Christian Hackenberg deserves patience from Jets fans

Marshmello

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

So much melodramatic hot air in that OP article.

The TLDR: We all want to see him play. We all want him to be great. We all have reason to be pragmatic and cautiously pessimistic on him at this point. In the end, what Hack will be and what opportunities he gets....will be on Hack himself. Not the fans.

Dude Hackenberg is like Santa. He can't deliver all those present if we don't BELIEVE IN HIM

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with Hack is accuracy. That's why I don't believe in him. I want him to get a shot and hope he wins the job, to me it makes no sense to play McCown, but do I think Hack will be good? No. You don't see many successful QB's in this league who have trouble hitting their targets. Hack couldnt complete 50% of his passes in college. That's going to be a big problem in the NFL. I'm just hoping that his problems in college were more an indictment on the Penn State program at the time than on him.

42 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I dont care if his completion % is 54, as long as the throws he's connecting are for long gains, and tds. I'll take that over 62% who's dumping off 2 yard gains from a rb screen.  

54.5% That's what McCown's percentage was last year.

If Hackenberg's % is 54 that means he stinks (too)

That is a nice article, for all the bad things that have happened to us through the years the football Gods owe us.  I hope Hack can become a good NFL QB and I am looking forward to watching him play this summer.

funny but the title of costello's article is how the myth of hack being a bust has gone too far.  maybe he needs to direct it to his colleagues like manish or serby or any of the other prizes covering the jets.  these guys just talk to hear themselves and stir up bs for nothing.

40 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Hack is 22 and Trubisky is 22. There is really no reason to expect Hack to look amazing from day 1 this year. He should be better than last year, but some are already bashing him for a few bad picks in OTAs. The kid is still a work in progress, just like most young QBs. Hopefully he is ready to take over in week 1, but at this point I just want to see some flashes in the exhibition games. 

Besides age Hack and Trubisky also both suck 

19 minutes ago, thadude said:

Besides age Hack and Trubisky also both suck 

the difference is that Trubisky didn't have a redshirt year as an NFL QB4 doing nothing. 

Hack is not a rookie. He shouldn't be treated as a rookie. He had that whole year to get better and it's fair to expect some results on the scholarship year 

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Good article. But more than Hack deserving patience, which he does...Jets fans would be wise to be patient and keep their timelines, landmarks, and expectations of Hack's development reasonable. 

Its not pro bowl or bust, or playoffs or bust for Hack. But then the grey area arises. Everyone has their own personal barometer.

I'm not playing the stats game. Too much yards and td's in garbage time, especially on a bad team that will more than likely be  down by a lot most games this season.

Is he reading defenses correctly? Is he making the correct line adjustments and audibles based off of that? Are his mechanics consistent? Is he making nfl throws for first downs? Is he putting points on the board? Does he seem to have command of his huddle? Are his inevitable mistakes getting better as games go on? Can we build around him? 

I dont care if his completion % is 54, as long as the throws he's connecting are for long gains, and tds. I'll take that over 62% who's dumping off 2 yard gains from a rb screen. 

Make it happen Hack. 

Agree 100%. How would the Jet fans have felt if we got the #1 pick last year with Jared Goff. I think most would have been thrilled like many are waiting for the 2nd coming QB Sam Darnold. Well Goff went 0-7, 5Tds, 7Ints, 1089Tyds, and a 63.6 passer rating. He still may be a starter and maybe a franchise QB. I'm not expecting a Pro Bowl year from Hack, but as Adoni states good progress and signs he can hang tough in the NFL. Give the kid a shot. Be real.

Good grief.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

54.5% That's what McCown's percentage was last year.

If Hackenberg's % is 54 that means he stinks (too)

Yea but that's a 15 year vet, and this is essentially Hacken's rookie year. That hypothetical 54 has a chance of getting closer to 60 a few years after starting as a rookie. Whereas, McCown is who he always has been at this point.

7 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Yea but that's a 15 year vet, and this is essentially Hacken's rookie year. That hypothetical 54 has a chance of getting closer to 60 a few years after starting as a rookie. Whereas, McCown is who he always has been at this point.

McCown completed 63.6% in 2015 (and above 60% in 2013 and 2011) 

If we are talking in hypotheticals someone who has been there before is probably more likely to get there again than someone who has never taken a snap

8 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Sweet merciful crap.

15 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I think it's that we fans are just fed up with this franchise's inability to get out of it's own way.  It ain't personal, Hack.    

Totally agree with this and the OP. There is nobody on this planet who knows for sure if he can or cannot succeed in the NFL. My only concern is he received sh*tty coaching after year 1 in college, and the coaching here is probably worse then it was at PSU in years 2-4 so who knows.

22 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

This is not Hack's rookie year, playing or not, this is his second year.  He's on a 4 year contract, a few years after starting he'll be a free agent, so we're developing him for another team?

What happens if he plays 10 games this year, shows some promise of being capable QB (i.e. Alex Smith) in the NFL, but the Jets still go 3-13 and have a shot at one of the top 3 QBs in 2018?

Curious to see what you guys would want the Jets to do in that situation. 

3 minutes ago, mtwarlock31 said:

What happens if he plays 10 games this year, shows some promise of being capable QB (i.e. Alex Smith) in the NFL, but the Jets still go 3-13 and have a shot at one of the top 3 QBs in 2018?

The record means nothing, if he is progressing and showing signs he can be a quality NFL QB then it‘s his job in 2018.  I don’t know what will happen this year but regardless of record if hack shows signs of being a capable QB then this season will be a success.

35 minutes ago, bitonti said:

McCown completed 63.6% in 2015 (and above 60% in 2013 and 2011) 

If we are talking in hypotheticals someone who has been there before is probably more likely to get there again than someone who has never taken a snap

You used McCown as a variable example. All I said was I'm not holding Hacken to any numerical standard and that I'd sacrifice completion % for first downs and touchdowns, and int avoidance. Any numerical comparison you wanna do with another player is completely irrelevant to me, and exactly what I'm going to avoid doing this year. Cheers.

20 minutes ago, flgreen said:

This is not Hack's rookie year, playing or not, this is his second year.  He's on a 4 year contract, a few years after starting he'll be a free agent, so we're developing him for another team?

Considering he didn't even get practice reps last year (no scout team doesn't count), yes this is essentially his rookie year playing. I'm aware of his deal and the duration of it. He has three seasons, including this one to prove he's worth an extension for this team.

10 minutes ago, mtwarlock31 said:

Unless he lights it, they draft a QB.  If both turn out great, trade one

18 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Unless he lights it, they draft a QB.  If both turn out great, trade one

Oh absolutely, if we are 3-13 or worse and have a top 3 pick, you take the QB and then if they are both good, you make a blockbuster trade for picks with one of them.

1 minute ago, ASH1962 said:

Oh absolutely, if we are 3-13 or worse and have a top 3 pick, you take the QB and then if they are both good, you make a blockbuster trade for picks with one of them.

I think we go safety again next year

1 minute ago, ASH1962 said:

How do you determine if both of them are good? You can't play 2 QBs at a time. 

2016 draft analysts: This is a player who is going to need two or three years of sitting to watch before he's ready to get on the field.

Jets fans, 20 minutes in to 2016 season: Why are they hiding him?  He clearly sucks.  There's no plan!!!

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

2016 draft analysts: This is a player who is going to need two or three years of sitting to watch before he's ready to get on the field.

Jets fans, 20 minutes in to 2016 season: Why are they hiding him?  He clearly sucks.  There's no plan!!!

No Jets fans:  "This guy was a 2nd round pick, we have the most heinous collection of QBs known to man and half of them are hurt, every other Qb in the 2016 draft at least has gotten on the field.  This guy has said or done nothing to suggest he can play, he is once again starting out as the #3 guy...what gives?"

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

No Jets fans:  "This guy was a 2nd round pick, we have the most heinous collection of QBs known to man and half of them are hurt, every other Qb in the 2016 draft at least has gotten on the field.  This guy has said or done nothing to suggest he can play, he is once again starting out as the #3 guy...what gives?"

Doesn't change the bottom line.  The team drafted a project QB, treated him like a project QB, and people are acting all kinds of crazy.

This isn't to say I believe he'll be any good, because if I had to guess I'd say no.

But the team is sticking with the plan they had when they chose him.  No biggie IMO.

17 hours ago, Marshmello said:

Accurate.

http://nypost.com/2017/05/29/christian-hackenberg-deserves-patience-from-jets-fans/

The old saying goes that the most popular player on a football team is the backup quarterback. He usually holds the allure of the unknown, a sense of hope and possibility.

That is … unless it is Christian Hackenberg...

Hmmm....

Somehow doesn't seem appropriate that "accurate" is the first word of a long write-up on Hackenberg.

Wrapping things up, none of us know, regardless how much we think we know about qbs.

Jacobs has more physical tools, but from everything I've read, Clemens is the most NFL-ready QB in the draft other than Leinart. He supposedly needs very little "coaching up"--just a year or 2 of holding a clipboard before he's ready to start. Jacobs' throwing motion needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, whihc is probably why he's dropping so far. Uh, so my point is...Clemens in the 2nd.
  •  

2 hours ago, mtwarlock31 said:

You'd let next year's head coach tell you what he thinks 

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

2015 draft analysts:  Bryce Petty is going to need two or three years of sitting to watch before he's ready to get on the field. 

Jets fans, 20 minutes into the Rams game:  Bryce Petty will never be an NFL QB.  All I have heard since is that Hackenberg will automatically be better and is the future.

I agree that we should show some patience with both.  We should expect growing pains.  OTOH, as Matt has been saying, McCown and stiffs of his ilk can at least run an NFL offense.  Until these guys can, I don't think we will see either and I don't have the patience to wait if they can't do it this year.

Archived