Jets Waive Devin Smith

UntouchableCrew

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Why? What is the benefit of dropping him? He's injured and won't play this year so he would have been on IR all year. So what is the benefit of dropping him towards the future?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

If the Jets put Smith directly on IR, he would count against toward the 90-man roster. This is a procedural move to get him on IR. #nyj

2 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Why? What is the benefit of dropping him? He's injured and won't play this year so he would have been on IR all year. So what is the benefit of dropping him towards the future?

I think the main reason is that it gives them another spot on the expanded roster.  He is hurt, so he isn't going anywhere.  I am not sure, but I think these guys still have to be waived before they can be placed on IR anyway.  

I can still see this kid having some form of NFL career along the lines of Heyward-Bey.  If his legs aren't shot and he is willing to work, he was supposed to be a plug and play gunner.

Just now, MDL_JET said:

If the Jets put Smith directly on IR, he would count against toward the 90-man roster. This is a procedural move to get him on IR. #nyj

Don't really care about losing Smith, but how likely is it that the new addition to the 90 day roster will ever play a down?  Probably less likely that Smith some day contributing.

23 minutes ago, win4ever said:

He was waived/injured -- likely a procedural move before placing him on IR.  As a non-vested veteran, he needs to clear waivers before we can place him on IR.

The guy was a gamer at OSU and came up big in some of their most important games. Loved drafting a deep threat with a winning pedigree that had Desean Jackson comps.

Injuries are the culprit here, not bad drafting... this wasn't a Vlad Ducasse 2nd rounder. After that broken rib he looked like he was coming around until he tore the ACL. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/devin-smith?id=2552459 

42 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I know the SOJF contingent will eat this up, but Robbie Anderson has effectively negated the loss/suckiness of Smith. As a rookie this past year Anderson was 6th in receptions despite being buried on the depth chart to start the season. 

.....and a QB with a pea shooter for an arm

39 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

If he's waived, wouldn't he be free to sign with anyone?  Ala Milliner?

38 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think the main reason is that it gives them another spot on the expanded roster.  He is hurt, so he isn't going anywhere.  I am not sure, but I think these guys still have to be waived before they can be placed on IR anyway.  

I can still see this kid having some form of NFL career along the lines of Heyward-Bey.  If his legs aren't shot and he is willing to work, he was supposed to be a plug and play gunner.

I thought it was frowned upon to claim guys on IR even though they were technically waived.  I remember some hoopla when the Pats picked up some guy on IR from the Bucs a couple of years ago (Demps I think).  Is it just straight waived with Smith or IR designated waiver?

I kinda figured his days were numbered with Cannon being picked up because 3 years of Cannon at minimum pay is probably worth more than 2 of Smith at 2nd round pay.  

I would love to see him play with a legit QB and be healthy because I actually liked him coming out.  He tracks the deep ball well and I thought he could be a stud in the slot if we actually had a QB that threw the ball deep while he was playing.  

19 minutes ago, Lith said:

He was waived/injured -- likely a procedural move before placing him on IR.  As a non-vested veteran, he needs to clear waivers before we can place him on IR.

If it's just IR designation, then I understand, but wouldn't they just put him on IR at the start of the season, rather than now?

1 minute ago, win4ever said:

f it's just IR designation, then I understand, but wouldn't they just put him on IR at the start of the season, rather than now?

Pretty sure we are right up against the 90-man offseason roster limit.  It frees up the roster spot by doing it now.

19 minutes ago, win4ever said:

If he's waived, wouldn't he be free to sign with anyone?  Ala Milliner?

I thought it was frowned upon to claim guys on IR even though they were technically waived.  I remember some hoopla when the Pats picked up some guy on IR from the Bucs a couple of years ago (Demps I think).  Is it just straight waived with Smith or IR designated waiver?

I kinda figured his days were numbered with Cannon being picked up because 3 years of Cannon at minimum pay is probably worth more than 2 of Smith at 2nd round pay.  

I would love to see him play with a legit QB and be healthy because I actually liked him coming out.  He tracks the deep ball well and I thought he could be a stud in the slot if we actually had a QB that threw the ball deep while he was playing.  

If it's just IR designation, then I understand, but wouldn't they just put him on IR at the start of the season, rather than now?

Don't remember it with Demps.  I remember Coughlin getting all pissy with Belichick over them picking up the TE Ballard who had a torn ACL.  I don't think this matters much one way or the other.  They can IR him or pick him back up if they like.  

I don't count much on Cannon.  IMO, he is a Jarvis Harrison type knucklehead and he is likely not going to last very long if he hasn't learned his lesson. 

18 minutes ago, Lith said:

Pretty sure we are right up against the 90-man offseason roster limit.  It frees up the roster spot by doing it now.

I guess it makes some sense, but honestly I don't know much about how the IR system works when it comes to releasing.  

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Don't remember it with Demps.  I remember Coughlin getting all pissy with Belichick over them picking up the TE Ballard who had a torn ACL.  I don't think this matters much one way or the other.  They can IR him or pick him back up if they like.  

I don't count much on Cannon.  IMO, he is a Jarvis Harrison type knucklehead and he is likely not going to last very long if he hasn't learned his lesson. 

If they can pick him back up and IR him instead of him signing with someone else then I have no problems with it.  I saw it as, they released him to get someone else on the 90 man roster because I just didn't think that was worth it right now.  

He's an idiot off the field, but I think he has immense talent on the field.  In a way, he reminds me of Anderson type gamble in that Robby fell because he had academic issues at Temple.  However, their on the field talent screams a mid round pick talent.  Cannon doesn't run many routes but he has great speed and acceleration on the field, and he had great chemistry with Petty in his freshman year.  

Assuming we keep Decker, I think he's on the outside looking in right now, but I have him as the 7th WR right now, with Decker/Enunwa/Anderson/Stewart/Peake/Hansen.  If one of them gets hurt or we move on from Decker, then I think Cannon makes the team.  

Feel awful for the kid.  Wouldn't mind bringing him back if they go the IR route.  Unfortunately for him we've found a bunch of young guys who have shown that they can play in this league.  It's not like Milliner where the guy had an extensive history in college either...he's just had some really bad breaks (no pun intended).  Doesn't make his selection a bad pick...just a really unfortunate situation where the guy just kept getting hurt.  It happens.  Hopefully Maye breaks that 2nd round curse.

5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

didn't he catch more passes than hill?  hill wasn't injured just a slacker. it's just another sad tale by a jet high round draftee.  maybe he'll be back.

How about maybe they just try drafting good, all around WRs, who were productive in college, that would be a good start. Kinda why I like the two guys from this year's draft. Not flashy but good all around prospects who were productive in their given offense. 

Hill was combine hype and Smith did nothing but catch go routes on a loaded team. 

Another sign of them turning over the roster... Give some other guys a chance instead of holding onto someone just because they were a 2nd round pick... I wish him well and I feel bad it didn't work out for him, but I'm excited to see some other guys now step up and make a name for themselves.

Archived