Buccaneers agree to deal with free-agent Ryan Fitzpatrick

joewilly12

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I am not here to get in a political debate. I said what I meant and your post backs up the sentiment I see often that you feel that you are entitled to be honored, and are somehow more valuable than anyone that hasn't.. Fine, You can believe that, but my statements are not anti-military I do believe that service men and women deserve respect, admiration and special treatment in many cases for what they are put through by the leaders of the nations of the world, But your service to society is no greater nor more admirable than other people that put themselves in the service of others. 

Like Kaepernick you are entitled to your thoughts. Too bad you think that the willingness to die for Americans and others you may never meet is not greater than you do. Too many make the ultimate sacrifice for you to enjoy the Jets on Sunday's in the fall.

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

Ha ha ha ha. 

31 TD's, yeah, didn't happen.  Because you say so.

SAR I

Yeah, it was a great season....A big BS fluke of a season that cost us dearly.  We all drank the Kool-Aid.  And in the end, it meant squat because we did not make the playoffs.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

fine but then was fitz the reason why marshall caught 50% of the passes thrown his way?  how about decker's injury/ how about geno's injury? clady?  and so on.  did fitz cause revis to mail it in?  my point is last season was a team problem not any one player. fitz wasn't a good qb but what happened was way beyond his control.

and marshall's missed catches?  they weren't all overthrows or in the dirt.  tons of those passes were right in his hands and he dropped them.  so much for being an all world player.

it's time to move on.  those guys aren't on the team and won't be missed.

I hear what you are saying but I respectfully disagree. 

Yes you are right that other Jets stunk up the joint last year but no one was as bad as Fitz was.... NO ONE!!!!

And here is an article that I have posted previously but I think that it is worth posting again when anyone says that Fitz was no more culpable than anyone else.. So here it goes:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18226665/ryan-fitzpatrick-historically-bad-2016

Future employers beware: Ryan Fitzpatrick has been historically bad in 2016

• gargiulo_henry.png&w=160&h=160&scale=cro
    Hank GargiuloESPN Analytics

Ryan Fitzpatrick has not looked like the player who nearly fueled a playoff run in 2015. Rhona Wise/EPA

At halftime of an eventual Monday night loss to the Indianapolis Colts, New York Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick was pulled following a disappointing 5-for-12 showing that included just 81 passing yards and his 14th interception of the season -- tied for the second most of any QB so far this year. Fitzpatrick's 24.6 Total QBR against the Colts was his second-worst performance of the season (only his 5.5 against the Chiefs in Week 3 is worse), and also the second-worst of his two-season tenure with the Jets.

Fitzpatrick has struggled all season and now has been replaced as the starting quarterback twice this season (the first time came after Week 6 when Geno Smith took over, before Smith's injury early in Week 7 necessitated a Fitzpatrick return). All this on the heels of a career year in 2015. What has happened to turn Fitz from the unquestioned starter on a 10-6 team to a twice-benched journeyman who will probably end up on his seventh team in 13 seasons next year?

Interceptions

The most noticeable issue facing Fitzpatrick is his poor interception rate. It isn't so much that the volume of interceptions is off the charts, but when you factor in his low number of attempts compared to QBs who have thrown a similar number of picks, his rate is downright alarming. In a season that is on pace to have the lowest percentage of passes intercepted in league history (2.1 percent, which would break the previous record set last season at 2.4 percent), Fitzpatrick has had 4.1 percent of his attempts picked this season, by far the highest rate of any qualified QB this season (the next-closest is the also-benched Case Keenum at 3.5 percent). This has occurred after back-to-back seasons in which Fitzpatrick he posted near-career-low interception rates of 2.7 percent in 2015 and 2.6 percent in 2014.

This year the interceptions have also been especially costly in terms of expected points added. As we have mentioned in the past, not all interceptions are created equal. A deep interception on a third-and-long isn't as damaging as an interception on an early down near the goal line. If we take a look at the quarterbacks' portion of the EPA lost on their interceptions, nobody has been more damaging in aggregate than Fitzpatrick.

Fitzpatrick has thrown five interceptions in the red zone this season; no other quarterback has thrown more than two. The five red-zone picks are tied for the second-most a QB has thrown in a season since 2001, behind only Jay Cutler's six in 2009. Last season, Fitzpatrick threw only one red-zone pick.

Pressure problems

Another area where Fitzpatrick is down big from 2015 is his performance while pressured. Last year he compiled a 71.5 raw QBR while pressured, the second-best mark in the league (the NFL average last season was 28.9 while pressured), but this season he has a 12.2 raw QBR while pressured, 29th out of 31 qualified quarterbacks. (The league average is 34.7 this season.)

Fitzpatrick image by AP Photo/Kathy Willens

For more from ESPN Analytics, visit the ESPN Analytics Index.

9 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Like Kaepernick you are entitled to your thoughts. Too bad you think that the willingness to die for Americans and others you may never meet is not greater than you do. Too many make the ultimate sacrifice for you to enjoy the Jets on Sunday's in the fall.

Let's be very clear here, the last war that "kept us safe to watch the Jets" was WWII.

Every war since that date has been political in nature, and very much by choice, and for reasons having little or nothing to do with "keeping Americans safe".

A life of service is, nonetheless, exceptionally honorable and to be applauded.  Not just in the military, but our police and fire fighters, EMS, and anyone else who serves in dangerous life or death situations.

That honor, however, tarnishes some when someone makes a conscious effort to flog his service all over everyone he talks to, bringing it up literally in every possible post, and trying to use it as a cudgel with which to belittle others arguments for seemingly being inherently lesser because they did not serve.

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Let's be very clear here, the last war that "kept us safe to watch the Jets" was WWII.

Every war since that date has been political in nature, and very much by choice, and for reasons having little or nothing to do with "keeping Americans safe".

A life of service is, nonetheless, exceptionally honorable and to be applauded.  Not just in the military, but our police and fire fighters, EMS, and anyone else who serves in dangerous life or death situations.

That honor, however, tarnishes some when someone makes a conscious effort to flog his service all over everyone he talks to, bringing it up literally in every possible post, and trying to use it as a cudgel with which to belittle others arguments for seemingly being inherently lesser because they did not serve.

Oy

21 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Nice signing by TB.  Good guy to have as a veteran backup who can hold the team afloat for a game or 2 if winston gets hurt.

Nice move like putting Winston on the cover of Madden. 

You mean when Winston gets hurt, and for a game or 15. Fitz has been signed as a backup around 8 times and 8 times he's started 10 games or more for that team because of injury. 

Just with the Jets he was replaced twice and never sat more than a couple games before returning due to injury. 

12 hours ago, rangerous said:

fine but then was fitz the reason why marshall caught 50% of the passes thrown his way?  how about decker's injury/ how about geno's injury? clady?  and so on.  did fitz cause revis to mail it in?  my point is last season was a team problem not any one player. fitz wasn't a good qb but what happened was way beyond his control.

and marshall's missed catches?  they weren't all overthrows or in the dirt.  tons of those passes were right in his hands and he dropped them.  so much for being an all world player.

it's time to move on.  those guys aren't on the team and won't be missed.

My problem with this is that during 2015, there was hardly any talk about how other players were helping us win. No Revis, no Mo no Pryor etc. it was about how we wouldn't have won 10 wins if it weren't for Fitzpatrick. So when things get bad I'm not trying to hear about how other players contributed to a bad 2016 season. 

28 minutes ago, August said:

My problem with this is that during 2015, there was hardly any talk about how other players were helping us win. No Revis, no Mo no Pryor etc. it was about how we wouldn't have won 10 wins if it weren't for Fitzpatrick. So when things get bad I'm not trying to hear about how other players contributed to a bad 2016 season. 

IN 2015 the NY Jets had the easiest schedule in the NFL and only beat 2 teams with winning records. 

Fitzpatrick was in the right place at the right time. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Thank you. The truth ALWAYS brings a smile to my face.

12 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

He thought wrong and I hope he rots in TB hell. 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Please don't ever stop with these responses whenever Fitz comes up. Holy sheet it's like instead of giving you a season of bad QBing, Fitz bent your wife over backwards and smashed, raided your fridge to make a honey ham and provolone sandwich, went back and treated your wife like a bowling ball, and just to rub it all in, took his .44 and shot your daughter in the calf muscle. All while you watched...

9 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

Please don't ever stop with these responses whenever Fitz comes up. Holy sheet it's like instead of giving you a season of bad QBing, Fitz bent your wife over backwards and smashed, raided your fridge to make a honey ham and provolone sandwich, went back and treated your wife like a bowling ball, and just to rub it all in, took his .44 and shot your daughter in the calf muscle. All while you watched...

The NY Jets have been my team since birth I was lucky to witness Super Bowl 3 at 6 years old. I was a season ticket holder for 20+ years I eat sleep and breath NY Jets football and I bleed green. When the organization makes stupid insane moronic moves such as Ryan Fitzpatrick twice once was bad enough. I think I have earned the right to bitch moan and complain. I stand by my comments about Fitzpatrick even during the 2015 season when many fans were anointing him into the Hall of Fame and licking his balls over meaningless wins. My recommendation to those fans shave the beards and drop the jersey and FitzMagic t-shirts off in the nearest clothing bin he sucks ass and won nothing here. 

Kindly leave my family out of the discussion. Thanks 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

How to rob money from teams in the NFL and how to throw INT's 

Get over it already. You're going to give yourself medical problems with all this stuff towards Fitz. Maxman does not provide medical insurance to the posters on this site for fragile minded egos. You're like a little girl who received a carnation instead of a rose on her prom night and didn't go to the dance because of it. It's been 47 -48 years since that carnation. Smell the roses. They will bloom next draft. 

3 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Get over it already. You're going to give yourself medical problems with all this stuff towards Fitz. Maxman does not provide medical insurance to the posters on this site for fragile minded egos. You're like a little girl who received a carnation instead of a rose on her prom night and didn't go to the dance because of it. It's been 47 -48 years since that carnation. Smell the roses. They will bloom next draft. 

Im over it. :D

You supported Ryan Fitzpatrick. Enough said. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

IN 2015 the NY Jets had the easiest schedule in the NFL and only beat 2 teams with winning records. 

Fitzpatrick was in the right place at the right time. 

And a ton of luck as well. 

11 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I hear what you are saying but I respectfully disagree. 

Yes you are right that other Jets stunk up the joint last year but no one was as bad as Fitz was.... NO ONE!!!!

And here is an article that I have posted previously but I think that it is worth posting again when anyone says that Fitz was no more culpable than anyone else.. So here it goes:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18226665/ryan-fitzpatrick-historically-bad-2016

Future employers beware: Ryan Fitzpatrick has been historically bad in 2016

• gargiulo_henry.png&w=160&h=160&scale=cro
    Hank GargiuloESPN Analytics

Ryan Fitzpatrick has not looked like the player who nearly fueled a playoff run in 2015. Rhona Wise/EPA

At halftime of an eventual Monday night loss to the Indianapolis Colts, New York Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick was pulled following a disappointing 5-for-12 showing that included just 81 passing yards and his 14th interception of the season -- tied for the second most of any QB so far this year. Fitzpatrick's 24.6 Total QBR against the Colts was his second-worst performance of the season (only his 5.5 against the Chiefs in Week 3 is worse), and also the second-worst of his two-season tenure with the Jets.

Fitzpatrick has struggled all season and now has been replaced as the starting quarterback twice this season (the first time came after Week 6 when Geno Smith took over, before Smith's injury early in Week 7 necessitated a Fitzpatrick return). All this on the heels of a career year in 2015. What has happened to turn Fitz from the unquestioned starter on a 10-6 team to a twice-benched journeyman who will probably end up on his seventh team in 13 seasons next year?

Interceptions

The most noticeable issue facing Fitzpatrick is his poor interception rate. It isn't so much that the volume of interceptions is off the charts, but when you factor in his low number of attempts compared to QBs who have thrown a similar number of picks, his rate is downright alarming. In a season that is on pace to have the lowest percentage of passes intercepted in league history (2.1 percent, which would break the previous record set last season at 2.4 percent), Fitzpatrick has had 4.1 percent of his attempts picked this season, by far the highest rate of any qualified QB this season (the next-closest is the also-benched Case Keenum at 3.5 percent). This has occurred after back-to-back seasons in which Fitzpatrick he posted near-career-low interception rates of 2.7 percent in 2015 and 2.6 percent in 2014.

This year the interceptions have also been especially costly in terms of expected points added. As we have mentioned in the past, not all interceptions are created equal. A deep interception on a third-and-long isn't as damaging as an interception on an early down near the goal line. If we take a look at the quarterbacks' portion of the EPA lost on their interceptions, nobody has been more damaging in aggregate than Fitzpatrick.

Fitzpatrick has thrown five interceptions in the red zone this season; no other quarterback has thrown more than two. The five red-zone picks are tied for the second-most a QB has thrown in a season since 2001, behind only Jay Cutler's six in 2009. Last season, Fitzpatrick threw only one red-zone pick.

Pressure problems

Another area where Fitzpatrick is down big from 2015 is his performance while pressured. Last year he compiled a 71.5 raw QBR while pressured, the second-best mark in the league (the NFL average last season was 28.9 while pressured), but this season he has a 12.2 raw QBR while pressured, 29th out of 31 qualified quarterbacks. (The league average is 34.7 this season.)

Fitzpatrick image by AP Photo/Kathy Willens

For more from ESPN Analytics, visit the ESPN Analytics Index.

i, for one, still don't get the fitz hatred.  you can blame mac and bowles for continuing to pursue him up until training camp.  and you can blame geno too because he obviously did more than just provoke IK in bowles eyes.  when the rest of the team plays so badly you could have joe willie back there and it wouldn't make much difference.  as a matter of fact i remember those joe willie years after sb 3 when he didn't have much talent and the team stunk.  and, in spite of it all, they could've easily gone 8-8.  it's a team game.  and even though the qb position is the most important one the rest of the players can make or break a season.

1 hour ago, August said:

well, i guess people focus on the offense more than the defense when talking about the game.  it's a passing league and fitz was able to take that offense and make it play pretty well.  marshall came through.  decker came through.  enunwa, ivory etc.  and for the first time in about 4 seasons they had an offense that could be counted to make plays.  the defense?  i believe they had a plus 11 turnover ratio.  in any case it was positive and there were players making plays.

it's very hard to say what happened last season that caused such a slump by all of the players.

Just now, rangerous said:

i, for one, still don't get the fitz hatred.  you can blame mac and bowles for continuing to pursue him up until training camp.  and you can blame geno too because he obviously did more than just provoke IK in bowles eyes.  when the rest of the team plays so badly you could have joe willie back there and it wouldn't make much difference.  as a matter of fact i remember those joe willie years after sb 3 when he didn't have much talent and the team stunk.  and, in spite of it all, they could've easily gone 8-8.  it's a team game.  and even though the qb position is the most important one the rest of the players can make or break a season.

First and foremost thank you for the responsible response.  You disagree with me without being disagreeable and I really do appreciate that.

Second I don't hate Fitz at all. I followed Fitz carefully since his days in Buffalo, since I used to live there.

I for one wanted him brought in initially and was happy the Jets got him.  I just think he did an awful job last year that impacted the entire team.  Indeed while many out here say so and so had the worst game they ever saw, the statistics show that Fitz Chief's game was it's own category, read for yourself:  https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ryan-fitzpatrick-just-earned-the-lowest-pff-grade-weve-ever-given-a-qb/

Third bad QB play today is not like it was when I was kid and Namath was under center.  Then RBs for example were far more influential to winning then in today's pass happy NFL. Poor QB play today can bury a franchise.  I dare say that you swap out Fitz for Brady or a Rogers and I bet you we make the playoffs last year at least and that is taking into account all of the injuries we had, poor OL play and bad drops by WRs.

So yes it is a team game, but with the current rules which are designed for so so play across the board you must have a solid QB to compete and Fitz didn't do the job. And no I don't blame Fitz alone, its a team game as you correctly state but when you are the man in charge when things don't go well you have to take the primary responsibility for the outcomes. 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i, for one, still don't get the fitz hatred. 

Well he sucked in the most important game of the 2015 season. was horrible last year and then acted like a prima donna p_ssy when he got benched after playing poorly

Other than that Fitz is a good guy

I can see McCown getting trashed by the same haters as Fitz did even though he had a good year in 2015. Mediocre arm everything his fault. After watching Fitz last year I'm hoping that McCown is smarter and when in trouble gives us a better chance to win and makes good decisions. That was the problem with Fitz last year. He wasn't afraid to take a chance to a fault. When trailing. But it did not translate into wins or good starts it was usually bad decision making. Fitz was not terrible all of 2016 most of his bad stats were in a few terrible games. 

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I can see McCown getting trashed by the same haters as Fitz did even though he had a good year in 2015. Mediocre arm everything his fault. After watching Fitz last year I'm hoping that McCown is smarter and when in trouble gives us a better chance to win and makes good decisions. That was the problem with Fitz last year. He wasn't afraid to take a chance to a fault. When trailing. But it did not translate into wins or good starts it was usually bad decision making. Fitz was not terrible all of 2016 most of his bad stats were in a few terrible games. 

This is comedic gold. 

Fitz decision making, turnovers and interceptable passes in general that killed drives are the reason why "fans" (Not haters) trashed Fitz last year, even in the face of Fitz supporters. 

His 2015 season didnt mean anything because it was an outlier year based on what his entire career already told us, as well as a complete week 17 meltdown with the post season on the line. 2016 only confirmed what us "haters" was saying all last offseason. 

The more time we use wasting time on guys like McCown and Fitz the more we'll be dealing with the occasional outlier year, unnecessary 12 million dollar resignings and the eventual typical results, which is overpaying for crap quarterbacks that shouldnt be starting or on the team in the first place. 

And Fitz was indeed terrible throughout all of 2016. The dude was benched multiple times and lost his job to every other QB on the team not named Hackenberg...and he would have lost his job to Hack if not for the redshirt year.

Lets remove the INT's since Fitz defenders love to talk about how 6 of his 17 INT's came in one game. lets talk about the 12 TD's he threw in 14 games played. the under 3,000 yards passing in 14 games played, the 54% completion rate in 14 games. Fitz had 7 games where he completed less than 55% of his passes, 5 of those games he completed 50% or less with 1 of those games completing 38% of his passes on 21 attempts. Fitz had an 8 game stretch where he threw just 1 TD or less. That's half the f'ing season. However, to be more precise, that's more than half the season for Fitz given that he only played in 14 games. Whats worse is, he broke his game stretch of 1 TD or less with a 2 TD performance, then followed that 2TD performance up with 3 consecutive games where he threw 0 TD's. So in that 3 game stretch he threw 0TD's yet threw 4 INT's. Whats worse of all you ask? This is in the month of December....EXACTLY WHAT I SAID HE DOES EVERY YEAR IN DECEMBER.

Anyone who goes back to my original gripe on Fitz I break down how this guy destroys all his teams late in the season. Fitz played 3 games in December and had a 0TD-4INT ratio. You're kidding yourself saying that this dude didnt have a terrible season. Absolutely kidding yourself. In Fitz 14 games, 11 of them he threw for 1 TD or less with 5 of those 11 games he had no TD's. How is that NOT terrible? So you say Fitz wasnt terrible the entire season....well, he was terrible for atleast the majority of the season. And honestly he only had 2 solid games, week 2 against Buffalo and our first meeting with the Patriots. The rest the guy was absolute trash. He has 3 games where he threw for 2TD's in a game, 0 games where he threw 3 or more, though he had 4 games where he threw 2 or more INT's with two of those games being 3 or more INT's. 

Now, back to the INT's. And lets not talk about all of the dropped INT's he had on the season. He had 2 dropped INT's in that Chiefs game which he already threw 6 picks in. He had a pick 6 dropped by Earl Thomas in that Seattle game. He had the most picks in the league throughout the majority of the season and had the highest Interception %age in the league amongst starters. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick was dirt trash. Please stop damage controlling while calling people who knew what Fitz was "haters".  Haters are people who are pissed that someone is successful. Fitz was terrible and was never successful. His "glorious" 2015 campaign was summed up with a week 17 meltdown with 3 INT's in the 4th quarter in the last game of the season with the playoffs on the line against his old team and our former coach. It's not how you start (the start of 2015) but how you finish (the end of 2015 and all of 2016). Please stop defending this dude's notorious career. The dude is a tease. Worse than Jay Cutler. 

Jameis Winston should be petrified right now. Every team Fitz has gone to in his career the starter got hurt. 

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Those of us that hated Fitzpatrick even during the 2015 season saw  through the smoke and mirrors (easiest schedule in the NFL) we knew the choke down was coming like he did so many times before. 7 teams in 14 years. 

I hope to never see McCown take a snap during a regular season NFL game as a NY Jet. (not wishing myself dead, wishing he never plays) 

1 hour ago, jetfan39 said:

why do we even have a 6 page thread on someone who isn't even on the team anymore and most of us are trying to forget?

At least we're past comparing sanchez with Chad Henne. 

Archived