Calvin Pryor traded to Browns for Demario Davis: MERGED

Ghost

I don't know why every one is upset.  Jets more then likely decided they were going to cut Pryor and eat the cap hit no matter what..  

They got got to dump both Pryor, and his salary, brought Davis back,  who wasn't good, but didn't suck either.  IMO they will later attempt to re-do Davis deal to vet min, if he refuses, cut his butt also.

Getting rid of Pryor is a plus by subtraction, plus they dump his salary with no pain.   No problem with this, Pryor sucked bad

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, thadude said:

Browns actually had a good offseason but why would anyone trade anything for Pryor?

Demario Davis is a locker room leader who is durable but clearly with his playing time being reduced dramatically in the second half of the season they lost faith in him.

Pryor is a former first round pick,they have nothing to loose...a change of scenery might help, a low risk investment for the Browns.

Both players will likely be out of the league within a year or two unless as depth players.

Just now, thadude said:

Effective player who either starts or gets 40-50% of snaps

Mac has drafted a whopping total of 1 after 2 seasons.

So, you change the metric to suit your argument, and you still end up wrong. 

Just now, flgreen said:

I don't know why every one is upset.  Jets more then likely decided they were going to cut Pryor and eat the cap hit no matter what..  

They got got to dump both Pryor, and his salary, brought Davis back,  who wasn't good, but didn't suck either.  IMO they will later attempt to re-do Davis deal to vet min, if he refuses, cut his butt also.

Getting rid of Pryor is a plus by subtraction, plus they dump his salary with no pain.   No problem with this, Pryor sucked bad

I think the Jets knew they were going to cut Pryor about 5 games into last season. 

I don't even get the sense that people are upset, the reaction to me is more about the typical-ness of the Jets trading a former 1st rounder for a former 3rd rounder of their own taking. I said it earlier, it's the optics, more than it is the actual brass tacks of it.

17 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Oh good... hyperbole because you can't actually defend the stance.  Literally no one is expecting us to add great talent thanks to this specific trade.  People would have preferred a 7th round pick instead of a guy that we intentionally let go not long ago.

Sure, Von Miller may not have been available at 6, but 6 does have some value, and there were options besides taking a safety, and then doubling down by taking another safety.  It's ludicrous to suggest that the Jets had no choice but to add two safeties.  They could have traded down, even for not perfect chart value, and added talent in more valuable positions.  As as for edge rushers, the argument isn't that you need to have Von Miller, great as that may be, it's that an above average edge rusher is significantly more valuable than two safeties.  And, I'm okay with them not taking a QB this year, but, if Mahomes or Watson turn out to be even above average, anything short of Brian Dawkins/Ed Reed is a disaster of a pick in Jamal Adams, and if either turns out to be top 10, Jamal Adams, no matter how good he is, was a terrible pick.

I don't know the specifics of the edge rushers in this draft, but if you're going to tell me that Myles Garret is the only good one, I think that's probably a reach.  We had two high picks, we used both of them on one of the lowest value positions on the field.  The year before that, we used our 1st again on one of the lowest value positions on the field, and on a player who wasn't very good.  We also used it on a QB who needed to be red-shirted, and who required us to bring in Josh McCown in year two, who by all early reports is by far and away, the best QB out there.

3 years in, and this team is looking at the #1 overall pick, with no QB, no WR, no edge rusher, no cb, and no left tackle, no RB, but somehow, we're supposed to believe this is a good thing.  Sorry, not buying it.

I find it interesting that you continue to complain about jamal adams even though the pick was lauded for being excellent and some teams had him as the best player in the entire draft.  Can you also back up the claim that safety isnt a valuable position.  Here are the team defense rankings from 2016:

Houston, Arizona, Minnesota, Denver, and Seattle.  Aside from Houston, each of those teams have EXCEPTIONAL safeties.  Harrison Smith, Mathieu, Earl Thomas, etc - its an important position in today's NFL, and the only people who dont believe that are on this board.

You also only look at the negatives of what if watson is an all-pro and adams is only average.  Well what happens if Dylan Donahue is the next Kevin Greene, did we adequately address edge rusher then?

1 minute ago, Gangrene said:

Demario Davis is a locker room leader who is durable but clearly with his playing time being reduced dramatically in the second half of the season they lost faith in him.

Pryor is a former first round pick,they have nothing to loose...a change of scenery might help, a low risk investment for the Browns.

Both players will likely be out of the league within a year or two unless as depth players.

Pryor is a total liability in coverage.  Gholston was a first round pick too maybe Hue Jackson wants to kick the tires on him

5 minutes ago, thadude said:

Pryor is a total liability in coverage.  Gholston was a first round pick too maybe Hue Jackson wants to kick the tires on him

Yeah, they are both liabilities, deck chairs..titanic.

12 minutes ago, thadude said:

Are you actually going to argue McClown is a better player than Jay Cutler?

Not arguing anything, but there's a reason why Cutler is in the booth. Even Fitzpatrick got a job 

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

So, you change the metric to suit your argument, and you still end up wrong. 

Whatever you say buddy.  I guess I'm supposed to believe Devin Smith, Chris Hackenberg, Mauldin, Jenkins and Darron Lee are all actually good players

17 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I find it interesting that you continue to complain about jamal adams even though the pick was lauded for being excellent and some teams had him as the best player in the entire draft.  Can you also back up the claim that safety isnt a valuable position.  Here are the team defense rankings from 2016:

Houston, Arizona, Minnesota, Denver, and Seattle.  Aside from Houston, each of those teams have EXCEPTIONAL safeties.  Harrison Smith, Mathieu, Earl Thomas, etc - its an important position in today's NFL, and the only people who dont believe that are on this board.

You also only look at the negatives of what if watson is an all-pro and adams is only average.  Well what happens if Dylan Donahue is the next Kevin Greene, did we adequately address edge rusher then?

I agree with your post, but I think most people weren't upset about Adams, I thought the pick was great, it's just when they went S again in the second, it was ????????????????????????????????????????????

5 hours ago, thadude said:

You're implying McClown is a better qb

Hmmmmmmmmmm not sure how you got that out of my question.

I'll answer it for you.

They are both equally off the chart on the washed up scale.

I think from the Jets perspective McCown was (thought to be?) willing to sign for less money however I say that with no

knowlegde of the Jets actually making an offer to Cutler.

Do we know if they did court him? If they didnt why are the 2 even being compared as choice A and choice B???

24 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Jamal Adams the player is fine.  A team with no QB, passrusher, left tackle, WR, running back, or CB taking Jamal Adams is ok.  But, that same team then taking another safety is just poor management.

Can I back up that it isn't a comparatively valuable position?  The NFL seems to think so when they hand out contracts (2014):

02-97.png

As for the teams you listed, were any of those safeties picked at 6 or higher?  Have they ever spent a 1st and a 2nd on those safeties in the same draft?

Also, I didn't say what if Watson is all-pro and Adams is average.  I said if Watson is above average, and Adams is anything but elite, this was a bad pick.  As for Dylan Donahue, I'll believe that a Division II, 5th round, short-armed pass-rusher with poor athletic measurables is the answer to our needs when I see it.  By saying I'm ignoring this, you're acting as if that likelihood is the same as a 1st round QB turning out to be above average.  Once again, the NFL disagrees, as Watson/Mahomes went in round one, and Donahue went in round 5.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Cimini:

The New York Jets' offseason youth movement has claimed another victim ... and he's only 24 years old.

Calvin Pryor was traded Thursday to the Cleveland Browns, which tells us the Jets aren't making decisions based solely on birth certificates -- as was the case with old guys Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold and Brandon Marshall.

Cimini seriously thinks the sole reason Revis and Marshall are gone is simply because of age?

L - O - ******* - L.

Browns acquire S Calvin Pryor from Jets for LB Demario Davis 
The Browns and Jets have made a one-for-one swap on Thursday, exchanging defensive players. Both Calvin Pryor and Demario Davis have been disappointments in their careers, but this trade makes sense for both teams. 

Cleveland needed a safety to start next to Jabrill Peppers. Pryor may not beat out the other safeties on the roster, but he'll have a shot. He was a first-round pick in 2014, so he at least has potential, despite the horrible start to his career. Davis, meanwhile, is back with the Jets after spending one season with the Browns. The Jets needed depth behind David Harris and Darron Lee, and Davis seems like he could be a passable third inside linebacker. 

This trade seems about even, but I'm going to give the Browns a slight edge. Pryor is younger and has more potential than Davis. He's been terrible as a pro thus far, but he could turn things around and become a solid player in the NFL. It probably won't happen, but I can envision a scenario in which it does. 

Grade for Browns - B+ 
Grade for Jets - B 

Follow me @walterfootball

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Wasnt he also defending the accumulation of late round picks by trading back that suddenly arent worth anything and are basically lotto balls?  

People who wanted the Jets to trade down in the first and then complained that they didn't, but instead traded down constantly in the late rounds, were called dumb, or whatever his insult of the day was, that day.

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

This is probably a good time to mention this team would look drastically better if I were GM over the last 10 years.

If you woke up the  the drunkest guy in the parking lot any given Sunday and handed him  a laptop with a functioning internet connection and a few predraft magazines the morning of each draft, would have been immeasurably better result. 

38 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I think the Jets knew they were going to cut Pryor about 5 games into last season. 

I don't even get the sense that people are upset, the reaction to me is more about the typical-ness of the Jets trading a former 1st rounder for a former 3rd rounder of their own taking. I said it earlier, it's the optics, more than it is the actual brass tacks of it.

Yes, and it's also the move in addition to all the other nonsensical sh*t they've done in this regime.

10 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Cimini seriously thinks the sole reason Revis and Marshall are gone is simply because of age?

L - O - ******* - L.

Revis is gone because he sucked last year.  Marshall is gone because he didn't want to play here again.  Jets tried to extend him.

34 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Where were those studs selected?  Smith was 29 overall.  Mathieu 69.  Earl Thomas was 14th.  I assume with the Broncos you meant TJ Ward who was a 2nd rounder.   Don't know who the **** you are talking about in Houston, but I think they are planning to start Hal and Dillon, a 7th and 5th.  Maybe you meant Quinton Demps?  He started there last year.  He's a 4th rounder of the Eagles who has been on 4 teams and was on his 2nd tour with the Texans. He'll be heading to team 5 the Bears this year.  Maybe you meant KC and Eric Berry who was #5 overall.  I have hope for Adams, but the simple fact is that a mid-level starting QB is probably worth as much as the best safety in football.  

If the reports are correct, Dylan Donahue has shorter arms than me and I am 5'9" He will be a very unlikely HOF candidate.

28 minutes ago, thadude said:

Whatever you say buddy.  I guess I'm supposed to believe Devin Smith, Chris Hackenberg, Mauldin, Jenkins and Darron Lee are all actually good players

You said 40-50% of snaps qualifies as a "hit" on a draft pick. Then you said 1 player fits that criteria. 

You're wrong. And you are wrong after having re-calibrated the argument with a metric that should have - in theory - vetted your initial gripe.

Like I said, I'm not even defending Mac here. I just picking on your adolescent rantings and making you look stupid, for sport really. It's not like I'm shedding light on something we don't all know.

45 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

^^^This

Its so Jetsy

Not sure why so many are upset about this move.

We traded away a poor player with some bad locker room habits (with a guaranteed salary) for a a known quantity at LB who is know for being a locker room leader.

Look at it this way - the Jets can release Davis today and they save themselves 1.5 million and a roster spot. If Davis turns out to be worth his salary as far as depth, playing ability and leadership, it will all be gravy.

3 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Not sure why so many are upset about this move.

We traded away a poor player with some bad locker room habits (with a guaranteed salary) for a a known quantity at LB who is know for being a locker room leader.

Look at it this way - the Jets can release Davis today and they save themselves 1.5 million and a roster spot. If Davis turns out to be worth his salary as far as depth, playing ability and leadership, it will all be gravy.

I would have rather traded Pryor for a bag of beans than bring that retread back in.  Maybe they can turn Davis into a safety.

30 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

You said 40-50% of snaps qualifies as a "hit" on a draft pick. Then you said 1 player fits that criteria. 

You're wrong. And you are wrong after having re-calibrated the argument with a metric that should have - in theory - vetted your initial gripe.

Like I said, I'm not even defending Mac here. I just picking on your adolescent rantings and making you look stupid, for sport really. It's not like I'm shedding light on something we don't all know.

geez such a nice day - go take a walk

Archived