable.   

The idea that anybody should be shutdown on the left or the right is repugnant to me and should be to any true thinking patriotic American.  

Has nothing to do with views left or right, its about using our entertainment as a venue to to promote your views. Just like I support his rights to have any view he wants, I also have the right, as an American, to find his venue choice, unacceptable and to not want him anywhere near my team. And I'd feel the same if it were Aaron Rodgers or Brady or anyone else. 

6 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

1 He hates america and disrespected out troops, **** him

2 he sucks

3 seriously though he is an idiot

4 living in CA I can tell you the truth about Kaep no wants him

5 **** him and his stupid ass

this is what is wrong. He did not stand for the anthem  does that constitute disrespecting troops. Nope and as a Army vet I have no issue with that, it also does not mean he hates America. This is a conservation mentality. I do find some of his views hysterical especially about Che being a hero because he met with Malcom X.

What has he said bad about the US instead this is right as long he does not instigate a riot or cause harm or impedes someone else's beliefs. He did not do that either.

Everyone acts like he is the first sports person not to stand for the anthem, guess what he is not the first there either anyone rember the 90s?

https://theundefeated.com/features/abdul-rauf-doesnt-regret-sitting-out-national-anthem/

Dislike because he sucks, dislike him for his views but to say he hates America and disrespected anyone is not entirely correct. Where are the people who are saying this when I was in the Army getting mocked in the 80s? or the Vietnam Vets who got spit on.

As a vet and as an american I may not agree with everything he says  but I put my money where my mouth is by serving and that allows him the right whether I or anyone else agrees or not to peacefully protest.

Over half the people complaining have not served I asked people at bars  and at events and I get a blank stare back when I ask were in the serivice, the same way I say he has his rights I would defend yours also for the same behavior

21 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Has nothing to do with views left or right, its about using our entertainment as a venue to to promote your views. Just like I support his rights to have any view he wants, I also have the right, as an American, to find his venue choice, unacceptable and to not want him anywhere near my team. And I'd feel the same if it were Aaron Rodgers or Brady or anyone else. 

this is a fair statement but if judged soley on football he should get another chance somewhere. I just think he is another Geno Smith and we have been there and done that

6 hours ago, PavlovsDogs said:

Just finished reading this article...  for a QB needy team like the Jets, why wouldn't they bring him in?  I think it's important to consider what Harbaugh says about him...

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/30/nfl-colin-kaepernick-free-agent-quarterback-looking-job

Why Is Colin Kaepernick Still Looking for a Job?

The theories are hotly debated: He’s being blackballed for his protests. He’s not an elite QB. Football isn’t a top priority. His mobile style of play isn’t in vogue anymore. The truth: there’s no simple answer

Mute
Current Time1:50
/
Duration Time6:00
Loaded: 0%

Progress: 0%

24 Hours with Adam Schefter
The MMQB begins a series of inside-inside football stories and video pieces for the 2017 season with a view into the life of ESPN NFL information czar Adam Schefter on his busiest day of the year: the kickoff day to NFL free-agency.

24 Hours with Adam Schefter
The MMQB begins a series of inside-inside football stories and video pieces for the 2017 season with a view into the life of ESPN NFL information czar Adam Schefter on his busiest day of the year: the kickoff day to NFL free-agency.

You run into all sorts of people in New York City, and these days you might see a muscular, freakishly athletic, highly motivated 225-pound vegan who has divided the country. Colin Kaepernick is back to his old playing weight after being noticeably slimmer in 2016, when three surgeries kept him from his usual training regimen. The question now is whether Kaepernick’s adversaries will get their pound of flesh.

After three weeks as a free agent, Kaepernick remains unemployed. This is not a typical case of unemployment, of course, where friends give sympathetic hugs and contribute to a GoFundMe campaign. Kaepernick has made millions, and he may yet make millions more. He will be fine. Still, he is only 29, he has been an NFL starter in each of the last five seasons, and nobody has signed him.

There are many theories as to why. Teams are punishing him for kneeling during the national anthem. They fear he will do it again. They don’t think he can play anymore. Football isn’t a priority for him. He isn’t worth the distractions he creates. Each theory makes some sense . . . until you talk to the men who have actually coached him.

colin-kaepernick-650-433-portrait.jpg
Photo: 

He can’t play anymore …

“He’s big, athletic, he can hurt you both throwing and running,” says Chip Kelly, Kaepernick’s coach with the 49ers last season. “The last couple of years, he was banged up. I think he is going to be better next year than he was this past year because physically he will be better.”

Last year, Kaepernick finished 17th in the NFL in passer rating and 23rd in ESPN’s Total Quarterback Rating. That’s certainly not Pro Bowl-quality. But it wasn’t bad for a player recovering from surgeries on his right thumb, his left knee and a torn shoulder labrum, a player who was leading an offense full of castoffs and afterthoughts.

Football is not a priority …

“Every day his car would be the first one in the parking lot,” says Jim Harbaugh, who almost won Super Bowl 47 with Kaepernick in San Francisco before moving on to the University of Michigan. “He’d be studying film and he’d be working out in the morning. I mean, no later than 5:45. He was already in a full lather when I would see him.”

He’s a distraction to his teammates …

“There was zero distraction,” Kelly says. “He met with the team immediately after [his first protest]. He met with the other team leaders. He explained his position and where he was coming from. And literally, that was it. Colin was focused on football. He was all about the team and trying to help us win.”

• ANDY BENOIT: Inside the Minds of the NFL’s Six New Coaches

There are 32 NFL teams, which means there are 64 quarterback jobs. Harbaugh believes Kaepernick can still be a starter, if not an elite player. Kelly says, “Do I think he is one of the top 64 quarterbacks in the world? There is no question. Does he have the ability to play quarterback on a winning team in the NFL? There is no question.”

So why is Colin Kaepernick looking for a job?

We could blame NFL teams for being obtuse. We could blame Kaepernick for being obstinate. We could argue that the NFL cares only about public relations or that Kaepernick is un-American. But saying Kaepernick is unemployed simply because of his politics or bad publicity is like saying Adrian Peterson is unemployed simply because he was accused of child abuse. It may be a factor, but it’s not the only one.

If we view Kaepernick’s free agency as a straightforward referendum on his protests, then we make the same mistakes people usually make when it comes to Colin Kaepernick. We simplify a complicated issue, and we get mad instead of trying to understand.

One thing Kaepernick does not do well is speak about himself. Since the 2016 season ended, the President of the United States has publicly said more about Kaepernick than Kaepernick has. Donald Trump did not quite take credit for Kaepernick’s unemployment, but he came close. In classic Trump fashion, he said some people are saying teams won’t sign Kaepernick because they’re afraid Trump will rip them on Twitter, and “Can you believe that?”

Kaepernick did not respond. He also declined to talk to me for this story, as I figured he would. He does not like publicity. This sounds preposterous: Kaepernick caused a national debate in the middle of a presidential campaign, landing his name and face everywhere through actions of his choosing. But it’s true: he does not like publicity. He has declined requests for one-on-one interviews from virtually every major media outlet since his first anthem protest.

His aversion to publicity places himself in an awkward position, because the cause he has championed needs publicity. He wants us to listen to his message about oppression and police brutality and justice, but pay no mind to the messenger.

colin-kaepernick-650-433.jpg
Photo: 

But America wants to talk about the messenger. We always do. And so Kaepernick’s critics throw various darts his way: He hates his country. He hates the police. He hates the military. He resents being adopted by a white family. He is trying to draw attention to himself because he isn’t a star anymore. He is a naïve pawn in a political game that he doesn’t understand.

None of it is true. Kaepernick is bright, thoughtful, quiet, and fiercely independent; you could sooner talk a tree into making you a sandwich than talk Kaepernick into doing something he doesn’t want to do. When college scouts said his future was in baseball, he declared he would be an NFL star. When his mother asked him to skip a high school baseball game because he had pneumonia, he pitched a no-hitter. When a writer criticized his tattoos, he responded by kissing his tattooed biceps after touchdowns.

• PETER KING: Kaepernick Doesn’t Care What You Think About His Tattoos

Kaepernick may not have fully anticipated the firestorm he caused last fall, but once he caused it, he wasn’t going to back down. Stubbornness may be his hallmark trait. It helps explain why he went from a lightly regarded recruit to an NFL star. Harbaugh says of his time coaching Kaepernick: “It got to the point where nobody could challenge him in a workout. Otherwise, he’d bring them to their knees. Like in running workouts—nobody could hang with him. Nobody was in the kind of shape he was.”

You might argue that was the old Kaepernick, before his head turned toward the Black Lives Matter movement. But there is no evidence that Kaepernick’s interest in social justice sapped his interest in football. Kelly says Kaepernick did not miss a day of the 49ers’ voluntary workouts last summer. Remember: Kaepernick was recovering from three surgeries and was not happy with the organization. But he was unrelenting, and he remained that way all fall.

And this brings us to two seemingly contradictory statements about Kaepernick:

1. He is absolutely, completely, 100% committed to playing in the NFL this year.

2. If NFL teams demand he put aside his social justice work, he will walk away from the game.

Those statements are tough to reconcile. But I believe both to be true. He wants to be some team’s hardest worker, but he won’t change who he is. This is why the concept of “risk” is actually limited with Kaepernick. His performance might be a risk. Fan backlash could be a risk, especially in certain markets. But his character is decidedly not a risk. The notion of Kaepernick loafing while cashing checks is laughable to anybody who knows him.

colin-kaepernick-650-433-biceps-kiss.jpg
Photo: 

“When Colin is with us, he is 100 percent football,” Kelly says. “There’s not, ‘Hey, Coach, I don’t have time for this.’ That was never him. [The protest] never affected how he worked or what our workplace was like. And that’s a credit to Colin.”

Generally, pundits and fans only see what players show us. Kaepernick’s protests were public, so they became fodder for national debate. Players see much more. They know who shows up to late to meetings hung over and who likes to hit strip clubs three times a week. This is why Kaepernick’s protests did not affect his standing in the locker room: Teammates saw how hard he worked.

But we cannot discount what the public sees. NFL teams are businesses, owned by prideful billionaires. Owners want to win, but they also do not like to be embarrassed. Some would be embarrassed to have their famous guests look down from the owner’s box and see the starting quarterback kneeling during the national anthem.

In early March, about a week before NFL free agency opened, ESPN reported that Kaepernick will stand for the anthem this fall. That report led many to logically conclude that Kaepernick dropped his protest because he wants a team to sign him. Well, maybe. First of all, Kaepernick has not said publicly that he will stand for the anthem. Second: if he does stand, he may just have decided he is tired of people misinterpreting the intent behind his kneeling. Remember, the first time he protested, he sat on the 49ers’ bench. When he was told that seemed contemptuous, he started kneeling.

colin-kaepernick-takes-knee-650-433.jpg
Photo: 

The Star-Spangled Banner (and the star-spangled banner) evokes visceral reactions. And when a fellow American declines to stand for it, that evokes other visceral reactions. Harbaugh may be Kaepernick’s biggest advocate in football, but he bristled when the anthem protest began.

“I was like anybody: I didn’t really like this,” Harbaugh says. “I wish he had chosen a different way to do this, a different action.”

When a reporter asked Harbaugh about Kaepernick’s protest, Harbaugh said, “I don’t respect the motivation or the action.” He quickly regretted his choice of words, and he clarified that he respected the motivation, not the action. But he still didn’t approve. Harbaugh is a stand-for-the-anthem kind of man.

But then Harbaugh did what too many have not done: he thought hard about it. He had no choice. Some of his Michigan players supported Kaepernick and raised their fists during the anthem.

“It wasn’t a distraction because we were listening to what they were saying,” Harbaugh says. “And they had a valid point. And they continue to have a valid point.”

For a moment, try doing what Harbaugh did last fall: Listen.

“The issue is, the more money you have, the more access you have to justice,” Harbaugh says. “The less money you have, the less access you have to justice.”

Harbaugh has seen this himself, through his work on the Legal Services Corporation, which funds civil legal services for poor Americans.

“Somebody is trying to make a foreclosure on you, an unlawful foreclosure,” Harbaugh says. “You don’t know where to go. You don’t have legal representation. Do you even know how to access the form to make a grievance? … [or] if you are a woman who is being battered and abused: in some courts, you have to pay $500 to get a divorce. Maybe you don’t have $500. How do you get a restraining order against somebody who is doing you bodily harm, without representation? It’s hard to know where to start to do that. If you don’t know how to do it or you’re not successful or you don’t have the means, then the person finds out, it can be life-threatening. That’s what civil legal representation can provide. Somebody who has money has access.”

Not surprisingly, Harbaugh has ideas of how to address the problem. Among them: Harbaugh thinks the government should employ paralegals to work in post offices, to help low-income Americans navigate the legal system. But the point is not that there are easy solutions. It’s that, if you step away from simplistic online screaming matches (“Cops are abusive racists!” “No, they’re not!”) you see a complex, systemic problem.

And this is what Kaepernick is trying to address. You can reasonably disagree with his actions: the anthem protest, the socks that depicted police as pigs, his choice not to vote in the presidential election. But there is common ground if we look for it. He is not against cops; as he has written on Instagram, he is against “rogue cops.” He did not give money to Meals on Wheels as a “political stunt,” as Sarah Palin recently suggested; he donates to numerous charities, and really: are we criticizing somebody for donating to Meals on Wheels? He is not against America; he is for a better America.

Listen to Harbaugh talk about the unrest in Ferguson, Mo., after Michael Brown was killed: “Now that they’ve had a chance to reflect on Ferguson, one of the real culprits were the fines and fees they were putting on low-income Americans, [that] 48 states have been implementing on all of us, all Americans. For Colin, and what Colin’s doing and has been doing, when you really stop and listen and know where Colin is coming from … he’s trying to do this for his future kids, for my kids, for all of our kids. He’s a special person and a hero, in my opinion.”

colin-kaepernick-jim-harbaugh-650-433.jp
Photo: 

2157889318001_5359170124001_535915261100

The issue with Colin Kaepernick

The MMQB's Andy Benoit takes a look at the on-field problem facing free agent QB Colin Kaepernick. 

The math seems clear: If Kaepernick is one of the 64 best quarterbacks in the world, somebody should have signed him by now. And since they haven’t, many people assume his protests are the reason. Some people think this is just. Others, an outrage.

But Kaepernick’s unemployment, like his political stance, is not that simple. Those 64 jobs are not all equal. Let’s assume at least 20 teams are set at starting quarterback. (One could argue that the number is as high as 25, but let’s stick with the lower estimate.) And let’s assume that Kaepernick wants a chance to compete for a starting job. That eliminates 40 of the 64 jobs right away, because 20 teams won’t sign him as a starter, and he won’t sign as a sure backup.

So now there are 24 jobs available, not 64. Some of those remaining 12 teams hope to nab their quarterback of the future in the draft. Some may not have been impressed by how Kaepernick played last year. Some may have been impressed but don’t think Kaepernick fits their system. Some may not have the money left to sign him. And yes: some may be shying away because of the protests.

• ANDY BENOIT: Kaepernick and RG3, Is There Anything Left?

Kelly says, “There are 32 individual groups that make decisions on what is best. If you’re not part of those 32 teams, it’s very difficult to know what is going on.” Harbaugh thinks Kaepernick will be signed soon after the draft, when teams have a better sense of what their rosters look like.

If you think your favorite team should not sign a player who protested during the anthem, some bad news for you: it probably will. After Kaepernick started protesting, other NFL players joined him. So did plenty of college players around the country. Some of those collegians will be drafted this spring. You just don’t hear their names in the news cycle.

“He is singled out because he was first,” Harbaugh says. “He is going to be the one that people hold a grudge against.”

This is a choice Kaepernick made, whether he realized it or not. Colin Kaepernick will be a controversial topic in America this fall, and perhaps for the rest of his life. A smart NFL team will distinguish between the conversation topic and the man.

No thanks. The last place a unpatriotic scumbag should be in in NY/NJ

How does not standing for the flag not make you patriotic, tell me everyone saying this have you served in the Armed Forces I am not saying that makes you a patriot but what have done that separates you or gives you the right to say these things about someone you do not personally know?

So he sat for something he believed him, he is concerned and working on social issues big fing deal that should not make a difference he is just a bad a qb who peaked and has been on a downward spiral ever since

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

I don't even think it's a matter of politics, I think it's a matter of not creating controversy.  After Jordan and Jeter, I think the best super athlete to control the media has been Lebron, and he went with the "All Lives Matter" approach, and stood up for anthem.  He's the ideal version.  Melo spoke about supporting BLM, yet people would still want him (maybe not Knicks fans, but that's more on-court issues than off-court), he's the version that Kapernick should have picked.  

The fault for him was that, he went over-board for attention, and wanted to do something that would get him noticed.  And he certainly got attention, but it also has consequences and he faces it right now.  He's made enough money in his career, and his net worth is somewhere around 22 million now, that he doesn't have to work another day in his life.  However, history has shown that a lot of high profile players tend to go broke soon after retiring, so we will see.  

He didn't go overboard for attention. The Niners were going to release him prior to last season. They didn't want to pay a back-up all that money he was due. When he started his "protest" it made it impossible to do this. His whole protest was done because he saw the writing on the wall and didn't want to lose that cash. His whole "protest" was motivated by money. This is proven by the fact that after he foolishly opted out of his deal and no offers came in he announced his protest was over. He abandoned his "protest" to try and get another deal. How's that going for you Colin? Although I disagree with his means of protest I would have a scintilla of respect for him if he stuck to his guns rather than sellout to try and get a payday. Guys a poser plain and simple. That's why he is not signed.

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

I agree with this...generally, the problem is, the NFL is an entertainment venue that is all about promoting views. For 10 years the NFL had "Pink October" cancer awareness month. Every game now going on about 16 years has some form of military awareness. The NFL has LGBT awareness, etc. The NFL takes cash from companies/people looking to promote products or views to us while we are being entertained, and the NFL actually utilizes a method called "commercial breaks" in order to execute this type of promotion.

The only difference is that these have not been demonized and are accepted by the entertaining audience as part of their consumption of entertainment. Kaep's views were felt by other's within the league from coaches on down, and those people took action to show their support on the view as well. Other's have publicly said that they may not have agreed with his method but definitely support his message. The only problem I have is how the message has been misconstrued. 

I've seen many people say that people have died for him to be able to have the freedom to have a point of view, actually he was born unique and no one died for him to have a point of view, he was born with his own mind and own thoughts unique to him. That's not a gift given to him from any other human being, that one is God-given. We need to get off that high horse generally speaking. People have their own views, and the NFL is most definitely in the business of promoting views. They've done it for as long as I've been alive to watch the NFL promote it. 

I think it's safe to say that every single person on this planet has their own opinions/views that are unique to them, however, given the country they live in, they may or may not be able to express them. But then again, what is the difference when you can no longer find a job in the entertainment business in a country that prides itself on such freedom? When you may not be physically silenced but instead blackballed?  He hasnt hurt a soul. Matter of fact, he only spoke on behalf of his people, many of which are not privy to such a platform. That's the duty of any person in support of their group that has such a platform. Ironically, many people figured that this was wrong simply because he's rich," so how could he ever know about the struggle"? Even more ironic, that question is usually posed from people neither rich nor of his group.  What's funny is that any person of any other group generally wouldnt have that question even posed to them. Robert Kraft practically runs the NFL, he's a Billionaire, in comparison makes Kaepernick look rather poor. Kraft decided to promote his view on behalf of his people and before a game and had a moment of silence for a Jewish person killed overseas. He didnt just stay silent and off to the side privately while the others continued with their entertainment, he used his business position/platform, the NFL and his stadium to put forth that moment of silence for a fellow Jewish person and to bring to light jewish issues. You know what the guests at the stadium did? They shut their mouths and gave that moment of silence out of respect for the social injustice, not just that specific incident but the social injustices that jewish people in powerful positions make sure to voice, even if their job is in the entertainment business. Whether people agreed or not wasnt the point, the fact that this was something that was "bigger than entertainment" required that level of respect. 

Nothing Colin Kaepernick did here is new to the NFL. His point of view is simply closer to home, and in situations like that people usually dont want their entertainment interrupted. Well, thats cool, but if society decides that Sunday football is off limits, yet wont deal with the situation Monday through Saturday, whats going to happen is that players will begin using their entertainment platform to bring to light their views, because after all its just entertainment. The sh*t aint important. 

An owner that has Woody's political beliefs, Kraft for that matter to, and there is probably several other owners, who just aren't going to have him as the face of the franchise.  Just as it's Kaepernick's right to kneel, it's Woody's and Kraft's right not to have him represent their team.  Make no mistake about it, Kaepernick would get A LOT of media attention if he came to the Jets.  Probably would even get a round table on MSNBC :)

The really interesting thing is, just as there are conservative owners in the NFL, I'm sure there are an equal number of liberal owners.  It's interesting that none of them have thrown in their support for him by signing him.    That tells me one thing.  He just isn't worth the major distraction he would bring.  It's not a "black ball" situation, it's just that business comes first.  As it should

Never gonna happen. America hasn't matured enough as a nation to accept peaceful protest. The majority of the country leans conservative, and with the exception of the NBA, sports fans undoubtedly lean conservative. The league is 70% black, and given the inequalities that exist in society, you can't expect players to keep it all to themselves. They are citizens too, like the rest of us.

Never say never, but Kaepernick's career is practically over. I don't think he cares though, he was well aware of the consequences.

Although i didn't think much of him as a player, even when he was leading the 49ers to the Superbowl.

28 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Never gonna happen. America hasn't matured enough as a nation to accept peaceful protest. The majority of the country leans conservative, and with the exception of the NBA, sports fans undoubtedly lean conservative. The league is 70% black, and given the inequalities that exist in society, you can't expect players to keep it all to themselves. They are citizens too, like the rest of us.

Never say never, but Kaepernick's career is practically over. I don't think he cares though, he was well aware of the consequences.

Although i didn't think much of him as a player, even when he was leading the 49ers to the Superbowl.

This. 

8 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

1 He hates america and disrespected out troops, **** him

2 he sucks

3 seriously though he is an idiot

4 living in CA I can tell you the truth about Kaep no wants him

5 **** him and his stupid ass

He's not the future and we learned from the Tim Tebow experience.

I dont buy the he hates America stuff and he never said anything about the troops. 

Even though I don't agree with him I think alot of things are being blown out of proportion. 

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

If the Jets signed this guy it would make things super easy for me. I would be done with them as a fan. Forever. I would encourage my kids to root for other teams, or not bother. 

I checked out when we signed Mike Vick, but not permanently. I think Sheldon Richardson is a scumbag moron. But as a Firefighter, veteran, and son (and Grandson) of Police Officers, if the Jets signed this ****tard, I would walk away and send all of my hats, jerseys, and other memorabilia to Florham Park with a hearty letter expressing my heartfelt sentiments of "**** you".

This sh*t? No.colin-kaepernick-takes-knee-650-433.jpg

Every game I have ever been to I have seen people fail to remove their hats, continue to play with their phones and continue their conversations.  

Political protest is as American as it gets.  He got attention for his cause and put some money where his mouth was.  That's much better than a scumbag like Richardson.

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Josh McClown got an $8 million contract before Kaepernick.  McClown has never had success in the nfl on any level.  Kaepernick has been to a Super Bowl and multiple NFCG's

And I'm not even a Kaepernick fan but clearly the guy has been blackballed by the NFL.  I don't necessarily disagree with it but that's the truth.

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Blacklisted. 

No NFL team will ever hire him.  He is being made an example of so that his behavior never again repeats itself in the form of another NFL player with a racist agenda.

SAR I

Kaepernick made the same mistake Tim Tebow made.  He was more interested in being a political activist than being a football player.  The NFL is a business and a majority of the fans as well as almost 100% of the owners are right-wing conservative.  The NFL is a business and it will cater to the fans and the owners will do what they want.

11 minutes ago, thadude said:

Josh McClown got an $8 million contract before Kaepernick.  McClown has never had success in the nfl on any level.  Kaepernick has been to a Super Bowl and multiple NFCG's

And I'm not even a Kaepernick fan but clearly the guy has been blackballed by the NFL.  I don't necessarily disagree with it but that's the truth.

Nope.

Nobody sat around a table and said "Kaepernick won't play in the NFL this year"

Teams just made individual  business decisions on who they wanted to be the face of their franchise. So far, Nobody wants Kaepernick for that job.   He's just not good enough.  With that said, I think before the season starts ,  somebody will sign him.  Not as a starter though.  He's just not worth the baggage.  

4 minutes ago, adb280z said:

Every game I have ever been to I have seen people fail to remove their hats, continue to play with their phones and continue their conversations.  

Political protest is as American as it gets.  He got attention for his cause and put some money where his mouth was.  That's much better than a scumbag like Richardson.

Political protest is embraced but Black Lives Matter is a completely different story.

That was a completely racist and disgusting excuse for attention that never should have seen the light of day on our evening news let alone be showcased at the start of NFL games.  Hoodlums resisting arrest, high on drugs, ex-convicts with illegal weapons selling or possessing drugs, practically every example they brought to light of an 'innocent' black child being shot by a white police officer turned out to be justified and proper use of force because the person in question was no child, he had a record, and he was resisting arrest. 

It wasn't Kaepernick protesting an injustice; it was Kaepernick foolishly making himself the figurehead of a phony racist movement which caused social breakdowns, helped looters get free TV's, got officers killed and which has completely fallen off the face of the Earth once it was exposed as such. 

SAR I

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Nobody sat around a table and said "Kaepernick won't play in the NFL this year"

Irrelevant.

Do you really think Josh friggin McCown is that much better a qb that he should have an $8 million contract and Kaepernick is unemployed?  And I think Kaepernick sucks and thought it was dumb how he went with expressing his opinions it's totally disingenous to say Kaepernick hasn't been blackballed by the NFL.  Geno Smith is even on an NFL roster.

2 minutes ago, thadude said:

Irrelevant.

Do you really think Josh friggin McCown is that much better a qb that he should have an $8 million contract and Kaepernick is unemployed?  And I think Kaepernick sucks and thought it was dumb how he went with expressing his opinions it's totally disingenous to say Kaepernick hasn't been blackballed by the NFL.  Geno Smith is even on an NFL roster.

Yes

Kaepernick is bad for business.  These are $1,000,000,000 investments.  If Kaepernick was good, He's be signed 

9 minutes ago, flgreen said:

If Kaepernick was good, He's be signed 

Nope.

There is only one thing that can unite all owners behind a common cause and supersede the quest for a championship and that is the loss of revenue brought on by a sea change of public perception of the NFL as a sport and as a brand and Colin Kaepernick's actions did just that.  The owners are sending a clear message to all current and future NFL players by blacklisting him.  You'll never see a player attempt to bring politics or race into the sport like that ever again.

SAR I

18 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Yes

Kaepernick is bad for business.  These are $1,000,000,000 investments.  If Kaepernick was good, He's be signed 

Then we actually agree.  The primary reason Kaepernick isn't signed isn't football related.

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Nope.

There is only one thing that can unite all owners behind a common cause and supersede the quest for a championship and that is the loss of revenue brought on by a sea change of public perception of the NFL as a sport and as a brand and Colin Kaepernick's actions did just that.  The owners are sending a clear message to all current and future NFL players by blacklisting him.  You'll never see a player attempt to bring politics or race into the sport like that ever again.

SAR I

The owners aren't touching Kaep for the same reason they aren't touching Tim Tebow.  Why bother with all that trouble for a JAG?

2 minutes ago, thadude said:

Then we actually agree.  The primary reason Kaepernick isn't signed isn't football related.

LOL

We do agree.  The point I'm arguing is there wasn't a "black ball".  Kaepernick is just bad business

Archived