Touchdown Celebrations Are Back

JetNation

ickey-woods-shuffle.jpg?fit=555%2C366

The NFL is holding their spring league meeting in Chicago this week. Apparently they are trying to shake the No Fun League nickname and today they announced that touchdown celebrations are back. Let’s start with what you still can’t do.

• Offensive demonstrations
  • Celebrations that are prolonged and delay the game
  • Those directed at an opponent

If you do any of those, you will still be penalized. Sorry Mark Gastineau the sack dance slows down the game and it doesn’t involved a touchdown, so that one probably won’t be making a comeback any time soon.

How does the NFL explain what has changed?

We are relaxing our rules on celebrations to allow players more room to have fun after they make big plays.

We know that you love the spontaneous displays of emotion that come after a spectacular touchdown. And players have told us they want more freedom to be able to express themselves and celebrate their athletic achievements.  So we will now see celebrations that fall into these categories:

• Using the football as a prop after a TD
  • Celebrating on the ground
  • Group demonstrations

My immediate thought is, hopefully the Jets get in the end zone this year. Once they work out that small issue it will be fun to watch the celebrations. Ickey Shuffle anyone?

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
vtpu3QJ7tBo

Click here to read the full story...

22 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Since all anyone watches anymore are the RedZone scores, this makes sense.

That's a good point. That guys job just got harder when he does the end of the day every TD review. They just doubled that clip.

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You need to score a TD before you can celebrate one so I don't think that's going to be an issue for us this year. 

The Jets will score at least one touchdown in the preseason and at least ten during the regular season. 

2 minutes ago, pointman said:

When Sheldon runs it in, with Leonard lead blocking.. it will be glorious. 

I can't wait to see the "Where the ho's at" celebratory performance in the end zone.

8 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

About time. So silly that there was even a celebration rule in the first place.

I mean, they overstepped the mark, but i can understand the rationale.

With the rule now removed, players will come up with the most ludicrous, choreographed celebrations. Somewhere down the line, a player will do something that is deemed un-kosher, offending all the sensitive viewers.

Then we'll get a 60 minute segment on ESPN/sportscenter discussing whether the NFL should reinstate a slightly less stringent version of the rule in order to curb freedom of expression.

On 2017-5-24 at 4:16 PM, pointman said:

When Sheldon runs it in, with Leonard lead blocking.. it will be glorious. 

Sheldon will celebrate by grabbing a random kid from the crowd, jumping into a car with him and circling Met Life at > 100mph. Meanwhile the PA system will call out "where da hoes at?"

Archived