Christian Hackenberg deserves patience from Jets fans

Marshmello

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Alt theory: the veteran beat guys desperately want to write lazy QB competition-themed articles all summer and know that DQ'ing Hackenberg in June is bad for business. 

Nothing about this would surprise me either.

2 hours ago, 19andOhWait said:

anyone who still thinks this is the guy to lead us into the next 2, 3, 5 seasons needs to have their heads examined

he is worthless

accept it and get ready for Sam D, Josh Allen or Lamar 

I love guys that argue with themselves. No one has said they think hack is the answer. All people say is to give him a chance because the other options are a 38 year old journeyman and Petty who has already showed he isn't much..

In the end, we are likely going after Darnold or whomever else emerges as the top QB in next year's class. 

In the meantime, the only QB on the roster with any shot is hack so let's just let it play out without the hysterics.

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Seems to me a young QB gets better by practice, but let's do the Bowles thing and give reps to a 38 year old POS. And Connor Hughes has an agenda to get noticed. 

Agree with what you said but if it's true he almost therew 6 picks, sailing, passes, hitting reporters (still), and bouncing it to WR's while playing in shorts it's alarming.

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

By all I can gather, the reports of Hack hitting reporters and such are still coming specifically from Connor Hughes, with other reports simply echoing his commentary. At this point, based on the history of accuracy problems I would surmise that Hack is still basically Hack, but I'm pretty much shrugging off these stupid reports and waiting until I see the kid play with my own eyes. Reporters are clearly pining for web traffic at this point. No better way than to poke at this years favorite flavor of Jets fan misery.

But were they tight spirals?

11 hours ago, glenn31 said:

Not a circle jerk, padwan... More like: "If us common rubes can see it, why can't the guys with the 6 or 7 figure contracts and a workday (sorry, work-life) devoted to player evaluation see it at well?"

But you can continue to be "patient." It's what the Jets have been preaching and selling to the fans since Charlie Winner.

yeah being patient is soooo bad on a 22 yr old guy who if he stayed his 4 yrs at college this would be his rookie yr....

7 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Connor Hughes aspires to be Manish.....

can't wait for PS so we don't have to rely on these fools for info.

that is so evident...he's trying to get nj.com more eyes/clicks..only way to get that this day in age is criticism, negative narrative

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

that is so evident...he's trying to get nj.com more eyes/clicks..only way to get that this day in age is criticism, negative narrative

I heard the two reporters Hack hit were paid by NJ dot com to run out on the field and take it in the face

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Yep and his stories could be written by a 6th grader....I make it a point never to click anymore

3 minutes ago, FlagmanL11 said:

Patience, this guy did not take a snap last year when there was no one else that did anything under center.  And I would like a refund off the price of my season tix... 

Sorry Flag,  

It's pretty clear they wanted him to take the yr off after getting the sh*t kicked out of him (he bares some responsibility) his last 2 seasons at PSU..And fans wonder why Jets QBs bust...

Ask Woody for your refund...Hope your well

31 minutes ago, C Mart said:

The cynical angle does function as a center of gravity... it's a shame that the platforms these guys write for have such a rudimentary strategy for measurement. If they had any sense, they'd do more than just count clicks and page visits. They measure sentiment, loyalty and influence as well. 

NFL scout 'taken aback' by former Penn State QB Hackenberg's accuracy issues

The main issue with Hackenberg's development continues to be his accuracy throwing the ball. As Cimini reports, Hackenberg finished his final year at Penn State ranked 120th in the nation in adjusted completion rate (counting drops, spikes, etc.) at 64 percent, according to Pro Football Focus.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2017/05/christian_hackenberg_horrible.html

but yeah lets all have patience. 

when he goes 15-70 0 td's 5 int's from week 6 to 10 then we can officially move on I guess.   

Hackenberg is going to be one of the most beloved Jets ever for one of two reasons:

1 - when he finally gets to start this year, he will produce at a sub standard level and heavily contribute to the Jets tanking the season and be rewarded with a top pick in 2018.

2 - he is so bad that he doesn't even get to play in 2018 and McCown is his usual putrid self and allows the Jets to secure a top draft pick in 2018.

WINNA WINNA, CHICKEN DINNA!

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

yeah being patient is soooo bad on a 22 yr old guy who if he stayed his 4 yrs at college this would be his rookie yr....

When a sheep, whether it be ram, ewe, or lamb decides to expel fecal matter from it's butthole, you're left with a brown mound of dung. No matter how much patience you have with it, it's natural cycle that will never be altered is for it to oxidize, turn whitish-yellow, and eventually be devoured by flies & other decomposers. No matter how much patience you have with that pile, no matter how you chemically treat it, it will always be fecal matter. It will never turn into a precious mineral.

Fin.

12 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

When a sheep, whether it be ram, ewe, or lamb decides to expel fecal matter from it's butthole, you're left with a brown mound of dung. No matter how much patience you have with it, it's natural cycle that will never be altered is for it to oxidize, turn whitish-yellow, and eventually be devoured by flies & other decomposers. No matter how much patience you have with that pile, no matter how you chemically treat it, it will always be fecal matter. It will never turn into a precious mineral.

Fin.

Didn't realize I was in farmersnation.com

49 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

Fin.

IRL LOL'd at this. POTW purely for the level of detail

2 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Agree with what you said but if it's true he almost therew 6 picks, sailing, passes, hitting reporters (still), and bouncing it to WR's while playing in shorts it's alarming.

Not really. He's learning an offense, learning timing with the receivers, learning to read defenses. He SHOULD be throwing INTs at this point and learning from each one. People expect perfection from a QB developing his skills. Becoming an elite QB takes time and experience. How many INTs did Peyton throw? How terrible was Eli until the light went off? He may never be good, but unless we COMMIT to him and give him the work he needs we will never know.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Not really. He's learning an offense, learning timing with the receivers, learning to read defenses. He SHOULD be throwing INTs at this point and learning from each one. People expect perfection from a QB developing his skills. Becoming an elite QB takes time and experience. How many INTs did Peyton throw? How terrible was Eli until the light went off? He may never be good, but unless we COMMIT to him and give him the work he needs we will never know.

Except that everything we've seen, heard, or read about the guy since college indicates he's simply wildly inaccurate and has a hard time completing simple throws.

8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

All valid points, the only difference is he is not playing in a live game. I am behind Hack 100%, but the fact he is doing this in shorts in concerning. I will wait to see how he plays in a live game, and I don't expect him to come out like a 5 year vet that has been in the same system. It appears the kid is a hard worker and puts his time in, given the reports about his work ethic. Let's see how he handles preseason. 

1 minute ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

All valid points, the only difference is he is not playing in a live game. I am behind Hack 100%, but the fact he is doing this in shorts in concerning. I will wait to see how he plays in a live game, and I don't expect him to come out like a 5 year vet that has been in the same system. It appears the kid is a hard worker and puts his time in, given the reports about his work ethic. Let's see how he handles preseason. 

I think once he's subject to a violent pass rush, he will stop throwing inaccurately.

Just now, T0mShane said:

I think once he's subject to a violent pass rush, he will stop throwing inaccurately.

I feel the same way. I remember reading a quote from his former teammate saying he was more concerned about the pass rush than how the play developed. I can't blame him giving the fact he took such a beating. I just hope he dosent have David Carr syndrome.

4 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I feel the same way. I remember reading a quote from his former teammate saying he was more concerned about the pass rush than how the play developed. I can't blame him giving the fact he took such a beating. I just hope he dosent have David Carr syndrome.

which is why IMO they redshirted him last season..

Just curious. Has nj.com version of Mike Mayock Dipsh*t Hughes charted all of Petty and McCown's throws?

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

You don't think there's a difference - as in where 95% of QBs fall - in between perfect/elite and the show he's allegedly putting on?

It's not that he isn't perfect. It's that if there are 20 levels in between #1 perfect and #20 unusable he hasn't demonstrably escaped the #20 slot thus far.

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

which is why IMO they redshirted him last season..

Just curious. Has nj.com version of Mike Mayock Dipsh*t Hughes charted all of Petty and McCown's throws?

Exactly why I will wait until I see the kid play in games and see how he progresses. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You don't think there's a difference - as in where 95% of QBs fall - in between perfect/elite and the show he's allegedly putting on?

It's not that he isn't perfect. It's that if there are 20 levels in between #1 perfect and #20 unusable he hasn't demonstrably escaped the #20 slot thus far.

It's sort of irrelevant. He is what we have and he DOES have elite upside and he DOES have a lot of things that need improving. Only way we will know is to play him. You simply have to play him. Starting McCown accomplishes nothing except further muddying the QB picture and setting the QB situation back even more.

Archived