WR dept. : Quincy Enunwa ~ ~ ~

kelly

When you take a look at Quincy Enunwa’s 6-foot-2, 225 pound frame, a vertical receiver isn’t the first thing that comes to mind.

Yes, Enunwa is built like a combination of a wide receiver and a tight end, but he also possesses speed and showed an ability to stretch the field that no other Jets wide receiver has in recent memory last season.

Statistically, Enunwa was the NFL’s most efficient deep ball receiver in 2017, according to Pro Football Focus.

Jets WR Quincy Enunwa showed outstanding deep ball ability last year. Can he be the Jets' top receiver in 2017?

Enunwa caught eight out of his 10 deep targets a season ago for 278 yards, including an incredible touchdown catch against New England in Week 12. These numbers are even more impressive considering that Ryan Fitzpatrick and Bryce Petty played quarterback for the Jets last season.Fitzpatrick, in particular, was one of the league’s worst vertical passers last season, which explains why Enunwa had only 10 targets down the field.

Looking ahead to next season, Enunwa should have an increased number of targets due to the departure of Brandon Marshall. While he says that his best position is in the slot, the Jets will move Enunwa around the formation as an outside receiver as well. He may also see time lined up in the backfield or inline as an H-back.

Wherever Enunwa lines up, the Jets would be wise to let him run vertical routes.

>     http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/19/what-quincy-enunwa-did-better-than-any-receiver-in-the-nfl-last-year/

• 3 weeks later...

Wide receiver Jeremy Maclin was unexpectedly released from the Kansas City Chiefs on Friday, putting a veteran receiver with leadership qualities on the market.

His former quarterback Alex Smith was “shocked” at the news that Maclin was gone. Smith had plenty of great things to say about his departing teammate and even told the media on Saturday that he was recently at Maclin’s wedding. This one hurts for the Chiefs, but it could help boost the Jets.Since his time with the Philadelphia Eagles, Maclin has been a consistently good receiver. He did miss all of 2013 with an ACL tear, but in the games he has played for the Eagles and Chiefs, he’s been quite productive.

His best season came back in 2014 with the Eagles when Maclin had 1,318 receiving yards and 10 touchdowns. In his first season with the Chiefs two years ago, he had 1,088 yards receiving and eight touchdowns. Maclin also caught more than 70 percent of his targets, a career-high.Maclin’s numbers dipped a little bit this past season, but despite missing four games he finished with 536 yards receiving on just 76 targets. Both were career lows. With more opportunities, Maclin should still put up big numbers.

With more opportunities, Maclin should still put up big numbers.

Adding him would suit the Jets because they need a wide receiver to put along side Eric Decker. Maclin would help to take the pressure off of Decker and allow for both to prosper. When Decker has had career years with the Denver Broncos and Jets, he lined up across the likes of Demaryius Thomas and Brandon Marshall. They took the load off of Decker so he could excel.Maclin’s veteran leadership and wide receiving acumen would be perfect for the Jets this season. It would allow for younger wide receivers to learn and grow as well as give the eventual starting quarterback another weapon to throw to.

If the Jets can help it, Maclin would fit in great with a team looking to rebuild. At the age of 29, he could be part of the long-term solution as well.

>     http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/04/jets-could-use-ex-chiefs-wr-jeremy-maclin/

The New York Jets have only two wide receivers with more than 42 career receptions -- Quincy Enunwa and Eric Decker, who is coming off two surgeries. Quinton Patton would've made it three, but he was placed on injured reserve Monday.

It's a young, unproven receiving corps, and it needs Robby Anderson to take a step forward in his second season -- maybe two steps.Can he do it? Brandon Marshall, who considers himself a big brother to Anderson, loves his former teammate's potential. But he also believes Anderson must learn to give consistent effort, suggesting that wasn't always the case when they worked out together earlier in the offseason."Robby needs to turn it around," Marshall told reporters over the weekend at his youth football camp in New Jersey. "I say that out of love. He's my younger brother."

He wasn't referring to Anderson's recent brush with the law. On May 8, he was arrested at a music festival in Miami and charged with resisting a police officer with violence -- a felony. An arraignment hearing will be held at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, just about the time the Jets will be taking the field for their eighth OTA practice.

No, Marshall was talking about Anderson's willingness to embrace what he taught him.

"Now it's, what do you do with that information?" Marshall said. "In February and March, and we were in Florida and we were working, I don't know what he was doing with that information. Now he's more receptive and he's taking it and running with it. If he can consistently do that, I think he'll be able to build off what he started last year."

Anderson started a nice foundation last season.

After making the team as an undrafted rookie out of Temple, he assumed a starter's role when Decker suffered hip and rotator-cuff injuries early in the year. Anderson finished with 42 catches for 587 yards and two touchdowns. But that didn't stop the Jets from drafting ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen in the third and fourth rounds, respectively.Nothing will be handed to Anderson, who must show he can be a precise route runner in John Morton's West Coast-style offense. His route running last season could best be described as raw."Robby can be a phenomenal receiver, Robby can be a No. 1 receiver," said Marshall, who plays for the New York Giants. "Robby is explosive, but he needs to be a pro consistently."

Some tough love from "big bro."

>        http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69166/brandon-marshall-says-robby-anderson-can-be-a-no-1-receiver-but

You know what is nice about our offense ?  The Starting QB does not yet have a favorite receiver he zeros in on and defensive Coordinators don't yet know what to expect from this offense .

There's always a bright side to everything if you care to look for it . 

• 2 weeks later...

-- Now that the Jets have cut wide receiver Eric Decker, their top two receivers are Quincy Enunwa and Robby Anderson, in that order. 

This is quite a jump for Anderson, who showed flashes of potential as an undrafted rookie last season. Is he ready for the increased coverage attention in 2017? "I don't think that that's going to be an issue," he told NJ Advance Media on Tuesday, when the Jets opened their three-day minicamp. "If you watch the film last year, there were times where teams put their No. 1 corner on me. There were times where teams put their No. 1 corner on Quincy. They're going to have to choose."

The Jets entered last season with Brandon Marshall, Decker, and Enunwa ahead of Anderson. Not much was expected of Anderson. He got a chance to play more when a shoulder injury sidelined Decker after he played three games. And now that the Jets have cut Marshall and Decker this offseason, Anderson will get many more opportunities in 2017. 

Anderson said this situation is somewhat similar to when he took Decker's spot in the Jets' offense last season, except the Jets now have a new offensive coordinator, John Morton. "It's a complete adjustment, because it's a new system," Anderson said. "But as far as stepping into his shoes, it's pretty similar. But it's not about that now. Last year, I was playing a role as a backup. This year, I'm playing a role of trying to be a full-time starter the entire season, not filling anybody's shoes this year. I'm just working. I'm hungry." Anderson -- a rail-thin speed/deep threat -- last season ranked fourth on the Jets in catches (42), third in receiving yards (587), and also had two touchdown catches. He declined to say what he hopes to accomplish this season.

"I don't speak imaginary things," he said. "Actions speak. I'm not here to make predictions." But even with Decker gone, his advice remains fresh in Anderson's mind. 

"I learned a lot from Decker," Anderson said. "Every day, I [was] always asking him questions. He's constantly teaching me things, about taking care of your body, and [I was] picking his brain to find out those keys."I'm going to miss him a lot. I learned a lot from him. With relationships, sometimes you look back and you wish you could've learned more from a person. I feel like I learned as much as possible from Eric, by watching him and asking him [questions]." Anderson was arrested last month in Miami for pushing a police officer at a music festival. He faces a felony charge of resisting an officer with violence, plus a misdemeanor count of obstructing an officer. He has pled not guilty, and his trial is scheduled to begin Sept. 11 -- the day after the Jets' season opener in Buffalo.

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/06/jets_robby_anderson_welcomes_increased_coverage_at.html#incart_river_index

-- It's an easy conclusion to draw: The Jets receiving corps isn't all that good.

Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker are gone. Not one player under contract has more than three years of experience, or a 1,000-yard season on his resume. The majority occupying the meeting room are unknown outside One Jets Drive. 

A plus B equals C: The unit stinks. 

Quincy Enunwa heard said criticism. His take ? 

"How can they know better when they haven't seen anything?" he said at his locker on Wednesday. "It's up to us to prove them wrong."It's hard to find a unit more impacted by general manager Mike Maccagnan's offseason roster purge than the receivers. Enunwa -- stunningly -- is the only player to catch a ball in 2015 that will contribute this year. The Jets have gone from two wily veterans in Decker and Marshall, to a group of unproven youngsters.Enunwa is, by default, the No. 1. After him, a pair of undrafted rookies from 2016 (Robby Anderson, Jalin Marshall), and the two players the Jets drafted in May (ArDarius Stewart, Chad Hansen). Charone Peake, K.D. Cannon, Frankie Hammond and Myles White are under contract, too, and figure to compete for playing time. 

Most see the inexperience as a fault. The Jets believe it's a positive.  

In the NFL, receivers are, largely, divas -- me-first players obsessed with style, swagger and pizzazz. The Jets don't have those egos. There are no dominating personalities. They're all in it for the same goal, personal accomplishments come second. "What's great about what we are as a group is that we're a group that has to function as a group," Jets receivers coach Karl Dorrell said. "Usually, when you have an established player, you find go-to opportunities for those type of players. This group, we're still refining our craft because we're developing.

"Even Quincy, a fourth-year player like he is, is developing into the type of receiver he's capable of becoming."

Dorrell's not joking. While Enunwa is the 25-year-old old man in the meeting room, he's far from a fine-tuned product. His route running is still a bit flawed, and drops (nine since 2015) are a concern. Both areas need improvement because this year, he'll really be tested. Enunwa, who's entering his contract year, is now the guy on offense. He'll see a team's No. 1 cornerback on Sundays, and could have coverage shaded his way. The Jets will still need him to create separation and make plays."That's something he really grew confident with himself as a guy who can run, he's strong, he can battle with most guys in this league from a physical standpoint," Dorrell said. "He's very confident that, 1-on-1, he can beat 1-on-1."He's really stepping up his game ... He's going to be asked to do some things to win consistently." 

Enunwa is sitting out minicamp while he deals with a minor neck and shoulder injury. He'll be back in full for training camp, which begins the last week of July. While on the side, though, Enunwa has had a chance to observe his fellow pass-catchers. And he's come away impressed. It's only a matter of time, he says, before others are, too."You guys have been watching practice," Enunwa said. "You see the guys out there. It's not going to be just me. And that's great.

"I don't have to go out there and think it's all about me. And I won't. I'm going to go out there and play." 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/06/quincy_enunwa_jets_wideouts_ready_to_show_nfl_what.html#incart_river_index

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Adding depth to their injury-plagued receiving corps, the Jets have signed former Bears WR Marquess Wilson. The 6-foot-4 Wilson has flashed upside, but has battled injuries. He finished last season on IR with a broken foot. In four seasons, he has 56 catches, 777 yards and three touchdowns. The Jets were banged up in minicamp, as rookies ArDarius Stewart (groin, thumb surgery) and Chad Hansen (knee) sat out.

>     http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

• 4 weeks later...

Breaking down the New York Jets' roster, unit by unit, in preparation for training camp, which begins July 29 :

Position: Wide receiver

Projected starters: Quincy Enunwa, Robby Anderson

Projected reserves: Jalin Marshall (faces four-game suspension), Charone Peake, ArDarius Stewart, Chad Hansen

Notables on the bubble: Devin Street, Marquess Wilson, Myles White, Frankie Hammond

Top storyline: No position group exemplifies the Jets' rebuilding project more than the receiving corps. The team dumped a pair of still-capable receivers making good but not outrageous money -- Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall -- and handed the position to a bunch of kids. And we're not talking about blue-chip prospects here, as none of the aforementioned top six was drafted higher than the third round. How this unfolds will tell us a lot about general manager Mike Maccagnan's personnel acumen. He obviously sees something in these unheralded players that most people don't. Enunwa, Anderson, Marshall and Peake have only 155 career catches and eight touchdowns between them.

Player to watch: Enunwa was one of the most improved players last season, but now he needs to make another jump to validate his new status as the No. 1 receiver. Brandon Marshall isn't around anymore to draw attention, meaning Enunwa will face more coverage and/or better cornerbacks than he did as the No. 2 or No. 3. He also must make the transition to the perimeter. Of his 57 catches last season, 44 came when he was lined up in the slot, at tight end or in the backfield, per ESPN Stats & Information.

Wild card: When the Jets drafted Stewart in the third round out of Alabama, they saw a receiver with the potential to contribute immediately in a significant role. Then he underwent surgery to repair a lingering groin injury and another operation to fix a new thumb injury, causing him to miss the bulk of the offseason. They say he will be ready for training camp, but you have to wonder about his conditioning and comfort level with the offense.

Training camp will be a success if ... People aren't screaming for the Jets to add a veteran. Remember, they won't have Marshall for four games due to a PED suspension, which means they'll be counting on Peake and the rookies -- Stewart and Hansen -- to fill key roles. That's risky. Come to think of it, the entire plan at receiver is a big risk.

By the numbers: Anderson showed promise as an undrafted rookie, but he'll have to add some diversity to his game. That also falls on the coaching staff. When he played against base defenses (four defensive backs), the plan usually went something like this: "Go deep, Robby." In those situations, his 15 targets averaged an astounding 21 air yards per attempt, according to ESPN Stats & Info. How 'bout some variety?

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69580/jets-hope-to-catch-a-rising-star-or-two-at-wide-receiver

• 1 month later...
52 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Kearse and Kerley are both better than any WR on the roster hands down. 

Anderson isn't a #1 WR, far from it sadly our coaching staff and GM thought he was. 

The Dolphins had "The Marks brothers".  The Broncos had "The 3 Amigos".  The Redskins had "The Smurfs".  What should our group of crappy WRs be nicknamed?

19 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The Dolphins had "The Marks brothers".  The Broncos had "The 3 Amigos".  The Redskins had "The Smurfs".  What should our group of crappy WRs be nicknamed?

Prior to Kearse and Kerley signing and with Q on the IR 

I would have called them "Macc's Crap" or Macc's Crapper's" 

On 5/19/2017 at 9:51 AM, kelly said:

When you take a look at Quincy Enunwa’s 6-foot-2, 225 pound frame, a vertical receiver isn’t the first thing that comes to mind.

Yes, Enunwa is built like a combination of a wide receiver and a tight end, but he also possesses speed and showed an ability to stretch the field that no other Jets wide receiver has in recent memory last season.

Statistically, Enunwa was the NFL’s most efficient deep ball receiver in 2017, according to Pro Football Focus.

Jets WR Quincy Enunwa showed outstanding deep ball ability last year. Can he be the Jets' top receiver in 2017?

Enunwa caught eight out of his 10 deep targets a season ago for 278 yards, including an incredible touchdown catch against New England in Week 12. These numbers are even more impressive considering that Ryan Fitzpatrick and Bryce Petty played quarterback for the Jets last season.Fitzpatrick, in particular, was one of the league’s worst vertical passers last season, which explains why Enunwa had only 10 targets down the field.

Looking ahead to next season, Enunwa should have an increased number of targets due to the departure of Brandon Marshall. While he says that his best position is in the slot, the Jets will move Enunwa around the formation as an outside receiver as well. He may also see time lined up in the backfield or inline as an H-back.

Wherever Enunwa lines up, the Jets would be wise to let him run vertical routes.

>     http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/19/what-quincy-enunwa-did-better-than-any-receiver-in-the-nfl-last-year/

If he can even still play football. That neck injury might be a career ender

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

more re our WR dept. - 

-- A check of the weekly stock watch, risers and fallers from the New York Jets' 15-10 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (pre-film review) :

~ ~  THREE RISERS

WR Robby Anderson -- He scored a touchdown for the fourth straight game, making him just the 16th Jets receiver with a four-game streak in the same season in franchise history. Three of his four catches went for 20 yards or more. Anderson continues to be a bright spot.

WR Chad Hansen -- The rookie wideout recorded his first three catches. Unfortunately, they didn't come until late in the game. Hansen, who replaced the suspended Jeremy Kerley as the No. 3 receiver, wasn't targeted in the first half. Clearly, McCown has yet to develop a trust with Hansen. Fellow rookie ArDarius Stewart barely saw the field.

rest of above article : 

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/72864/jets-qb-josh-mccown-the-human-pinata-hit-14-times-by-bucs

Hansen has not impressed me.  Seems like he could be decent, but his quickness does not jump out at you like most of these slot guys, even Kerley.  I am surprised we have not seen more from Stewart. From what I read about him, I expected them to force certain things for him and he barely sees the field.  Also a little worried about his lack of special team snaps. 

• 2 weeks later...

re : wr dept. -  Kearse..  

~ ~ WR Jermaine Kearse -- Maintaining his reputation as a Panthers killer, Kearse finished with seven catches for a season-high 105 yards and a touchdown. There's about Carolina blue that brings out the best in Kearse, who racked up 14 catches, 239 yards and three touchdown in two playoff games against them while playing for the Seattle Seahawks.

rest of above article : 

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/73117/since-he-mentioned-it-is-robby-anderson-pro-bowl-worthy

• 2 weeks later...

Archived