kelly

new offensive coordinator John Morton,.. Metallica & QB's ~ ~ ~

-- John Morton walked into his first news conference on Tuesday, spotted a reporter wearing a Metallica shirt and complimented the reporter on her taste in music.

So now we know the New York Jets' new offensive coordinator is a fan of the legendary heavy-metal band. As far as coaching, he's a bit of a mystery man because he's 47 years old and this is his first gig as an NFL coordinator and playcaller. In fact, the Jets were the first team that interviewed him for an OC job.

Hey, he's 1-for-1.

Morton took the job for one reason -- "Opportunity," he said -- and now he faces the enormous challenge of fixing the Jets' offense. How will he do it?

Cue the guitar riff.

Enter, Morton.

A few takeaways from his first interview session :

1. Morton declined to call it a West Coast offense (it is), preferring to speak in generalities. He stressed the importance of ball security, saying it's his No. 1 priority. In fact, he showed the players film cut-ups on ball protection before taking the practice field for the first time. This has been a huge problem for the Jets. Since 2011, they've committed a league-high 182 turnovers. "If we win the turnover battle," he said, "we have a better chance of getting to the playoffs."

2. The Jets will be a game plan-specific offense, meaning they will change each week based on their opponent and matchups. The New England Patriots are the best example of this style. As Morton said, "It's not going to be just one thing, this is what we do. I think that's important." Under his predecessor, Chan Gailey, the Jets fell somewhere in the middle of the spectrum.

4. Morton wasn't about to handicap the three-man quarterback competition, but he named two characteristics he wants from his starting quarterback: "Take care of the ball -- I think that's important -- and move the chains. I think that's important." He spent the past two seasons with the New Orleans Saints and Drew Brees. He may experience some culture shock in New York.

5. He will call plays from up in the booth, as Gailey did. His point man on the sideline will be quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates.

6. Morton is big on intangibles, especially competitiveness. That came through when discussing his three quarterbacks, Josh McCown, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg. He called them "gym rats" with a "blue-collar mentality." It sounds like attitude will be an important part of his approach. Morton himself comes across as an old-school grinder, which is how one of his mentors, Jon Gruden, described him.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68927/jets-new-offensive-coordinator-likes-metallica-and-qbs-who-protect-the-ball

2789691586_380503322f_z.jpg?zz=1

..i Luv them  :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Well at least his taste for music and mine are on the same page. Good start.

ooooh,.. MaxAF, Morton @  me..

two-men-and-one-woman-by-tree-talking.jp

...too cool !  :wub:

-- The Jets' offensive coordinator vacancy wasn't the most attractive NFL coaching job open this past offseason. With a talent-deficient roster, potential lame-duck coach, and a where-to-even-start quarterback position, top-tier names were not sending Woody Johnson their resumes.But longtime assistant John Morton jumped at the chance to join Todd Bowles' staff. Why?

"Opportunity," Morton said Tuesday. "I've been a position coach for almost 19 years, and feel I'm ready."

Morton didn't say much in his first meeting with the media. He brushed off questions about what his offense will look like, and offered few details on his philosophy -- unless you consider being "competitive" a strategy.He said the quarterback competition is wide open, but added nothing of note about Josh McCown, Christian Hackenberg or Bryce Petty.

It's too early in the process, Morton said, to pronounce evaluations. He's focused on building the foundation. Needless to say, he has his work cut out for him.In 2016, Jets quarterbacks threw 16 touchdowns and 25 interceptions. Not one player eclipsed 1,000 yards receiving or rushing. The Jets ranked 30th in scoring (17.2 points per game), and 26th in yards per game (329.3).

Expectations aren't high for this year. Morton doesn't care.

"Whatever you say, we're going to come out, this offense is going to come out, and compete every single day," he said. "We're going to do whatever it takes to win the game. Every game plan is going to be different based on who we're playing. It's not going to be just one thing -- this is what we do. I think that's important. To have success, you need to do those things."Morton spoke glowingly about quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates. The two worked together at USC, and they come from the Jon Gruden coaching tree. Morton said his trust in Bates is a big reason Morton will call plays from the booth. Morton said Bates can handle things on the field, while he gets the overview angle from above."I think he is a great, great quarterback coach," Morton said. "I trust him to take over that room. He's called plays before, and he's a good [sounding board] for me, and he's just a great detailed coach, and that's what I love about him."

Morton's impact on the Jets has already been felt. The pace at Tuesday's organized team activity was much faster than under former offensive coordinator Chan Gailey. Morton is more vocal and emotionally intense.Will it make a difference on the field? Well, Morton says it's too early to tell.

"It's a long way to go," Morton said. "There are different phases. You're in shorts, you're going against the defense, now training camp comes, you're going in pads, you play the games - there's a process to this whole thing."

>    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/05/why_did_john_morton_take_jets_offensive_coordinato.html#incart_river_index

So his offense centers around cutting down on TO's. Great. While everyone else will be slinging it around like a frisbee tournament, we'll be dumping it off to our blazing backs.  How exciting!

After being a position coach for nearly 19 years, Jets offensive coordinator John Morton feels like he’s ready for his role as offensive coordinator.  Emphasizing competition throughout his first meeting with the New York media, Morton was asked what are the most important attributes he wants in a starting quarterback.“Take care of the ball… and move the chains.  I think that’s important,” he said. “That’s the No. 1 thing. That’s what I preached this morning, first time going against the defense. I showed them cut-ups of how to take care of the ball and that’s the quarterback making the right decisions.”

Equipped with stats, Morton talked about the importance of turnover margin.

“You win 82 percent of your games if you win the turnover battle, so that’s the biggest thing that we’re going to concentrate on right now,” he said, “and everybody competing to try and get better every day.

As OTAs commence, Morton said 15-year vet Josh McCownicon-article-link.gif, third-year pro Bryce Pettyicon-article-link.gif and NFL sophomore Christian Hackenbergicon-article-link.gif all will be rotating through and receiving the same amount of reps with the starters.“I like how they’re gym rats. I like how all three compete every day and they come to work,” Morton said. “We talk about blue-collar mentality and that’s what they do. That’s what I love about them.”

Morton, who said he’ll call the games upstairs from the booth, was effusive in his praise for QB coach Jeremy Bates. After working together at USC, Morton will have Bates as his eyes and ears down on the field.“Every game plan is going to be different based on who we’re playing,” he said of his offensive philosophy. “It’s not going to be just one thing, this is what we do. I think that’s important.”

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/What-Does-John-Morton-Want-from-the-Jets-QBs/5925997f-d2af-4103-b172-455e01b76e5c

Not sure what to make of his press conference. He didn't really come across to me as an OC, more of an OL coach but it is his first coordinator position. Sounds like we are going to be super conservative on offense. Not all bad if that conservatism is not of the run run pass type of mentality but there are definitely signs of something that is not going to be very dynamic. But all conjecture at this point, looking forward to seeing what he does. I do like a game specific offensive philosophy if he can pull that off. 

2 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

As long as he doesn't take after Lars, we'll be okay.

Once they cashier Todd Bowles out week 17, figure he will be more Dave Mustaine. 

5 hours ago, MaxAF said:

Well at least his taste for music and mine are on the same page. Good start.

Why even mention the Metallica part of this if it isn't touched on at all in the article lol.  Could have at least asked what his favorite songs are or what he thinks of the latest album lol

But I agree he has great taste!

10 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Hopefully he'll turn out to be a Master of Puppets and not a Harvester of Sorrow 

Hopefully with some Kill 'em All, Damage Inc and Battery thrown in too!

7 hours ago, Bugg said:

Once they cashier Todd Bowles out week 17, figure he will be more Dave Mustaine. 

Morton could probably sing better than Dave at this point.

John Morton walked into his first news conference on Tuesday, spotted a reporter wearing a Metallica shirt and complimented the reporter on her taste in music.

Translation: she had a nice rack

10 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

What type of music does bowles listen to?

Robert Johnson delta blues:

Stones In My Passway

Rambling On My Mind

Dead Shrimp Blues

Me And The Devil Blues

32-20 Blues

I have very low expectations... if all of our QBs suck - i just want them to tank (which of course they won't because they are the jets) - if one of our QBs turns out to be someone we can work with and someone who can develop into a starter - then id like to see at minimum 9 wins this season - then build around him and get him an offensive line 

OPPUTUNITY=to be the head coach of the New York Jets next year.  Hack will be gone,Darnold on the roster, McCown recovering from injury as the projected started with Petty as his backup.  Darn old takes over game 5..............ahhhhhh crap,I woke up! 

Perhaps there is light at the end of the tunnel after all.

In the 13 months that Christian Hackenberg has been a member of the Jets, he has received a lot of attention. This happens when you’re a high draft pick and more so when you’re a quarterback.

Unfortunately for Hackenberg and the Jets, much of that attention has been negative.After a rookie year in which he didn’t see the field, despite the dreadful play the Jets got from the QB position, many were lead to believe that New York had already given up on their second-round pick. However, in year two Hackenberg is more confident and seems to have improved on his faults.

According to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, the Jets are starting to feel good about Hackenberg’s development.“They have some cautious optimism that Christian Hackenberg can develop,” Schefter told ESPN’s Mike and Mike. “Within that organization, there’s some hope that he can be salvaged.”

Hackenberg is part of a three-way quarterback competition at Jets camp with Bryce Petty and veteran Josh McCown.

McCown, who’s played for seven different teams and has been teammates with everyone from Johhny Manziel to Kurt Warner, believes Hackenberg has everything it takes to be a successful starting QB in the NFL.“He’s how you draw a quarterback up,” McCown said, according to ESPN. “Big, strong arm, athletic. He fits that mold, for sure. And his mindset, it’s right on. He works very hard. I think he’s a sharp kid. He’s got a lot in front of him. He’s got a great opportunity.”

Despite the recent optimism about Hackenberg, he still needs to prove himself on the field. Unlike last season where he was buried on the depth chart, Hackenberg will get plenty of opportunities to play both in practice and in the preseason. It is here where he’ll begin to show if he has what it takes.

For the first time since the Jets drafted him, there is a genuine optimism about Hackenberg’s future and it’s music to the ears of every Jets fan.

>    http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/26/report-jets-quietly-optimistic-about-christian-hackenbergs-future/

As the Jets’ quarterback battle continues to heat up, Bryce Petty’s confidence has not wavered.

Petty is looking to come out on top for the starting quarterback job over veteran Josh McCown and youngster Christian Hackenberg.

Many believe that Petty has the worst chance to win the job, but he’s not paying attention to the naysayers.“I don’t feel like No. 3. I don’t think Heck feels like No. 3. I don’t feel like Josh feels like he is No. 3,” Petty told reporters on Tuesday. “We are just trying to get better as a unit to get where we want to be this season.”

Petty went through a tough season in 2016,  but that has not hurt his confidence at all. In fact, it has done the opposite.

“I can play this game,” he reminded the media on Tuesday.

It is too early to tell who is going to be the starter. Jets coach Todd Bowles needs to see much more before making a decision.“[Petty’s] learning the offense just like everyone else,” Bowles told NJ.com. “In the fourth practice, it’s starting to slow down for him. It’s a process. As OTAs go, you look for him to improve even more.”

After getting hurt during his run as the starter last year, Petty is working hard to make sure that he gets another chance to be a starting quarterback in the NFL.Some may see Petty as the least likely quarterback to win the job, but the competition is far from over.

“How do you have an underdog?” Petty asked. “I don’t read headlines. I don’t really do things like that. I’m just focused on coming here and being better every day.”

>    http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/31/bryce-petty-confident-as-jets-wide-open-quarterback-battle-continues/

-- When evaluating the New York Jets' quarterback competition, it's important to remember that a new offense is being installed. That tilts the field in favor of the grizzled veteran, Josh McCown, who has experienced just about every style of offense over the course of 14 seasons.

Newbies Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty are at a disadvantage at this early stage because they're learning more than competing. Training camp is when you'd expect them to make their move. For now, anything positive should be considered a bonus.

That explains why the Jets were quite happy with Hackenberg's practice on Tuesday, his best out of the four OTA sessions.

Per the daily quarterback rotation, Hackenberg worked as the No. 2, behind McCown. He nearly threw a pick-six on his first pass in team drills (rookie safety Jamal Adams dropped a wobbly duck), but Hackenberg rallied and made a few throws that highlighted his arm strength. His best pass was a frozen rope to Charone Peake on a deep post route, a well-placed ball that should've been caught. Peake didn't hang on, but it still had to be a confidence-building throw for Hackenberg.

"For it being the fourth practice, he's coming along pretty good," Jets coach Todd Bowles said. "He's getting a grasp of the offense and learning it. With 11 guys out there for the first time, there are going to be mistakes on both sides of the ball, but he's coming along."

We have to be careful not to overanalyze. Remember, it's late May and no one is wearing pads. All we're saying is that Hackenberg took baby steps.

If the season started today, McCown would be the starting quarterback. That's a no-brainer. From a quarterback perspective, the primary objective in the offseason is to get Hackenberg and Petty as many reps as possible. That way, they can feel somewhat comfortable with the offense when they report to training camp in late July. At that point, the next step would be to get them into preseason games.Really, the Jets are trying to do two things at once: Conduct an open competition while developing their two young quarterbacks. Their hope is that the latter will go so well that at least one of them -- presumably, Hackenberg -- will be able to push McCown for the starting job.

Chances are, McCown will be the starter when they open the season Sept. 10 at the Buffalo Bills. That probably would upset many fans, who want the future to start now. Hello? The objective is to win games, especially the first one. But if the Jets can go into that game with a viable No. 2 quarterback -- i.e. Hackenberg, coming off a positive preseason -- they'd feel good about the inevitable passing of the baton.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69058/its-still-early-but-jets-christian-hackenberg-showing-signs-of-progress