Chad Pennington Question

TuscanyTile2

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Love you SAR, but on Penny v. Sanchez you're just wrong. So wrong it's not even worth debating tbqh. You're entitled to your historical fantasies, same as Geno fans.

Same here, love you, it's the offseason and I'm getting ready for vacation and don't want high drama.

I'm not into the mechanics of players; I'm just into the results.  Mark elevated his game in crunch time and in the postseason and Chad didn't.  That's really not debatable, but of course it's the simple way to view it.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Bill Parcells brought Mike Tannenbaum with him, promoted him, groomed him.  The players and picks and cap knowledge accumulated for the 5 years Parcells was here and advising Mr. Johnson plus the smooth GM transition to Mike Tannenbaum provided the Jets a 14 year run where we made the playoffs 6 times, had a winning record 8 times, went at least .500 10 times, and only had a losing season 4 times.

We were a joke doormat before Parcells and Tannenbaum, we are a joke doormat again after Parcells and Tannenbaum.  Enjoy.

SAR I

btw BP and MT we made the playoffs 3 of 5 seasons and won a div title but I agree firing Mike was the move that led us to where we are today.

How did it take me this long to even notice this thread?  I'm disappointed in myself.

Nothing quite makes me laugh like the constant repetitiveness of "before his injuries..."  Ultimately, that means all "proof" is dependent on believing that Chad's supposed value should be based on less than one full season of NFL play, with the rest of his extremely mediocre career not counting against him, just because he could never stay on the field.  When you need extra credit for even the smallest of accomplishments, and excuse from the blame of all failures, it kind of wipes out the validity of an argument.  More specifically, if you're citing the Jets/Steelers game as something positive for Chad, the argument has already disproved itself.

9 hours ago, CTM said:

Pennington had the weakest arm I've ever seen even back in 2002, I was shocked he was completing anything and when the Raiders  finally dressed him down in playoffs he was never the same. Worst QB ever 

3 hours ago, gEYno said:

Not to mention Chad's INT gave the Steelers 1st and 10 on the Jets 25.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I've been reloading this thread since the first post. It's great. Like reliving '06 JI without having to pay Sooth 50 bucks for it. 

Ah, the good ole days.

9 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

How did it take me this long to even notice this thread?  I'm disappointed in myself.

Nothing quite makes me laugh like the constant repetitiveness of "before his injuries..."  Ultimately, that means all "proof" is dependent on believing that Chad's supposed value should be based on less than one full season of NFL play, with the rest of his extremely mediocre career not counting against him, just because he could never stay on the field.  When you need extra credit for even the smallest of accomplishments, and excuse from the blame of all failures, it kind of wipes out the validity of an argument.  More specifically, if you're citing the Jets/Steelers game as something positive for Chad, the argument has already disproved itself.

Another negative is Chad in his career never had a td pass against the Steelers..

1 hour ago, OH THE PAIN said:

Chad is a Rhodes scholar ; Geno should be selling pretzels in the parking lot . 

No..... he is not a Rhodes scholar.   A Rhodes finalist and injury prone QB who won't even make the ring of  honor. 

I did like him for the 40 percent of his career he was a slightly above average QB. 

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

lol, they aren't remotely the same player or personality type... Fitz went to Harvard. That's where the whole cerebral QB thing ends with him.

As a QB he had Favre's gunslinger mentality and Penny's arm. Horrid combo. 

You guys equating Fitz to Penny because "smart = Harvard" generalize things to a level of stupidity that is mind blowing.

Another vomitous post by one of the resident pseudo-intellectuals.

They are both known as smart, game managing QB's, who had to overcome physical limitations with savvy play.

To deny those simple facts is a shameful attempt on your part to engage me in a duel.

Why don't you tag that puke @CTM and let him give this a whirl.  He's better at it.

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

2002 from week 16 through WC round he led our O to 37.6 PPG, threw 10 TDs and ZERO INTs, outplayed Tom Brady on the road(NE wouldn't lose another home game for THREE years), Brett favre and Peyton Manning. 

Oh and he led us in that stretch to only our SECOND EVER AFC East title(the last one we won by the way and the only non Brady div title in Brady era where he has been healthy)

He had a great 3 week stretch but give me a break.   We won the division at 9-7 that year and he was mediocre at best after that.  He also was a QB that was good enough to get us to 2 wildcard games but couldn't ever beat the legit good teams.  He was mostly a dud.

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Another vomitous post by one of the resident pseudo-intellectuals.

They are both known as smart, game managing QB's, who had to overcome physical limitations with savvy play.

To deny those simple facts is a shameful attempt on your part to engage me in a duel.

Why don't you tag that puke @CTM and let him give this a whirl.  He's better at it.

He is better at it. You're right.

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Chad has a nice complexion. 

According to Chad, he used to throw football with his mom on their front lawn. That's how he learned to throw.

No idea how big their front yard was, but it may explain the soft touch.

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Chad was one of the best.  Whats the big guy up to these days?

He coaches a JV High School team in West Virginia.

Coincidentally Mangini and Todd Bowles will be also doing the same thing in a couple years

16 hours ago, SAR I said:

"Rhodes Scholar". 

I'd rather have "numbskull jock" and wind up with Brett Favre or Terry Bradshaw.

SAR I

Candidate *  Rhode scholar candidate 

near as I can tell it means he applied and had sponsors, but he failed at that too 

The thing I remember is every year thete wpuld be reports of offseason workouts thst bettered his arm strength, and it would look good opening day then fall off a cliff. Fitzasshole wasn't much better but he kept heaving it as hard as he could

19 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Al Groh was the head coach.  Bill Parcells was the GM and ran the 2000 draft:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/myers-untold-story-tom-brady-drafted-jets-article-1.1975792

Do you really think that a team with 4 first round picks would give drafting authority to Al Groh?

Sorry this bursts your "Parcells did nothing for the Jets" theory.  You need to brush up on your history, understand who did what around here.

SAR I

15 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He had a great 3 week stretch but give me a break.   We won the division at 9-7 that year and he was mediocre at best after that.  He also was a QB that was good enough to get us to 2 wildcard games but couldn't ever beat the legit good teams.  He was mostly a dud.

It is truly amazing how some people will find any reason to laud Chad Pennington and thrust him to the Ring Of Honor yet these same people demonize Mark Sanchez and throw him under the bus.

Seems that if you fail while entertaining the mob by playing the sick puppy (Pennington) or the loudmouth bully (Rex) they love you forever in New York, but if you actually have talent and accomplishment they toss you away and hate you.

Some of these fans, truly out of their minds.

SAR I

On 5/22/2017 at 6:27 PM, Kevin L said:

Hard to say who had the weakest arm, but I remember Montana had a pretty weak arm.

Decision making and ball placement are more important than a strong arm, overall.

Old Montana on the Chiefs had a weak arm.  

Young Montana on the 49ers had an NFL arm.  Not Elway/ Marino, but definitely NFL quality.

5 minutes ago, OH THE PAIN said:

How many Jet QB's were better than Chad , tough guy ?

Joe Namath
Mark Sanchez
Vinny Testaverde
Richard Todd
Ken O'Brien
Ray Lucas
Ryan Fitzpatrick

In that order.

SAR I

Archived