Jump to content

Chad Pennington Question


TuscanyTile2
 Share

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yes, let's compare Namath's play when 4 teams made the playoffs to Sanchez playing wild card games against the Bengals or the 10-6 Colts.  I have a pretty good feeling that the '68 Raiders or '69 Chiefs would have dismantled those stiffs.

They didn't run him out of town until he played like sh*t in 2012 and missed the 2013 season.  Also, his YPA were borderline laughable. 

What's not on the stat sheet are the other playoff runs that Namath didn't provide because he was too busy drinking, womanizing, making movies, and blowing out his achilles while water skiing during rehab.  Think about that for a moment.  Blowing both achilles tendons water skiing after 10 months of rehab on his knees.

Sanchez had no offensive support in '12 unless I missed the time that Chaz Schillens and Clyde Gates made the Pro Bowl.  And in '13 he had Geno Smith beat out in preseason and easily could have gone the same 8-8 that got Geno such high praise from the Sanchez haters if his shoulder wasn't wrecked by the worst head coach in modern NFL history.

SAR I

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

What's not on the stat sheet are the other playoff runs that Namath didn't provide because he was too busy drinking, womanizing, making movies, and blowing out his achilles while water skiing during rehab.  Think about that for a moment.  Blowing both achilles tendons water skiing after 10 months of rehab on his knees.

Sanchez had no offensive support in '12 unless I missed the time that Chaz Schillens and Clyde Gates made the Pro Bowl.  And in '13 he had Geno Smith beat out in preseason and easily could have gone the same 8-8 that got Geno such high praise from the Sanchez haters if his shoulder wasn't wrecked by the worst head coach in modern NFL history.

SAR I

Rex Ryan was a  better head coach than Mark Sanchez was a QB.  Truth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Can't.  See earlier post.

The entire point of playing NFL football is to win a Championship and you can't win a Championship without a clutch postseason quarterback and Vinny Testaverde wasn't half the postseason quarterback Mark Sanchez was.

VT played badly in the AFCCG in Denver.  You can't say that about MS in the AFCCGs in Indianapolis and Pittsburgh.

SAR I

Vinny's Achilles doesn't explode due to purposely poor field maintenance  at Foxboro the following year and we have a second championship. Sanchez folded like a cheap church chair with my fat ass on it after losing his running game in the Indianapolis game. He was not good enough to carry the team to victory on his own because he was being carried himself. Vincenzo wins that game walking away. So change it or I sit on the hood of the Beamer . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Based solely on his arm?  The piece of sh*t single handedly lost 3 of those 5 games and played so poorly in a 4th that even had the D shown up and shut down the Pats it still would have been hopeless.  While you are sucking him off for the "comeback" against the Browns maybe think of his INT in OT. 

You'd expect a 23 year old who should be a senior in college to play a part in 4 or 5 losses a season.

What you don't expect is for that same college kid to engineer 5 epic comebacks.

Mark Sanchez made a disappointing 6-10 season into 11-5. 

SAR I

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

@SAR I 

How can you look at all the chances he has had since he was QB here, all the opportunities and still claim that this guy wasnt a product of a very good, defense, Oline and RBs here with the Jets.  The only thing I can agree with you on was that there were a few glimpses early in career that he could be the man.  I do remember a few game winning drives that gave me hope he could be that QB we had been looking for.  Unfortunately those glimpses faded away and were replaced with dejected and confused looks as he walked off the field after throwing picks...

"Product of a very good defense". 

It's funny, I don't remember all the strip sacks, all the pick-sixes, all the blocked punts, all the changes in field position.  I don't remember all the shut-down stoppages in the fourth quarter.  I don't recall any of it.

What I recall was a good statistical defense that wasn't clutch.  I recall a defense that could keep it close but couldn't win games without the offense putting up points.  I recall a defense utterly stacked with high draft picks and every conceivable free agent dollar designed to sell it's head coach as a 'defensive genius' and I recall and offense held together with aging stars past their prime and masking tape.

Any playoff team needs a good defense (check), a good O line (check), and a good ground game (check).  But show me where any team built like that can succeed with a terrible quarterback.  You can't.  That's how you know Mark Sanchez was a good quarterback (check).

SAR I

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Vinny's Achilles doesn't explode due to purposely poor field maintenance  at Foxboro the following year and we have a second championship. Sanchez folded like a cheap church chair with my fat ass on it after losing his running game in the Indianapolis game. He was not good enough to carry the team to victory on his own because he was being carried himself. Vincenzo wins that game walking away. So change it or I sit on the hood of the Beamer . 

Vinny's achilles exploded on artificial turf at Giants Stadium.  And it exploded because another overrated fan favorite, Curtis Martin, fumbled a ball for no reason causing our QB to lurch awkwardly to pick it up.  I was at that game.

Mark Sanchez had a shocking 10 point AFC Championship Game halftime lead after a bomb to Edwards and a strike to Keller over a previously-undefeated Colts team before our secondary forgot to cover anyone in a blue jersey in the second half.  I was at that game too.

Which Bimmer?  I own 3.

SAR I

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Vinny's achilles exploded on artificial turf at Giants Stadium.  And it exploded because another overrated fan favorite, Curtis Martin, fumbled a ball for no reason causing our QB to lurch awkwardly to pick it up.  I was at that game.

Mark Sanchez had a shocking 10 point AFC Championship Game halftime lead after a bomb to Edwards and a strike to Keller over a previously-undefeated Colts team before our secondary forgot to cover anyone in a blue jersey in the second half.  I was at that game too.

Which Bimmer?  I own 3.

SAR I

Yes, let's credit Sanchez for a "strike to Keller"  when 68 of the 77 yards on the drive came from runs and a Brad Smith wildcat pass.  While you are bitching about the secondary, can you remind me how Mark did in the 2nd half?  They scored 17 points.  7 on the Edwards TD (bravo Marky Mark!)  7 on a 9 yard pass to Keller after a 45 yarder pass from Brad Smith and 3 after a fumble and a brilliant -1 yard drive.  

Leasing does not mean owning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Who was carrying Mark Sanchez in 2010 at age 23 when he led 5 comebacks against the Texans, Broncos, Lions, Browns, and Steelers?  Or in postseason games where he went 4-2 and had 9 TD's and 3 INT's and a 94.3 QBR?

Don't say the defense-  they (as always) let the opponents score late and put us in a hole.  Don't say the RB, because the RB can't run if the QB isn't keeping the RB's honest.  Don't say the HC, he was a numbskull making countless strategic errors.

So who was the "carrier"?  Who picked up Mark Sanchez in his arms and swaddled him in the bosom of quarterback success?  And why didn't that swaddling bosom "carry" Geno Smith to similar success?

SAR I

As you're well aware, Sanchez was carried by the Defense and the Running Game.

No amount of flowery prose will ever change what Sanchez was. He was a weak link others had to overcome for the Jets to win, and once the talent around Sanchez weakened, Sanchez showed how carried he had been, regressing as the years went on when the talent wasn't able to carry him.

Good you point out Geno, because as bad as Geno was, his first year was not materially worse than Sanchez's final year as starter, which should tell all the tale that needs told onthis topic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Vinny's achilles exploded on artificial turf at Giants Stadium.  And it exploded because another overrated fan favorite, Curtis Martin, fumbled a ball for no reason causing our QB to lurch awkwardly to pick it up.  I was at that game.

Mark Sanchez had a shocking 10 point AFC Championship Game halftime lead after a bomb to Edwards and a strike to Keller over a previously-undefeated Colts team before our secondary forgot to cover anyone in a blue jersey in the second half.  I was at that game too.

Which Bimmer?  I own 3.

SAR I

I have a big ass so you might need another. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, SAR I said:

"Product of a very good defense". 

It's funny, I don't remember all the strip sacks, all the pick-sixes, all the blocked punts, all the changes in field position.  I don't remember all the shut-down stoppages in the fourth quarter.  I don't recall any of it.

What I recall was a good statistical defense that wasn't clutch.  I recall a defense that could keep it close but couldn't win games without the offense putting up points.  I recall a defense utterly stacked with high draft picks and every conceivable free agent dollar designed to sell it's head coach as a 'defensive genius' and I recall and offense held together with aging stars past their prime and masking tape.

Any playoff team needs a good defense (check), a good O line (check), and a good ground game (check).  But show me where any team built like that can succeed with a terrible quarterback.  You can't.  That's how you know Mark Sanchez was a good quarterback (check).

SAR I

I agreed that he showed glimpses in his first 2 years here.  sh*t... I pulled for him probably 2 too many years while he was here.  By the time he left he was total sh*t.... And i say this because everywhere he has been since he left he has been total sh*t.  Couldnt take advantage of winning competitions against sh*t qbs on every stop he has been since and judging by who beat him out in those stops... or winning the job to only lose it to sh*tty qbs.  i again say he is sh*t...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Chad had 1 good season (until the Raiders exposed him in the playoffs).  It was mostly mediocrity at best after that.

That was a GREAT season and after being "exposed" he came out on fire after his injury in 2003 then had 100+ rating prior to his injury against Buffalo in 2004.  The "exposed" comments are hysterical as if no QB has ever had a bad game.  if he was "exposed" he wouldn't have been a successful QB for so many years after.
 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

This is where you go off the rails.

When one's career is defined by the times he didn't suit up and take the field, there is no way he is characterized as "outstanding".  2002 Chad Pennington was a one-hit wonder who, with a HOF running back, HOF center, and Top 5 defense, got hot as the "win it for the young guy" QB for a 4 game stretch, that's it. 

From that moment forward, he either 1) wasn't smart enough to throw the ball away and avoid devastating injury or 2) was healthy but played poorly.

When you look at the talent he had around him and the start he got off to, Chad Pennington was nothing but "disappointing".  That's how you should look at him.

SAR I

I thought you didn't like our HOF RB?

our "top 5 defense" in 2002 was actually ranked 24th

2 years later hew as among the league leaders and we were 5-1 when he injured his shoulder which changed his career.  he was never great again for us but he still led us to the playoffs in 2006 and led a Miami team that was 1-15 in 2007 to 11-5 and a div title in 2008 and finished 2nd or 3rd in league MVP voting.

you keep talking about all this talent, where was it? we had some talent but we also had to face TOM BRADY, the greatest QB of all time in the middle of the Pats dynasty at it's peak.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Sorry, but Chad was 8-5 in 2002, that's not "best single season" material.

Mark Sanchez was 11-5 in 2010, second best record in team history, featured 5 games with epic 4th quarter comebacks based solely on his arm.

Once Mark Sanchez shook off the rookie jitters, he and the Jets went on a 16-4 run in the next 20 games, the best such stretch in team history.  He was 4-2 in the playoffs and was the best Jet on the field in 2 consecutive AFCCG's.

This enshrinement for Chad Pennington and disrespect for Mark Sanchez has to end.

SAR I

he was 8-4 as a starter.

Mark was outstanding in 2010 but he wasn't Chad 2002. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Exactly.

Chad Pennington is the Ken O'Brien of the 00's.  Lots of promise, huge amount of talent around him, utter disappointment.

Compared to the offensive talent Pennington and O'Brien had, a guy like Mark Sanchez by all rights should not have succeeded at all.  But yet he did.  Because maybe, I don't know, he was a good quarterback.

SAR I

Chad actually won playoff games, Chad actually won a div title, Chad actually won big games.

Chad came into a team where coaches were fleeing what they perceived a sinking ship, Ken walked into a young team that was a game away from the SB.

the 2 are not comparable in any way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yes, let's compare Namath's play when 4 teams made the playoffs to Sanchez playing wild card games against the Bengals or the 10-6 Colts.  I have a pretty good feeling that the '68 Raiders or '69 Chiefs would have dismantled those stiffs.

They didn't run him out of town until he played like sh*t in 2012 and missed the 2013 season.  Also, his YPA were borderline laughable. 

let's break that down.

In 1968 2 teams made the playoffs(technically 3 as KC and Oak tied and had to play).  The Jets had to win the AFL east by beating out 4 other teams.  The 2nd place team was a .500 team.  They had a 1 in 5 chance, 20%

 

In 1969 2 teams per div made the playoffs so the Jets had a 2 in 5 chance(40%) and again the 2nd place team was just a .500 team.

 

The 2009 and 2010 Jets had the TOM BRADY dynasty in the division so the div title was out(if they had a .500 team as the next best team they would have won div titles, right?).  removing the 4 div champs the Jets had a 2 in 12 chance to earn a WC(17%)

 

17% is less than 20 and 40, right?  Not to mention in the lone year he won playoff games Joe got a home game his team didn’t earn b/c they rotated the title gaem and a bye they didn’t earn b/c Oak and KC tied.  Oak and KC BOTH had better records and Oak BEAT the Jets yet we got a bye and hosted Oak needing ONE win to get to SB.

 he played like S**t in 2012 w/ Chaz Schilens and Stephen hill as his main weapons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

What's not on the stat sheet are the other playoff runs that Namath didn't provide because he was too busy drinking, womanizing, making movies, and blowing out his achilles while water skiing during rehab.  Think about that for a moment.  Blowing both achilles tendons water skiing after 10 months of rehab on his knees.

Sanchez had no offensive support in '12 unless I missed the time that Chaz Schillens and Clyde Gates made the Pro Bowl.  And in '13 he had Geno Smith beat out in preseason and easily could have gone the same 8-8 that got Geno such high praise from the Sanchez haters if his shoulder wasn't wrecked by the worst head coach in modern NFL history.

SAR I

And 1967 where Jet fans routinely praise him for throwing for 4,000 yards and ignore that in the process he threw away the Jets chances of making the playoffs w/ all his INTs.

 

Your "worst HC" quote is asinine though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

yoyo_zpsd443ce64.jpg

Once Mark Sanchez shook off his rookie jitters, the Jets went on a 16-4 run, the best in team history.  Then he won 2 more playoff games.  Then he had us at 8-5 the next season before the Defense let Victor Cruz up the sideline, the lack of offensive players, and the Rex Ryan Scapegoat Machine took him down.

We should have gotten rid of Rex Ryan and kept Mark Sanchez and Mike Tannenbaum instead of the other way around.  History now shows this to be one of the biggest tragedies in team history.

SAR I

If Mark Sanchez was the hero if that run, as you suggest, why is he unable to crack 2nd string anymore?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

let's break that down.

In 1968 2 teams made the playoffs(technically 3 as KC and Oak tied and had to play).  The Jets had to win the AFL east by beating out 4 other teams.  The 2nd place team was a .500 team.  They had a 1 in 5 chance, 20%

 

In 1969 2 teams per div made the playoffs so the Jets had a 2 in 5 chance(40%) and again the 2nd place team was just a .500 team.

 

The 2009 and 2010 Jets had the TOM BRADY dynasty in the division so the div title was out(if they had a .500 team as the next best team they would have won div titles, right?).  removing the 4 div champs the Jets had a 2 in 12 chance to earn a WC(17%)

 

17% is less than 20 and 40, right?  Not to mention in the lone year he won playoff games Joe got a home game his team didn’t earn b/c they rotated the title gaem and a bye they didn’t earn b/c Oak and KC tied.  Oak and KC BOTH had better records and Oak BEAT the Jets yet we got a bye and hosted Oak needing ONE win to get to SB.

 he played like S**t in 2012 w/ Chaz Schilens and Stephen hill as his main weapons.

Thank you for pointing out how watered down the league has become.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Thank you for pointing out how watered down the league has become.  

great argument, Joe made TWO playoff apps.  In each one the 2nd place team(among 4 other teams) was just .500.  Please don't talk about the league being watered down.  the greatest dynasty of the SB era is in our division, Joe didn't have to worry about any of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

great argument, Joe made TWO playoff apps.  In each one the 2nd place team(among 4 other teams) was just .500.  Please don't talk about the league being watered down.  the greatest dynasty of the SB era is in our division, Joe didn't have to worry about any of that.

The Jets moved to the AFC Central?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Chad actually won playoff games, Chad actually won a div title, Chad actually won big games.

Chad came into a team where coaches were fleeing what they perceived a sinking ship, Ken walked into a young team that was a game away from the SB.

the 2 are not comparable in any way.

Chad's winning came in his first year seeing the field.  Everything after was one version of brutal or another. 

Either injury or lack of talent, he fell to pieces after the 9th or 10th injury, I forget which one.

SAR I

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Chad's winning came in his first year seeing the field.  Everything after was one version of brutal or another. 

Either injury or lack of talent, he fell to pieces after the 9th or 10th injury, I forget which one.

SAR I

first year seeing the field:  led us back from 1-4/2-5 to win division and a playoff game

2nd yr seeing the field: missed the first 6+ games, we were 4-5 in games he started and 2-5 in games he did not start

3rd yr seeing the field: led us to postseason where we won another postseason game

4th yr: injured week 3, missed season

5th year: led us to 10-6, another playoff app

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

let's break that down.

In 1968 2 teams made the playoffs(technically 3 as KC and Oak tied and had to play).  The Jets had to win the AFL east by beating out 4 other teams.  The 2nd place team was a .500 team.  They had a 1 in 5 chance, 20%

 

 

Let's elaborate one what you're pointing out:

The '68 Jets barely eked out a desperation win against a California team in the freezing windy cold, and one that had to play a playoff game just to reach the Championship Game.

That's right.  The Raiders and Chiefs tied in the West, they had to play each other in a tiebreaker playoff game, and the Jets wound up with a 2 week bye before hosting the exhausted Raiders at Shea. 

And Joe Namath, what did he do the night before the Championship game?  That's right.  He went out and got drunk, had girls in his room, didn't get back to his hotel until 5AM.  Then a few years later while rehabbing a season ending injury he went water skiing and gave himself a season ending achilles injury.

But let's rip Ryan Fitzpatrick to pieces because of his benign quotes about "believing in me" and let's throw Mark Sanchez out of memory because Vince Wilfork made a rag doll out of Brandon Moore.

SAR I

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

And 1967 where Jet fans routinely praise him for throwing for 4,000 yards and ignore that in the process he threw away the Jets chances of making the playoffs w/ all his INTs.

 

Your "worst HC" quote is asinine though.

Regarding quarterbacks, Namath should be exposed for who he really was, especially now that he acts like such a prick there's no reason to sweep it under the rug anymore.

Regarding head coaches, you need to understand the definition of "the worst".  Rich Kotite might have been a lesser head coach than Rex Ryan, but Rich had nothing to work with, his team was crap.  Rex Ryan was given a lot of talented players to work with, they clearly were capable of 12 wins a year, but he failed when we needed him the most, his D always choked in a big spot, his team was never prepared to play a big game after winning a big game.

In the big picture, Rich Kotite wasn't bad for the Jets, those teams were awful and going nowhere anyway.  Rex Ryan had a ton of talent and pissed it away.  That's why he's worse.

SAR I

 

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

If Mark Sanchez was the hero if that run, as you suggest, why is he unable to crack 2nd string anymore?

Physical injury, age, and the mind-f*** he got in New York.

The psyche of a 22 year old quarterback, his confidence in his abilities, his leadership potential, it was all thrown out the window when our owner got rid of the wrong guy.  Should have kept Tannenbaum and fired Ryan, not the other way around.  History shows this to be correct.

SAR I

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

You'd expect a 23 year old who should be a senior in college to play a part in 4 or 5 losses a season.

What you don't expect is for that same college kid to engineer 5 epic comebacks.

Mark Sanchez made a disappointing 6-10 season into 11-5. 

SAR I

 

34 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Physical injury, age, and the mind-f*** he got in New York.

The psyche of a 22 year old quarterback, his confidence in his abilities, his leadership potential, it was all thrown out the window when our owner got rid of the wrong guy.  Should have kept Tannenbaum and fired Ryan, not the other way around.  History shows this to be correct.

SAR I

He gets younger every post!  

When he was 22 he was still throwing passes to wide open NFL players at USC.  When he was 23 he was sucking for the Jets as a rookie would be college senior.  When he was 24 he was sh*tting the bed for a stacked 2010 Jets team.  I guess you are pointing to the fact that his birthday is in November and he had already sh*t the bed against the Packers and Ravens before he turned 24, but his performance against the Dolphins was after his birthday.  I guess you can point to the fact that they only lost one of his 4 fumbles as a positive.  

I'm not sure why his 22 year old psyche was damaged when they fired Tannenbaum after his 26th birthday.  If anything, Tannenbaum is the one that let  a bunch of vet WRs with bad attitudes (Burress, Holmes, Mason) loose on him and Sanchez showed he couldn't stand up to them.  I'm also not sure how any of this relates to why his 29 year old self was unable to crack 2nd string on the Broncos or Cowboys.  To be clear, Denver elected to cut him and roll with Trevor Siemian.  To be more clear, Siemian sucked and his numbers were as good as Sanchez ever put up.  Must be Rex Ryan's fault. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

 

He gets younger every post!  

When he was 22 he was still throwing passes to wide open NFL players at USC.  When he was 23 he was sucking for the Jets as a rookie would be college senior.  When he was 24 he was sh*tting the bed for a stacked 2010 Jets team.  I guess you are pointing to the fact that his birthday is in November and he had already sh*t the bed against the Packers and Ravens before he turned 24, but his performance against the Dolphins was after his birthday.  I guess you can point to the fact that they only lost one of his 4 fumbles as a positive.  

I'm not sure why his 22 year old psyche was damaged when they fired Tannenbaum after his 26th birthday.  If anything, Tannenbaum is the one that let  a bunch of vet WRs with bad attitudes (Burress, Holmes, Mason) loose on him and Sanchez showed he couldn't stand up to them.  I'm also not sure how any of this relates to why his 29 year old self was unable to crack 2nd string on the Broncos or Cowboys.  To be clear, Denver elected to cut him and roll with Trevor Siemian.  To be more clear, Siemian sucked and his numbers were as good as Sanchez ever put up.  Must be Rex Ryan's fault. 

sucking and shi**ing the bed for us by helping us get to back to back title games for the only time in our history.  we truly have the worst fans in sports and we desrev the crap they put out for us.

he was 2nd string on dallas the majority of the year, was 2nd string in Philly.  In Denver they didn't want to give up a pick, they traded for him as insurance in case their young guys were not ready.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

sucking and shi**ing the bed for us by helping us get to back to back title games for the only time in our history.  we truly have the worst fans in sports and we desrev the crap they put out for us.

he was 2nd string on dallas the majority of the year, was 2nd string in Philly.  In Denver they didn't want to give up a pick, they traded for him as insurance in case their young guys were not ready.

******* awesome!  Denver cut him because they didn't want to part with that conditional 7th!  You can't make this sh*t up!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Physical injury, age, and the mind-f*** he got in New York.

The psyche of a 22 year old quarterback, his confidence in his abilities, his leadership potential, it was all thrown out the window when our owner got rid of the wrong guy.  Should have kept Tannenbaum and fired Ryan, not the other way around.  History shows this to be correct.

SAR I

He just turned 30 and his injury was relatively minor.

As for the mind****, what mind****?  The worst thing the Jets did under his tenure was get expensive and old, and ask him to step up.  That happens to QBs.  Unfortunately, he was literally the exact same player on day one as he was when he was released.

And, if Sanchez was such a "snowflake" that he couldn't overcome any adversity, he's not the guy to lead a football team, for sure.

History doesn't show we should have kept Tannenbaum at all.  Tannenbaum and the Dolphins made the playoffs and got knocked out in round one.  We were one game away from making the playoffs and getting knocked out in round one.  The mistake wasn't firing Tannenbaum at all - the mistake was hiring Idzik, keeping Ryan (we agree), and thus far, hiring Macc and Bowles.  It doesn't make a lot of sense that you'd want to keep Tannenbaum - as he was pretty much the chief engineer of the "mind****" of which you spoke.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Regarding quarterbacks, Namath should be exposed for who he really was, especially now that he acts like such a prick there's no reason to sweep it under the rug anymore.

Regarding head coaches, you need to understand the definition of "the worst".  Rich Kotite might have been a lesser head coach than Rex Ryan, but Rich had nothing to work with, his team was crap.  Rex Ryan was given a lot of talented players to work with, they clearly were capable of 12 wins a year, but he failed when we needed him the most, his D always choked in a big spot, his team was never prepared to play a big game after winning a big game.

In the big picture, Rich Kotite wasn't bad for the Jets, those teams were awful and going nowhere anyway.  Rex Ryan had a ton of talent and pissed it away.  That's why he's worse.

SAR I

 

I don't want to get into the business of making excuses for Rex, but one of the biggest reasons that the D "always choked" is because they had to make several game saving stops per game.  The best defense in NFL history is not as good as an offense that can get first downs in the 4th quarter and eventually kneel the game away.  The Sanchez/Ryan era Jets could not do that.  The Jets asked way too much of the defense late in the games - a few late game first downs by the offense here and there, and I believe we'd be talking about those defenses as among the best ever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...