Kapernick - why the hell not?

PavlovsDogs

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Maybe the well being of his people is more important to him than being a qb, making millions, his public reputation and being quiet when what a flag stands for seems to fall short when it comes to his people. 

That's actually commendable and is praiseworthy given that ultimately money and popularity is not more important than his people. Muhammad Ali was considered an idiot in his day as well when he was stripped of his accolades, reputation and prime boxing years given a similar, yet more public stance.

I guarantee that if anyone would have asked him before he died was it worth it his answer would be "without a doubt". Yet 50 years later this stance is still looked at in such a ridiculous asinine light, that exposing when what your country stands for doesn't apply to you and yours you suddenly hate your country. Same thing was said about Ali from the mid 60's to early 70's. However as people mentally matured they realized that all Ali tried to do was make the thought of the flag and the reality of things the same. 

Anyone who's mature enough can clearly see that what Kaep was doing was not just similar, but by the very definition he did EXACTLY what the "pledge of allegiance to the United States" says to do when you make that pledge to the flag. By that fact, he's not being just a great citizen but doing something more than just for himself (putting at risk personal gain) but for the well being of his people and fellow country men. That's the definition of being an American isnt it? If Americans are more concerned about the sport than the well being of fellow Americans then how "American" are they really? Seems like they're more concerned about well-being of the sport than they are their own country men. If I sit a watch a man put everything of that stature at risk for a message, Im going to atleast listen to him and not immediately place him in the "he hates his country and troops" category for the sake of being dismissive. That's not what fellow Americans do, or should I say, that's not what we "stand for". right? (since we're talking about people taking "a knee").

It takes a huge set of onions to do that when understanding the world you live in. And yet, that's more important than guaranteeing yourself employment in the NFL if that's what it comes down to. 

If he never gets a job in the NFL again, that's basically putting what he did in the same category as not ever giving Ray Rice a job or Aaron Hernandez a job again given what they did. 

Are these situations really equivalent? 

Remind me about the time Cassius wore "Pig" socks as a statement?  LOL.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

100% agree. This is America, not a dictatorship or banana republic. 

What you seem to be ignoring is that the same America that gave Kap millions for playing a game and the stage to do what he did, is the exact same America that gives his critics the right to be critical of him for doing it.

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Maybe the well being of his people is more important to him than being a qb, making millions, his public reputation and being quiet when what a flag stands for seems to fall short when it comes to his people. 

That's actually commendable and is praiseworthy given that ultimately money and popularity is not more important than his people. Muhammad Ali was considered an idiot in his day as well when he was stripped of his accolades, reputation and prime boxing years given a similar, yet more public stance.

I guarantee that if anyone would have asked him before he died was it worth it his answer would be "without a doubt". Yet 50 years later this stance is still looked at in such a ridiculous asinine light, that exposing when what your country stands for doesn't apply to you and yours you suddenly hate your country. Same thing was said about Ali from the mid 60's to early 70's. However as people mentally matured they realized that all Ali tried to do was make the thought of the flag and the reality of things the same. 

Anyone who's mature enough can clearly see that what Kaep was doing was not just similar, but by the very definition he did EXACTLY what the "pledge of allegiance to the United States" says to do when you make that pledge to the flag. By that fact, he's not being just a great citizen but doing something more than just for himself (putting at risk personal gain) but for the well being of his people and fellow country men. That's the definition of being an American isnt it? If Americans are more concerned about the sport than the well being of fellow Americans then how "American" are they really? Seems like they're more concerned about well-being of the sport than they are their own country men. If I sit a watch a man put everything of that stature at risk for a message, Im going to atleast listen to him and not immediately place him in the "he hates his country and troops" category for the sake of being dismissive. That's not what fellow Americans do, or should I say, that's not what we "stand for". right? (since we're talking about people taking "a knee").

It takes a huge set of onions to do that when understanding the world you live in. And yet, that's more important than guaranteeing yourself employment in the NFL if that's what it comes down to. 

If he never gets a job in the NFL again, that's basically putting what he did in the same category as not ever giving Ray Rice a job or Aaron Hernandez a job again given what they did. 

I love you as a poster. and you make a bunch of good points here, but you lost me with that phrase.  White, Black, Purple, Green, we are all Americans, and should be proud of it.

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

You'd have a point if Kaep was for real but he's not. He's a fraud.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

What you seem to be ignoring is that the same America that gave Kap millions for playing a game and the stage to do what he did, is the exact same America that gives his critics the right to be critical of him for doing it.

That is not true. I have several times at least posted about the freedoms that Americans have. He is responsible for his own actions, his own truth and the consequences of that same truth.

Kap is a very intelligent man. I am sure he will figure things out

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Remind me about the time Cassius wore "Pig" socks as a statement?  LOL.

So, it was indeed his socks that ultimately drew the line for you when his socks mocked the profession of those  who claim to protect but instead show lack thereof, enough to generalize when dealing with the people he chose to defend? The socks is what made the point irrelevant? lol. 

And anyone who knows the history of Ali knows that he's said more things that ruffled more feathers in 1960's America than Kaepernick's socks have in 2016/17. The only difference is that the public today are so docile and overly programmed to the point that socks can offend and hurt feelings, but the actions of those same public forces being negatively represented on those socks can do virtually anything to anyone of this social class and will be granted absolutely every benefit of the doubt possible and most of the time given paid leave as a punishment.  That's probably why he wore the socks. 

Google or youtube Ali and you'll see the things that he's said in the heat of the moment in defense of himself, his people, and his freedom to live. People talk about Kaep hating troops/America when he never once said that, yet when Ali was there he was fighting against hate that was more in your face, in the public eye and much clearer when it came to the hate towards his people. Today however, its much more covert, clever, indirect and protected behind legal jargon, philosophies and PC...to the point that any and all valid arguments can be dismissed with distasteful socks. 

2 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Exactly, comparing the two is flat out wrong. 

Really? The socks did that? lol. 

Im going to start recommending my people get passports, because sometimes its better not to fight this level of crazy. lol. If socks can dismiss his point and people are so appalled over it, then It's time to seriously acknowledge and accept what your worth truly is where you reside. 

2 hours ago, section314 said:

I love you as a poster. and you make a bunch of good points here, but you lost me with that phrase.  White, Black, Purple, Green, we are all Americans, and should be proud of it.

I appreciate that 314. 

However, I cant pretend like people dont have lineage, background and history. That is to play a fools game. Irish Americans for example know their Irish roots or can atleast look it up and establish respect and honor their history. Jewish people do it. They'll let you know the difference between a Jew and a goy, no matter American or not. All you have to do is ask them or any other self-respecting group that holds on to their social values in the same country that you live in. And they'll let you know that there is a difference given the lineage, background and history. Every group respects their culture given their culture is there. My people are busy trying to fit in to the narrative you stated about because of how our history/name was destroyed and replaced with "black". Thats a different topic though. 

Sure, we are all Americans, given that we were born here, but if that was "only" what we were then the need for black/white/purple/green would indeed be irrelevant. However, that's not the case given that we're not originally from this land. And it's not just race, this is a social and systemic construct. I live in Germany now, you know why Germans dont have a black/white/purple/green problem amongst Germans? Because Germans are indeed Germans. They're not american-germans, Irish-Germans, black-germans etc. Germany isnt a "melting pot" of immigrants from all around the world. This is why when something happens to a German, Germans listen because they understand that there's no difference in that regard. In America, something happens to an American, if Americans arent part of that social group then for the most part it's ignored given that its viewed as having no benefit/consequence to their self-interest. Im just dealing with reality here. My group has been told by other groups that things are equal, and civil rights and all this other stuff. Im not looking at what is said, im looking at actions and results. 

However, I will like to keep this about Kaep and the situation given that I dont want this to turn racial/political and ultimately getting the thread locked. 

35 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

So, it was indeed his socks that ultimately drew the line for you when his socks mocked the profession of those  who claim to protect but instead show lack thereof, enough to generalize when dealing with the people he chose to defend? The socks is what made the point irrelevant? lol. 

And anyone who knows the history of Ali knows that he's said more things that ruffled more feathers in 1960's America than Kaepernick's socks have in 2016/17. The only difference is that the public today are so docile and overly programmed to the point that socks can offend and hurt feelings, but the actions of those same public forces being negatively represented on those socks can do virtually anything to anyone of this social class and will be granted absolutely every benefit of the doubt possible and most of the time given paid leave as a punishment.  That's probably why he wore the socks. 

Google or youtube Ali and you'll see the things that he's said in the heat of the moment in defense of himself, his people, and his freedom to live. People talk about Kaep hating troops/America when he never once said that, yet when Ali was there he was fighting against hate that was more in your face, in the public eye and much clearer when it came to the hate towards his people. Today however, its much more covert, clever, indirect and protected behind legal jargon, philosophies and PC...to the point that any and all valid arguments can be dismissed with distasteful socks. 

Really? The socks did that? lol. 

Im going to start recommending my people get passports, because sometimes its better not to fight this level of crazy. lol. If socks can dismiss his point and people are so appalled over it, then It's time to seriously acknowledge and accept what your worth truly is where you reside. 

Not really sure what your talking about, You made an idiotic comparison between Ali and Kaep. Ali put his money, and his freedom where his mouth was. Kaep is a fraud, who is easily influenced by idiots. 

I'm not in favor of Kaep becoming a Jet I'm in favor of the Jets getting a decent QB who can lead us to  the Super Bowl. 

Who really cares what the media thinks anyway everyone on this board bashes the media especially the douches who write about the Jets. 

24 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Not really sure what your talking about, You made an idiotic comparison between Ali and Kaep. Ali put his money, and his freedom where his mouth was. Kaep is a fraud, who is easily influenced by idiots. 

Fraud?....lol. http://kaepernick7.com/million-dollar-pledge/ 

But lets not kid ourselves, this fact ^^^^ changes nothing! lol. 

And as for Kaep's freedom, could you imagine if Kaep for whatever reason was drafted and he said "no"? This dude's words have already been misconstrued to mean that he hates troops and America, you think this guy refusing to be drafted will go well? No, it'll go the same way as Ali during the time that Ali did it. Stuff like this isnt accepted until decades after the fact when there's no consequence for siding with such a position. 

Speaking of positions, This overall position by society has never been surprising. Though I commend what guys like Kaep and Ali have attempted to do, the reality is, I have a "thing" for history outside of the organized crap taught in school. I also know the only thing that could be considered idiotic at best is to expect change when the current situation works for the social construct. I just like to speak on the topic to be honest, but I know stuff like this wont change. I know better. 

On 5/12/2017 at 9:31 AM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

1 He hates america and disrespected out troops, **** him

2 he sucks

3 seriously though he is an idiot

4 living in CA I can tell you the truth about Kaep no wants him

5 **** him and his stupid ass

The idea that someone who starts a silent, non-violent protest about a real issue hates America is just simple, dumb-guy Fox News watcher thinking. "I don't like what he's doing on football Sundays! He hates America then!"

He was upset about police brutality against blacks. Look it up. A 15 year old kid in Texas was shot in the forehead leaving a party for no apparent reason. Look up dozens of other cases like this. I love cops. I love our troops. There are still bad apples in those large groups of people.

I personally didn't care for his protest at first. But the more I look at it, it's a guy using his platform for good. Not sure it worked, but I think he did it because he loves, not hates America.

23 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Fraud?....lol. http://kaepernick7.com/million-dollar-pledge/ 

But lets not kid ourselves, this fact ^^^^ changes nothing! lol. 

And as for Kaep's freedom, could you imagine if Kaep for whatever reason was drafted and he said "no"? This dude's words have already been misconstrued to mean that he hates troops and America, you think this guy refusing to be drafted will go well? No, it'll go the same way as Ali during the time that Ali did it. Stuff like this isnt accepted until decades after the fact when there's no consequence for siding with such a position. 

Speaking of positions, This overall position by society has never been surprising. Though I commend what guys like Kaep and Ali have attempted to do, the reality is, I have a "thing" for history outside of the organized crap taught in school. I also know the only thing that could be considered idiotic at best is to expect change when the current situation works for the social construct. I just like to speak on the topic to be honest, but I know stuff like this wont change. I know better. 

Ultimate Fraud:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/02/colin-kaepernick-plans-to-stand-for-the-national-anthem/

Ali was a true American, and a great man, you disgrace his legacy with Kaep comparisons.

2 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

The idea that someone who starts a silent, non-violent protest about a real issue hates America is just simple, dumb-guy Fox News watcher thinking. "I don't like what he's doing on football Sundays! He hates America then!"

He was upset about police brutality against blacks. Look it up. A 15 year old kid in Texas was shot in the forehead leaving a party for no apparent reason. Look up dozens of other cases like this. I love cops. I love our troops. There are still bad apples in those large groups of people.

I personally didn't care for his protest at first. But the more I look at it, it's a guy using his platform for good. Not sure it worked, but I think he did it because he loves, not hates America.

If you think about it, issues related to minority empowerment necessitate some increase in social welfare.

Social welfare is EXTREMELY unAmerican. There is no place for it in a capitalist, 'individualistic', society like ours. Social welfare, from an American point of view, is basically communism.

Forget about race relations, we have millions arguing that 'not getting sick' is a substitute for health insurance. It's just how the country works by design. Nobody acknowledges inequality because to them, it simply doesn't exist.

5 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

I love cops. I love our troops. There are still bad apples in those large groups of people.

This is my problem with what he did with the socks. He lumped all cops together. The overwhelming majority of cops are great people, who put their lives on the line every day for our safety. Just like ANY OTHER group of people, professionals, race, religion, you name it, there will be bad apples. If we are to be a progressive society, and stop lumping people together, or charging all people in a group for the sins of few in the group, that should be universal, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, or profession. Its time for the BS hypocrisy to stop in this country. Kaep is a huge part of that hypocricy.

7 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Villain I know exactly what you are talking about ....We should always question, its our right as so called free american citizens and its our duty as well. But when you do question it needs to be in the proper forum and it must not ever insult what this country stands for because you have to take into account everything you could possibly effect and Keap did not do that and its possible he offended people he never meant to offend. In the end the only one who suffers from that is him and if he truly believes in what he said he should have no complaint's and live with his actions. When it comes to Muhammad Ali or Colin Kaepernick the comparison is not remotely close IMHO.

I can talk for hours on this subject and go round and round in so many different ways  I just don't feel like typing it all out here now.

14 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Ultimate Fraud:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/02/colin-kaepernick-plans-to-stand-for-the-national-anthem/

Ali was a true American, and a great man, you disgrace his legacy with Kaep comparisons.

Wait, so you mean to tell me that he's a Fraud because he believes that there's been a positive change in America and he doesnt want to detract from that so he'll be ending his protest? 

So a person is considered a fraud now because they protest, they get results that they are satisfied with and then decides that the positive change based on the protest warrants the conclusion of the protest? 

You're hilarious. Let me post what you just linked. 

Also, you call him "fraud" as if you supported the kneel in the first place. This is a poor attempt once again to ignore what he was actually kneeling over. That fact alone is why I know that ultimately nothing changes, because people refuse to deal with the situation and like to overly sensationalize stupidity such as this fraud position. 

You said he was a fraud because he didnt put his money/freedom where he mouth was. Well, he wasnt in a position to put his freedom on the line but he's been in a position to put his money on the line and he's sure as hell did that with #1. risking his career for the sake of protest and #2. Continuing his 1 million dollar pledge to situations directly associated with the topic/issue he was bringing to light. 

Then you decide not to deal with that and then call him a fraud because he decided to end his protest, though in the very link you present it states why he ended his protest. 

And yet and still, not one person wants to talk about what Colin Kaepernick was bringing to light...givent that this escapade over Kaep, the man, is only an effort to ignore the subject. And it's totally worked! lol. I mean, it's worked so well that people call his human rights concerns "political views". How disrespectful is that? lol. 

Colin Kaepernick plans to stand for the national anthem

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 2, 2017, 11:39 AM EDT
623052566-e1481195164398.jpg?w=221Getty Images

After starting a national dialogue by refusing to stand during the national anthem last year, Colin Kaepernick plans to stand for the anthem this year.

Kaepernick believes there has been positive change in America and doesn’t want to detract from that, so he’ll no longer kneel during “The Star-Spangled Banner” in 2017, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

It’s hard not to be cynical and believe that Kaepernick is heading into free agency wanting to maximize his value and doesn’t want teams planning to bid on his services to view him as a distraction. Kneeling during the anthem wouldn’t preclude teams from signing him — plenty of other players refused to stand for the anthem last season and their teams were OK with it — but it could cause him to be viewed as a player who wouldn’t make a great face of a franchise.

By pledging to stand, Kaepernick can remove any doubts his stance caused. Now the question is whether any team thinks Kaepernick is a good enough passer to lead a team.

So if Kaepernick said he was kneeling to honor the armed forces and law enforcement would there have been an issue? I thinks not. You guys problem isn't with the act of kneeling but more so for his reasons for kneeling. 

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Wait, so you mean to tell me that he's a Fraud because he believes that there's been a positive change in America and he doesnt want to detract from that so he'll be ending his protest? 

So a person is considered a fraud now because they protest, they get results that they are satisfied with and then decides that the positive change based on the protest warrants the conclusion of the protest? 

You're hilarious. Let me post what you just linked. 

Also, you call him "fraud" as if you supported the kneel in the first place. This is a poor attempt once again to ignore what he was actually kneeling over. That fact alone is why I know that ultimately nothing changes, because people refuse to deal with the situation and like to overly sensationalize stupidity such as this fraud position. 

You said he was a fraud because he didnt put his money/freedom where he mouth was. Well, he wasnt in a position to put his freedom on the line but he's been in a position to put his money on the line and he's sure as hell did that with #1. risking his career for the sake of protest and #2. Continuing his 1 million dollar pledge to situations directly associated with the topic/issue he was bringing to light. 

Then you decide not to deal with that and then call him a fraud because he decided to end his protest, though in the very link you present it states why he ended his protest. 

And yet and still, not one person wants to talk about what Colin Kaepernick was bringing to light...givent that this escapade over Kaep, the man, is only an effort to ignore the subject. And it's totally worked! lol. I mean, it's worked so well that people call his human rights concerns "political views". How disrespectful is that? lol. 

Colin Kaepernick plans to stand for the national anthem

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 2, 2017, 11:39 AM EDT
623052566-e1481195164398.jpg?w=221Getty Images

After starting a national dialogue by refusing to stand during the national anthem last year, Colin Kaepernick plans to stand for the anthem this year.

Kaepernick believes there has been positive change in America and doesn’t want to detract from that, so he’ll no longer kneel during “The Star-Spangled Banner” in 2017, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

It’s hard not to be cynical and believe that Kaepernick is heading into free agency wanting to maximize his value and doesn’t want teams planning to bid on his services to view him as a distraction. Kneeling during the anthem wouldn’t preclude teams from signing him — plenty of other players refused to stand for the anthem last season and their teams were OK with it — but it could cause him to be viewed as a player who wouldn’t make a great face of a franchise.

By pledging to stand, Kaepernick can remove any doubts his stance caused. Now the question is whether any team thinks Kaepernick is a good enough passer to lead a team.

Your not going to see the reality, no matter what I say, so I am done debating with you. You win, Colin Kaepernick is actually a great American, and did great things at the expense of our entertainment, and he is responsible for "positive changes" in society. He really is a modern day Ali......

16 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

If you think about it, issues related to minority empowerment necessitate some increase in social welfare.

Social welfare is EXTREMELY unAmerican. There is no place for it in a capitalist, 'individualistic', society like ours. Social welfare, from an American point of view, is basically communism.

Forget about race relations, we have millions arguing that 'not getting sick' is a substitute for health insurance. It's just how the country works by design. Nobody acknowledges inequality because to them, it simply doesn't exist.

Welfare is control. 

I know because I grew up in a society where welfare is prevalent. I see the destruction it causes. 

Just now, NoBowles said:

Your not going to see the reality, no matter what I say, so I am done debating with you. You win, Colin Kaepernick is actually a great American, and did great things at the expense of our entertainment, and he is responsible for "positive changes" in society. He really is a modern day Ali......

lol The wildest sh*t ever. 

3 minutes ago, August said:

So if Kaepernick said he was kneeling to honor the armed forces and law enforcement would there have been an issue? I thinks not. You guys problem isn't with the act of kneeling but more so for his reasons for kneeling. 

Did you read what you just wrote? I mean, come on? Kneeling for the national anthem in order to honor armed forces and law enforcement? Are you for real with this?

4 minutes ago, August said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And this is why the messenger is being attacked and the message being ignored. 

5 minutes ago, August said:

reece.JPG

6 minutes ago, August said:

So if Kaepernick said he was kneeling to honor the armed forces and law enforcement would there have been an issue? I thinks not. You guys problem isn't with the act of kneeling but more so for his reasons for kneeling

This has been obvious from the get go. And many posters (including certain rich snobs) have even said that while continuing to expose themselves and spewing their bigotry out.

It is what it is though

12 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Did you read what you just wrote? I mean, come on? Kneeling for the national anthem in order to honor armed forces and law enforcement? Are you for real with this?

Don't play dumb. 

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Villain I know exactly what you are talking about ....We should always question, its our right as so called free american citizens and its our duty as well. But when you do question it needs to be in the proper forum and it must not ever insult what this country stands for because you have to take into account everything you could possibly effect and Keap did not do that and its possible he offended people he never meant to offend. In the end the only one who suffers from that is him and if he truly believes in what he said he should have no complaint's and live with his actions. When it comes to Muhammad Ali or Colin Kaepernick the comparison is not remotely close IMHO.

I can talk for hours on this subject and go round and round in so many different ways  I just don't feel like typing it all out here now.

The proper forum based on who's view? 

When you have these same issues throughout the history of this country to varying degrees with the same social group, people get tired of hearing about other people's thoughts on the "proper forum". When's the last time you paid attention to that forum, with the same amount of time as you have with this situation? 

I could pretty much guarantee that more people (though in an effort to criticize Kaep) have spent more time dealing with this situation than they have going to the "proper forum" as it has been put. 

Also, what you think this country stands for is based on your history within this country. Your history/experience is different than others. This is why you can find groups of people who will immediately suggest that police need to get the upmost respect given what they sacrifice to protect us. However, you can have an entirely different group of people that have experienced something completely different than you while at the same time having those who are on the opposite side of such an experience find it unnecessary to entertain "proper forums" given that their experience simply tells them that police are to be given the upmost respect given their sacrifice to protect us, while at the same time ignoring people who are telling you that their experiences are not the same as yours. 

The only time when many of these people take notice is when something interrupts their entertainment. THEN what happens is that people are pissed because their "entertainment" has been interrupted with sh*t that could be dealt with in the proper forum, though lets be honest, who pays attention to those forums? Because if attention was paid, then this would have never gotten to people's form of "entertainment". 

Spare me the bull. 

Archived