Christian Hackenberg deserves patience from Jets fans

Marshmello

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not even a little bit, madam. ;) 

It would be making a judgment based on the reporting available.

Over a week ago, prior to the big, grabber-headline of Hackenberg allegedly hitting reporters with 2 passes and supposedly throwing an additional 6 passes right at defenders and still more sailing over the heads of open receivers (all while wearing a red no-contact jersey and without a serious pass rush), what was reported was that the competition among the three wasn't even close (i.e. the great Josh McCown by a landslide).

If you can find a contrary wealth of reports, from non-team representatives, that suggest both - or either - made clear and obvious positive strides on the field from the prior season, I would love to read them all. It is in my obvious interest as a Jets fan to see either/both of them succeed, no matter how pessimistic I am with regard to this likelihood. 

You make my point for me. All we have from this spring is information that has been fed to us. None of that information is from watching complete events. Just a fraction.

Would you be comfortable making broad sweeping conclusions on a player from watching only 5 of 16 games?

My point here is, we just don't know what we haven't seen or no one other than coaches have. Of course, that does not mean Hack has torn it up on those "unreported" session.  It is still try much an unknown, at least to those with an open mind. Guarantees nothing, I agree.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You make my point for me. All we have from this spring is information that has been fed to us. None of that information is from watching complete events. Just a fraction.

Would you be comfortable making broad sweeping conclusions on a player from watching only 5 of 16 games?

My point here is, we just don't know what we haven't seen or no one other than coaches have. Of course, that does not mean Hack has torn it up on those "unreported" session.  It is still try much an unknown, at least to those with an open mind. Guarantees nothing, I agree.

Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Geno kills Hack in arm strength, accuracy, mobility, and collegiate production. 

Hack beats Geno in excuses and looking like the lead soprano from a barbershop quartet in 1953.

Geno was terrible in college, actually #HackFacts

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

The reported early returns from watching both of them (not just Hackenberg) are

a. encouraging

b. discouraging

c. equally encouraging and discouraging

A team that was privately encouraged, despite the poor public reporting would likely:

a. keep its best WR

b. cut/trade its best WR

10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

How about 2013?

Also this is the first hint I've heard where Woody was the one who pushed or force-fed Plaxico. 

Also you are taking liberty with your opinions of past events and are presenting them as known facts. I understand and sympathize with not liking the man, since I don't like him either, but you're entering foil hat territory.

Further, the idea that he just cut players to pocket payroll, rather than just save up the cap space for later use, is similarly baseless. The guy has a ton of faults, but being a cheapskate with player payroll is not among them. 

I've been saying a lot of this for years, but all it takes sometimes is for somebody to hear something negative said about somebody they don't like, and from that point on it's "fact".

Ever since Woody foolishly said you "can't get enough Tebow", fans who dislike him point to that as proof that he's a meddling owner, and therefore every move that doesn't work out was made under his direction.

And the last thing Woody has been with this team is cheap.  He's spent big from the day he arrived.  But when the Jets don't overspend or go crazy in free agency, it's b/c Woody is cheap.

21 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You could try to rationalize along those lines, but there's no way in 2015 they planned on cutting Revis after 2 years. Further, in 2016 they wanted Fitz for longer than 1 year, with even more guaranteed than he got. Lucky for us Capt. Harvard held out for less than the Jets offered lol. 

That entire post was speculation. What they planned on doing and what they wanted to do aren't relevant to what they actually did do.

Occam's razor, Woody sets the budgets and that saved cap space carries over and the unused payroll is the same as profit.

16 hours ago, bitonti said:

That entire post was speculation. What they planned on doing and what they wanted to do aren't relevant to what they actually did do.

Occam's razor, Woody sets the budgets and that saved cap space carries over and the unused payroll is the same as profit.

Last time around when they did a tear down in 2013, you said - over and over and over - it was because Woody Johnson was cash poor. 

Unused player payroll this year, that is instead used next year and the year after, is not the same as profit. There's every likelihood in 2018, after a 3-win season that followed a 5-win season, that the Jets will again rack up some $200m+ in new contracts.

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Last time around when they did a tear down in 2013, you said - over and over and over - it was because Woody Johnson was cash poor. 

Unused player payroll this year, that is instead used next year and the year after, is not the same as profit. There's every likelihood in 2018, after a 3-win season that followed a 5-win season, that the Jets will again rack up some $200m+ in new contracts.

Running a football team is not hard.

-Your basic revenues are relatively set: Media contracts, ticket sales (within a certain percentile), revenue sharing, merchandising, concessions are all fairly predictable, probably within 2-3 percent projections each year.

-Expenses are relatively known, with the largest being labor (which is controlled mostly be league mandates), your staff does not adjust largely year to year, marketing is relative the same each year, and variable costs are not out. of bounds.

It should be a very easy model to project, with relatively few surprises. You either do very well, or very, every well. You do not see any executive jumping out windows.

Again, running a football is not rocket science.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Running a football team is not hard.

-Your basic revenues are relatively set: Media contracts, ticket sales (within a certain percentile), revenue sharing, merchandising, concessions are all fairly predictable, probably within 2-3 percent projections each year.

-Expenses are relatively known, with the largest being labor (which is controlled mostly be league mandates), your staff does not adjust largely year to year, marketing is relative the same each year, and variable costs are not out. of bounds.

It should be a very easy model to project, with relatively few surprises. You either do very well, or very, every well. You do not see any executive jumping out windows.

Again, running a football is not rocket science.

Not sure what this has to do with my post, but I was just commenting on the likelihood - based on team history under Woody - that in 2018 and 2019 they're likely to spend this year's savings and then some.

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I did not fully understand the 4 year cycle of the CBA at that time. No one really did. 

On 6/11/2017 at 1:33 PM, bitonti said:

You are really overestimating Woody's intelligence by conjecturing that he has some kind of plan in regards to saving money on contracts in relation to profit.

On 6/9/2017 at 11:39 AM, C Mart said:

Sorry Flag,  

It's pretty clear they wanted him to take the yr off after getting the sh*t kicked out of him (he bares some responsibility) his last 2 seasons at PSU..And fans wonder why Jets QBs bust...

Ask Woody for your refund...Hope your well

I know there are no refunds.  Lets see if he plays this year, and we will see if the Front Office has any clue.  

Archived