Fox vs. Ball

HessStation

1 hour ago, SMC said:

Fultz, Fox, Ball, Smith, then French Kid

Monk is going to be a scoring demon in the NBA

I love Nkitlina's physical intangibles.  He has the body and length of a young Dwayne Wade.  I pray he falls to us 

21 minutes ago, HessStation said:

8th overall...nvm. the Knicks are as big a disaster as The Jets.

I will say fwiw I would have rather Fox and think Ball will eventually implode due to his father within the first couple years in the league. 

Lebron and a couple other guys have already said they will target Ball next year.

Most mock drafts have the Knicks getting Dennis Smith at 8 which is fine but I think Frank Ntikilina has way bigger upside.

6 minutes ago, thadude said:

Lebron and a couple other guys have already said they will target Ball next year.

Most mock drafts have the Knicks getting Dennis Smith at 8 which is fine but I think Frank Ntikilina has way bigger upside.

yeah, I feel bad for Ball bc as a player I freaking love him but I think all the off court stuff is only going to magnify 10x over when he becomes a pro. Wait until a losing record or couple bad playoff loses and the dad's chirping on ESPN...it's going to turn into a colossal cluster**** I would bet money on it. 

I don't mind Smith, if there wouldn't be a bad consolation prize. I agree with you on the french kid. I've been looking too and have seen Monk at 8 as well. For me personally I'm not nearly as big a basketball fan or college basketball fan but I just love Fox's game. I was just going through some post lottery mocks and there is still going to be some talent at PG, or hoping there should be. 

12 hours ago, HessStation said:

yeah, I feel bad for Ball bc as a player I freaking love him but I think all the off court stuff is only going to magnify 10x over when he becomes a pro. Wait until a losing record or couple bad playoff loses and the dad's chirping on ESPN...it's going to turn into a colossal cluster**** I would bet money on it. 

I don't mind Smith, if there wouldn't be a bad consolation prize. I agree with you on the french kid. I've been looking too and have seen Monk at 8 as well. For me personally I'm not nearly as big a basketball fan or college basketball fan but I just love Fox's game. I was just going through some post lottery mocks and there is still going to be some talent at PG, or hoping there should be. 

Luckily this is the deepest draft in years

11 hours ago, HessStation said:

I would actually rather Smith than Ball. So there's that. 

My concern with Smith is lack of wingspan.  He still has a good NBA body and is stronger and more developed than the other top pg's in the draft.  

I think he projects as a Rajon Rondo type which is fine because we need a pg

18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ball's only real weakness is shooting, which he'll develop over time.  He's the clear # 1 choice for Boston, even if Ball desperately wants to stay in LA.  

It would be my issue w Fox too. Shooting. But it sounds like Fox might be the better defender out of the group? 

Dude brought it up and it's a good point. At least 5 really good PG prospects, 6 if you want to count Monk as a PG, so there's that.

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

It would be my issue w Fox too. Shooting. But it sounds like Fox might be the better defender out of the group? 

Dude brought it up and it's a good point. At least 5 really good PG prospects, 6 if you want to count Monk as a PG, so there's that.

Monk is a shooting guard in a point guard's body.  But he is a sick scorer no way he falls to us at 8

15 minutes ago, thadude said:

Monk is a shooting guard in a point guard's body.  But he is a sick scorer no way he falls to us at 8

hmm I don't know. there's actually a lot of talent in this draft at least. This could be one of those drafts where you start to see the next generational shift.

Who are the first 7 gone? 

13 hours ago, HessStation said:

hmm I don't know. there's actually a lot of talent in this draft at least. This could be one of those drafts where you start to see the next generational shift.

It's much needed for anyone who cares about the league.  The worst playoffs in a long, long time for the league.  And even though we had good stories in the regular season, much of it was clouded by all the players sitting and the knowledge that it was futile to expect anything other than Warriors-Cavs in the Finals.

The league needs a lot of elite, young and hungry talent right now. 

On 5/16/2017 at 1:19 PM, thadude said:

Monk is going to be a scoring demon in the NBA

I love Nkitlina's physical intangibles.  He has the body and length of a young Dwayne Wade.  I pray he falls to us 

I'm conflicted on Smith and Ntilikina.  I like Ntilikina for the reasons you mentioned, but Smith is an explosive scorer.  

I'm not high on Monk because of his lack of length (height and arm length).  He doesn't have the handle of a PG so he'll have a difficult time shooting over taller defenders.

This is an NBA exec on Monk as reported in NY Post. He's too short to play SG.  He has to be a PG but he doesn't want to:

“[Monk is] a volume shooter,’’ a Western Conference executive said. “He’s all about cutting and moving. He’s a helluva shooter. … With him, he needs to play point and it’s not a position he wants to play. He’s a talented kid, but a 6-3 two-guard is tiny.’’

http://nypost.com/2017/05/18/kentucky-star-on-knicks-radar-but-can-he-switch-to-point-guard/

On 5/17/2017 at 9:43 PM, HessStation said:

Who are the first 7 gone? 

Fultze, Ball, Fox, Monk, Isaac, Josh Jackson, Tatum

NBA screws us again

On 5/18/2017 at 9:29 PM, SMC said:

This is an NBA exec on Monk as reported in NY Post. He's too short to play SG.  He has to be a PG but he doesn't want to:

http://nypost.com/2017/05/18/kentucky-star-on-knicks-radar-but-can-he-switch-to-point-guard/

Steph Curry was the same thing coming out of college that's how he almost fell to us in the draft I think he was only one spot away from becoming a Knick.

There's no defense in the NBA anymore.  It's all about spacing and pacing that's why James Harden can be dominant if Harden played in the 90's he'd be a good player but not MVP caliber.

On 5/17/2017 at 2:31 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Ball's only real weakness is shooting, which he'll develop over time.  He's the clear # 1 choice for Boston, even if Ball desperately wants to stay in LA.  

Ball shot 55% from the field as a freshman. That's pretty damn good.

On May 20, 2017 at 1:17 PM, HessStation said:

I think I'd rather Dennis Smith than 4 of those players. Honestly this might turn out ok. Ktilakina, to your point, could also be exciting. 

The good thing about Smith is his body looks more NBA ready than even Ball or Fultze  He has flaws in his game like he likes to go left too much but he's only a kid and can learn

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 0:40 PM, thadude said:

Steph Curry was the same thing coming out of college that's how he almost fell to us in the draft I think he was only one spot away from becoming a Knick.

There's no defense in the NBA anymore.  It's all about spacing and pacing that's why James Harden can be dominant if Harden played in the 90's he'd be a good player but not MVP caliber.

But Steph Curry was always a PG.  Monk has never been and doesn't want to be a PG.  He's a shrimp for a SG.  An NBA defender won't need to be elite to stop him because Monk is so short for the position.  He has to be PG at the pro level or he's a bench player.

On 5/26/2017 at 9:55 PM, SMC said:

But Steph Curry was always a PG.  Monk has never been and doesn't want to be a PG.  He's a shrimp for a SG.  An NBA defender won't need to be elite to stop him because Monk is so short for the position.  He has to be PG at the pro level or he's a bench player.

Monk can create his own shot and score from anywhere.  Offensively he will be fine.  Defensively yes he will be a liability but no one plays D today.

1 hour ago, thadude said:

Monk can create his own shot and score from anywhere.  Offensively he will be fine.  Defensively yes he will be a liability but no one plays D today.

...which is partially why I like Fox so much. BTW Ntilikina is "suppose to be" the best defensive player in the whole draft. 

12 hours ago, HessStation said:

...which is partially why I like Fox so much. BTW Ntilikina is "suppose to be" the best defensive player in the whole draft. 

Love his long  wing span and watching his tape from Europe you can tell he enjoys playing D

I know Phil is locked into him after watching how Scottie Pippen and Ron Harper gave teams fits with their defense

13 hours ago, HessStation said:

Ntilikina is 6'6" with a 7 foot wingspan.  It's crazy.  He's not a super athlete like Fultz, Fox and Smith so that's why he's in the 8-12 range.  He can knock down an outside shot, though.

I'll be happy with him at 8.  I don't like Monk for the reasons I've mentioned.  I like Smith but his knee is a big concern.

45 minutes ago, SMC said:

Ntilikina is 6'6" with a 7 foot wingspan.  It's crazy.  He's not a super athlete like Fultz, Fox and Smith so that's why he's in the 8-12 range.  He can knock down an outside shot, though.

I'll be happy with him at 8.  I don't like Monk for the reasons I've mentioned.  I like Smith but his knee is a big concern.

I think I'm right there with you on everything. 

And again, people can say I'm crazy but I really don't want Ball. The whole thing w his father is going to implode on a team. Too much baggage imo.

41 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

https://deanondraft.com/2017/05/30/lonzo-ball-point-god-or-no-points-guard/

The Dad is only a distraction if you let him be one. He's an insanely good prospect.

I think the first question that lead me to post was who is the best and I think it's a legit premise that Ball is the most talented overall, taking ALL metrics into consideration. 

Maybe a better shooter than Fox, more length than Fultz or Smith and Smith's knee being a concern. 

But when you add risk the dad comes into play for me and honestly, I can see the whole thing imploding. Maybe not at first. But whether it takes a losing streak or a first round sweep there's going to be a breaking point with the fans and media. It's not about an individual fan letting him become a distraction. He'll be one (the dad). The media and dad will make sure of that. And he's likely to start on a bad team. Surrounded by pros who aren't going to take well when the dad is talking about them on ESPN or sports shows. or in the local papers. You know this is going to happen. Not a perfect anology but no different to a Sheldon Richardson, who's an All Pro talent. Distractions will get in the way, granted for completely different reasons than with Ball. Maybe Ball can rise above all of it? God bless the kid if he can. I'm not rooting against him. I just think the dad is more likely than not, gonna screw it up.  

There's going to be a weird scenerio at play, whether he's hurt or something and the dad won't let him play a Game 7 and that leads to a war of words through the media or a million other possibilites, but there's gonna be a build up and some kind of eventual breakdown....imo.

1 hour ago, thadude said:

Ball, even with his crazy dad

I'll bet you $50 he or and the team who drafts him implodes and the whole thing is a mess by year 4 and no championships. That after year 4, at least 2 other PGs in this draft will be considered better NBA point guards. Not real money but like pretend money. lol. 

Archived