Jets Waive Devin Smith

UntouchableCrew

10 hours ago, thadude said:

The next 2nd round pick to get cut after 2 seasons

That analysis is pretty weak.  There was one throw (around 6:55) where the WRs were absolutely not open so Hack threw it into the ground.  It was the right move on Hack's part but the guy "analyzing" the play was like "he just wanted to show Todd Bowles he could throw it in the vicinity".

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, win4ever said:

If he's waived, wouldn't he be free to sign with anyone?  Ala Milliner?

I thought it was frowned upon to claim guys on IR even though they were technically waived.  I remember some hoopla when the Pats picked up some guy on IR from the Bucs a couple of years ago (Demps I think).  Is it just straight waived with Smith or IR designated waiver?

I kinda figured his days were numbered with Cannon being picked up because 3 years of Cannon at minimum pay is probably worth more than 2 of Smith at 2nd round pay.  

I would love to see him play with a legit QB and be healthy because I actually liked him coming out.  He tracks the deep ball well and I thought he could be a stud in the slot if we actually had a QB that threw the ball deep while he was playing.  

If it's just IR designation, then I understand, but wouldn't they just put him on IR at the start of the season, rather than now?

Thats all I heard about when he got drafted....he tracks the deep ball well, etc but in games it really didnt happen all that much. Honestly, I was pretty disappointed that the Jets drafted another WR with limited catches in college but can run fast. Sounds too familiar. Yes he had some big catches in college but not a lot...and whatever he had to show at this level never got a chance to happen. I was rooting for him after he was here but I jut got tired of hearing that he wasnt available on game day. 

39 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Thats all I heard about when he got drafted....he tracks the deep ball well, etc but in games it really didnt happen all that much. Honestly, I was pretty disappointed that the Jets drafted another WR with limited catches in college but can run fast. Sounds too familiar. Yes he had some big catches in college but not a lot...and whatever he had to show at this level never got a chance to happen. I was rooting for him after he was here but I jut got tired of hearing that he wasnt available on game day. 

In games with the worst deep ball thrower in the league . 

12 hours ago, flgreen said:

No, Not really.  Hill sucked but compared to Smith..................................................................................

Both in Two years

Hill:      45 receptions....594 Yards..............4 TD's

Smith: 10 receptions....135 Yards..............1 TD

But Smith's problem is that he couldn't stay healthy. Not that he necessarily sucked. Hill was just awful as a player.

Stephen Hill has at least 2 ACL tears.  I think he had more of a problem with substance abuse than this supposed sucking.  His catch rate was fairly horrid, but didn't compare poorly with Santonio Holmes during the same period.  The guy was basically thrust into being the #1 WR on the team from like his 5th game with some truly awful QB play. 

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Stephen Hill has at least 2 ACL tears.  I think he had more of a problem with substance abuse than this supposed sucking.  His catch rate was fairly horrid, but didn't compare poorly with Santonio Holmes during the same period.  The guy was basically thrust into being the #1 WR on the team from like his 5th game with some truly awful QB play. 

Hill and Devin are the same type of receivers.  Neither ran a full route tree in college.  Neither really knew how to play the position they were just really good at running in a straight line in pajamas

If the jets bring back Smith it would be a waste of time

6 minutes ago, thadude said:

Hill and Devin are the same type of receivers.  Neither ran a full route tree in college.  Neither really knew how to play the position they were just really good at running in a straight line in pajamas

If the jets bring back Smith it would be a waste of time

As usual, everything with you is so definitive.  Devin Smith was supposedly the #1 gunner in college football.  Bullsh*t quotes about the 40 don't change that.  They don't change Hill's performance in the gauntlet either, but hey the guy can only run fast without pads.  Never mind that Carolina was set to start him in 2015 before he blew his knee out. 

27 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Neither could catch the ball very well. 

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

But Smith's problem is that he couldn't stay healthy. Not that he necessarily sucked. Hill was just awful as a player.

Neither were good NFL players.   Smith was/is a one trick pony who couldn't stay on the field.  Hill was a combine wonder who, because of the college  O caught like 40 passes in his NCAA career.

Both busts, Hill caught more passes

11 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Neither were good NFL players.   Smith was/is a one trick pony who couldn't stay on the field.  Hill was a combine wonder who, because of the college  O caught like 40 passes in his NCAA career.

Both busts, Hill caught more passes

Not fair to talk about what Smith was when we never really go to see him play. Plenty of guys with Smith's skillset have had good NFL careers. Smith could have been a deep threat with the ability to create if he got the ball in space. I always thought his ceiling was DeSean Jackson. But he couldn't stay healthy. So it was what it was. We never got to find out.  Hill just flat out stunk. He wasn't any good.

he was a monster bust and I knew he would be from day one and said it-sadly it is easy to see most of the jets picks are going to bust out but yet we have to wait "for them to develop" and hear for 3 years how great the player will be and her from our garbage gms how he was the best guy on the board....

Hack is the next guy to bust out that we have to wait for .....

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Not fair to talk about what Smith was when we never really go to see him play. Plenty of guys with Smith's skillset have had good NFL careers. Smith could have been a deep threat with the ability to create if he got the ball in space. I always thought his ceiling was DeSean Jackson. But he couldn't stay healthy. So it was what it was. We never got to find out.  Hill just flat out stunk. He wasn't any good.

Actually I got to see Smith play quite a bit at OSU.  he was a one trick pony.  Wasn't happy at all when the Jets drafted him.  What little we did get to see Smith in the NFL wasn't very impressive.  Like Hill he was fast, not as fast as hill, or as tall.  Also like Hill  He really struggled running routes.  

Here's what Gailey had to say about him. 

"Gailey gave a surprisingly downbeat assessment of the rookie wide receiver Thursday, making it clear the team doesn’t expect a big contribution from the Ohio State product anytime soon.

“He’s struggled integrating into the whole system,” Gailey said. “He did certain things in college that were in their system, and getting involved in the whole system [with the Jets] — it’s been a longer process than any of us thought it would be."

Like I said, they both sucked, Hill just got to catch more balls in the same time span

this is what I said about him when picked

I would MUCH rather have chosen a WR that actually was a ball hawk and was known for running great routes and catching tons of passes

we drafted a one trick pony who will be trying to get separation vs bigger faster stronger wrs than in college

say hello to stephen hill part two or as I said Johnny Lam another guy that was a one trick pony the jets drafted high

8 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

The injuries really killed him, but Fitzpatrick also hurt him bad.  I remember the analysis on the Dolphins game I did a couple of years ago, and he was open like 3-4 times on deep passes where a competent QB with an arm could hit him for TD but Fitz sucked.  It was similar to Robby Anderson running down the field last year, while Fitz ignored him.  The tragedy of the matter is, he was drafted for Geno Smith because he needed a deep threat to make Marshall/Decker/Enunwa more effective.  With Fitz, the deep threat got eliminated, which pretty much sealed the fate for Smith (and Anderson for most of last year).  

The roster construction was pretty clear in surrounding Geno with talent.  Smith was the deep threat, Decker/Marshall intermediate, Enunwa as a wildcard, with Ivory/Powell in the backfield.  For Geno, they needed safeties to back off with a deep threat, and then have a bruising back in Ivory cause issues up front.  Either you had your LBs/S up to protect against Ivory and missed tackles or you had to deal one on one with Devin Smith.  When Fitz got in there, the whole plan went awry because he took away the deep safety aspect on his own.  I think that's why they went after Forte last year, so he could stretch the field horizontally instead of vertically from the backfield.  

Also, apparently he went unclaimed on waivers and is on IR, so obviously it made sense to waive him and I was wrong.  

I remember there was at least 1 game where I thought Devin Smith had some potential.  He caught like 3-4 passes that day (IIRC) and seemed like he could be more than a 1-trick pony who only caught the deep ball.  Of course, it was not to be.  

Stephen Hill I remember hating the pick because they said he didn't really know how to run a route tree.  I'm certainly no expert but it seems as if WRs who are really good at running routes tend to be successful (e.g. Amari Cooper).  I figured best case scenario he'd start being useful in year 3 but more than likely he'd be cut by us after getting 2-3 years of teaching and then going elsewhere and maybe flourishing.  So far it seems as if he isn't even flourishing elsewhere either (though he was somewhat useful in Carolina I think).

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I remember there was at least 1 game where I thought Devin Smith had some potential.  

That was the second Miami game in 2015.  He actually caught a touchdown in that game.  Ofcourse it helped that the Dolphins defense had given up by then,

11 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

As usual, everything with you is so definitive.  Devin Smith was supposedly the #1 gunner in college football.  Bullsh*t quotes about the 40 don't change that.  They don't change Hill's performance in the gauntlet either, but hey the guy can only run fast without pads.  Never mind that Carolina was set to start him in 2015 before he blew his knee out. 

Are you seriously still defending Stephen Hill?

16 hours ago, flgreen said:

Actually I got to see Smith play quite a bit at OSU.  he was a one trick pony.  Wasn't happy at all when the Jets drafted him.  What little we did get to see Smith in the NFL wasn't very impressive.  Like Hill he was fast, not as fast as hill, or as tall.  Also like Hill  He really struggled running routes.  

Here's what Gailey had to say about him. 

"Gailey gave a surprisingly downbeat assessment of the rookie wide receiver Thursday, making it clear the team doesn’t expect a big contribution from the Ohio State product anytime soon.

“He’s struggled integrating into the whole system,” Gailey said. “He did certain things in college that were in their system, and getting involved in the whole system [with the Jets] — it’s been a longer process than any of us thought it would be."

Like I said, they both sucked, Hill just got to catch more balls in the same time span

Well, considering the majority of this board spent all of last season bashing Gailey, I think it's fair to say that just because an OC has an opinion on a player, doesn't mean he's definitely right.

Lots of people praised that pick when the Jets made it. Smith was a true receiver. Hill was always going to be a project. He played in a college system that didnt focus on getting him the football. He was much more of an unknown that Smith was when he came into the league. Teams need guys like Smith who can potentially blown the top off of defenses. It didn't work out.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to argue that Smith is good. I just wish he stayed healthy so we could judge for ourselves. But his skill set was a bad match with Fitz anyway. I remember Fitz trying to throw him deep balls early in the 2015 season and it being a disaster. In the end Smith was a bust. I just wish it was because he was terrible on the field instead of it being because he couldn't get on the field.

10 hours ago, thadude said:

Are you seriously still defending Stephen Hill?

Not the player, but the idea that life is so simple.  How dare anyone draft a player based on the 40!  Even at the combine, it wasn't "how fast he ran in pajamas" that stood out.  Hill was less a combine warrior than Byron Jones.  Some guys work out, some guys don't. 

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Not the player, but the idea that life is so simple.  How dare anyone draft a player based on the 40!  Even at the combine, it wasn't "how fast he ran in pajamas" that stood out.  Hill was less a combine warrior than Byron Jones.  Some guys work out, some guys don't. 

I think there has to be more than scouting that's the issue here. The Jets really suck at developing talent. Look at Hill, Pryor, Smith (Geno), Ducasse, the list goes on and on. Seems like these guys actually have talent, just not developed to any degree. That needs to change.

On 5/22/2017 at 10:26 PM, Mogglez said:

I'm failing to understand how any of that is relevant to him breaking his ribs and ripping his ACL twice.  You know, the reasons that he was waived.

You're telling me that when he isn't on the field, a young, 25 year old, millionaire athlete enjoys going out and having legal fun in one of the greatest cities in the world for such an activity?  

I, for one, am shocked and appalled.

well, i think what the poster was saying that he didn't want to take care of his body.

He's made i think around 3mm in cash earnings so far.  after taxes and agent fees he's probably netted about 1.5mm.  how much you think he's got left??

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

Troy Polumalu gave Hill the shot that made him realize he wanted no part of this pro game.

troy-polamalu-hit-on-stephen-hill.gif

A lot of people say that, but he has had about three knee surgeries since then and probably needed one at the time he made this play.  Man, that ball was late.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

We drafted Hill over Russel Wilson when both the HC and scouting director wanted him

He's one of the worst busts this franchise ever had

Archived