Jump to content

Calvin Pryor traded to Browns for Demario Davis: MERGED


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

Bottom line for me is Calvin Pryor's attitude has resulted in this trade. It was the final straw.

He was cheap this year and really should have been fine as a backup on that money. For them to trade him anyway says they just want his attitude out of the locker room.

See, people get all caught up on where someone was drafted. Sometimes you just have to look at who you have on the roster regardless of how they got there and what they offer. 

People are not particularly sad to see Pryor go.  It's just that this move further reinforces that this team has no overall rebuilding plan that makes any sense. Been that way regime after regime. In a league that has catered towards passing offenses we refuse to invest top picks into high ceiling skill players on offense or pass rushing olbs. You know, actually premium positions where you either have to draft them or pay exorbitant amounts of money in FA for them, if they even make it to FA anymore with these inflated cap numbers. 

We instead seem only willing to draft high for safeties and tweener lbers with this regime and dline and corners for previous ones. Not just once and be done with it. Repeatedly to the detriment of fielding an actual competent team. 

We insist on running west coast offenses, which is fine in and of itself until we throw qbs out there that are turnover prone and inaccurate, basically the two worst things you can have in that type of offense. We somehow went two years while setting the TE position back 50 years. I guess i should be happy that we are finally ******* getting rid of the FB as a mandated roster spot. Better have that actual room for those 3-4 qbs we used to hold. None of whom can play worth a damn. 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

I wish the majority of Jet fans would stop being "two faced" for just a minute.  You can't complain for years about how awful Pryor is then complain when you don't get a high draft pick back for him

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Posted Images

 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

If they got a draft pick, how much would that count against the cap?  Conditional picks are there.  By definition, the condition protects the team trading the pick. 

 

Of course, you're assuming there were teams lined up to give the Jets a draft pick, conditional or not, for a player the Jets were probably going to cut at some point before the season. 

Every year there are former 1st round/2nd round pics that are flat out cut. Why? Because no one wanted them. The Jets found a team kind of willing to give Pryor a shot but clearly not willing to offer more than a JAG. Deal with it. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Trading a guy at the peak of his value, keep em comin BIGG MACC

pryor at the peak of his value? he was going to be released outright.  at the worst they got some camp fodder.  at the best they got a guy who can spell harris.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Not only does Marshall have top ten all time stats but hes done some things no one has ever done . Playoffs and playoff wins can count towards a QB's chances if the stats are not up to par (see Joe Willie) but a WR ? They can only do so much if their team just is not good enough to win or make the playoffs. I think its hilarious people point to the fact of Marshall not making the playoffs as a reason for him not to make the Hall. 

I have nothing against him as a player but what has he done that no one has ever done?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

People are not particularly sad to see Pryor go.  It's just that this move further reinforces that this team has no overall rebuilding plan that makes any sense. Been that way regime after regime. In a league that has catered towards passing offenses we refuse to invest top picks into high ceiling skill players on offense or pass rushing olbs. You know, actually premium positions where you either have to draft them or pay exorbitant amounts of money in FA for them, if they even make it to FA anymore with these inflated cap numbers. 

We instead seem only willing to draft high for safeties and tweener lbers with this regime and dline and corners for previous ones. Not just once and be done with it. Repeatedly to the detriment of fielding an actual competent team. 

We insist on running west coast offenses, which is fine in and of itself until we throw qbs out there that are turnover prone and inaccurate, basically the two worst things you can have in that type of offense. We somehow went two years while setting the TE position back 50 years. I guess i should be happy that we are finally ******* getting rid of the FB as a mandated roster spot. Better have that actual room for those 3-4 qbs we used to hold. None of whom can play worth a damn. 

 

 

 

 

agree to a certain extent.  no plan?  they drafted the two safeties specifically so they could launch pryor.  that alone improves the defense.  and even though they haven't got that edge rusher, guys like dwight freeney only succeeded when they had guys like bob sanders in the secondary. maybe adams was picked too high at 6 but the guy is clearly a top flight players. maye? he was picked high enough that he should also make a huge impact.

and pryor was turning into a cancer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, adb280z said:

I have nothing against him as a player but what has he done that no one has ever done?

He has the most 100 catch seasons in NFL history. I think he's borderline right now, but a few more solid years gets him in definitely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

People are not particularly sad to see Pryor go.  It's just that this move further reinforces that this team has no overall rebuilding plan that makes any sense.

ya think?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Not to mention we have yet again a peter principle duo with gm and hc, both of which may very well be fired in a year or two and a subsequent duo will tear down and jettison the previous work done thus starting another rebuild. 

Either Woody and Mac have a deal and are on the same page, or Mac is the biggest professional ever.

He didn't reach for a QB or overpay for someone like Cutler. He even traded away a pick this year for next. Either he is a true professional and is doing what is best for the team even in the face of being fired, or he and Woody are on the same page/have a deal. Mac has a plan - we either hit pay dirt with Hack or Petty or we draft a QB next year in a much better QB class. A guy trying to save his job would have taken a shot at one of the QBs in the draft or with Cutler. He went BPA, took the best players he could, and started rebuilding this team and wasn't worried about flash.

Now, Bowles that is another story. The team better play right without the locker room drama, or he is likely gone.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bostonmajet said:

Either Woody and Mac have a deal and are on the same page, or Mac is the biggest professional ever.

He didn't reach for a QB or overpay for someone like Cutler. He even traded away a pick this year for next. Either he is a true professional and is doing what is best for the team even in the face of being fired, or he and Woody are on the same page/have a deal. Mac has a plan - we either hit pay dirt with Hack or Petty or we draft a QB next year in a much better QB class. A guy trying to save his job would have taken a shot at one of the QBs in the draft or with Cutler. He went BPA, took the best players he could, and started rebuilding this team and wasn't worried about flash.

Now, Bowles that is another story. The team better play right without the locker room drama, or he is likely gone.

So Mac is either the most brilliantest genius ever or the greatest GM ever?  Understood.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

There was nothing of value to get in return for Calvin (if anything at all), so they dumped the player and the salary on someone else who thinks they can fix him.  In return they got a player who can be decent depth or who can, at worst, be cut for about 2mil in savings.  This is quite literally a "please take him off our hands" type of deal that happens in every sport, despite what the village idiots here would have you believe.

Yeah no sh*t. I don't think they could have gotten more for Pryor by any means. Perhaps I should have been clearer. My first line was addition by subtraction was it not? We will see followed that. I was referring to whether they would cut or keep Davis. I thought that was easily understood. I guess not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Yeah no sh*t. I don't think they could have gotten more for Pryor by any means. Perhaps I should have been clearer. My first line was addition by subtraction was it not? We will see followed that. I was referring to whether they would cut or keep Davis. I thought that was easily understood. I guess not.

I...wasn't disagreeing with you. I was adding on to your points...all of which I agreed with.  

I understood you, I don't think you understood me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, adb280z said:

I have nothing against him as a player but what has he done that no one has ever done?

NFL records and milestones[edit]

  • First to have a 1,000 receiving yard season with four different teams (Denver, Miami, Chicago and NYJ)
  • Most seasons with 100+ receptions (6)
  • Most receptions in an NFL game (21)[3]
  • Third-most receptions in an NFL game (18)[34]
  • Most receptions spanning five games in NFL history (55)[6]
  • First player in NFL history to have at least 10 receptions in four out of five games[6][35] (now tied with Calvin Johnson)
  • First player since 1960 to record eight career games of at least 10 receptions in his first four seasons[49]
  • Fifth player in NFL history (first Broncos player; one of six total) to have at least 100 receptions in three straight seasons[4]
  • Ninth player in NFL history (second Broncos player) to have at least 100 receptions in back-to-back seasons (2007 and 2008)[42]
  • Caught 102 passes in 2007(second-career NFL season), becoming only the third second-year player in NFL history to have at least 100 receptions in a season[22]

 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    58 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

    Oh I'm not disputing it. I remember everything about that.  I just didn't think that, of all things, THAT was gonna be the one thing you brought up, lmao. 

    Genuine praise for the morbidness.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, thadude said:

    So Mac is either the most brilliantest genius ever or the greatest GM ever?  Understood.

    Nope; he appears to have a plan; and Woody seems to support it - that was all I said. Didn't say it would work out. Didn't say it wouldn't.

     

    RIF.

    • Upvote 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    17 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

    Oh I'm not disputing it. I remember everything about that.  I just didn't think that, of all things, THAT was gonna be the one thing you brought up, lmao. 

    Genuine praise for the morbidness.

    Smashmouth tends to bring that out in me

    • Upvote 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, jetfan39 said:

    it remains to be seen if it was just talk but it looks like he is changing it this year.  He stated that they are doing it different this year, something they never tried before, going with young players. If that is the case I'm sure he gave bowles and mac assurances that their jobs did not hinge on making the playoffs. Hopefully he meant it and Bowles is smart enough to do it right. That part is a little iffy, but you never know.  Maybe both the owner and coach can change.

    I admire your optimism.  Miracles can happen.  

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    8 hours ago, flgreen said:

    Actually it does.  it changes from the fact that they were going to cut a bad player, and get nothing, to they get something.  Not much but they get a Meh player, for a bad player, and get almost $2 M back if the cut Davis

     

    So it's Demario Davis OR $1.7 million in cap space? Just clarifying because I'm having a hard time containing my praise for Big Macc on this one.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

    So it's Demario Davis OR $1.7 million in cap space? Just clarifying because I'm having a hard time containing my praise for Big Macc on this one.

    well i guess everyone thinks the jets should get a 1st round talent for a player they chose in the first round.  that's certainly understandable but pryor just wasn't that good and he apparently was one of the cancers in the locker room.  they were going to release him anyway.  adams and maye more than make up for losing gilchrist and pryor.  and they get davis back. davis has his limitations but he also had 99 tackles last season and 2 sacks.  that's way more than pryor had in spite of his "hitman" reputation.

    is this a great move by mac? certainly not.  it's a little above sideways. at best davis spells harris.  at worst he gets cut and frees up cap space.  the cap space could be used to sign a training camp cut somewhere down the line.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Guest
    Reply to this topic...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




    ×
    ×
    • Create New...