Re-grading the 2014 NFL draft, three years later

Marshmello

Til this day I still can't believe Idzik kept all 12 picks and didn't trade any of them for future picks or traded up.  With UDFA's as well and the 12 picks.  There was no was no way all those picks were going to make the roster.  It would have set up us well for future drafts if we traded a couple of those picks..  I see teams like Sea always trading back every year and doing well in the middle rounds.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/05/16/nfl-draft-2014-grades-analysis-best-picks

New York Jets

Best pick: Quincy Enunwa, WR, Nebraska (Round 6, No. 209)

Worst pick: Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech (Round 2, No. 49)

Draft grade: D–

The Jets made 12 selections during the 2014 draft. Just 33% of those players remain on the current roster, and a mere one—Enunwa—should be considered completely safe headed into OTAs. The remaining three: S Calvin Pryor (No. 14), DB Dexter McDougle (No. 80) and G Dakota Dozier (No. 137). All could fall victim to the numbers game in the coming months. Amaro did catch 38 balls as a rookie, but an injury the following preseason effectively ended his Jets career. Noteworthy among the other picks: IK Enemkpali (No. 210), most infamous for breaking Geno Smith’s jaw with a punch.

2 hours ago, sciond said:

they graded it too high

Yep.  If that draft does not get an F grade, what would you have to do to get an F?

Someone just making picks blindly might have used one pick to get someone of Enunwa's quality, so the fact that he's got talent does not lift Idzik from an F to a D-.

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

Yep.  If that draft does not get an F grade, what would you have to do to get an F?

Someone just making picks blindly might have used one pick to get someone of Enunwa's quality, so the fact that he's got talent does not lift Idzik from an F to a D-.

That non-F was more out of respect to Enunwa than either the Jets or Idzik.  Just look at the likes of the Jets' 2010 and 2012 drafts to look at an Enunwa-less version of the draft.  The point being, while it can't be that much worse, it's still possible to be worse.

I'll fully admit I was excited about Pryor and thought Amaro and Dozier would turn into solid pieces. Maybe not great, but I thought they'd be useful... I knew nothing about Enunwa at the time. 

Yikes... Swing and a miss. 

16 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Idzik sent the franchise back at least 5 years meanwhile the guy he replaced did the impossible and built a roster to get Miami to the playoffs.

Lets not start thinking Tannenbaum was any good because he wasn't. Idziks plan was solid but he was horrible in the draft.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Lets not start thinking Tannenbaum was any good because he wasn't. Idziks plan was solid but he was horrible in the draft.

yeah he sucked.  damn that guy for building a roster that made 2 championship games. was he perfect? of course not but he did a damn good job here.

I agree w/ your take on Idzik.

On 5/19/2017 at 1:43 PM, Bleedin Green said:

That non-F was more out of respect to Enunwa than either the Jets or Idzik.  Just look at the likes of the Jets' 2010 and 2012 drafts to look at an Enunwa-less version of the draft.  The point being, while it can't be that much worse, it's still possible to be worse.

Enunwa must mean "blind squirrel" in some language.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 3:38 PM, NoBowles said:

When you factor in we passed on Carr, Bridgewater and Garrapolo, it looks oh so much worse.

This GM passed  passed on those guys ?  Did this GM draft Calvin Pryor instead of whoever ? what QB, or LT or Edge rusher did this GM not draft to take a player who was ranked lower ?  Were mistakes made, obviously, and some were probably made under this regime, but for the most part, this GM took the highest rated players that made sense to him and the Jets and that's what any true Jet fans should hope for . 

On 5/19/2017 at 3:31 PM, johnnysd said:

Tanny is still handing out big contracts but he has been drafting well and unfortunately the Dolphins are a young solid team on the rise, not the Jets. 

Archived