new offensive coordinator John Morton,.. Metallica & QB's ~ ~ ~

kelly

-- John Morton walked into his first news conference on Tuesday, spotted a reporter wearing a Metallica shirt and complimented the reporter on her taste in music.

So now we know the New York Jets' new offensive coordinator is a fan of the legendary heavy-metal band. As far as coaching, he's a bit of a mystery man because he's 47 years old and this is his first gig as an NFL coordinator and playcaller. In fact, the Jets were the first team that interviewed him for an OC job.

Hey, he's 1-for-1.

Morton took the job for one reason -- "Opportunity," he said -- and now he faces the enormous challenge of fixing the Jets' offense. How will he do it?

Cue the guitar riff.

Enter, Morton.

A few takeaways from his first interview session :

1. Morton declined to call it a West Coast offense (it is), preferring to speak in generalities. He stressed the importance of ball security, saying it's his No. 1 priority. In fact, he showed the players film cut-ups on ball protection before taking the practice field for the first time. This has been a huge problem for the Jets. Since 2011, they've committed a league-high 182 turnovers. "If we win the turnover battle," he said, "we have a better chance of getting to the playoffs."

2. The Jets will be a game plan-specific offense, meaning they will change each week based on their opponent and matchups. The New England Patriots are the best example of this style. As Morton said, "It's not going to be just one thing, this is what we do. I think that's important." Under his predecessor, Chan Gailey, the Jets fell somewhere in the middle of the spectrum.

4. Morton wasn't about to handicap the three-man quarterback competition, but he named two characteristics he wants from his starting quarterback: "Take care of the ball -- I think that's important -- and move the chains. I think that's important." He spent the past two seasons with the New Orleans Saints and Drew Brees. He may experience some culture shock in New York.

5. He will call plays from up in the booth, as Gailey did. His point man on the sideline will be quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates.

6. Morton is big on intangibles, especially competitiveness. That came through when discussing his three quarterbacks, Josh McCown, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg. He called them "gym rats" with a "blue-collar mentality." It sounds like attitude will be an important part of his approach. Morton himself comes across as an old-school grinder, which is how one of his mentors, Jon Gruden, described him.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68927/jets-new-offensive-coordinator-likes-metallica-and-qbs-who-protect-the-ball

2789691586_380503322f_z.jpg?zz=1

..i Luv them  :rolleyes:

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-- The Jets' offensive coordinator vacancy wasn't the most attractive NFL coaching job open this past offseason. With a talent-deficient roster, potential lame-duck coach, and a where-to-even-start quarterback position, top-tier names were not sending Woody Johnson their resumes.But longtime assistant John Morton jumped at the chance to join Todd Bowles' staff. Why?

"Opportunity," Morton said Tuesday. "I've been a position coach for almost 19 years, and feel I'm ready."

Morton didn't say much in his first meeting with the media. He brushed off questions about what his offense will look like, and offered few details on his philosophy -- unless you consider being "competitive" a strategy.He said the quarterback competition is wide open, but added nothing of note about Josh McCown, Christian Hackenberg or Bryce Petty.

It's too early in the process, Morton said, to pronounce evaluations. He's focused on building the foundation. Needless to say, he has his work cut out for him.In 2016, Jets quarterbacks threw 16 touchdowns and 25 interceptions. Not one player eclipsed 1,000 yards receiving or rushing. The Jets ranked 30th in scoring (17.2 points per game), and 26th in yards per game (329.3).

Expectations aren't high for this year. Morton doesn't care.

"Whatever you say, we're going to come out, this offense is going to come out, and compete every single day," he said. "We're going to do whatever it takes to win the game. Every game plan is going to be different based on who we're playing. It's not going to be just one thing -- this is what we do. I think that's important. To have success, you need to do those things."Morton spoke glowingly about quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates. The two worked together at USC, and they come from the Jon Gruden coaching tree. Morton said his trust in Bates is a big reason Morton will call plays from the booth. Morton said Bates can handle things on the field, while he gets the overview angle from above."I think he is a great, great quarterback coach," Morton said. "I trust him to take over that room. He's called plays before, and he's a good [sounding board] for me, and he's just a great detailed coach, and that's what I love about him."

Morton's impact on the Jets has already been felt. The pace at Tuesday's organized team activity was much faster than under former offensive coordinator Chan Gailey. Morton is more vocal and emotionally intense.Will it make a difference on the field? Well, Morton says it's too early to tell.

"It's a long way to go," Morton said. "There are different phases. You're in shorts, you're going against the defense, now training camp comes, you're going in pads, you play the games - there's a process to this whole thing."

>    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/05/why_did_john_morton_take_jets_offensive_coordinato.html#incart_river_index

After being a position coach for nearly 19 years, Jets offensive coordinator John Morton feels like he’s ready for his role as offensive coordinator.  Emphasizing competition throughout his first meeting with the New York media, Morton was asked what are the most important attributes he wants in a starting quarterback.“Take care of the ball… and move the chains.  I think that’s important,” he said. “That’s the No. 1 thing. That’s what I preached this morning, first time going against the defense. I showed them cut-ups of how to take care of the ball and that’s the quarterback making the right decisions.”

Equipped with stats, Morton talked about the importance of turnover margin.

“You win 82 percent of your games if you win the turnover battle, so that’s the biggest thing that we’re going to concentrate on right now,” he said, “and everybody competing to try and get better every day.

As OTAs commence, Morton said 15-year vet Josh McCownicon-article-link.gif, third-year pro Bryce Pettyicon-article-link.gif and NFL sophomore Christian Hackenbergicon-article-link.gif all will be rotating through and receiving the same amount of reps with the starters.“I like how they’re gym rats. I like how all three compete every day and they come to work,” Morton said. “We talk about blue-collar mentality and that’s what they do. That’s what I love about them.”

Morton, who said he’ll call the games upstairs from the booth, was effusive in his praise for QB coach Jeremy Bates. After working together at USC, Morton will have Bates as his eyes and ears down on the field.“Every game plan is going to be different based on who we’re playing,” he said of his offensive philosophy. “It’s not going to be just one thing, this is what we do. I think that’s important.”

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/What-Does-John-Morton-Want-from-the-Jets-QBs/5925997f-d2af-4103-b172-455e01b76e5c

Not sure what to make of his press conference. He didn't really come across to me as an OC, more of an OL coach but it is his first coordinator position. Sounds like we are going to be super conservative on offense. Not all bad if that conservatism is not of the run run pass type of mentality but there are definitely signs of something that is not going to be very dynamic. But all conjecture at this point, looking forward to seeing what he does. I do like a game specific offensive philosophy if he can pull that off. 

5 hours ago, MaxAF said:

Well at least his taste for music and mine are on the same page. Good start.

Why even mention the Metallica part of this if it isn't touched on at all in the article lol.  Could have at least asked what his favorite songs are or what he thinks of the latest album lol

But I agree he has great taste!

John Morton walked into his first news conference on Tuesday, spotted a reporter wearing a Metallica shirt and complimented the reporter on her taste in music.

Translation: she had a nice rack

10 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

What type of music does bowles listen to?

Robert Johnson delta blues:

Stones In My Passway

Rambling On My Mind

Dead Shrimp Blues

Me And The Devil Blues

32-20 Blues

I have very low expectations... if all of our QBs suck - i just want them to tank (which of course they won't because they are the jets) - if one of our QBs turns out to be someone we can work with and someone who can develop into a starter - then id like to see at minimum 9 wins this season - then build around him and get him an offensive line 

OPPUTUNITY=to be the head coach of the New York Jets next year.  Hack will be gone,Darnold on the roster, McCown recovering from injury as the projected started with Petty as his backup.  Darn old takes over game 5..............ahhhhhh crap,I woke up! 

Perhaps there is light at the end of the tunnel after all.

In the 13 months that Christian Hackenberg has been a member of the Jets, he has received a lot of attention. This happens when you’re a high draft pick and more so when you’re a quarterback.

Unfortunately for Hackenberg and the Jets, much of that attention has been negative.After a rookie year in which he didn’t see the field, despite the dreadful play the Jets got from the QB position, many were lead to believe that New York had already given up on their second-round pick. However, in year two Hackenberg is more confident and seems to have improved on his faults.

According to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, the Jets are starting to feel good about Hackenberg’s development.“They have some cautious optimism that Christian Hackenberg can develop,” Schefter told ESPN’s Mike and Mike. “Within that organization, there’s some hope that he can be salvaged.”

Hackenberg is part of a three-way quarterback competition at Jets camp with Bryce Petty and veteran Josh McCown.

McCown, who’s played for seven different teams and has been teammates with everyone from Johhny Manziel to Kurt Warner, believes Hackenberg has everything it takes to be a successful starting QB in the NFL.“He’s how you draw a quarterback up,” McCown said, according to ESPN. “Big, strong arm, athletic. He fits that mold, for sure. And his mindset, it’s right on. He works very hard. I think he’s a sharp kid. He’s got a lot in front of him. He’s got a great opportunity.”

Despite the recent optimism about Hackenberg, he still needs to prove himself on the field. Unlike last season where he was buried on the depth chart, Hackenberg will get plenty of opportunities to play both in practice and in the preseason. It is here where he’ll begin to show if he has what it takes.

For the first time since the Jets drafted him, there is a genuine optimism about Hackenberg’s future and it’s music to the ears of every Jets fan.

>    http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/26/report-jets-quietly-optimistic-about-christian-hackenbergs-future/

As the Jets’ quarterback battle continues to heat up, Bryce Petty’s confidence has not wavered.

Petty is looking to come out on top for the starting quarterback job over veteran Josh McCown and youngster Christian Hackenberg.

Many believe that Petty has the worst chance to win the job, but he’s not paying attention to the naysayers.“I don’t feel like No. 3. I don’t think Heck feels like No. 3. I don’t feel like Josh feels like he is No. 3,” Petty told reporters on Tuesday. “We are just trying to get better as a unit to get where we want to be this season.”

Petty went through a tough season in 2016,  but that has not hurt his confidence at all. In fact, it has done the opposite.

“I can play this game,” he reminded the media on Tuesday.

It is too early to tell who is going to be the starter. Jets coach Todd Bowles needs to see much more before making a decision.“[Petty’s] learning the offense just like everyone else,” Bowles told NJ.com. “In the fourth practice, it’s starting to slow down for him. It’s a process. As OTAs go, you look for him to improve even more.”

After getting hurt during his run as the starter last year, Petty is working hard to make sure that he gets another chance to be a starting quarterback in the NFL.Some may see Petty as the least likely quarterback to win the job, but the competition is far from over.

“How do you have an underdog?” Petty asked. “I don’t read headlines. I don’t really do things like that. I’m just focused on coming here and being better every day.”

>    http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/31/bryce-petty-confident-as-jets-wide-open-quarterback-battle-continues/

-- When evaluating the New York Jets' quarterback competition, it's important to remember that a new offense is being installed. That tilts the field in favor of the grizzled veteran, Josh McCown, who has experienced just about every style of offense over the course of 14 seasons.

Newbies Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty are at a disadvantage at this early stage because they're learning more than competing. Training camp is when you'd expect them to make their move. For now, anything positive should be considered a bonus.

That explains why the Jets were quite happy with Hackenberg's practice on Tuesday, his best out of the four OTA sessions.

Per the daily quarterback rotation, Hackenberg worked as the No. 2, behind McCown. He nearly threw a pick-six on his first pass in team drills (rookie safety Jamal Adams dropped a wobbly duck), but Hackenberg rallied and made a few throws that highlighted his arm strength. His best pass was a frozen rope to Charone Peake on a deep post route, a well-placed ball that should've been caught. Peake didn't hang on, but it still had to be a confidence-building throw for Hackenberg.

"For it being the fourth practice, he's coming along pretty good," Jets coach Todd Bowles said. "He's getting a grasp of the offense and learning it. With 11 guys out there for the first time, there are going to be mistakes on both sides of the ball, but he's coming along."

We have to be careful not to overanalyze. Remember, it's late May and no one is wearing pads. All we're saying is that Hackenberg took baby steps.

If the season started today, McCown would be the starting quarterback. That's a no-brainer. From a quarterback perspective, the primary objective in the offseason is to get Hackenberg and Petty as many reps as possible. That way, they can feel somewhat comfortable with the offense when they report to training camp in late July. At that point, the next step would be to get them into preseason games.Really, the Jets are trying to do two things at once: Conduct an open competition while developing their two young quarterbacks. Their hope is that the latter will go so well that at least one of them -- presumably, Hackenberg -- will be able to push McCown for the starting job.

Chances are, McCown will be the starter when they open the season Sept. 10 at the Buffalo Bills. That probably would upset many fans, who want the future to start now. Hello? The objective is to win games, especially the first one. But if the Jets can go into that game with a viable No. 2 quarterback -- i.e. Hackenberg, coming off a positive preseason -- they'd feel good about the inevitable passing of the baton.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69058/its-still-early-but-jets-christian-hackenberg-showing-signs-of-progress

-- The Jets are through just six of 10 organized team activities practices, but wide receiver Quincy Enunwa has already noticed a big difference in the team's offense. 

The past two seasons, under coordinator Chan Gailey, the Jets' receivers had more opportunities to freelance and change their routes than they do now under the team's new coordinator, John Morton. This is something quarterback Bryce Petty also recently mentioned. "Last year, we were able to kind of switch up what the route was," Enunwa told NJ Advance Media on Saturday. "You could kind of do certain things. But with this offense, you've really got to do what you're told. You've got to do exactly what is given to you. And when you do, plays are made." 

Enunwa spoke at ex-Jets and current Giants receiver Brandon Marshall's Receiver Factory youth football camp, held at Capelli Sport Center. Enunwa -- who is the Jets' No. 2 receiver, behind Eric Decker -- likes what he sees from Morton's offense. It likely will have lots of West Coast schematic tendencies, considering Morton's background. 

"I love it so far," Enunwa said. "I think it's a good opportunity for guys to get the ball and make plays. It's also a great opportunity for us to not get as many turnovers. It's really predicated to getting the ball out fast. There are many audibles to create quick throws. I think everybody is kind of buying in." Turnovers were a huge issue for the Jets last season, when they finished 31st in Football Outsiders' offensive DVOA ratings. The Jets ranked second in the NFL in giveaways in 2016. Only the Chargers (35) had more turnovers than the Jets' 34. The Jets led the NFL with 25 interceptions thrown, four more than the Chargers.  

This spring, Morton has constantly harped on limiting turnovers -- for good reason. 

"He preaches it almost every day -- 82 percent," Enunwa said. "You're going to win 82 percent of your games if you win the turnover battle. I think that's something that we are always keeping in the back of our minds." Enunwa last season had 58 catches (second on the team) for 857 yards (first) and four touchdowns (first). The former sixth-round draft pick is entering a contract year in 2017. But he said he won't play with any extra spark this season as he auditions for a new deal. 

"I've been sparked, man, since I hit the field," he said. "It doesn't change anything." The Jets this week conclude OTAs with four practices. Next week, they will have three mandatory minicamp practices. Those are their final practices until they report to training camp on July 28. 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/06/quincy_enunwa_sees_this_big_change_in_john_mortons.html#incart_river_index

Josh McCown is the odds-on favorite to be the Jets starting quarterback Week 1. Christian Hackenberg figures to be the runner up, and his eventual replacement. 

Bryce Petty is, well, an afterthought. 

A fourth-round pick in the 2015 draft, Petty saw action in six games last year. There were some positives, but not much. He completed just over 56 percent of his passes, and threw three touchdowns to six interceptions. He tore his left shoulder labrum in Week 16, and ended the season on the injured reserve. 

Petty hasn't looked great in organized team activities this year, which is to be expected. He's learning a brand new offense. But should critics already write him off in the Jets' wide-open quarterback competition? Or does he have better odds than some expect?

That and more discussed in this week's Jets Chat. Watch the complete rebroadcast below. 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/06/jets_chat_does_bryce_petty_have_a_chance_to_start.html#incart_river_index

After deciding to move on from two of their best veteran players Tuesday, the New York Jets received this grim assessment from an executive of another team :

From an NFL exec- "I think the Jets might have the worst roster I've seen in a decade."

Multiple Jets beat reporters are outright accusing the franchise of losing games on purpose -- something general manager Mike Maccagnan did not offer a convincing denial of on Tuesday when speaking to the media."That's not something we're focused on," Maccagnan said, via the New York Post. "We're focused on making decisions to help this team going forward. ... That's not our focus."

While going young is something teams are often praised for -- Cleveland is in the middle of a similar rebuild -- the Jets cut valued veterans in June after a practice. They also seem to be abandoning the Christian Hackenberg experiment altogether -- or at least plan to put him and their other quarterbacks in a brutal rock-in-a-hard-place scenario.The inevitable chorus that followed Tuesday's moves was to wonder why the team wouldn't just start Hackenberg all season long if they were going to lose anyway. But imagine: A player deemed so unready to play last year that he was completely redshirted during a lost season now going out to perform with a roster far worse than the one that couldn't support him a few months ago. Is the chance of selecting one of the three big-name quarterbacks who may or may not declare for the draft in 2018 worth it?

The club's No. 1 receiver, Eric Decker, is now gone. Quincy Enunwa and Robby Anderson are the team's starting wide receivers with the suspended Jalin Marshall the next-best option on the bench. A recovering Austin Seferian-Jenkins could start at tight end with Kelvin Beachum at left tackle and Brent Qvale on the right side.

This would torch Hackenberg's career, even if he's confident in himself.

"I know what I can do and I know what my coaching staff feels that I can do," he told NorthJersey.com Tuesday night. "I'm just confident in my abilities, and when I get my opportunities I'll do that. I'm confident that I can play at this level and play at a high level. When I get my opportunity, I'm going to take advantage of it."Maybe everyone weighing in now is just being short-sighted. The Jets have been accused of thinking small for years and now it's time to broaden the scope and build something competitive three or four years from now. But in the meantime, how many careers will this rebuild bring down with it? How does a 37-year-old, oft-injured Josh McCown feel about toiling in this offense? Is this a place where Hackenberg wants to develop ?

Can he ?

>      http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000813692/article/jets-cuts-raise-questions-about-near-future-at-qb

It was just one short pass during one red zone series during one OTA practice in early June.

It was pretty nonetheless.

What was "it"? Merely a 3-yard touchdown pass from Christian Hackenbergicon-article-link.gif into the outstretched hands of one veteran wide receiver over the defense of a veteran corner on the right side of the end zone at Tuesday's practice.Hackenberg, the second-year signalcaller battling with Josh McCownicon-article-link.gif and Bryce Pettyicon-article-link.gif for the Jets' starting QB job, downplayed the significance of the "score," which came indoors, in the Atlantic Health Training Center fieldhouse, due to the rainy conditions outside."It was a good look," he said, adding that the receiver "made a great play, great adjustment, so that’s good to get those types of plays in the spring."

It's good to get them from all the players, wide receivers ... and quarterbacks.

To be sure, Hackenberg had a few offline passes in Tuesday's practice. And there's no way for us to handicap the QB derby at this point. But last year's second-round draft pick has been getting noticed for some strong throws at recent practices.Head coach Todd Bowles wasn't asked about Hackenberg at his news conference today, since a few more urgent topics took precedence. But last week he was upbeat about his youngest QB."He's coming along pretty good," Bowles said. "He's getting a grasp of the offense and learning it. ... I've seen spurts."

Hackenberg agreed that his comfort level is higher this year than it was as a rookie, even though he's learning his fourth offense in the last five years (two at Penn State and his second in his two Jets seasons)."I'm not going to say night and day," he said, adding, "I feel a lot better going in there, having a great understanding of what’s going on, being able to have the time with Josh and the coaching staff and really hit it hard in terms of what we’re installing. [Coordinator John Morton] is putting a lot of stuff on us, so we’ve had to study and work extra, and that’s helping. Being able to go out there and actually take those reps and do it live has been great, so I’d say I feel a lot more comfortable than last year."

Comfortable enough to handicap his position in the QB competition at this early stage? No, that's not how Hackenberg rolls. But he did have a strong statement when asked by Record columnist Tara Sullivan why people around the NFL seem to have such fixed opinions about his NFL ability already."That’s their opinions. I can’t really speak for them. It’s whoever it is," he said. "But I know what I can do and I know what my coaching staff feels that I can do, so I’m just confident in my abilities and when I get my opportunity to play I’m going to do that.

"I’m confident that I can play at this level and play at a high level, so I'm going to go and, when I get my opportunity, take advantage of that."

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Confidence-Rising-for-Christian-Hackenberg/03105fef-52c9-4552-84e1-a92e93ed1f00

Contractually, coach Todd Bowles has no control over the 53-man roster and personnel moves -- that's the general manager's domain -- but he's in charge of the lineup every week. He will play the players who give him the best chance to win because that's what coaches do, especially coaches coming off a 5-11 season. For Week 1, that probably means Josh McCown at quarterback.

The question is, is that what the higher-ups want?

The New York Jets have a potential storm developing at quarterback; you can see it forming on the horizon.

Clearly, owner Woody Johnson is already focused on 2018 -- what, is there a '17 season? -- and part of that long-term view means evaluating QB Christian Hackenberg and determining whether he's the future of the franchise.Based on the David Harris and Eric Decker bombshells, Johnson is prepared to go with the kids even if it means losing big, with the hope that it leads to a brighter future. One school of thought suggests the Jets should start the season with Hackenberg, because why not? After all, what's the difference between 2-14 and 4-12, right?That would be the wrong approach, and if Johnson forces his coach to go with Hackenberg before he's ready ... well, he'd return the Jets to their dysfunctional days. Hackenberg shouldn't be the opening-day starter unless he earns the job in the preseason. There should be no freebies, not even in a rebuilding year, because it sends a bad message to the rest of the locker room.

"I know what I can do and I know what my coaching staff feels I can do," Hackenberg said Tuesday, adding, "I'm confident I can play at this level and play at a high level. When I get the opportunity, I'm going to take advantage of it."

Love the attitude -- a quarterback needs that kind of moxie -- but he still has to show it on the field. Until he does that, or until McCown hits the inevitable wall, Hackenberg should remain on the sideline. Relax, it's a long season. He'll still start at least 10 games, count on it.This is bigger than just the quarterback position. The Jets are installing a new offense with young receivers and young tight ends, and they need someone who can manage the game and allow the skill-position talent to develop. That's McCown's job; he's the classic bridge quarterback. He'll get the offense to a certain point, and then it will be time to turn it over to Hackenberg.Speaking to season-ticket holders last week at a town hall, Bowles suggested he has a pretty good idea of how the quarterback competition will turn out, noting that Hackenberg and Bryce Petty are fighting an uphill battle because they lack experience in a West Coast-style system. It's not hard to connect the dots. Bowles expects McCown to emerge, probably to the chagrin of the fan base.

It sounds good now, but there are conflicting agendas within the organization, and that could lead to tension down the road.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69220/early-signs-of-jets-quarterback-controversy-start-to-emerge

Archived