Chad Pennington Question

TuscanyTile2

Can you think of an NFL QB with a weaker arm than Chadwick?  Let's limit it to 1980 or later.  I can't think of any but wondering if I'm forgetting someone.  I still can't get out of my mind how when Chad would need to throw a hail mary that it was a virtual guarantee he would throw a 2 yard dump off (just like every other pass he threw).  I never understood why they didn't replace him w/ the backup for those hail marys.

To Chad's credit, he won a lot of games with that noodle arm.  If there ever was an arm strength to wins ratio, Chad would probably be at the top of the list.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Can you think of an NFL QB with a weaker arm than Chadwick?  Let's limit it to 1980 or later.  I can't think of any but wondering if I'm forgetting someone.  I still can't get out of my mind how when Chad would need to throw a hail mary that it was a virtual guarantee he would throw a 2 yard dump off (just like every other pass he threw).  I never understood why they didn't replace him w/ the backup for those hail marys.

To Chad's credit, he won a lot of games with that noodle arm.  If there ever was an arm strength to wins ratio, Chad would probably be at the top of the list.

Those floaters he would throw to Coles were so painful to watch. It was like watching a car accident about to happen in slow motion.

13 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

chaddy certainly brought some serious hope to the jets when he first filled in for vinny.  he certainly brought some good qb play to the jets.  it's too bad he was injured so much.  as far as arm strength, he showed some deep ball ability even after his shoulder was injured but it also looked like he had maybe one deep throw in him per game. early on it almost looked like he purposely avoided the deep throw in favor of the short to medium.  i do think he was exposed quite a bit in the raiders playoff game.

8 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

I watched many practices at Hofstra and saw first hand that Pennngton had very good arm strength pre injuries / surgeries.

After that he was down there with Fitz.

BTW anyone elase remember Pat Ryans floating ducks?

Before the injuries Pennington's throws did have more velocity.  I also think the bajillion injuries also affected his mechanics and accuracy.  I remember in 2002 Pennington making balls accurate throws to receivers running fade and go routes.  By 2005 Chad had trouble hitting receivers 5 yards away

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

Those floaters he would throw to Coles were so painful to watch. It was like watching a car accident about to happen in slow motion.

The thing is that duo completed a lot of those 'hold your breath when is the ball going to get there' passes.

46 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The thing is that duo completed a lot of those 'hold your breath when is the ball going to get there' passes.

They did, I just always thought, this is the one that Coles won't get up from. He was a tough little WR.

2 hours ago, NoBowles said:

They did, I just always thought, this is the one that Coles won't get up from. He was a tough little WR.

Pre injury Penny throwing to the man in your avatar could have legit rewritten the record books.

Pennington had the weakest arm I've ever seen even back in 2002, I was shocked he was completing anything and when the Raiders  finally dressed him down in playoffs he was never the same. Worst QB ever 

Chad was my favorite since Namath, just ahead of O'Brien.

Chad should be a coach.... heck he could our QB coach

One of the highest percentage passers we have seen.

Plenty of of arm strength pre injury...not Favre strong but enough

Pre-injury chad had enough arm strength. Without injuries he would have been our first true franchise quarterback since Namath. 

Who knows what he could have done with the talent we had 2008-2010, if he never got hurt.

But we don't live in a world of ifs. 

Cause if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

14 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Chad Pennington was the worst quarterback in Jets history.

Teased enough to eat up the 6 best seasons of the Bill Parcells roster, only played fully in 3 of them.  Complete disaster.

SAR I

On 5/23/2017 at 7:03 AM, CTM said:

Pennington had the weakest arm I've ever seen even back in 2002, I was shocked he was completing anything and when the Raiders  finally dressed him down in playoffs he was never the same. Worst QB ever 

22 hours ago, SAR I said:

Teased enough to eat up the 6 best seasons of the Bill Parcells roster, only played fully in 3 of them.  Complete disaster.

SAR I

Like a shiny brand new M5 with a lawn mower engine. People are impressed until you stomp on the gas. Chad made  his career in neutral going down hill. Failed miserably  as soon as he came to an incline

I've heard people say that Phil Simms had one of the weakest arms in NFL history.  At least for a SB winning QB.  I was really young then so I don't remember seeing many of his throws.  Actually, Simms was a pretty overrated QB to begin with.

Why the disrespect? As far as I'm concerned, Chad was the last true franchise QB this team ever had. We would have made it to at least the AFCCG had it not been for Doug Brien's incompetence one year. Had Chad stayed healthy, who knows how far we would have gone? 

17 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

His arm was a lot stronger than given credit for, it wasn't a rocket obviously and was weakened by multiple rotator cuff surgeries but he had an NFL arm and could make basically all the throws.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

giphy.gif?response_id=592464ad2f69549d09

The Bill Parcells roster never won a thing.  BP put us in cap hell and cost us a combo of Peyton and BB or (even better) Brady and BB.  BP was a great Coach, he was a terrible GM type.  Chad was an outstanding QB whose career was cut short due to injuries. 

1 hour ago, Freemanm said:

Why the disrespect? As far as I'm concerned, Chad was the last true franchise QB this team ever had. We would have made it to at least the AFCCG had it not been for Doug Brien's incompetence one year. Had Chad stayed healthy, who knows how far we would have gone? 

Here we go leaving out the fact that Chads offense scored 0 points that game..:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Here we go leaving out the fact that Chads offense scored 0 points that game..:rolleyes:

Chad deserves blame(though the O scored 3 pts) BUT he was playing through a torn rotator cuff on his throwing shoulder on the road against the #1 D in football that season. it's not like playing the Bills week 17 in 2015 or what favre did to us in 2008.  The bottom line is our K had 2 chances to kick makeable FGs for the win and failed.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

Chad deserves blame(though the O scored 3 pts) BUT he was playing through a torn rotator cuff on his throwing shoulder on the road against the #1 D in football that season. it's not like playing the Bills week 17 in 2015 or what favre did to us in 2008.  The bottom line is our K had 2 chances to kick makeable FGs for the win and failed.

Refresh my memory I thought the ST kicked field goals?? So if the kicker makes it the offense gets credit but if he misses it's on him??:blink:

Archived