Sign in to follow this  
T0mShane

A pragmatist's guide to watching the 2017 Jets season

2 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

You guys have way too much fascination in a woody.   

No, he is the guy that has set up this structure in which neither the GM nor the HC are responsible nor have the final say. That Petty barely played, and only did so with a dumbed down offense,  and Hackenberg didn't play at all in 2016 was an organizational disaster. Now he goes and says everyone's job is secure no matter how awful 2017 is because it's clear that situation was atrocious. Yet he gave the same exact assurance to Mangini in his Favre year and then fired him despite his guarantee. Entirely possible that staring down the barrel of a 4 win season Bowles digs his heels in to play McCown knowing that such a promise is worthless. And there isn't anything Mccaganan could do in 2016 nor can he do in 2017 should that happen. 

And further spare Mangini (a guy who despite being very bright was very bad  managing people) Johnson always hire the same defense first tough guy BS coach. In the offensively explosive NFL of the last 2 decades it's inexplicable. It's one thing to buck an industry's trends if you succeed wildly beyond your competition, but quite another when you fail every time. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

Well again Bowles did all those things riding on 10 and 6 season and based on some reputation thing out of AZ.  I have no doubt Macc and Bowles started off on equal footing but that all ended 3/4 into last season.  The 2 safeties were BPA and Macc doing and I am in minority here agreeing with him as I saw that as weakest position on team aside from QB after FA.

Coaches on teams do not work for the HC they work for the team and I think the next HC of jets will be Morton if he shows any signs of success.

Simply picking 2 safeties with your top picks is an insane waste of resources in a normal year, doing so when your offense is the worst unit in the NFL even worse. 

There is no LT, the center is average at best. And the rest of the  OL is mostly retreads.

The QB spot is a disaster.

CB is horrendous.

Despite numerous top picks scattered around the front 7 (and Williams being a very good/possibly great player) there is no pass rusher. 

Safeties are either CBs too slow to cover wideouts or LBs too small to play the run.You can get a servicable safety later in the draft or as a free agent. You are less likley to get a premium position later or in FA.  Same way you would not pick a guard early  unless he's versatile enough to spot at tackle or center. Points to a GM (or HC making these choices?) who don't understand the value of position groups within the draft. Further if Bowles is such a  great DB coach, he apparently cannot coach anyone up? Before we start with the Ed Reed/Troy Polamalu, well they had f___ing better be close to that to justify this. 

32 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think the OP was the finest work I have seen from Shane.

If Bowles is starting McCown mid-season and the Jets are middling, Macc should cut him and promote Evans from the practice squad.  

As to Woody; a real owner if he is going to step in at all, asks why you bother to sign McCown in the first place. A complete waste of money; nobody was signing him until after the draft but before camp anyway. And you want to play Hackenberg and Petty; what do these guys offer, or do we need another one? A 38 year old JAG on the way out of the NFL is pointless in so many ways. But this is the same idiot owner that demanded they sign Tebow right after signing Drew Stanton. None of there contracts(McCown., Stanton, Tebow)  by themselves break the cap nor the bank, but does show a pattern of imbecility when it comes to understanding value and cost. Function of being a spoiled rich kid. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Go on...

All ears...

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company