Jordan Jenkins on people who think Jets will stink: 'We'll shut them up with our play'

Gas2No99

Jordan Jenkins on people who think Jets will stink: 'We'll shut them up with our play'

Jordan Jenkins has high hopes for the 2017 Jets. (John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

Jordan Jenkins has high hopes for the 2017 Jets. (John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

CALDWELL -- Second-year outside linebacker Jordan Jenkins has a simple message for those people who believe the Jets will stink in 2017, as they rebuild with younger players. 

"There are always going to be a lot of naysayers," Jenkins said Monday. "If you look at how we played last season, people are going to say that. We're just going to let them talk, and we're just going to let our play dictate how we'll go. And we'll shut them up with our play. You can't really let words control what you do. You have to let your actions do it." 

Jets players have (unsurprisingly) spoken with confidence lately about their hopes for this team, even after it cut so many notable veteran players, and even after owner Woody Johnson said he won't measure this season's success simply by wins and losses. 

Longtime middle linebacker David Harris said the Jets will "surprise" people in 2017. Another veteran, defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson, guaranteed the Jets will have more wins than last season. Of course, that isn't a high bar, considering the Jets went 5-11 last year. 

Which Jets pick will have biggest impact?

Jenkins and Harris spoke Monday at Harris' charity golf event. The annual event benefits the Give the Kids Hope Foundation

"I've always played with a chip on my shoulder," Jenkins said. "And it's a couple other guys' mentalities, too, that we're going to come into this season with a chip on our shoulders. We saw how we played last season. Not up to what we should've done. That's not how we should've played. Looking to this season, we just want to sort of establish a new name for the Jets."

The purge of aging, under performing, overpaid players and drafting high character guys, staying away from high priced pre-madonnas in FA should change the approach and attitude this team takes in preparation and on field play. 

I think (barring injury and a complete disaster at the QB position) this team WILL win more games than last year. And Jets fans will angrily proclaim on this forum how now the Jets are stuck drafting outside of the top 10 and the top 3 QBs are out of reach. LMFAO.     

Just now, PepPep said:

The purge of aging, under performing, overpaid players and drafting high character guys, staying away from high priced pre-madonnas in FA should change the approach and attitude this team takes in preparation and on field play. 

I think (barring injury and a complete disaster at the QB position) this team WILL win more games than last year. And Jets fans will angrily proclaim on this forum how now the Jets are stuck drafting outside of the top 10 and the top 3 QBs are out of reach. LMFAO.     

If the Jets win more games than last year I think it's going to be because Hack wins the job and plays well. If that's the case then we're probably not in a terrible spot. JMO

8 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

If the Jets win more games than last year I think it's going to be because Hack wins the job and plays well. If that's the case then we're probably not in a terrible spot. JMO

I mean, SOMEBODY at the QB position will need to play well. It could be McCown, it could be Petty. The secondary will need to improve- which I think they will. The O-line will need to hold up. The young WRs will need to contribute. The young LBs will need to take a step forward (Jenkins, Mauldin, Lee). And of course, key players will need to stay healthy. 

So there's a lot of IFs but yes, I believe the Jets have a great chance to improve upon last year- regardless of whether Jet fans believe it or not or believe that is a good thing or not. 

I think the combination of the new safeties, Claiborne, no Revis, recovered Mo, motivated SR and Kevin Greene have this defense playing much better than last year.

The offense will frustrate us.  They could really use a power RB.  Let's see what Jax does with Ivory.  A power RB with decent QB play could get the Jets more wins than people expect.

Bowles is also coaching for his job, regardless of what anyone says. 

The Jets can be better even without good qb play, it took the worst qb play in the league to get them 5-11 . But it's worst case scenario that we win games with awful qb play.

i lied. Worst case scenario is that they're better and Josh Mccown plays well. 

32 minutes ago, PepPep said:

No idea what's so funny.  If the jets win 6 games with McCown at QB they are the laughingstock of the league.   

It's hard to be optimistic when you know the coach plays so conservative and the offense is a bore. When we surprised everyone in Mangini's first year, it was because he and the OC were very innovative. (we also had Coles and Cotchery, which helps). But this coach just plays everything by the book, and if we go by the book, we will lose because we aren't good enough on paper. Maybe the new offensive coordinator has some tricks up his sleeve...(??)

19 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I mean, SOMEBODY at the QB position will need to play well. It could be McCown, it could be Petty. The secondary will need to improve- which I think they will. The O-line will need to hold up. The young WRs will need to contribute. The young LBs will need to take a step forward (Jenkins, Mauldin, Lee). And of course, key players will need to stay healthy. 

So there's a lot of IFs but yes, I believe the Jets have a great chance to improve upon last year- regardless of whether Jet fans believe it or not or believe that is a good thing or not. 

It all depends on the QB. If they exceed expectations with Mccown starting, then the season is an utter failure. If they do it with Hackenberg or Petty starting, then the season is a success.

5 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

It's hard to be optimistic when you know the coach plays so conservative and the offense is a bore. When we surprised everyone in Mangini's first year, it was because he and the OC were very innovative. (we also had Coles and Cotchery, which helps). But this coach just plays everything by the book, and if we go by the book, we will lose because we aren't good enough on paper. Maybe the new offensive coordinator has some tricks up his sleeve...(??)

It's a sad, sad day when Jets fans feel the need to praise the coaching prowess of Mangini and B-Schitty.

The funny thing is that their supposed great accomplishment was bringing the Jets from 4-12 to 10-6, which is exactly what happened in Bowles first year.  Now this is not the slightest bit of praise for Bowles mind you, but just kind of points to the revisionist history so many Jets fans embrace, to the point of suddenly celebrating those we hated before, to use as extra ammo to bitch about the current Jets situation.

The sad reality is, far more often than not, what we see is simply a repeat of what happened previously.  A surprising first year turnaround that exceeded everyone's expectations?  Check.  A second year then idiotically dedicated well in advance to the crappy QB who never had two consecutive seasons of success in his entire NFL career, was a miserable failure that year, and took far too long to bench for the young guy in waiting?  Check again.  Now all we need is a late training camp acquisition of a quality old vet QB, leading to a shockingly hot start before a late season collapse, and then we'll officially have the Mangini Years Redux.

I get the sentiment, but isn't coming out and saying that they will 'speak with their play' kind of whack. You either say stuff, or you speak with your actions; telling the media that you are going to speak with their actions, is just saying stuff...

That would be fine if their game plan was to actually you know win the game? That's probably why their adjustments weren't really adjustments...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

It's 2017 and you still don't realize the importance of finding a franchise QB. I hope Hack or Petty emerge, but if we go 8-8 and still don't have a franchise QB, we are doomed to more mediocrity for the next 10 years. If you don't care about super bowls and just want to watch a fun product every year, sure that's great. If you want to build a super bowl winning team you need a franchise QB. You won't get one picking at 15 next year and you won't be able to trade up into the top 1 or 2 either. 

2 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

No idea what's so funny.  If the jets win 6 games with McCown at QB they are the laughingstock of the league.   

Josh McCown winning 6 games would mean that in 2017 he won as many games as he won in the prior 6 years combined.  So, we've got that going for us.

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

It's a sad, sad day when Jets fans feel the need to praise the coaching prowess of Mangini and B-Schitty.

The funny thing is that their supposed great accomplishment was bringing the Jets from 4-12 to 10-6, which is exactly what happened in Bowles first year.  Now this is not the slightest bit of praise for Bowles mind you, but just kind of points to the revisionist history so many Jets fans embrace, to the point of suddenly celebrating those we hated before, to use as extra ammo to bitch about the current Jets situation.

The sad reality is, far more often than not, what we see is simply a repeat of what happened previously.  A surprising first year turnaround that exceeded everyone's expectations?  Check.  A second year then idiotically dedicated well in advance to the crappy QB who never had two consecutive seasons of success in his entire NFL career, was a miserable failure that year, and took far too long to bench for the young guy in waiting?  Check again.  Now all we need is a late training camp acquisition of a quality old vet QB, leading to a shockingly hot start before a late season collapse, and then we'll officially have the Mangini Years Redux.

I was for Mangini before I was against him. 

2 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

I get the sentiment, but isn't coming out and saying that they will 'speak with their play' kind of whack. You either say stuff, or you speak with your actions; telling the media that you are going to speak with their actions, is just saying stuff...

LOL...said the same exact thing when I saw the thread title.  "Here, pull up a chair and let me talk to you about how we're not gonna' talk about how good we're gonna' be"

Why Jets' Jordan Jenkins expects to make splash as pass rusher in 2017

Will Jordan Jenkins take the next step in 2017? (Dennis Schneidler | USA TODAY Sports)

Will Jordan Jenkins take the next step in 2017? (Dennis Schneidler | USA TODAY Sports)

CALDWELL -- The Jets last season didn't get enough from outside linebackers Jordan Jenkins and Lorenzo Mauldin -- at least in terms of pass-rushing production. 

Jenkins, a third-round draft pick last year, had just 2.5 sacks -- the same number as Mauldin, whom the Jets took in Round 3 in 2015. Mauldin had four sacks as a rookie. 

Jenkins has always thrived defending the run, setting the edge. But he isn't a master pass rusher. Far form it. So this offseason, he focused his training on pass rushing. He worked extensively near Atlanta with Chuck Smith, a pass rushing guru. 

Will this mean more sacks for Jenkins in 2017? 

"I would hope to be a better pass rusher, after all that work and time I put in," he said. "But I can't really be a good judge of that. I have to let my play be the judge of that this year.

Jenkins spoke Monday at Jets middle linebacker David Harris' charity golf event, which benefits the Give the Kids Hope Foundation

Smith, 47, was an NFL defensive end from 1992-2000. He accumulated 58.5 sacks. Now, he works extensively on pass rushing techniques and training with draft prospects and NFL players. Jenkins planned to train under Smith before last year's draft, but a groin injury prevented that from happening. So Jenkins relished the chance to learn from Smith this winter. 

Jenkins trained at Smith's facility for about two months, starting in mid-February. At first, Jenkins was there four days per week. He trimmed his sessions to thrice weekly as the April 17 opening day for Jets offseason workouts approached. 

In the end, Jenkins came away with a more thorough grasp of pass rushing. 

"He really just helped me understand," Jenkins said. "You have to really learn pass rush. And I never really was taught pass rush at any level, from high school on up. I didn't realize how much I was missing until I started working with Chuck.

"He really broke everything down for me -- reasons why to do this move, situations where this move will work, situations where this move wouldn't work. He just sort of helped me understand pass rush, and understand my body movements, and just different ways you can use your move. It just helped me understand when I should use a move and when I shouldn't." 

"I feel like I'm pretty good against the run. That's willpower. And if you're a man, you've got to learn how to set the edge. Just something that's always been a part of who I am. Pass rush is something I have to really work at. It didn't come as easy as just being physical with guys." 

Impact of Jets' rookies

Now that he's back with the Jets -- who begin organized team activities practices Tuesday -- Jenkins gets to learn from another pass rushing master: his new outside linebackers coach, Kevin Greene. A Hall of Famer, Greene ranks third on the NFL's career sacks list, with 160. 

"When you think of pass rushing and you think of an outside linebacker, you think of K.G., Kevin Greene," Jenkins said. "He physically dominated cats back in his time. You just want to soak up as much information as you can from him." 

Archived