Christian Hackenberg deserves patience from Jets fans

Marshmello

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, slats said:

I completely agree, but that's a valid qualifier. If they truly are terrible, then (unfortunately) they need to trot McCown out there. Not for the "he gives us the best chance to win" argument, but because they're also trying to develop young receivers.

BUT WE GOTTA FIND OUT WHAT WE HAVE

http://sportsnaut.com/2017/05/report-josh-mccown-far-away-best-qb-jets-otas/

Report: Josh McCown ‘far and away’ best QB at Jets OTAs

Though it’s still early, Josh McCown has a huge lead over Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg in the alleged quarterback competition for the New York Jets.

Tuesday during OTAs both Hackenberg and Petty were getting picked on by New York’s defense, which ate up a few bad interceptions.

Christian Hackenberg just threw a pick to Corey White on the far field here at #Jets OTAs. Had a near-pick six on near field earlier.

Bryce Petty with the brutal INT of the day, right to LB Randell Johnson #nyj

This led Connor Hughes of NJ.com to write, “I think it’s safe to say McCown is far and away the best QB at OTAs.”

Of course, this should come as a shock to exactly nobody outside of perhaps Hackenberg and Petty. These two are both nowhere near ready — if they ever will be — to start and win NFL games. Hackenberg was so bad last summer that he barely saw any work, and Petty was abused during his time as an emergency starter last year.

So, despite what the Jets would have us believe about an open competition, it seems all McCown needs to do this summer is stay healthy and let the youngsters continue shooting themselves in the foot.

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.j

13 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

2015 draft analysts:  Bryce Petty is going to need two or three years of sitting to watch before he's ready to get on the field. 

Jets fans, 20 minutes into the Rams game:  Bryce Petty will never be an NFL QB.  All I have heard since is that Hackenberg will automatically be better and is the future.

I agree that we should show some patience with both.  We should expect growing pains.  OTOH, as Matt has been saying, McCown and stiffs of his ilk can at least run an NFL offense.  Until these guys can, I don't think we will see either and I don't have the patience to wait if they can't do it this year.

Yup.....

I am amazed at how people have already tossed Petty aside based on what, a 5-6 game audition ?

That team was such a train wreck last year there was no way alot of good,established QB's would have had alot of issues getting anything out of them.

Petty probably had more bad moments than good in 2016 but in no way shape or form should he just be tossed aside.

I know this team is not be gonna be good probably for next 2 to 3 years so let the kids play and let the coaching staff figure out who wants to play football and who wants to be a brand.

17 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Wrapping things up, none of us know, regardless how much we think we know about qbs.

Jacobs has more physical tools, but from everything I've read, Clemens is the most NFL-ready QB in the draft other than Leinart. He supposedly needs very little "coaching up"--just a year or 2 of holding a clipboard before he's ready to start. Jacobs' throwing motion needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, whihc is probably why he's dropping so far. Uh, so my point is...Clemens in the 2nd.
  •  

If we are being honest that was a correct assessment. Clemens is still in the league backing up somewhere (Chargers maybe?) he has had an 8year career and still going. 

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Worthy of a 2nd round pick?

yes in the same way that Mike Nugent was worth a 2nd. The player didn't pan out for the Jets but anytime a guy goes for almost a decade in any capacity that's a good pick. 

At least compared to the other picks (like Omar Jacobs totally worthless)

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

If we are being honest that was a correct assessment. Clemens is still in the league backing up somewhere (Chargers maybe?) he has had an 8year career and still going. 

Um.. Bit, I love ya, but 2006-2017 is more than 8 years.  He is going into his 12th year in the league, and yes, it is the Chargers.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Worthy of a 2nd round pick?

Why not?  That is a long time.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Clemens career is what we should all hope Petty will be to Hack. A guy who the coaches will trust to go into a game if needed, not the starter. 

Why?  Why does Hackenberg deserve patience, but Petty deserves our prayers that he can be a mid-tier backup?  Why shouldn't Petty strive to start?  His arm is strong, he can run.  Is the issue that he doesn't have monumental fundamental issues to overcome?  

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why does Hackenberg deserve patience, but Petty deserves our prayers that he can be a mid-tier backup?  Why shouldn't Petty strive to start?  His arm is strong, he can run.  Is the issue that he doesn't have monumental fundamental issues to overcome?  

Because we took one of them a round & a half earlier than the other, even though both were projected to go around the same spot in their respective drafts.  

One can find individual outlets projecting each of them at the top of round 2 (and maybe even into round 1), and some had each lower (or undraftable, if you recall).

I think most had each one around round 4, but because we took one of them in the bottom half of round 2 it apparently makes a difference. If we waited, and took him in round 4 as well, apparently that would therefore make him a worse prospect. 

They should both be given serious looks. The worst thing possible is if the seemingly better one only gets a month at the end of the season, but looks much improved and arguably is starting to look pretty good, and based on that late re-audition we then pass on a QB in 2018. Then we get to watch him come back down to earth the next year, and the list of franchise QBs we missed grows yet again.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The worst thing possible is if the seemingly better one only gets a month at the end of the season, but looks much improved and arguably is starting to look pretty good, and based on that late re-audition we then pass on a QB in 2018. Then we get to watch him come back down to earth the next year, and the list of franchise QBs we missed grows yet again.

Good points, but that is far from the worst thing possible. The worst thing possible would be McCown having a career year and then they sign him in August for $12M+ per. 

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Good points, but that is far from the worst thing possible. The worst thing possible would be McCown having a career year and then they sign him in August for $12M+ per. 

I eliminated the impossible. Like any team signs career backup nobodies to $12m because they had surprising statistics one season. Come on now.

Off-field issues be damned, the 2006 draft is one where we thought Brad Smith was a better WR option than Brandon Marshall.  We also took Eric Smith one pick ahead of Owen Daniels.

And Kellen Clemens is probably the 2nd best QB in that draft.

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Because we took one of them a round & a half earlier than the other, even though both were projected to go around the same spot in their respective drafts.  

I'm still not sure why Macc panicked and reached for such a bad prospect as Hack.  Anxiety over Fitz leaving?  Petty not looking good in practice?  Media knowitalls slamming him for not drafting Lynch in rd 1?

It's year 2 of a 4 year contract. How much patience is there? I keep hearing "he hasn't thrown an NFL pass yet" as if that's an excuse for him when in reality it's an indictment. The fact that we had all time atrocious QB play last year and he wasn't even active until Week 17 is telling, as is the fact that they hid him for the first two preseason games (before he stunk in the later ones.)

I understand theoretically not wanting to give up on someone until they've been given a chance but there really is tangible evidence the kid simply cannot play at this level. I would be thrilled to be proven wrong.

39 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It's year 2 of a 4 year contract. How much patience is there? I keep hearing "he hasn't thrown an NFL pass yet" as if that's an excuse for him when in reality it's an indictment. The fact that we had all time atrocious QB play last year and he wasn't even active until Week 17 is telling, as is the fact that they hid him for the first two preseason games (before he stunk in the later ones.)

I understand theoretically not wanting to give up on someone until they've been given a chance but there really is tangible evidence the kid simply cannot play at this level. I would be thrilled to be proven wrong.

It surely didn't help that Chan Gailey had no interest in developing, let alone starting a rookie this late in his career as an OC and coach.  Gailey wanted no part of developing Hack.  Or anyone for that matter.  Another terrible coaching hire by Bowles, Woody,et al.  Gailey was the worst choice for a team trying to develop a QB.  Gailey knew he'd only hang around a short while so AFAIC, Chan Gailey didn't perform his duties as OC the way it should have been.  Selfish prick. So glad he is gone.

5 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I keep hearing "he hasn't thrown an NFL pass yet" as if that's an excuse for him when in reality it's an indictment. The fact that we had all time atrocious QB play last year and he wasn't even active until Week 17 is telling,

BINGO.jpg

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

It surely didn't help that Chan Gailey had no interest in developing, let alone starting a rookie this late in his career as an OC and coach. 

That's a new one.  Blaming Gailey, the same guy who had the most qb-friendly playbook of any coordinator in the NFL.

I am willing to give him 4 starts as a baseline and then look for improvement. 

I'm actually not worried about hack as much as Bowles 

That dude is straight up stubborn and coaching for his job 

Will hack even play? 

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

Wrong 

Do your own research its not my job to educate you 

Uh ok whatever you say skip...

December 1, 2016

"Speaking to the media on Thursday, Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey called Christian Hackenberg, the Jets second-round pick, a ‘developmental player.’"

"Developmental Player" = not ready

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/12/01/jets-oc-chain-gailey-calls-christian-hackenberg-a-developmental-player-but-sky-is-the-limit/

But yeah obviously on 12/1/16 we still had a shot at the super bowl so Gailey was starting Fitz.

2 hours ago, thadude said:

Uh ok whatever you say skip...

December 1, 2016

"Speaking to the media on Thursday, Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey called Christian Hackenberg, the Jets second-round pick, a ‘developmental player.’"

"Developmental Player" = not ready

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/12/01/jets-oc-chain-gailey-calls-christian-hackenberg-a-developmental-player-but-sky-is-the-limit/

But yeah obviously on 12/1/16 we still had a shot at the super bowl so Gailey was starting Fitz.

A developmental player whom he chose to do nothing to develop.  He knew he was calling it quits in a year, so why bother, right?

2 hours ago, Larz said:

I am willing to give him 4 starts as a baseline and then look for improvement. 

I'm actually not worried about hack as much as Bowles 

That dude is straight up stubborn and coaching for his job 

Will hack even play? 

therein lies the immediate problem. Nothing can be done.  It's his job to try to win. If he feels that playing McCown gets him at least one more W, then he is going to start him.  The only thing that would stop that is an injury to McCown.  

I think anyone who thinks there's any chance Hack starts the season is in for a rude awakening. I would say barring injury there is a 99.9% chance McCown starts the season and probably plays more than half of it. Then when we're 2-7 Hackenberg will be trotted out, and we'll likely find out why they refused to play him for so long.

oh no!

Sean McVay: Jared Goff has improved but the best QB will play for Rams

There are no guarantees that Goff, the 2016 first-overall pick, will be the Rams' starter this season

Jared Goff had a forgettable rookie season. There's no shame in that -- it happens every year, especially with quarterbacks drafted early and carrying the expectations of a franchise that has hit a rough patch.

In seven starts in 2016, Goff, the first-overall pick, completed just 54.6 percent of his throws for 1,089 yards with five touchdowns and seven interceptions. He was sacked 26 times and sported a passer rating of just 63.6. There's more: According to Football Outsiders' metrics, Goff ranked dead-last among all quarterbacks, behind even Brock Osweiler, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and even the guy he replaced, Case Keenum.

The good news is that Jeff Fisher is out, replaced by Sean McVay, the former Redskins offensive coordinator who has a knack for getting the most from his passers. Whether he can work that magic in Los Angeles will determine if the Ramscan be something other than a mediocre football team. And while it's too early to make grand proclamations about the 2017 season or Goff's future under center, McVay's recent comments caught some attention.

"I think what we've tried to preach to our players is we're going to let the best players play," McVay said this week, via the team's official website. "We're trying to win football games and whoever we feel like gives us the best chance is who's going to play behind center. Right now, we feel very good about what they've both done. (QB) Jared (Goff) has done a nice job getting better, but you always want to make sure that you're playing the guy that you feel like gives you the best ability to win football games, because we owe it to our coaches, to our players and to this organization to do that. I think what we've seen is good for those guys, but right now Jared's the starter and he's done a nice job commanding that role."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but again, it's June 1. Goff is learning a new offense, with a new coach and it's not realistic to expect him to be in midseason form during OTAs. And perhaps this is McVay's way of motivating Goff over the coming weeks ahead of training camp. We can't imagine there's a scenario where McVay would prefer to have backup Sean Mannion under center to start the season.

For what it's worth, Goff sounds much more comfortable in McVay's system than he ever seemed as a rookie.

"It's a way different offense," Goff said last week, via the Los Angeles Times. "I've had a quicker time learning it, easier time learning it. I don't know whether that's scheme or the way it's taught or whatnot, but I've enjoyed spending time with the coaches and picking it up pretty quickly."

Whether that translates to a better results in Year 2 -- or even a starting job -- is another matter that will sort itself out in the coming weeks and months.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sean-mcvay-jared-goff-has-improved-but-the-best-qb-will-play-for-rams/

23 minutes ago, C Mart said:

oh no!

Sean McVay: Jared Goff has improved but the best QB will play for Rams

There are no guarantees that Goff, the 2016 first-overall pick, will be the Rams' starter this season

Jared Goff had a forgettable rookie season. There's no shame in that -- it happens every year, especially with quarterbacks drafted early and carrying the expectations of a franchise that has hit a rough patch.

In seven starts in 2016, Goff, the first-overall pick, completed just 54.6 percent of his throws for 1,089 yards with five touchdowns and seven interceptions. He was sacked 26 times and sported a passer rating of just 63.6. There's more: According to Football Outsiders' metrics, Goff ranked dead-last among all quarterbacks, behind even Brock Osweiler, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and even the guy he replaced, Case Keenum.

The good news is that Jeff Fisher is out, replaced by Sean McVay, the former Redskins offensive coordinator who has a knack for getting the most from his passers. Whether he can work that magic in Los Angeles will determine if the Ramscan be something other than a mediocre football team. And while it's too early to make grand proclamations about the 2017 season or Goff's future under center, McVay's recent comments caught some attention.

"I think what we've tried to preach to our players is we're going to let the best players play," McVay said this week, via the team's official website. "We're trying to win football games and whoever we feel like gives us the best chance is who's going to play behind center. Right now, we feel very good about what they've both done. (QB) Jared (Goff) has done a nice job getting better, but you always want to make sure that you're playing the guy that you feel like gives you the best ability to win football games, because we owe it to our coaches, to our players and to this organization to do that. I think what we've seen is good for those guys, but right now Jared's the starter and he's done a nice job commanding that role."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but again, it's June 1. Goff is learning a new offense, with a new coach and it's not realistic to expect him to be in midseason form during OTAs. And perhaps this is McVay's way of motivating Goff over the coming weeks ahead of training camp. We can't imagine there's a scenario where McVay would prefer to have backup Sean Mannion under center to start the season.

For what it's worth, Goff sounds much more comfortable in McVay's system than he ever seemed as a rookie.

"It's a way different offense," Goff said last week, via the Los Angeles Times. "I've had a quicker time learning it, easier time learning it. I don't know whether that's scheme or the way it's taught or whatnot, but I've enjoyed spending time with the coaches and picking it up pretty quickly."

Whether that translates to a better results in Year 2 -- or even a starting job -- is another matter that will sort itself out in the coming weeks and months.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sean-mcvay-jared-goff-has-improved-but-the-best-qb-will-play-for-rams/

Other bad teams, also drafted bad quarterbacks, which means that our bad quarterbacks, are Good,

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Other bad teams, also drafted bad quarterbacks, which means that our bad quarterbacks, are Good,

I didn't like Goff and Lynch either.  I did like Wentz.  Hack I initially wanted to give the benefit of the doubt but all reports are hes even worse than we can imagine

Archived