NY Jets OTA Updates

JetNation

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Aaron Rodgers and big Ben taking hits after they develop is very different than Hack getting ruined as a freshman. Or what actually happened to David Carr. The beatings ruined the player and screwed any chance of development. 

Hack had a very good Freshman year , it was his second and 3rd years that were played behind a turnstyle for an OL. 

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

I wish I knew more about Morton.  With Mornhinweg and Gailey they had quite a history in the league.  All I know about Morton is he was at USC.

Morton has zero OC experience in NFL, that's why Bowles wanted him. A good scapegoat is always a priority.

4 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

I know where not suppose to take OTA serious  but damn Hack is having a rough day for QB that's playing in t shirts and shorts ..

No idea why anyone should panic. This is "well-respected" personal QB guru to the stars Jordan Palmer on Christian Hackenberg:

"This is a franchise quarterback. This is a guy who's going to be obsessed with football and obsessed with winning a championship."

4 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

This is pretty big wow

Per source, the owners just passed a resolution eliminating the 75-man cutdown. So now, there'll be just one cutdown day -- 90 to 53.

That sucks.  Means a lot fewer of the players who get cut will have a chance to land elsewhere

It's day one of OTA's. I'm not reacting one way or the other over a sailed pass.  There are plenty of pretty completions on Conner's instagram:

Very small sample size, but Hack's throwing motion looks more compact than it was in his rookie season.  It's also nice to see much better ball placement compared to last year...you know...when the one sailed ball was actually the norm for every other throw.  Another side note is that his arm is stronger than any QB we've had since Favre.  It's not even close.  There's a throw to Anderson in there that hits Robby in stride and the arm strength just jumps out at you.  Its been repeated ad-nauseum, but if Hack flames out, it won't be because of lack of physical talent.

Anyways, my takeaways from day 1:

-  Sheldon still doesn't get it.

-  Morris Claiborne sounds like he had a real good day. As did Austin Sefarian-Jenkins

-  Bye Pryor.

-  F*ck Todd Bowles for the split reps idea.  This is ridiculous.  Give the majority to Hack and Petty and leave McCown the table scraps.  Indefensible.

-  Can't say this one enough:  F*ck.  Ryan.  Fitzpatrick.

35 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Hack had a very good Freshman year , it was his second and 3rd years that were played behind a turnstyle for an OL. 

whenever it happened, there's a reason why this player is on the 3rd team on the far field today and it's not because Todd Bowles can't set a depth chart. 

if we are being completely honest Hackenberg was lucky to be drafted in rd 2 and lucky to be carried a whole year doing nothing. Most NFL teams don't give out scholarships. 

41 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Imagine that, a guy selling himself on his best, not his worst, times. Shocking!

And this is why he should have never taken 1 snap for the Jets last year .When it happened many rejoiced because of their hatred of the player, but I said it then and I'll say it now, the worst thing that could have happened to the Jets was the IK/ Geno  incident .  Had Geno started that year, Fitz never would have seen a single snap for the Jets and by now,  there would be no doubt that Petty is not the answer either and more would be known about Hack as a pro.

It might also be said that depending on how the season went, Todd Bowles might now be an ex Jet HC .

4 hours ago, dbatesman said:

James Franklin

Shhh bb. Is ok.

No but really, it's day one of OTAs.  Chill family.  I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities for ribbing by you in August :P.

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

whenever it happened, there's a reason why this player is on the 3rd team on the far field today and it's not because Todd Bowles can't set a depth chart. 

if we are being completely honest Hackenberg was lucky to be drafted in rd 2 and lucky to be carried a whole year doing nothing. Most NFL teams don't give out scholarships. 

Most NFL teams carry 3rd QBs or stash QB's on the development squad. How much work those players get is dictated by many factors. The fact Hack saw little to no action last season means absolutely nothing. Most 3rd or 4th Qb's don't get many reps in today's NFL with the current collective bargaining agreement. Bottom line right now in OTA's/TC/PS games is where Hack will get his true chance, if what the CS says is correct and a true competition ensues. Either way after this chance the Jets should have an answer on what Hack can be. If he bombs out - kudos you guys are right, If he shows promise then its a win for the Jets. 

14 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Extrapolate this to a full season and it's pretty impressive

Well, if we're getting technical there are 6 throws in my link that are completions.  There is one incomplete pass in yours so by doing the math you can count it as 5 of 6 to start the day ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

It's gonna be a long, hot, and hard summer BatesyBoo ?.

3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Did you ever peeked over into you neighbor's hard and say to yourself, "Man, that's a nice lawn"  ? 

TFW your house has the front yard full of corpses from Poltergeist but you also have Stockholm Syndrome and feel it's appropriate to drop "the grass is always greener" on dudes. 

IMG_0546.JPG

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

did the receiver even extend his arms?  the throw was a little off but it looked like the receiver didn't even try to go up and get the ball.

No and, regardless of who is throwing the ball, that's unacceptable.  I don't know who #86 is but I hope someone got in his ear about that.  You're trying to make a professional football team.  Show the coaches you actually give a sh*t and try and fight for the catch.  Even if you don't make it, pulling up lame like that won't cut it in the NFL.  Show some damn effort and give the team a reason to keep you.  

Just now, Mogglez said:

No and, regardless of who is throwing the ball, that's unacceptable.  I don't know who #86 is but I hope someone got in his ear about that.  You're trying to make a professional football team.  Show the coaches you actually give a damn and try and fight for the catch.  Even if you don't make it, pulling up lame like that won't cut it in the NFL.  Show some damn effort and give the team a reason to keep you.  

someone said he was a player from uconn.  uconn. now there's a football powerhouse.  the ct taxpayers subsidize that team 17m per year because it can't even pay for itself.

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

And in other news, 

What a f'ing douche. 

I really dont like this man. The Jets gave this guy every opportunity to a fault, and a great portion of this fanbase supported this asshat. 

This is why you dont pay career back ups as "mentors".They end up being really ungrateful after they jacked your franchise for 15 million dollars in 2 years. 

My. What ever could have occurred here that would result in a bad journeyman quarterback adopting an inflated sense of his own worth and a feeling of entitlement not at all commensurate with his resumè?

54 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

And this is why he should have never taken 1 snap for the Jets last year .When it happened many rejoiced because of their hatred of the player, but I said it then and I'll say it now, the worst thing that could have happened to the Jets was the IK/ Geno  incident .  Had Geno started that year, Fitz never would have seen a single snap for the Jets and by now,  there would be no doubt that Petty is not the answer either and more would be known about Hack as a pro.

It might also be said that depending on how the season went, Todd Bowles might now be an ex Jet HC .

What woulda coulda shoulda is all any discussion involving Geno Smith rests on. It's all fantasy and bias-driven conjecture.

What happened happened and couldn't have happened any other way, because it happened - Morpheus.

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

dude he threw it 4 feet above his head. Decent play on the ball? Is going to run his route on stilts? 

are you f-ing blind?  It was not "4 ft over his head.  Watch again.  Maybe a foot to 1.5 feet high, but if in coverage you want to get your WR to jump when targeting the ball to get an edge on his defender.  This WR was either in the wrong place or just failed jump for a catchable ball. .  

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Ya think? 

until proven otherwise Hack is the 3rd QB  

That "OOF" noise at the end is a camera man getting hit with the football. 

maybe the WR should have jumped a little more than an inch.  

20 minutes ago, rangerous said:

did the receiver even extend his arms?  the throw was a little off but it looked like the receiver didn't even try to go up and get the ball.

I have never been more excited for a training camp than I am for this one. I love you guys so much

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

are you f-ing blind?  It was not "4 ft over his head.  Watch again.  Maybe a foot to 1.5 feet high, but if in coverage you want to get your WR to jump when targeting the ball to get an edge on his defender.  This WR was either in the wrong place or just failed jump for a catchable ball. .  

tenor.gif

-I'm actually somewhat encouraged by the video of Hackenberg missing the receiver.  It's a quick out route, but notice his feet on the throw.  It's pointed almost directly at the receiver, which is mechanically sound.  In college, he had this really bad habit of opening up his hips too much (in this case, it would have been more towards the sideline instead of at the receiver) which made his throws float.  It at least shows some signs that he worked on his mechanics in the off-season so that is encouraging.  

-Lol at Fitzpatrick claiming the Jets did him wrong.  This is where Bowles really needs to step up and defend his team.  He can't play the good guy card and just brush it off.  I wish someone would show Fitz the statistics that proved he sh*t all the throne the Jets placed under him.   

-I don't believe in much of the results of practices because it's in the middle of the off-season and timing is bound to be off.  I see it more as glorified combine drills for each team.  In this case, I care more about athletes performing at premium positions like WR/CB.  Are there reports on receivers standing out (good/bad?) or any CBs that looked good?  

-Sheldon still taking jabs at Marshall, which should be interesting as the season goes on.  Marshall has a voice on TV and will play for a team expected to compete so I expect some shots back from him as well.  This could escalate to full blown media war if the team isn't careful.  

On 5/23/2017 at 5:35 PM, win4ever said:

-I'm actually somewhat encouraged by the video of Hackenberg missing the receiver.  It's a quick out route, but notice his feet on the throw.  It's pointed almost directly at the receiver, which is mechanically sound.  In college, he had this really bad habit of opening up his hips too much (in this case, it would have been more towards the sideline instead of at the receiver) which made his throws float.  It at least shows some signs that he worked on his mechanics in the off-season so that is encouraging.  

-Lol at Fitzpatrick claiming the Jets did him wrong.  This is where Bowles really needs to step up and defend his team.  He can't play the good guy card and just brush it off.  I wish someone would show Fitz the statistics that proved he sh*t all the throne the Jets placed under him.   

-I don't believe in much of the results of practices because it's in the middle of the off-season and timing is bound to be off.  I see it more as glorified combine drills for each team.  In this case, I care more about athletes performing at premium positions like WR/CB.  Are there reports on receivers standing out (good/bad?) or any CBs that looked good?  

-Sheldon still taking jabs at Marshall, which should be interesting as the season goes on.  Marshall has a voice on TV and will play for a team expected to compete so I expect some shots back from him as well.  This could escalate to full blown media war if the team isn't careful.  

-  Agreed.  Mechanics look cleaner from top to bottom. Flailing hitch in his wind up that popped up at the end of his PSU career seems to be gone.  Footwork looks much cleaner, as do his hips.  Props to Jordan Palmer, the guy he works with.  His brother (Carson) has the cleanest mechanics and the least amount of "wasted" motion in the NFL.  Only other guy that comes close is Brady.  Hack aside, Jordan has worked with some top tier prospects in the last few years and is really starting to carve himself a nice career and reputation as a Quarterback guru.  I wanted to see Hack give Tom House a visit in the off-season but it's pretty clear that the things that he is tweaking right now with Jordan, mechanically, appear to be working.  At risk of sounding too defensive, I'm putting the incompletion more on the WR.  Throw could have been in a better spot, but it was certainly catchable for NFL talent.  You wanna pull up lazy like that at an NFL camp?  Pack your bags and go do it in a pick up game at your local rec center.

-  Fitz can f*ck off.  I haven't disliked a player like this in a long time.

-  Hansen caught a couple of nice deep balls today.  Flashed much better separation compared to his rookie camp display.  Was a liiiiiiitttttle sloppy in his route running, particularly during crossing patterns, but nothing horrific.  Some work in the NFL will certainly polish that up.  Again, his overall route running was improved from a couple of weeks ago so you're already seeing that.  Austin Sefarian-Jenkins supposedly had a great practice too, and Morris Claiborne had blanket coverage on every WR he went up against, picking off McCown once.  Supposedly, Enunwa looked very smooth in and out of his breaks and showed improved route running as a whole.  He worked with Hack and McCown for the most part.  Anderson flashed his hands and speed today on some pretty balls in stride from Hack and Petty.  Decker looked solid which many guys said seemed very encouraging.  No stiffness at all, which was good to hear about a guy who had hip surgery in the off-season.  Leggett turned some heads today with a solid practice.

-  I doubt we hear a big rebuttal from Marshall but who knows.  I really hope not.  I don't know of a guy less self aware than Sheldon Richardson.  That is disappointingly impressive.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

-  Agreed.  Mechanics look cleaner from top to bottom. Flailing hitch in his wind up that popped up at the end of his PSU career seems to be gone.  Footwork looks much cleaner as do his hips.  Props to Jordan Palmer, the guy he works with.  His brother (Carson) has the cleanest mechanics and the least amount of "wasted" motion in the NFL.  Only other guy that comes close is Brady.  Hack aside, Jordan has worked with some top tier prospects in the last few years and is really starting to carve himself a nice career and reputation as a Quarterback guru.  I wanted to see Hack give Tom House a visit in the off-season but its clear that the things that he is tweaking right now, mechanically, appear to be working.  At risk of sounding too defensive, I'm putting the incompletion more on the WR.  Throw could have been in a better spot, but it was certainly watchable for NFL talent.

-  Fitz can f*ck off.  I haven't disliked a player like this in a long time.

-  Hansen caught a couple of nice deep balls today.  Austin Sefarian-Jenkins supposedly had a great practice, and Morris Claiborne had blanket coverage on every WR he went up against, picking off McCown once.  Supposedly, Enunwa looked very smooth in and out of his breaks and showed improved route running as a whole.  He worked with Hack and McCown for the most part.  Anderson flashed his hands and speed today on some pretty balls in stride from Hack and Petty.  Decker looked solid which many guys said seemed very encouraging.  No stiffness which was good to hear about a guy who had hip surgery.  Leggett turned some heads today with a solid practice.

-  I doubt we hear a big rebuttal from Marshall but who knows.  I really hope not.

Yeah, I wish there was more video of him playing today.  Brady is the epitome of improving after leaving college, because as a Michigan fan, I saw him play on a regular basis and he didn't stand out as a top tier QB at all.  Heck, Drew Henson clearly looked better than him and miles ahead of him in potential.  However, to Brady's credit he's gotten immensely better with his deep passes and his accuracy to a point where I have to admit he's the greatest of all time right now.  Yeah, I heard he worked out with Watson this off-season, and he was another QB that had some issue with mechanics.  I wanted him to go to House as well, or possibly somehow get Peyton to spend some time with the QBs because I really want someone to come in and help with dissecting how to read defenses at the line.   It's not a horrible throw, I think the media reported it mainly because it hit someone on the sideline.  It's not a great throw, but it can be catch-able if the guy turned around quicker.  It's mostly the timing that is off with that throw because I think Hackenberg let that ball go a bit too soon.

-Fitz is just a dick, I hate him ever since he went off on being benched last year.  If I was the coach, I would have waived him that week if I could because we weren't going anywhere and he is absolutely not a leader for the team.  I still would like to hear from the media idiots making fun of him now, that created this "Master and Commander" aura around Fitz after 2015 and how the team rallies around him.  

-Thanks for the recap, I appreciate it.  I went on twitter but it was Hackenberg missing a throw, and then all Fitz.  Really happy to hear about Hansen because he has some real nice potential.  His route tree is limited, but I really hope he can step up because we need a young WR core.  A future core of Enunwa/Stewart/Anderson/Hansen/Peake/Cannon would work out really well for the Jets.  Really nice to hear about ASJ, although sucks with the suspension but he had a ton of talent when he came out.  If he can get committed, we could have a nice 1-2 combination with ASJ-Legget.  I'm not sure why Kellen Davis was ever on the team.   And great to hear about Decker after the surgery.  

-I don't really see Marshall as the type to stay quiet and Sheldon the type to find a way to get back at each other.  

Christian Hackenberg observations: How'd he look at Jets' first OTA?

Updated May 23, 2017 
Posted May 23, 2017

0shares

By Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Did Christian Hackenberg show improvements in his first practice since 2016? Here are a few observations from the Jets' OTA workout No. 1 of 10

Jets Football 
Christian Hackenberg observations

Intentional or not, the Jets didn't make observing Christian Hackenberg's first public throws since the 2016 preseason finale very easy. At the team's first organizes team activity of the year, Hackenberg worked on the far field away from the media. He threw primarily to scrub receivers, who were covered by scrub defenders. 

Still, we did our part to observe everything Hackenberg did. How'd he look? Was he improved from an inactive rookie season? Should Jets fans be hopeful this team finally has a franchise quarterback?

Here are a few observations. 

Oh, before we get to them: This was the first of 10 voluntary offseason workouts. Players wore shorts and shirts. If you thought you'd get an inkling on Hackenberg's franchise quarterback potential, you're crazy. 

Now to the takeaways ... 

AP Photo

The stats

I missed the first set of team drills for Hackenberg as he snuck over to the far field. I grabbed him on his second rotation through the rest of the way. 

11-on-11
9 of 14 | INT

7-on-7 
13 of 19 | 2 dropped INTs

It's an open competition

New Jets offensive coordinator John Morton made one thing clear when he met the media: This is an open quarterback competition. While Hackenberg was third in the pecking order Tuesday, that won't be the case the rest of the week. Each quarterback will get equal reps.

Tuesday, Hackenberg worked on the far field while Josh McCown got most first-team reps. Bryce Petty rotated between the two fields. The Jets have two more OTAs this week. Judging by what Morton said, Hackenberg will get the majority of the first-team reps one of those days.

Both practices are closed to the media, though. So no one will actually know how Hackenberg plays.  

Not the best competition

Hackenberg had plenty of downs on Tuesday, but it's tough to get an accurate read on his play. He wasn't playing with the best competition. Hackenberg threw to and against rookies, undrafted free agents and players on the bottom of the 90-man roster. A few errant throws could be on Hackenberg, or a receiver running a wrong route. It's impossible to know. 

Footwork seems improved

Hackenberg was horribly inaccurate in college. He wasn't much better his first season with the Jets — in practice and training camp. A big reason for this was his footwork. He spent a lot of time this offseason with Jordan Palmer, brother of Carson and the quarterback guru he worked with leading up to the draft. It looks like they focused on his feet. 

It's early, but they look much more consistent and robotic (in a good way) compared to his rookie season. You can check it out in some video highlights here. 

Short accuracy issues still there

Again, this is the first of 10 organized team activity practices. You can't take much out of it. There's a lot of time between now, the start of camp, preseason and Week 1. Still, Hackenberg continues to struggle with short passes. 

Most throws within those 0-5 yards are inconsistent. It's not like Hackenberg is throwing them 10 yards over a guy's head or bouncing them, but they rarely hit the numbers. The wideout/running back has to reach a yard to this left, right, or down. In practices against air, this isn't a bad thing. In an NFL game where every inch matters, it's huge. 

The arm strength is still there

Hackenberg has a cannon, no doubt. He seems more comfortable throwing deep than short, in my opinion. 

Twice Hackenberg connected with tight end Jordan Leggett on deep crossing routes. Two more times he connected with (I believe — was on the far field) Chad Hansen on back-shoulder throws 20-ish yards down the field. Those aren't easy passes, but Hackenberg made them look easy. 

When he misses ... he really misses

This was my biggest issue with Hackenberg last year. It's still my biggest issue today. When the guy misses, they are back-breaking misses. Just horrific throws. 

Hackenberg threw one interception when he forced the ball into zone coverage. He should have thrown another two when safety Doug Middleton jumped the route, and Hackenberg threw it anyway, but Middleton dropped them. Hackenberg attempted to throw a swing pass to running back Elijah McGuire, but sailed the ball 15 yards over his head. He bounced once to a wide-open receiver on a five-yard curl. 

Hackenberg will wow you one second, then wow you in the other sense with his very next pass. Here's an example (video here). The ball just gets away. This happens far too often. 

Overview

It's tough to formulate Hackenberg observations based off one OTA. He was on the far field for starters, and playing with (mostly) scrubs. There was some good, and some bad. 

Morton says Hackenberg will get his equal share of first-team reps. If they come on May 23 or June 6 (the other two OTAs open to the media) takeaways will be much more telling. There's a difference between threading the needle past Morris Claiborne to Eric Decker, and bombing one deep to K.D. Cannon, who beat Bryson Keeton. 

Overall grade? We'll give this one an INCOMPLETE. 

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

And in other news, 

What a f'ing douche. 

I really dont like this man. The Jets gave this guy every opportunity to a fault, and a great portion of this fanbase supported this asshat. 

This is why you dont pay career back ups as "mentors".They end up being really ungrateful after they jacked your franchise for 15 million dollars in 2 years. 

4 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

seems to have no accountability for his performance.  

4 hours ago, BCJet said:

Good god I hate Fitz more then any other Jet that has worn Green and White.  The "chair got pulled out from you" - you were the lowest ranked starting QB in the ENTIRE LEAGUE.  You werent 10th after having some bad luck.  You werent having a down start to the season after having a good career.  You are a backup who refused to grasp that he wasnt a gunslinger and completely crushed the team with  your on field play, and the lockerroom with your horrendous attitude off it.

He should be thankful for every dollar he received here, not making snide comments after a season with the lowest QB ranking of the top 30 guys.

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

at this point it's just sour grapes though.  he's not selling himself anymore.  he could have taken the high road, instead he acts like the starting job should still be his despite his play.  he's not fooling anyone.

Rich Cimini 

Former Jets QB Ryan Fitzpatrick's comments to the Tampa media were taken out of context on Twitter. Here's the full quote about losing his job last season: "That's the harsh reality of the NFL. There's only so many jobs that are available. I can't complain about it. Last year I was the starter. If you play well as the starter, you continue to play. I didn't play well, so I lost the game of musical chairs. They pulled out my chair from under me."

2 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Rich Cimini 

Former Jets QB Ryan Fitzpatrick's comments to the Tampa media were taken out of context on Twitter. Here's the full quote about losing his job last season: "That's the harsh reality of the NFL. There's only so many jobs that are available. I can't complain about it. Last year I was the starter. If you play well as the starter, you continue to play. I didn't play well, so I lost the game of musical chairs. They pulled out my chair from under me."

LOL

Got to love the media

Jets OTAs Day 1: 8 takeaways, including Eric Decker, Bryce Petty, Josh McCown

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The Jets on Tuesday held their first of 10 organized team activities practices. Here are some observations and takeaways from the practice. But first, a reminder: This was one day of non-contact, no-pads practice in late May — and the first day of OTAs, no less. Please don't read too much into this stuff, in terms of big-picture takeaways. Three of the Jets' 10 OTAs practices are open to reporters. We will bring you observations and takeaways from all three practices, but that obviously doesn't comprise the totality of OTAs action

New York Jets OTA, 5-23-17 
ERIC DECKER LOOKED SHARP

John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Decker is coming off hip and shoulder surgeries, but you wouldn't know it by watching him Tuesday. He moved around at full speed — and moved around very well. 

At one point, Decker made a sliding, rolling catch. And then he popped right up and jogged back to the huddle. He showed no obvious ill effects of two surgeries.

Decker wore a red (non-contact) jersey Tuesday. But he did participate in 11-on-11 teams period action. A great sign for him. 

SO DID AUSTIN SEFERIAN-JENKINS

Seferian-Jenkins, a tight end, made a few nice catches and showed sure hands. He looked lighter and faster, having lost weight in the offseason. Will this bode well for him? We'll see. 

The Jets want to involve the tight end position more under offensive coordinator John Morton than they did under Chan Gailey, who barely threw to the tight ends at all. 

The Jets did draft a tight end (Jordan Leggett), and Seferian-Jenkins will serve a two-game suspension to begin the season (DUI arrest). But if Seferian-Jenkins continues to play well, he'll have a role for the Jets. 

WHO RETURNED PUNTS?

The Jets did only punt return drills Tuesday, and not kickoff return action. The guys back there were Brisly Estime (undrafted rookie), Frankie Hammond, and Romar Morris. 

Special teams coordinator Brant Boyer said both return jobs are wide open for competition. Jalin Marshall was the Jets' primary return man last season. 

But Marshall was erratic in those roles. And he will serve a four-game suspension (PEDs) to begin the season. While Marshall is involved in the competition (according to Boyer), it'll be interesting to see if one of the other guys can make him expendable. Boyer said he could also look at running back Elijah McGuire (sixth-round draft pick) as an option for the return jobs

JALIN MARSHALL STRUGGLED

Not a great practice for him. He had a couple drops, and also drew the ire of the coaches for his miscues. 

Again, this was just one practice, so don't read a ton into this stuff. But Marshall is obviously battling for a roster spot this offseason, after the Jets drafted two receivers (Chad Hansen and ArDarius Stewart).

The Jets' top three receivers right now are Decker, Quincy Enunwa, and Robby Anderson. The draft picks will stick. Marshall and Charone Peake are roster-fringe guys, at this point. 

CALVIN PRYOR WAS ABSENT 

These are voluntary practices, in OTAs, just like the entire offseason program until June minicamp. 

But it was an interesting move by Pryor to not attend Tuesday's opening day of OTAs, after the Jets drafted two safeties high — Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye. 

JOHN MORTON IS LOUD 

The Jets' new offensive coordinator is no wallflower. He is definitely more vocal on the field than Gailey. 

Now, we'll see if this leads to better results than the Jets had last season, in Gailey's second year with them. They were pretty darn good in 2015 under him, remember. 

Throughout Tuesday's practice, Morton shouted commands, criticism, and praise at his players. This looks like it'll be a regular thing. It's just how Morton operates. 

AILING GUYS 

The following players wore red (non-contact) jerseys, but participated in practice: Jalin Marshall, Eric Decker, Darryl Roberts, and Marcus Maye. They all got action in team periods. 

Right guard Brian Winters (shoulder surgery) and left tackle Kelvin Beachum didn't participate in team periods. 

Nor did rookie cornerback Jeremy Clark, who is coming off a torn ACL. 

HOW DID BRYCE PETTY, JOSH MCCOWN LOOK? 

We have a separate set of observations on quarterback Christian Hackenberg. Click here for those. 

But what about Bryce Petty and Josh McCown? How did they perform Tuesday? 

McCown, the veteran journeyman, was definitely sharper. On Day 1, he looked like the best of the three quarterbacks. No surprise. Hackenberg got action on the far field. Petty got some there, and some on the near field, where McCown received most of the snaps with the first team. 

McCown completed 11 of 14 passes in team periods action, while Petty was 4 of 7. McCown was victimized by a Quincy Enunwa drop (though the throw was a little high). McCown threw one interception, to Morris Claiborne, on a ball intended for Myles White. 

2 hours ago, win4ever said:

This is where Bowles has to grow a pair and lay down the law, basically you tell Sheldon you want to talk your riding pine. 

Archived