Chad Pennington Question

TuscanyTile2

12 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Old Montana on the Chiefs had a weak arm.  

Young Montana on the 49ers had an NFL arm.  Not Elway/ Marino, but definitely NFL quality.

Yeah, he had an OK arm. Definitely not elite. He certainly relied more on touch and accuracy than strength. Having Rice run those slants in the WCO obviously helped.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Joe Namath
Mark Sanchez
Vinny Testaverde
Richard Todd
Ken O'Brien
Ray Lucas
Ryan Fitzpatrick

In that order.

SAR I

Joe. Ken. Vinny. Chad.

Our best QBs, in order.  No one else warrants consideration.

1 hour ago, OH THE PAIN said:

How many Jet QB's were better than Chad , tough guy ?

Namath, Obrien, and Sanchez all did more for the JETS in my opinion.   

TOdd maybe and Vinny absolutely but not long enough career. 

CHad was good but unreliable. 

2 hours ago, Kevin L said:

Yeah, he had an OK arm. Definitely not elite. He certainly relied more on touch and accuracy than strength. Having Rice run those slants in the WCO obviously helped.

He had already won 2 SB MVPs and there was already an early debate brewing over whether this skinny kid is the GOAT before Rozelle ever dreamed of receiving a card from the SF War Room with the name "Jerry Rice" on it. And throwing to the all world duo of Dwight Clarke (who was damn good but not Rice / Taylor) and Freddie Solomon.

If you're gonna give credit to anyone but Montana for what is still to me the greatest QB career of all time, then echo the name "Bill Walsh."

18 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He had a great 3 week stretch but give me a break.   We won the division at 9-7 that year and he was mediocre at best after that.  He also was a QB that was good enough to get us to 2 wildcard games but couldn't ever beat the legit good teams.  He was mostly a dud.

he was the 2nd best QB in football that year(after Rich Gannon).  Remember, we were beat up early and started 1-4/2-5 and won a very tough division where we had the beginning of the Pats dynasty(ONLY season Brady didn't win div title) and the last place team was a .500 team.

on the road at Ne preventing Brady from winning the div title(again, only one he didn't win) wasn't a legit good team?  NE wouldn't lose another game at home until THREE seasons later.

beating 12-3 GB w/ Favre when GB was playing for homefield in the NFC playoffs wasn't a win over a legit good team?

I hear all the time how Peyton was just the bestest QB of all time, he badly outplayed him in the playoffs.

2003 he beat a very good Ten team

In 2004 beat SD at SD twice and SD was a really good team w/ a young Brees.  also whipped Seattle who was a playoff team and would be a SB team a year later.

2006 beat NE on the road again, NE wouldn't lose another reg season home game w/ Brady until 2012.

Chad was outstanding, his career as just derailed by injuries.

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Al Groh was the head coach.  Bill Parcells was the GM and ran the 2000 draft:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/myers-untold-story-tom-brady-drafted-jets-article-1.1975792

Do you really think that a team with 4 first round picks would give drafting authority to Al Groh?

Sorry this bursts your "Parcells did nothing for the Jets" theory.  You need to brush up on your history, understand who did what around here.

SAR I

yes, BP said so back in 2000.  he just wanted to take credit later on when some of the moves worked.

52 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

He had already won 2 SB MVPs and there was already an early debate brewing over whether this skinny kid is the GOAT before Rozelle ever dreamed of receiving a card from the SF War Room with the name "Jerry Rice" on it. And throwing to the all world duo of Dwight Clarke (who was damn good but not Rice / Taylor) and Freddie Solomon.

If you're gonna give credit to anyone but Montana for what is still to me the greatest QB career of all time, then echo the name "Bill Walsh."

You're right, I forgot that Rice was drafted after the '84 SB.

I would never knock on Montana. He was my childhood sports hero.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Joe. Ken. Vinny. Chad.

Our best QBs, in order.  No one else warrants consideration.

Kenny never even won a playoff game something his backup Pat Ryan did..Hell he never even had a rushing td Namath had 7 wearing knee braces..:)

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Namath, Obrien, and Sanchez all did more for the JETS in my opinion.   

TOdd maybe and Vinny absolutely but not long enough career. 

CHad was good but unreliable. 

O'Brien did NOTHING for us, not a single playoff win w/ a loaded roster in a weak AFC.  Richard Todd led them to a title game, his backup won a playoff game in '86 but Ken couldn't win a single playoff game.

Sanchez wasn't the reg season QB Chad was but obviously stepped up in big games for us. 

Namath, Vinny, Chad and Sanchez are the best QBs in our history.

best single seasons?  Vinny '98 and Chad '02

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

It is truly amazing how some people will find any reason to laud Chad Pennington and thrust him to the Ring Of Honor yet these same people demonize Mark Sanchez and throw him under the bus.

Seems that if you fail while entertaining the mob by playing the sick puppy (Pennington) or the loudmouth bully (Rex) they love you forever in New York, but if you actually have talent and accomplishment they toss you away and hate you.

Some of these fans, truly out of their minds.

SAR I

They both suck.

The Jets have Joe Namath and 10 games of healthy Brett Favre.

28 minutes ago, gEYno said:

They both suck.

The Jets have Joe Namath and 10 games of healthy Brett Favre.

Namath is most overrated player in history and Favre sucked for most of those 10 games and sabotaged what could have been a SB season in a weak AFC.

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Namath is most overrated player in history and Favre sucked for most of those 10 games and sabotaged what could have been a SB season in a weak AFC.

You're a treasure. We take you for granted far too often.

53 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Kenny never even won a playoff game something his backup Pat Ryan did..Hell he never even had a rushing td Namath had 7 wearing knee braces..:)

I don't define "best" by being carried by others. Hence why Sanchez isn't on my list.

Ken was what he was, good and bad, and he was the 2nd best QB this franchise ever fielded. Had Vinny played 5 more good years, maybe he'd be better. Had Chad not been fragile, he would have been better. But no.

Judge for yourself. SAR thinks Sanchez is our #2 behind Namath. To each their own.

22 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

You're a treasure. We take you for granted far too often.

I am the most logical poster on the board.  you guys w/ your Joe Namath underoos are not objective.  the man's career was an incredible disappointment and Jet fans pretend like he was our Tom Brady. 

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If it were up to you Geno would be there instead, spare me.

excellent argument for Ken.

How about instead of posting foolishness you give me a good argument why Ken is one of the top 2-3 QBs in Jets history?

4 hours ago, Kevin L said:

Sure, having Rice helped.  He also won rings before he had Rice.

He didn't have a massive cannon arm.   Walsh wanted a guy with great feet to get the ball out.  Montana's feet were great.   Anywho, Chad out of college had an adequate arm.   Chad after duct taping his shoulder back together.... not so much.

Peyton's last season, by the end.   His arm was that bad.

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't define "best" by being carried by others. Hence why Sanchez isn't on my list.

Ken was what he was, good and bad, and he was the 2nd best QB this franchise ever fielded. Had Vinny played 5 more good years, maybe he'd be better. Had Chad not been fragile, he would have been better. But no.

Judge for yourself. SAR thinks Sanchez is our #2 behind Namath. To each their own.

he wasn't carried anywhere, w/ basically the same team as the great Brett favre against a tougher sched and Brady playing he helped us get to back to back title games. while Favre was dueling w/ Matt Cassell splitting games Sanchez was 3-2 against Brady his first 2 seasons.

You look at meaningless individual #s far too often.  we had a young team that made the 1982 AFC Championship Game, Ken was drafted in 1983.  he took over a 6-5 team in 1984 and we finished 7-9.  He had a great season in 1985 then failed to show for the playoff game, in 1986 he was off to a great start then was pathetic down the stretch as we went from 10-1 to 10-6 blowing  the division title.  He was benched for the WC game and his BACKUP led us to a playoff win, Ken had to come in at Cleveland after his backup got hurt and helped blow that game.  we next went to the playoffs in 1991 where Ken was great throwing 10 TDs and 11 INts(and making the pro bowl!) before throwing away another playoff game. 

In roughly 2 1/2 playoff games Ken threw 4 INTs and won zero, in 6 playoff games(all on the road) Sanchez threw 3 and won 4.

33 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I am the most logical poster on the board.  you guys w/ your Joe Namath underoos are not objective.  the man's career was an incredible disappointment and Jet fans pretend like he was our Tom Brady. 

excellent argument for Ken.

How about instead of posting foolishness you give me a good argument why Ken is one of the top 2-3 QBs in Jets history?

He's not especially with he had to work with Toon,Walker,Mickey Shuler and Freeman and the sack exchange D.. Some here grew up with Ken at QB but the fact we took Ken over Marino who was lighting it up with 2 5'9 wr's is something many of us will never forget..:angry:

19 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

He's not especially with he had to work with Toon,Walker,Mickey Shuler and Freeman and the sack exchange D.. Some here grew up with Ken at QB but the fact we took Ken over Marino who was lighting it up with 2 5'9 wr's is something many of us will never forget..:angry:

as a kid(and a young QB) I loved Ken, it wasn't until I was older and understood the game better that I realized he was holding us back all those years.  he put up some nice #s, had some great highlight reel throws so some overrate him but he was not a very good QB.

10 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Like I said: a treasure.

thanks.  I take that as a compliment from a hit and run poster who only tries to make fun of other posters and never engages in debate.

Great argument in favor of Joe by the way

Just now, nyjunc said:

thanks.  I take that as a compliment from a hit and run poster who only tries to make fun of other posters and never engages in debate.

Great argument in favor of Joe by the way

nyjunc, your welcome, and thank's

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

LOL cool troll bro.

But for real epic troll, shoulda said Geno.

I said in my opinion. You have yours.   Sanchez won 11 games in 2010.  Went to 2 AFC championship games etc. .  it's enough to support my opinion. You simply disagree.  

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

O'Brien did NOTHING for us, not a single playoff win w/ a loaded roster in a weak AFC.  Richard Todd led them to a title game, his backup won a playoff game in '86 but Ken couldn't win a single playoff game.

Sanchez wasn't the reg season QB Chad was but obviously stepped up in big games for us. 

Namath, Vinny, Chad and Sanchez are the best QBs in our history.

best single seasons?  Vinny '98 and Chad '02

2002??????   We were 9 and 7.    

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

2002??????   We were 9 and 7.    

Your point?  we won only our second EVER AFC East title, it's the only year Brady was healthy and starting that the Pats didn't win the AFC east.  the last place team was 8-8.  That 9-7 team was much better than the 10-6 version a year earlier or the 10-6 version in 2004 or 2006.

Chad's entire time here he had to deal w/ the Brady Pats which is an almost impossible situation yet he won a div title while Brady played 16 games and led us to 3 postseasons in the only somewhat healthy years he had for us.

and please don't forget we were 1-3 when Chad took over, in those 3 losses we lost 44-7, 30-3 and 28-3 for a grand total of 102-13 yet he would lead that team to a div title.  By the way the 44-7 loss was at home to NE, when Chad started at NE we won 30-17.  The 30-3 loss was at Miami, when Chad started we won 13-10.  he was spectacular that year, 22 TDs w/ just 6 INts in only 12 starts leading us back from 1-3/1-4/2-5 to a rare div title.

Archived