Petty and the Jets

SickJetFan

I would be all for giving Petty a good shot, but let's be honest here. He gets injured when the wind blows. He is brittle and will not last 1/4 of the season. If Hack is anywhere near competent, I say F it and he plays from week 1.

Besides, "he gives us the best chance to win" LOL ...(just kidding)

Fun Video.  I like Petty.  Very physically talented player to find in the 4th round  Think he's improved.  

With that said, he's a 4th round pick.  When your a 4th round pick you only get so many chances.  This may be his last year with the Jets unless he shows something big in OTA's, and early TC.   IMO he might well be the best QB the Jets have right now.  That doesn't make him great.  Just hope he gets a fair chance.    

30 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

I would be all for giving Petty a good shot, but let's be honest here. He gets injured when the wind blows. He is brittle and will not last 1/4 of the season. If Hack is anywhere near competent, I say F it and he plays from week 1.

Besides, "he gives us the best chance to win" LOL ...(just kidding)

Does Petty have a long injury history or something? I can't think of anything beyond the injury last year. Hardly a fair statement to suggest he is injury prone.

6 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

Does Petty have a long injury history or something? I can't think of anything beyond the injury last year. Hardly a fair statement to suggest he is injury prone.

He  got injured twice last year, and he was injured in the first game of his senior year,at Baylor, which affected his play all season

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

He  got injured twice last year, and he was injured in the first game of his senior year,at Baylor, which affected his play all season

3x last year actually

1st was the late hit in PS after he had already thrown TD and got leveled

2nd was the sandwich in Miami game..and the 25 yard toss to Anderson down sideline

3rd was the Fumble by RB in NE game......making tackle to save TD...

So I guess they were not complete losses.....

4 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

3x last year actually

1st was the late hit in PS after he had already thrown TD and got leveled

2nd was the sandwich in Miami game..and the 25 yard toss to Anderson down sideline

3rd was the Fumble by RB in NE game......making tackle to save TD...

So I guess they were not complete losses.....

Yep

I know a lot of people have given up on Petty.  After going 8 weeks without practice, he was thrown into the fire.  It didn't go well.  LOL

As his highlight video shows, he also made some great throws just as he got creamed.  That's something ya can't teach.  This will be his last shot, hope he gets a fair one.  Injuries are a concern

Probably a better fit for the West Coast offense with his better accuracy and quick reaction throws than Hack, except Hack is better suited mentally for a complex offensive system than Petty. Only the Jets could have peanut butter on one sandwich, jelly on another and never find a way to have it all come together with one quarterback....ugh.

48 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Fun Video.  I like Petty.  Very physically talented player to find in the 4th round  Think he's improved.  

With that said, he's a 4th round pick.  When your a 4th round pick you only get so many chances.  This may be his last year with the Jets unless he shows something big in OTA's, and early TC.   IMO he might well be the best QB the Jets have right now.  That doesn't make him great.  Just hope he gets a fair chance.    

Kirk Cousins

People sleep on Petty because he took his time to develop, but I thought he showed a ton of good qualities last year.  I wouldn't be shocked if he wins the competition out of the pre-season.

His issues are mainly mental, it's the speed of the game that he has to pick up, recognize coverage.  Gailey's spread system is closer to the Baylor system than anything run by Morton, so it'll be interesting to see how Petty picks up the offense.  Physically, he's a very good prospect that can make all the throws and he can gain a few yards with his feet as well.  If he could get behind a decent line and under-stand the offense, I think he has a shot to be good.  I was surprised by how decent he looked last year behind a suspect line.  

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Yep

I know a lot of people have given up on Petty.  After going 8 weeks without practice, he was thrown into the fire.  It didn't go well.  LOL

As his highlight video shows, he also made some great throws just as he got creamed.  That's something ya can't teach.  This will be his last shot, hope he gets a fair one.  Injuries are a concern

What piss me off the most was not the lack of reps they gave him or the no win ssituation...you expect those things with a losing team and a team looking for a new QB.   What piss me off the most and validated all my suspicions was a small stupid joke\comment Petty made before the NE game.  He had joked that he never played in the rain and it showed.

Why would he say that? I like the kid and I would like him to start with that said i have no illusions about him being smart or lets just say I would not ask him advise about anything other than football.  He strikes me as someone who just blurts out things without thinking them through so they are honest.  It is true coming from Texas he never played in rain.   But this is 2 years after playing in Texas he made this comment.

Now you would think at this level of football on an NFL team being coached by NFL caliber coaching , scouting, etc...someone should have thought of this especially on s team in New fkg York where fowl weather is as common as idiot forum posts around these parts.  You would think if someone actually worked with him they would have known this and had him throw in the rain at practice...you would think had he been coached and worked with in the rain at practice he would not have made the comment in 1st place.  

So that is when I turned on chan and Co. as not just being bad but truly incompetent. 

Who knows who will win competition , who knows if it will be fair.  All I know is it probably cannot be worse than Chan and his little QB coach\admin assistant.

25 minutes ago, win4ever said:

People sleep on Petty because he took his time to develop, but I thought he showed a ton of good qualities last year.  I wouldn't be shocked if he wins the competition out of the pre-season.

His issues are mainly mental, it's the speed of the game that he has to pick up, recognize coverage.  Gailey's spread system is closer to the Baylor system than anything run by Morton, so it'll be interesting to see how Petty picks up the offense.  Physically, he's a very good prospect that can make all the throws and he can gain a few yards with his feet as well.  If he could get behind a decent line and under-stand the offense, I think he has a shot to be good.  I was surprised by how decent he looked last year behind a suspect line.  

Did he takes his time dev Or did they not take any time to try and Dev him?

Perry's injury in the Miami game should not be counted against him as injury prone.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

Pettys sorry damn auto correct.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

Petty, the forgotten man in our QB situation.  Would like for him to start the season and have Hack as 2nd.  McClown for the QB room and emergency.  Whats the worst that could happen in that scenario?

I can totally understand people thinking Petty will not amount to anything.  I cannot understand anybody declaring Hackenberg as our starter while claiming Petty outright sucks.  Hackenberg was supposed to be more more pro ready and still needed to redshirt.  Petty came from that wacky Baylor system and needed to learn to take snaps under center and go through pro level progressions.  Literally every draft book on Petty said he'd need a year or two to learn a pro system.

I personally like the kid. He's got a strong and accurate cannon arm. Gutsy in the pocket. Goes through his progressions even when he's running for his life. Gunslinger style of play. Last year got thrown into a quitting team. Why not Petty? For someone coming in cold off the bench IMO he did very well. I noticed in Costello's article in the Post today he was not even mentioned. Wouldn't be surprised to see him starting game 1 for the Jets unless Hack really breaks out in Preseason.

18 hours ago, flgreen said:

he also got blasted pretty good.  i don't recall many qb's ever taking such shots.  about the only thing you can really say is the jets oline was playing matador oline and he didn't duck or throw the ball away.  if anything petty was trying too hard to make the grand throw instead of taking what the defense gave.

Petty's nature is to extend plays. He was better the longer the play lasted and trusted his arm to make throws that are more improvised than meticulous. He's a gunslinger, Brett Favre/ Aaron Rodgers type of qb. The best thing Morton said today was that he doesn't have a system, he wants to do what works. If Petty emerges from these practices the starter then I hope that means Morton plays to Petty's ability to throw on the move and to the outsides of the field.

Archived