Christian Hackenberg- Foot Mechanics

JetNation

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

Wow !!!

Just great work.  The links listening to Walsh alone would have made it a wonderful piece but the breakdown of Hack was just excellent.  

Thank you.  

Agreed great post, don't let my goofing suggest otherwise.

• Upvote 1

The second round pick used to pick Hack is "sunk."  The only issue now is whether he can be developed.  

Given all the issues presented, it is my view that he was clearly overdrafted.  But we are where we are.  

History has shown players like Fitz and McCown taking years to develop but have long careers in the NFL.   That could be Hack.  The question is whether there is enough time in his contract for the Jets to make him useful.  

I am not feeling Hack will be ready this year.  I can see next year being much better, so people should not panic and look to cut him this year if that is the case.  The Jets likely pick a QB high next year, and Hack can be our Glennon while that QB learns.  I don't see the Jets picking top 3.  The defense will bail them out.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

17 minutes ago, varjet said:

The second round pick used to pick Hack is "sunk."  The only issue now is whether he can be developed.  

Given all the issues presented, it is my view that he was clearly overdrafted.  But we are where we are.  

History has shown players like Fitz and McCown taking years to develop but have long careers in the NFL.   That could be Hack.  The question is whether there is enough time in his contract for the Jets to make him useful.  

I am not feeling Hack will be ready this year.  I can see next year being much better, so people should not panic and look to cut him this year if that is the case.  The Jets likely pick a QB high next year, and Hack can be our Glennon while that QB learns.  I don't see the Jets picking top 3.  The defense will bail them out.  

At some point you have to play the guy. And work off improving from actual game experience. That footwork can go down hill again once defenses are flying around him. 

I do think we're in better hands with Bates and Morton, I'm excited to see how things unfold.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Guys, we are so close to having our own Brady. He just needs to learn to point his foot at his target, which is basically what I taught my 3.5 year old daughter earlier this spring and she understands it... so Hack obvi = stud now.

So let's see your daughter is 3.5 now, in 20 years given today's equal everything societal norms - we could be drafting her #1 for the 2037-2038 season :lol:.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The issue is he's got tiny hands for a QB. It's why he's so inconsistent throwing the ball. The footwork is fine. 

The footwork may be fine now , but it certainly wasn't his final 2 years at PSU or early on here.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

The footwork may be fine now , but it certainly wasn't his final 2 years at PSU or early on here.

No QB has perfect footwork, the game moves too fast for every throw to be properly executed. Most QB's can compensate with grip. Hack cant. Trying picking up one of the Duke footballs if you're ever in Dicks or Sports Authority- that thing is tough to grip if your hands are smallish. Maybe we can secretly let some air out of it.

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

No QB has perfect footwork, the game moves too fast for every throw to be properly executed. Most QB's can compensate with grip. Hack cant. Trying picking up one of the Duke footballs if you're ever in Dicks or Sports Authority- that thing is tough to grip if your hands are smallish.

TMI

10 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

So let's see your daughter is 3.5 now, in 20 years given today's equal everything societal norms - we could be drafting her #1 for the 2037-2038 season :lol:.

That you had to qualify the joke in this way. 

Just now, JiF said:

Like, we're actually going to debate whether or not Hack is capable of doing the most basic mechanic in the art of throwing anything and if a professional coaching staff is strong enough to teach this mechanic.  This is actually happening? 

you got anything better to do today?

• Upvote 2

You'd think he'd have this pointing thing down by now. Point is, his foot mechanics are horrible because he was hit more than a piñata while at Penn State.  2nd coming of Jim Everett.  He'll have to get over it if he's to succeed and show progress this year to prevent Jet brass from going with a QB in next years draft. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

I love these threads.  I really do.  I appreciate the effort and thought that go into them but this one...I'm just having a hard time with.  We're literally discussing a player who was taken in the 2nd round and the fact he doesnt know know you're supposed to step into a throw with your opposite foot pointing in the direction of your target.  

Like, we're actually going to debate whether or not Hack is capable of doing the most basic mechanic in the art of throwing anything and if a professional coaching staff is strong enough to teach this mechanic.  This is actually happening? 

We can't redo the pick. It's been made. He's here, it's been said over and over he should sit for at least a year to work on some issues. He's done so, so here we are...

It's better then seeing nothing has changed. 

• Upvote 2

I suspect his foot placement has typically been fine in practice.  The issue is more along the shell-shocked, David Carr syndrome.  So obviously drilling it in to him in the offseason / practice is the right thing to do.  But we'll just have to wait and see how he does in games...

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

We can't redo the pick. It's been made. He's here, it's been said over and over he should sit for at least a year to work on some issues. He's done so, so here we are...

It's better then seeing nothing has changed. 

And they probably will never say it but IMO part of the reason to "redshirt" him last yr was because he got the sh*t kicked out of him the prior two seasons at PSU. It's so clear via the stats. And who knows how many times he was hit while getting the pass off.  It would be surprising if any QBs mechanics didn't get messed up (especially a 19-20 yr old kid)..But 1 credit to him is he got up after each hit and got back into the huddle, knowing he was most likely getting hit again. It's been debated who's fault it is. Sure he deserves some of the blame but just look at the stats.  It's clear as day..

So the Jets, rightfully so, sat him a year and let him gather himself which it turn allows them to break him down and build him back up..

We won't know if his footwork issues have truly been corrected until he gets into the heat of game action.  

Freshman - 12 games - sacked 21 times

Sophomore-13 games - sacked 44 times 

Junior season-13 games - sacked 38 times. 

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cfb/players.asp?id=229985

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I love these threads.  I really do.  I appreciate the effort and thought that go into them but this one...I'm just having a hard time with.  We're literally discussing a player who was taken in the 2nd round and the fact he doesnt know know you're supposed to step into a throw with your opposite foot pointing in the direction of your target.  

I don't think its an issue of him not knowing what to do , its an issue of him re-learning what to do repetitively .  Like a golf slice , we all know how to fix it , its breaking bad habits and learning to do things the correct way that's difficult. He developed really bad habits with his mechanics his final 2 seasons at PSU.

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, KRL said:

Give me in-depth, detailed articles everyday over the agenda driven narratives that are pushed in

the "mainstream" media.  Repeating the same things about the Jets from now until September is

beyond boring:

- They have the worst roster in the league

- They'll be in the top 5 of the 2018 draft

- These are the top QB's in the 2018 draft ...

Blah, blah, blah

thats why I call them the "LAMEstream media"

the problem with rebuilding a player's mechanics is that under stress the old habits often emerge

Hack might be able to look a certain way in practice in shorts against no defenders (it should be noted that the "good example" he airmailed the pass and that OOF noise was the ball hitting a camera man) 

but whether he can maintain that rebuilt mechanics under pressure is a whole nothing thing entirely. Once the real pass rush starts what will this player do? Not to say it's impossible just saying it takes longer than a few months to fix years and years of bad habits.  

• Upvote 3