met life question - mezz seat view

batman10023

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

I love it when people tell us how to spend our fun money.  This Oh The Pain guy....

How much you want to bet he is a smoker, owns a dog, and drinks beer?  And that's not a waste of money.  LOL.

Annual cost of a pack-a-day smoker is $5,220

Annual cost of a dog is $1,300

Annual cost of 6 pack-per-week beer drinker is $725

Annual cost of smoking, drinking, and dog ownership is $7,245

Annual cost of 2 Jets PSL's is $266

SAR I

Your abacus is working overtime.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, SAR I said:

I love it when people tell us how to spend our fun money.  This Oh The Pain guy....

How much you want to bet he is a smoker, owns a dog, and drinks beer?  And that's not a waste of money.  LOL.

Annual cost of a pack-a-day smoker is $5,220

Annual cost of a dog is $1,300

Annual cost of 6 pack-per-week beer drinker is $725

Annual cost of smoking, drinking, and dog ownership is $7,245

Annual cost of 2 Jets PSL's is $266

SAR I

Don't smoke and no dog ; but I do eat grey poupon !!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, OH THE PAIN said:

Do you want to buy a bridge ?

LOL

Why would it bother you that SAR spent 19 grand on a watch?  I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a watch, but a motorcycle?  Yep, done that.  A fishing boat? Yep, done that.  A watch? Not so much.

If it brings some joy to SAR, and he can afford it, why not?

don't have row 1 opportunity but perhaps row 2

i don't want to be in row 1.  (not that they are available anyway).
row 2 seems safer - no chance of kid falling over 

the higher potential resale value isn't worth even the small risk of having a kid in row 1.   doesn't matter, row 1 isn't available.
although i think there is some row 1s in the secondary market.

My son is probably less calm than your kids. Either way row one isn't available. Only row two. 

I lol'd...

14 hours ago, flgreen said:

LOL

Why would it bother you that SAR spent 19 grand on a watch?  I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a watch, but a motorcycle?  Yep, done that.  A fishing boat? Yep, done that.  A watch? Not so much.

If it brings some joy to SAR, and he can afford it, why not?

Exactly.

The Jets are a form of family entertainment for us and that's that.  There is no "overpaid" or "bad value" in the equation. 

You eat a meal at a decent restaurant, costs you $200, the next day you sh*t it out in a toilet.  Did you waste your money?   You take a vacation with the wife in Italy, it costs you $8,000, the week you get back all you have are some social media posts and a souvenir t-shirt.  Did you waste your money?

You can't put a price on experiences.  They don't pay you back, on paper they look foolish, but in the end it's about time we spend with friends and family and you can't put a price on that.

SAR I

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Exactly.

The Jets are a form of family entertainment for us and that's that.  There is no "overpaid" or "bad value" in the equation. 

You eat a meal at a decent restaurant, costs you $200, the next day you sh*t it out in a toilet.  Did you waste your money?   You take a vacation with the wife in Italy, it costs you $8,000, the week you get back all you have are some social media posts and a souvenir t-shirt.  Did you waste your money?

You can't put a price on experiences.  They don't pay you back, on paper they look foolish, but in the end it's about time we spend with friends and family and you can't put a price on that.

SAR I

It's about making memories.

And there's nothing better than a good sh*t.

7 minutes ago, Flushing Roots said:

It's about making memories.

And there's nothing better than a good sh*t.

I guess we get to do both at once all season. Can't wait for this year's memories.

I may have to go food shopping more often this year.  

"Paper or Plastic sir?" 

"I'm a Jets fan. Either will do"

Image result for browns bag

59 minutes ago, mtwarlock31 said:

I guess we get to do both at once all season. Can't wait for this year's memories.

I may have to go food shopping more often this year.  

"Paper or Plastic sir?" 

"I'm a Jets fan. Either will do"

Image result for browns bag

It's good that you posted a pic of ashamed Browns fans because that's the model the Jets have chosen to follow instead of continuing to succeed with free agents over draft picks.

SAR I

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It's good that you posted a pic of ashamed Browns fans because that's the model the Jets have chosen to follow instead of continuing to succeed with free agents over draft picks.

SAR I

Let's not get too excited. It's one year. I wouldn't, or should anyone, be surprised to see Woody hit the panic button next off-season. I agree though, it is the right step, but it's the next step that counts.

1 hour ago, mtwarlock31 said:

Let's not get too excited. It's one year. I wouldn't, or should anyone, be surprised to see Woody hit the panic button next off-season. I agree though, it is the right step, but it's the next step that counts.

It's not the right step.

Since 2003 not a single Super Bowl Champion was built this so-called "right way" by being patient in the draft and slowly rebuilding.  Each winner did one thing right-  they got a franchise quarterback.  Either through draft luck or through free agency, you get a franchise quarterback, you're going to be one of the lucky few who get to take home Lombardi.

Other teams since 2003 have tried to do it this 'right way'.  Teams like the Browns, Bills, Dolphins, Vikings, Lions, Jaguars, Redskins, I think they have combined for 1 playoff win between them the last 15 years.  They drafted just as well as, say, the Ravens or Seahawks, they just didn't hit on the QB like the other teams did.

So perhaps you want to invest the next 20 seasons without free agents in the hope that we get lucky and ring the quarterback bell for the first time since Namath, perhaps you're willing to go 25 years without a playoff appearance like some of these other teams.  Me, I want us to load up on free agents and see what we can do with a QB that falls to us or we find in free agency.  It's not like it didn't work well from 2000-2011.

SAR I

21 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It's not the right step.

Since 2003 not a single Super Bowl Champion was built this so-called "right way" by being patient in the draft and slowly rebuilding.  Each winner did one thing right-  they got a franchise quarterback.  Either through draft luck or through free agency, you get a franchise quarterback, you're going to be one of the lucky few who get to take home Lombardi.

Other teams since 2003 have tried to do it this 'right way'.  Teams like the Browns, Bills, Dolphins, Vikings, Lions, Jaguars, Redskins, I think they have combined for 1 playoff win between them the last 15 years.  They drafted just as well as, say, the Ravens or Seahawks, they just didn't hit on the QB like the other teams did.

So perhaps you want to invest the next 20 seasons without free agents in the hope that we get lucky and ring the quarterback bell for the first time since Namath, perhaps you're willing to go 25 years without a playoff appearance like some of these other teams.  Me, I want us to load up on free agents and see what we can do with a QB that falls to us or we find in free agency.  It's not like it didn't work well from 2000-2011.

SAR I

I'd rather spend the next 5 years hunting for a QB through the draft than keep plugging in free agents.  Only 5 teams have won the SB on the road as wild-cards in the playoffs, 4 of which had franchise QBs. Unless you're watching a different Tom Brady and co then I am, we have no shot to win the division this decade.

Has a free agent QB taken a team to the Super Bowl other than Manning and Brees? It seems to be an incredibly rare set of circumstances that would lead to a team allowing a franchise QB to leave via free agency.

14 minutes ago, isired said:

Has a free agent QB taken a team to the Super Bowl other than Manning and Brees? It seems to be an incredibly rare set of circumstances that would lead to a team allowing a franchise QB to leave via free agency.

:lol: 

Doug Williams - 1987 Redskins and won 

Trent Dilfer - 2000 Ravens and won 

Brad Johnson - 2002 Bucaneers and won

Rich Gannon - 2002 Raiders but lost

Jake Delhomme - 2003 Panthers but lost

Kurt Warner - 2008 Cardinals but lost

you can also throw in Chris Chandler as he was traded by the Oilers to Atlanta for a 4th round pick and he took ATL to its first SuperBowl in '98

6 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

:lol: 

Doug Williams - 1988 Redskins and won 

Trent Dilfer - 2000 Ravens and won 

Brad Johnson - 2002 Bucaneers and won

Rich Gannon - 2002 Raiders but lost

Jake Delhomme - 2003 Panthers but lost

Kurt Warner - 2008 Cardinals but lost

you can also throw in Chris Chandler as he was traded by the Oilers to Atlantan for a 4th round pick and took ATL to its first SuperBowl in '98

All these teams at least had home playoff games to show for it. Something that won't happen for the Jets as long as Tom Brady walks out of the tunnel.

OK I figured I missed a few, but of those only Warner and possibly Williams could be considered franchise QBs.

So if your list is comprehensive, essentially of the last 56 SB QBs, about 47 have been drafted or signed undrafted.

43 minutes ago, mtwarlock31 said:

All these teams at least had home playoff games to show for it. Something that won't happen for the Jets as long as Tom Brady walks out of the tunnel.

That has NOTHING to do with answering the question and correcting the false assumption that you can not attain a Conference Champion QB via Free Agency, let alone a Super Bowl winning one.

People don't seem to realize a QB gets better with age and experience, but the Catch-22 is that his body has already started to deteriorate after so many years in the league and results in canceling out that Veteran know-how due to physical limitations as a result of his age and the physical abuse absorbed by being in the league. 

6 minutes ago, isired said:

OK I figured I missed a few, but of those only Warner and possibly Williams could be considered franchise QBs.

So if your list is comprehensive, essentially of the last 56 SB QBs, about 47 have been drafted or signed undrafted.

That was not the question you posed NOR did the label of "being a Franchise QB" come into play. you asked if it's possible to ATTAIN a QB via Free Agency that can take you to the Superbowl, and the Answer is YES. 

25 minutes ago, isired said:

8 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

That has NOTHING to do with answering the question and correcting the false assumption that you can not attain a Conference Champion QB via Free Agency,let alone a Super Bowl winning one.

People don't seem to realize a QB gets better with age and experience, but the Catch-22 is that his body has already started to deteriorate after so many years in the league and results in canceling out that Veteran know-how due to physical limitations due to age. 

Who said your comment was wrong? I'm stating that it is highly unlikely for the Jets to win a SB via free agency while Tom Brady still breaths.

So based on the formula for acquiring a free agent franchise QB, we're hoping Rodgers goes down in preseason, the Packers go 1-15 and draft Darnold, then cut Rodgers after Darnold is lights-out next preseason.

31 minutes ago, isired said:

My bad. We're looking for a franchise QB, I thought that part was a given, and what was being discussed above. We're not lights-out in every other department, looking for our Dilfer or Johnson.

It depends on your school of thought. 

you make the valid point that being "lights-out" in other aspects (Top Defense, Stud workhorse RB, genuine luck, etc.) alleviates A LOT of the pressure off the QB; being "competent" enough to run the offense and not turn the ball over (i.e. Russell Wilson in 2013) is sufficient to make it to the SB. Yes, all other cylinders have to be clicking, but you don't necessarily NEED a Franchise QB to make it to the SuperBowl, but I'm convinced that it DEFINITELY HELPS to have one. 

It depends on your school of thought. 
you make the valid point that being "lights-out" in other aspects (Top Defense, Stud workhorse RB, genuine luck, etc.) alleviates A LOT of the pressure off the QB; being "competent" enough to run the offense and not turn the ball over (i.e. Russell Wilson in 2013) is sufficient to make it the the SB. Yes, all other cylinders have to be clicking, but you don't necessarily NEED a Franchise QB to make it to the SuperBowl, but I'm convinced that it DEFINITELY HELPS to have one. 

In theory, 'you' don't necessarily need one. But in our situation, 'we need one. And, in practice, the vast majority of teams that win SBs have one, and then go to and/or win multiple.

3 minutes ago, Matthew007b said:

whatever you do for a living Sar.. I wish I was doing it.  I'm tired of being a grunt-lower food chain-worker. :(

Then CONTINUE to EDUCATE yourself AND ACQUIRE SKILLS that separate you from the masses. 

Education and Consistency in your work is what sets you free. :)

6 minutes ago, isired said:

In theory, 'you' don't necessarily need one. But in our situation, 'we need one. And, in practice, the vast majority of teams that win SBs have one, and then go to and/or win multiple.

Matter of opinion The 2009 and 2010 teams were not predicated on a Franchise QB and the strength of those teams were the Defense and the Run Game. 

2005 Seahawks were the same formula with Hasselbeck as QB and Shaun Alexander was 90% of their offense. 

Matter of opinion The 2009 and 2010 teams were not predicated on a Franchise QB and the strength of those teams were the Defense and the Run Game. 
2005 Seahawks were the same formula with Hasselbeck as QB and Shaun Alexander was 90% of their offense. 

Yep - lights out D and running game. We don't have either, and won't, unless we stop going after a QB.

14 minutes ago, isired said:

Yep - lights out D and running game. We don't have either, and won't, unless we stop going after a QB.

The Jets have added significant talent (even if still raw) on all 3 levels of the defense: DLine -Mo, Shelly, Leo. LBs - Lee, Jenkins, Donahue. DBs - Burris, Allen, Maye, Clark , and Jones. So the foundation towards a Top Defense is in the works and the only question really is the DC, meanwhile with a WCO now being installed, you don't NEED a franchise QB to execute that balanced offensive attack , merely a non-turning over game manager that can get the ball to his playmakers. 

Archived