Christian Hackenberg deserves patience from Jets fans

Marshmello

15 minutes ago, thadude said:

I didn't like Goff and Lynch either.  I did like Wentz.  Hack I initially wanted to give the benefit of the doubt but all reports are hes even worse than we can imagine

"all reports"

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, thadude said:

When the GM who staked his career and reputation on you is afraid to put you anywhere near the field that says something

"Hi, my name is Mike and it's been more than  a year since I drafted a high risk quarterback, I find myself drafting for safety now, literally."

"Hi, Mike"

17 hours ago, The Crusher said:

"Hi, my name is Mike and it's been more than  a year since I drafted a high risk quarterback, I find myself drafting for safety now, literally."

"Hi, Mike"

He's a project dude. When Hack finally plays in an actual game in 2039 we can actually evaluate him

Its not us that has to be patient with him, its the coaches.

He's been trying to hit the rest button with his mechanics because supposedly it got messed with after his freshman year. That's an incredibly difficult process that's likely to doom him. I've no doubt he's been working on it like mad over the past two years, but my big worry is that that his mechanics will crumble under pressure good and often making it REALLY easy to stop him. Yeah, most QB's are worse under pressure, but Hack is already frazzled from a sanctioned hit O-line at Penn State. He'll start getting sloppy as he tries to gauge when pressure is coming. It doesn't help that he hasn't played against real D's so that instinct isn't set in, he'll be feeling phantom pressure coming down his spine a lot.

These things can only be overcome with reps; practice reps with his receivers so he can gain chemistry with them, reps against pressure so he can get used to it, reps in his own time with somebody (I guess Jordan Palmer) making sure he's throwing correctly, etc.

They've given him a certain amount of patience thus far but undercut themselves by focusing on too many guys. Last year's situation with 4 QB's was some nonsense, and some competition is good but I don't know if its a good call to have a true apples to apples three way bout to determine who's the best in august. Because OF COURSE that's gonna be McCown, he can hit the broad side of barn better than those two can right NOW so he'll probably look better in the preseason. To me they have to grade Petty and Hack a little differently. Can they compete in terms of commanding the huddle, or knowing the playbook, etc. If they (especially Hack) are a few clicks short in terms of accuracy, well that's to be expected. They wont get over it until they get playing time.

Keeping Hack on the bench last year was fine, but they have to realize he can only grow so much there. Unless he's miles behind its time for him to take some lumps- and then it will be time for the coaches to let him work through it despite poor results.

But that requires the coaches to follow a different philosophy than they've employed thus far, which is not to reward a player who hasn't proven to be better than the player ahead of them on the depth chart even if said starter is underperforming. I get why they think that's a good idea, but in cases like this its just a catch 22- a young player can't prove they are better than a vet until they start but they can't start until they prove they're better than a vet.

9 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

Its not us that has to be patient with him, its the coaches.

They have been plenty patient with Hackenberg.  They gave him a roster spot and even carried 4 qbs (a practice almost never done by anyone) even though he clearly showed in practice, TC and preseason he didn't belong in the NFL.  Bill Belichick would have cut Hackenberg last summer.

If there is any time where fans and media should be patient it's now. We are not playoff or Super Bowl contenders, we're rebuilding so if Hackenberg struggles we shouldn't be rough on the guy, not saying we should coddle him either, just a happy medium. We have nothing to play for except trying to develop young talent. So let him make his mistakes, let him go through his growing pains, just as long as he's showing promise. 

If there is any time where fans and media should be patient it's now. We are not playoff or Super Bowl contenders, we're rebuilding so if Hackenberg struggles we shouldn't be rough on the guy, not saying we should coddle him either, just a happy medium. We have nothing to play for except trying to develop young talent. So let him make his mistakes, let him go through his growing pains, just as long as he's showing promise. 

It sounds like it's less "growing pains" and more "doesn't belong anywhere near an NFL roster."

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

56 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Great news!! Hackenberg sucks!! So many are right on the interwebz!! Congrats, enjoy your winnings!

Not a circle jerk, padwan... More like: "If us common rubes can see it, why can't the guys with the 6 or 7 figure contracts and a workday (sorry, work-life) devoted to player evaluation see it at well?"

But you can continue to be "patient." It's what the Jets have been preaching and selling to the fans since Charlie Winner.

1 minute ago, glenn31 said:

Not a circle jerk, padwan... More like: "If us common rubes can see it, why can't the guys with the 6 or 7 figure contracts and a workday (sorry, work-life) devoted to player evaluation see it at well?"

But you can continue to be "patient." It's what the Jets have been preaching we be with them since Charlie Winner.

THANK YOU! While I will give Hack a chance I'm not optimistic. If Hack does show ANYTHING you kiss goodbye any of the top QB's. Mac will not draft a QB unless Hack is so horrifyingly bad that his hand is forced. Even then I expect him to grudgingly do it.

By all I can gather, the reports of Hack hitting reporters and such are still coming specifically from Connor Hughes, with other reports simply echoing his commentary. At this point, based on the history of accuracy problems I would surmise that Hack is still basically Hack, but I'm pretty much shrugging off these stupid reports and waiting until I see the kid play with my own eyes. Reporters are clearly pining for web traffic at this point. No better way than to poke at this years favorite flavor of Jets fan misery.

39 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

By all I can gather, the reports of Hack hitting reporters and such are still coming specifically from Connor Hughes, with other reports simply echoing his commentary. At this point, based on the history of accuracy problems I would surmise that Hack is still basically Hack, but I'm pretty much shrugging off these stupid reports and waiting until I see the kid play with my own eyes. Reporters are clearly pining for web traffic at this point. No better way than to poke at this years favorite flavor of Jets fan misery.

I actually wont even believe my own eyes, thats how objective I am

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Alt theory: the veteran beat guys desperately want to write lazy QB competition-themed articles all summer and know that DQ'ing Hackenberg in June is bad for business. 

Archived