NY Jets OTA Updates

JetNation

20 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

California WR Chris Harper NFL Draft Scouting Report

Oct 18, 2014; Berkeley, CA, USA; California Golden Bears wide receiver Chris Harper (6) makes a one-handed touchdown catch over UCLA Bruins defensive back Ishmael Adams (1) in the second quarter at Memorial Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports

Every year when NFL Draft evaluations are happening, there are a number of players that you’re left wondering, what in the world was everyone thinking? How did this guy slip through the cracks?

That would apply to California wide receiver Chris Harper, who is only 5-foot-11, 175 pounds. If you search his name in Google, you’re going to come up with a bunch of results for 2013 wide receiver prospect Chris Harper of Kansas State, who has bounced around the NFC West a bit in his NFL career.

You really have to do some digging on this guy, but it’s worth it.

There’s nothing spectacular about his numbers, but that’s due largely to inconsistent quarterback play, it seems. Harper caught 52 passes this past year as a junior, racking up 632 yards and six touchdowns, while also contributing as a punt returner. In 2013 as a sophomore, Harper caught 69 balls for 840 yards and five touchdowns.

Nothing spectacular about the numbers, nothing standing out about the averages that would make you go back and wonder what more this guy did that we’re not seeing.

But if you thought that numbers never lie, then you’ve been believing a lie.

Robert Klemko at MMQB did a great piece on Harper, highlighting one of this year’s biggest NFL Scouting Combine snubs. Heck, Harper is so unknown by the masses at this point, this guy doesn’t even have a mock draftable web.

That’s a big deal, in case you didn’t know.

He doesn’t have a scouting report that pops up when you search his name, just a couple of articles and things mixed in with the former Kansas State Chris Harper. It’s pretty sad, really.

But, if you do the digging, you’ll find people who have done some homework on the Cal version of Chris Harper, the guy who left school early after doing things like this. Highlight reel catches do not a great prospect make, but Harper appears to be so much more than that. Thankfully, Draft Breakdown has some of his 2013 tape in their archive, and you can see through different games that this kid’s skill set, while far from complete, is the real deal.

First and foremost, what jumps out about Harper’s tape is his phenomenal athletic ability and quickness. You see him explode in and out of his routes, and he finds ways to make himself the open receiver seemingly every play. What I like most about his game is that you don’t often see guys with that kind of speed and quickness at the collegiate level running such precise routes from different positions, especially as just a sophomore.

In this tape, Harper is playing in his second year of college football and is schooling defensive backs up and down the field. He will get open inside, outside, short, intermediate, deep downfield, and he makes tough catches. Unlike other players his size, Harper fights for the football and plays with a bit of physicality and swagger, which I really like.

You can see throughout the video plays where Harper will make excellent effort to work back toward the line of scrimmage and fight for the football, whether contested or not. He makes tough, over the shoulder catches and displays great concentration on deep balls downfield.

One of his greatest attributes is his ability after the catch. Perhaps a downside to his game at times, Harper fights for extra yardage, almost to a fault, and has the ability to make defenders miss in the open field right before he accelerates past them for a bigger gain.

For whatever reasons NFL  teams decide — be it size, lack of big numbers statistically, or the fact that he chose to leave school after just three years, Harper will be under-drafted. He isn’t going to go as high as he should, or maybe I’m just too high on him. Either way, this is a player that has really caught my eye and someone who has slipped through the cracks, to this point.

He does everything well as a receiver and has the type of confidence in himself you love to see in a young receiver. He could be one of the biggest steals of the draft.

Over the course of the next few weeks, we will take a look at the men fighting for those spots on the 2016 New England Patriots. Today, we'll take a look at wide receiver Chris Harper.

Name: Chris Harper

Position: Wide receiver

Jersey number: 14

Experience: 1

Size: 5'11, 185 lbs.

2015 review: After not getting selected in the 2015 NFL Draft, the Patriots signed Chris Harper in early May. The former Cal receiver had a very good first summer in New England, and thanks to an impressive preseason – 15 catches for 150 yards and a touchdown – earned himself a spot on the team's initial 53-man roster.

However, Harper, who was active for five games during his rookie campaign, could not establish himself as a consistent option on offense and special teams. He was cut and re-signed twice, and finished his first NFL season with one catch for six yards and three punt returns for 17 yards.

His most memorable play was one he didn't make – one that played a key role in losing to the Denver Broncos in week 12: in the game's fourth quarter and with the Patriots leading 20-7, Harper tried to field a Broncos punt but was tackled immediately. He lost the football, which was recovered by Denver and four plays later turned into a touchdown, while his team lost momentum.

2016 preview: In 2015, Harper's performance in training camp and the preseason earned him a spot on the Patriots' initial roster. Despite increased competition this year by newly acquired wideouts Chris Hogan and Malcolm Mitchell as well as recently extended Keshawn Martin, the 22-year old could find himself on the team once again due to the uncertainties surrounding the injury statuses of Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola.

If Edelman and Amendola recover as expected from their respective offseason surgeries, Harper faces an uphill battle to survive cuts this year. While he offers some experience as a pass catcher and return man, those qualities might not be enough to earn him a spot. After all, the wide receiver depth chart is crowded as six players (the above mentioned five plus core special teamer Matthew Slater) are locks or near-locks to make the team. It's a numbers game and Harper's might not be prominent enough to win it.

Therefore, Harper's best chance to stick around in Foxboro seems to be via the Patriots' practice squad and in a role similar to last year's: an emergency option, promoted only in case of injury to a wideout or kick returner.

---

Chris Harper left a tremendous first impression in New England but couldn't keep up once the games became more contested and the opponents better. Still, he should get more chances this summer to show that his 2015 preseason was no fluke and that he is worthy of a spot on the Patriots' payroll.

The San Francisco 49ers made a roster move on Tuesday, activating wide receiver Chris Harper from injured reserve

Harper joined the NFL in 2015 as an undrafted free agent out of Cal. He played in five games for the New England Patriots last season, catching one pass for six yards. Harper was waived by the Patriots at the end of the preseason, after which he joined the 49ers practice squad. Harper was promoted to the 49ers for one game in September, after which he was waived and eventually re-signed with the practice squad.

When the heck did we get Harper and why didnt anyone make a thread about it? This is a solid signing. 

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, #27TheDominator said:

While I agree nothing is written in stone , I sense the complete ownership team is still behind Bowles. While Woody liked Rex , I think there was enough dissension within  the Jets org to suspect Rex was a dead man walking. For the good of the team I hope Bowles has a vote of confidence and coaches like he has and does not go into self preservation mode. 

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

While I agree nothing is written in stone , I sense the complete ownership team is still behind Bowles. While Woody liked Rex , I think there was enough dissension within  the Jets org to suspect Rex was a dead man walking. For the good of the team I hope Bowles has a vote of confidence and coaches like he has and does not go into self preservation mode. 

Wait....you actually WANT him to continue coaching the way he has????? Seriously ? Or just trolling?? He was a train wreck last year, easily one of the worst NFL head coaches.

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Wait....you actually WANT him to continue coaching the way he has????? Seriously ? Or just trolling?? He was a train wreck last year, easily one of the worst NFL head coaches.

I agree with Lance to an extent.  I am no fan of Bowles, but I think it does help the Jets overall if he coaches as if he will still have a job if they suck.  Otherwise, you can kiss Darnold goodbye and probably forget about finding out about any young players.  We will see McCown and Harris and Forte will play 97% of the snaps

10 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

No I want him coaching like he knows he has a vote of confidence - not playing it safe to eke out another win with aging vets ( aka McCown).

Archived