Jets to hire first woman coach who will work with defensive backs

joewilly12

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hopefully she replaces kacy rodgers by week 1.

She'd be an upgrade over the slouches we've had in the secondary. Hopefully she can light a fire under these guys butts. Sounds like she's a passionate football fan. We could use a little passion around here. 

13 hours ago, Kevin L said:

Next thing you know, they'll be wanting to vote and wear trousers.

Can you honestly make an argument that she is the most qualified, deserving person for this opportunity?

I doubt you can, hence the fallback to the same old "everyone must be sexist mysogynist" dismissals.

I have no objection to women coaches if and when they earn it. Head coach at the high school level. Coach successfully at the college level.

In the NBA this would be legit because many women have done just that.

In the NFL it's just transparent PC marketing, a thoroughly undeserved opportunity for the express purpose of expanding the female demographic viewer and product buying base.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Can you honestly make an argument that she is the most qualified, deserving person for this opportunity?

I doubt you can, hence the fallback to the same old "everyone must be sexist mysogynist" dismissals.

I have no objection to women coaches if and when they earn it. Head coach at the high school level. Coach successfully at the college level.

In the NFL it's just transparent PC marketing, a thoroughly undeserved opportunity for the express purpose of expanding the female demographic viewer and product buying base.

Valid perspective. Maybe she grew up in a football family/coaching family. Im not a supporter of affirmative action- type situations. Any self-respecting person will prove that they dont need a handout. And any self-respecting employer will know the difference. A person should get the job because they are deemed qualified, not because of some agenda. With that said though, if she is a good coach she'll be respected, if not she'll be exposed. 

53 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You may be right, but OTOH can you prove that she's NOT the best candidate?

I doubt anyone here knows anything about her other than what's been reported.

It's an internship, not a coaching job. For all we know her job is going to be setting up tackling dummies and fetching water and Gatorade. The "outrage" over this is just ridiculous.

15 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

It's an internship, not a coaching job. For all we know her job is going to be setting up tackling dummies and fetching water and Gatorade. The "outrage" over this is just ridiculous.

Lotsa jokes yeah sure but where is this ridiculous "outrage" you speak of? Not seeing it.

14 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This has be another PC thing that the NFL is trying to follow.  Also, I wonder if Francesa helped get the ball rolling more quickly (unintentionally) by talking at about this:

Far be it from me to agree with Francesa, but how many college and prep coaches are toiling away after playing and learning the game who were skipped over for this job so the Jets and the NFL can make a splash? This a PC joke. Because of this woman's plumbing she cut the line, and really having never played a down she has no business being on the line at all.  Basketball might be different because women actually play hoops. But football, no fricking way.

"60 Minutes" had a piece last year about a girl transitioning to a man who get accepted at Harvard to swim(don't think the Ivy schools have athletic scholarships anyway but). Now she was a very good female HS swimmer, but as a guy it's a joke. She is short and dumpy around a filed of long tall cut swim guys. And the only time she gets in the pool and doesn't lose some guy probably had a cramp. Of course CBS and Harvard present this as wonderful, and my thought was what about the guy that got dumped from the men swim team for this complete sheetshow? Same thing here; PC nonsense over substance. 

14 hours ago, Dcat said:

I'd replace Bowles with her right now.

Well, really , this too. She could hardly be any worse if she showed up Week 1 with the game program under her arm to figure out who is who on the roster. 

42 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Yes, but an opportunity to work for an NFL team for a young coach is gold. And the Jets treat it like another excuse for a PR show.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I guarantee 1) yes and 2) she's probably one of the smarter more organized assistants on the staff and 3) would be a better Head Coach than Bowles

Although in fairness #2 and #3 would also apply to my dog

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

What happens when she gets her period

Sharks.  Lots of sharks:

Surf Legend Laird Hamilton Falsely Blames Shark Attacks on Women's Periods

MAY 25 2017, 12:54PM
1495730817365-Screen-Shot-2017-05-25-at-

Photo via screengrab/TMZ

Sorry, sharks just aren't that into period blood.

Yesterday, surfer legend Laird Hamilton proved to the world that even famous "watermen" may need to take a science class. TMZ cornered Hamilton in Malibu as he was getting into his car to ask him about the odds of being bitten by a shark, thanks to recent reported sightings on SoCal beaches.

"Most shark attacks aren't fatal," he told TMZ, looking off camera with an air of authority. "It's usually a mistaken identity," referring to the possibility of a shark mistaking a person for a seal.

Read more: Can Sharks Smell Period Blood and Will They Eat You Because of It?

Unfortunately, he continued: "The biggest, most common reason to be bitten is a woman with her period, which," he shrugged matter-of-factly, "people don't even think about that. Obviously, if a woman has her period, then there's a certain amount of blood in the water."

Researchers, however, have debunked this myth. Dr. Steve Kajiura of Florida Atlantic University's Shark Lab told Broadly last year that there's no evidence sharks attack the menstruating more than other humans. And while these creatures can detect blood from more than a quarter mile away, period blood isn't actually all blood. According to The New Our Bodies, Ourselves, menstrual fluid contains "cervical mucus, vaginal secretions, mucus and cells and endometrial particles as well as blood (sometimes clotted)."

For More Stories Like This, Sign Up for Our Newsletter

One marine biologist told Mother Jones that she actually started menstruating while swimming with a whole bunch of sharks, and nothing happened. "I've been diving for decades and even got my period while underwater with a school of hammerheads," said Marie Levine, founder and executive director of the Shark Research Institute. "The sharks were not interested and I had to fin like crazy to get close to them."

Moreover, sharks aren't really on the hunt for your blood anyway. Dr. Tricia Meredith, a biologist at Florida Atlantic University who's studied the olfactory response of sharks, previously told Broadly that she hasn't researched human blood's effect on sharks because it's not relevant. "I never investigated shark's sensitivity to blood. I used amino acids instead because they are prey-related odors, and human blood is not. I know people are interested in sharks sniffing out our bodily fluids so they can find us and bite us, but that's just not how it works."

It worked in the NBA because the girl was hired by Gregg Popovich.....who had won numerous titles and is perceived as a genius at his craft....he has tons of built up goodwill with the fans to legitimize the situation....what goodwill have the jets built up with their fans??......exactly

3 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Good for her. She is an intern who will be learning for the summer and she is a fan, what the hell is the big deal. Maybe Bowles wants to hit it. 

I'm surprised with all of the HORRIBLE decisions Macc and Bowles have made last couple seasons this is what's getting people upset

17 hours ago, billo83 said:

It's becoming so much easier to stop following this league altogether. What a joke it has become. National Pansy League for sure. 

I'm in Europe while GF works in their Europe office.    I can easily see life without NFL.  Most of the world does.       I'm actually in a bar watching soccer with a scotch.   Killing time on JN.   

Archived