Calvin Pryor traded to Browns for Demario Davis: MERGED

Ghost

12 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Of course, you're assuming there were teams lined up to give the Jets a draft pick, conditional or not, for a player the Jets were probably going to cut at some point before the season. 

Every year there are former 1st round/2nd round pics that are flat out cut. Why? Because no one wanted them. The Jets found a team kind of willing to give Pryor a shot but clearly not willing to offer more than a JAG. Deal with it. 

12 hours ago, rangerous said:

pryor at the peak of his value? he was going to be released outright.  at the worst they got some camp fodder.  at the best they got a guy who can spell harris.

What I am hearing is that Pryor got his way by skipping some OTAs.  I'm fine with getting a player for him, but getting one that pretty much have to cut is kind of odd.  The Browns are taking on salary and they dumped one on us. Seems curious to me. 

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rangerous said:

well i guess everyone thinks the jets should get a 1st round talent for a player they chose in the first round.  that's certainly understandable but pryor just wasn't that good and he apparently was one of the cancers in the locker room.  they were going to release him anyway.  adams and maye more than make up for losing gilchrist and pryor.  and they get davis back. davis has his limitations but he also had 99 tackles last season and 2 sacks.  that's way more than pryor had in spite of his "hitman" reputation.

is this a great move by mac? certainly not.  it's a little above sideways. at best davis spells harris.  at worst he gets cut and frees up cap space.  the cap space could be used to sign a training camp cut somewhere down the line.

The Jets have used 2 first round picks on safeties in 4 years. We just unloaded one of them for an ILB that we let walk a year back who wasn't very good in the first place, a year after we just used a first on an ILB to boot. This whole sh*t is a series of lame preposterousness and anyone claiming that objectively viewing things as bad as hating or complaining needs to get over themselves. We have done nothing but invest in safety and ILB for two years now. Maccagnan is legit ******* terrible and the sooner this fanbase (particularly season ticket holders) demands he be held accountable for these nonsense moves instead of praising him for freeing up $1.7 million in cap space the better. 

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The Jets have used 2 first round picks on safeties in 4 years. We just unloaded one of them for an ILB that we let walk a year back who wasn't very good in the first place, a year after we just used a first on an ILB to boot. This whole sh*t is a series of lame preposterousness and anyone claiming that objectively viewing things as bad as hating or complaining needs to get over themselves. We have done nothing but invest in safety and ILB for two years now. Maccagnan is legit ******* terrible and the sooner this fanbase (particularly season ticket holders) demands he be held accountable for these nonsense moves instead of praising him for freeing up $1.7 million in cap space the better. 

Nice, but two points:

1. S and ILB do seem like the positions that Bowles is in love with, so maybe it is not just Maccagnan?

2.  He didn't free up $1.7M in cap space yet.  Right now, he took on more salary.  I will be at "fine, whatever" when they cut Davis.  Until then, I am firmly in the WTF? camp. 

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

YEA BUT BIGGG MACCC THO

Calvin Pryor's career stats...44 games, 191 tackles, 1/2 sack, 2 forced fumbles, 2 int's and 14 pass breakups. Last year alone, Davis had 99 tackles, 2 sacks and 1 forced fumble. Calvin Pryor is not a good football player, to put it mildly. Davis is not an all pro by any means, but is a productive player who will help this team. Much more than Pryor, for sure. I think this is a great trade for the Jets. I don't see a negative here at all. 

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Nice, but two points:

1. S and ILB do seem like the positions that Bowles is in love with, so maybe it is not just Maccagnan?

2.  He didn't free up $1.7M in cap space yet.  Right now, he took on more salary.  I will be at "fine, whatever" when they cut Davis.  Until then, I am firmly in the WTF? camp. 

That's my favorite part.  We're dumping salary...but yet, we're not.  And lets be honest, $1.7 mill isnt breaking any team, no GM is sitting around stressing that he's got $1.7 mill in a player that sucks that he cant free up in June.  Especially not a rock bottom sh*t bag of a team like the Jets.

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Calvin Pryor's career stats...44 games, 191 tackles, 1/2 sack, 2 forced fumbles, 2 int's and 14 pass breakups. Last year alone, Davis had 99 tackles, 2 sacks and 1 forced fumble. Calvin Pryor is not a good football player, to put it mildly. Davis is not an all pro by any means, but is a productive player who will help this team. Much more than Pryor, for sure. I think this is a great trade for the Jets. I don't see a negative here at all. 

Curious, why did they let Davis walk last year? 

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Nice, but two points:

It's all WTF no matter what. The man has invested more time and resources into finding inside linebackers and safeties over the past two years than he has finding a quarterback. If the consolation prize of even that stupid plan not working out is $1.7 mill than that's honestly more infuriating. Find a ******* quarterback. 

21 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What I am hearing is that Pryor got his way by skipping some OTAs.  I'm fine with getting a player for him, but getting one that pretty much have to cut is kind of odd.  The Browns are taking on salary and they dumped one on us. Seems curious to me. 

We drafted two safeties in the first 2 rounds of the draft. What does that tell you about how much value Calvin Pryor has? 

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We drafted two safeties in the first 2 rounds of the draft. What does that tell you about how much value Calvin Pryor has? 

Why did the let Davis walk and then proceed to play Pryor on 80% of the snaps last year?

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That only tells me how the Jets value him.  No offense, but I am not convinced they are the paragon of arbiters of NFL talent and value.

Just now, JiF said:

I thought that was for Harrison? 

They are cumulative, duh.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Curious, why did they let Davis walk last year? 

I would bet that Davis wanted  more $ than the Jets were willing to pay, and they thought they could find a better or at least a player of equal value in the draft. I hear your point, but my argument is that getting back a player that can be a positive on the field for a guy that is a consistent liability is a good move.  Davis is an NFL player, Pryor is not. That is my point.

15 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Thats cool EY tell me where the last 4 coaches of the Jets currently reside. Rex is in the Booth, Is Mangini still in football ? Herm is at ESPN Al Groh ? College ? what a crew.

You telling me things would not be different if the coach didn't have so much of a say on who gets drafted and was actually competent at in game management and adjustments at halftime and not keeping his DC friend in the mix after taking play calling ability from him after a few games last year ? I mean you going to tell me this team would not be different if we had Harbaugh instead of Bowles /? of course your not . Woody himself said Bowles and Macc are on the same level meaning Bowles had just as much a say in the draft as Macc 

EY I would not always blame the coach if any of them showed any type of competency. I think Mangini could have been a good coach if given the chance and a little change in attitude but the other ones ? At least Mangini knew how to build a team. Rex and Herm really ? You should be outraged at the coaching this team has dealt with after Parcells finally brought us back top respectability after the crappy years of the early 90's. Our coaching has been that bad

One could make exactly the same argument about all these players.  Where are all the Jets players who couldn't succeed because of poor coaching these days?  How many have gone on to great success elsewhere?

Being at the same level in an organization does not mean they all have the same responsibilities... In fact, if you really believe that, then you must also believe that Maccagnan is just as responsible for playcalling, strategy, and in-game adjustments as Bowles is.  And, as for the coaches say in who gets drafted, that's a narrative you (and others) have crafted, that is completely unverifiable.  In fact, the only time we actually got any evidence regarding this is when Tannenbaum said he gives Rex 1 pick (late in the draft) and on the other side, you have Rex complaining that he in fact, did not want the guy we drafted (Hill).

I'm not saying that the difference between Harbaugh and Bowles is negligible, but I am saying that the difference between Harbaugh and Bowles is far less significant than the difference between the Jets roster and the (insert any team here outside of maybe the Browns, 49ers, Jax, and St. Louis).

I'll sum this up with a pretty simple question... Was Bill Belichick "incompetent" when he coached in Cleveland?  Was he "incompetent" in New England up until Mo Lewis hit Drew Bledsoe?  I'm not a fan, per say, of any of the coaches we've had.  But, we've also never had good, sustained, QB play in my lifetime... And, I'd take Tom Brady and Todd Bowles over Bill Belichick and McCown/Petty/Hackenberg every single time, and that's ignoring the rest of the roster.  Blaming it all, or most of it, on the coach is a cop-out, but it sure does make us feel good.  It's super easy to think, "If we just replace one guy, everything will be better."  Certainly, far easier than acknowledging that the whole team stinks, which is by no means as easy a fix as just firing a bad coach and hiring a good one.

Just now, section314 said:

I would bet that Davis wanted  more $ than the Jets were willing to pay, and they thought they could find a better or at least a player of equal value in the draft. I hear your point, but my argument is that getting back a player that can be a positive on the field for a guy that is a consistent liability is a good move.  Davis is an NFL player, Pryor is not. That is my point.

Meh, they gave a useless contract right around the same amount of money to Matt Forte.  If they really valued Davis, they could have made it happen.  But, they let him walk and proceed to roll out Pryor on 80% of the snaps last year.

Maybe there is more to this trade than meets the eye right now but the optics right off the rip screams of a team that has no direction or plan. 

15 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

I think a lot of the team is unknown. So yeah, that would put us at the bottom of the league in terms of trading roster for roster because the Jets don't really know what they have yet. You have guys like Jenkins, Lee, Burris, Anderson, Peake who all played well who can take steps forward next year. Enunwa can get even better, maybe ASJ bounces back, etc etc. Plus this years entire class. 

For a team who is in year 1 of their rebuild, I think they have a pretty solid roster of depth guys with some who can turn into more. Macs done a good job building that back end of this roster and thats where you start. Then you can start being more aggressive and taking more chances. 

Is there a team in the NFL that this doesn't apply to?  I'd bet 32 fan bases can name their Jenkins, Lees, Burris, Andersons, and Peakes who, if they just play up to their "potential" will take the team to the next level.  Maybe they have a solid player like Enunwa who can get better.  Maybe they have a reclamation project too?  I'm willing to bet they all drafted players who they hope/think might work out?  It seems like you're acting like the Jets are the only team who may actually get better, but I think all teams stand that possibility, no?

Also, it feels more like year 3, then year 1.  But, I guess that's just me.

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

That only tells me how the Jets value him.  No offense, but I am not convinced they are the paragon of arbiters of NFL talent and value.

Fine. So when teams knew the Jets were getting rid of Pyror, why didn't a team offer more for Pryor? Unless you are suggesting the Jets turned down a 1st round pick from the Pats or a 2nd round pick from the Steelers or a 3rd round pick from the Cowboys for Pyror? Are you seriously suggesting that? 

The reality is that EVERY GM offers their unwanted players around and eventually take the best offer. That is how we got Brandon Marhsall for a 5th rounder and its how the Browns got Pyror for Davis. Those were the best deals for each team. Not sure why some of you still don't understand that. 

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

Why did the let Davis walk and then proceed to play Pryor on 80% of the snaps last year?

They let Davis walk because they didn't particularly care for him. Now they see him as depth and a guy they can cut without a cap hit. I can't wait until the Jets cut Davis and guys like you act as if it is a shocking move. 

Why did Pryor play 80% of the snaps last year? Because this team had sh!t talent at safety and he was the best of the garbage. We also played Revis on like 100pct of the snaps last year and he is off the team and no one else wants him. 

4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Is there a team in the NFL that this doesn't apply to?  I'd bet 32 fan bases can name their Jenkins, Lees, Burris, Andersons, and Peakes who, if they just play up to their "potential" will take the team to the next level.  Maybe they have a solid player like Enunwa who can get better.  Maybe they have a reclamation project too?  I'm willing to bet they all drafted players who they hope/think might work out?  It seems like you're acting like the Jets are the only team who may actually get better, but I think all teams stand that possibility, no?

Also, it feels more like year 3, then year 1.  But, I guess that's just me.

QFT. Literally every team in the league has a Robby Anderson, and they're as excited about theirs as we are about ours.

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Fine. So when teams knew the Jets were getting rid of Pyror, why didn't a team offer more for Pryor? Unless you are suggesting the Jets turned down a 1st round pick from the Pats or a 2nd round pick from the Steelers or a 3rd round pick from the Cowboys for Pyror? Are you seriously suggesting that? 

The reality is that EVERY GM offers their unwanted players around and eventually take the best offer. That is how we got Brandon Marhsall for a 5th rounder and its how the Browns got Pyror for Davis. Those were the best deals for each team. Not sure why some of you still don't understand that. 

What the **** is with you ******* people and the ******* 1st round picks?  I am talking about maybe a 6th.  You know, something I would prefer to Demario Davis. 

13 hours ago, rangerous said:

agree to a certain extent.  no plan?  they drafted the two safeties specifically so they could launch pryor.  that alone improves the defense.  and even though they haven't got that edge rusher, guys like dwight freeney only succeeded when they had guys like bob sanders in the secondary. maybe adams was picked too high at 6 but the guy is clearly a top flight players. maye? he was picked high enough that he should also make a huge impact.

and pryor was turning into a cancer. 

I mean, I guess investing your two top draft resources specifically so you can get rid of a disappointing safety who was far from the biggest problem on this team, is a plan of some sort.

26 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's all WTF no matter what. The man has invested more time and resources into finding inside linebackers and safeties over the past two years than he has finding a quarterback. If the consolation prize of even that stupid plan not working out is $1.7 mill than that's honestly more infuriating. Find a ******* quarterback. 

Perhaps you didn't hear that Christian Hackenberg deserves your patience.

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What the **** is with you ******* people and the ******* 1st round picks?  I am talking about maybe a 6th.  You know, something I would prefer to Demario Davis. 

NOBODY IS GIVING UP A 6TH ROUND PICK FOR A GARBAGE SAFETY THAT THE SH!tTY JETS DON'T EVEN WANT!!!

READ THAT OVER AND OVER UNTIL IT GETS THROUGH TO YOU

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Maybe there is more to this trade than meets the eye right now but the optics right off the rip screams of a team that has no direction or plan. 

1. They flip Davis for something else/better.

2. They had an agreement with the Browns to sign Davis to offset the Forte or McClendon contracts so they could get a comp pick.  They didn't care about not having Davis in 2016 because they were tanking for the top safety prospect in ages, but they really wanted him back.

GENIUS! 

They let Davis walk because they didn't particularly care for him. Now they see him as depth and a guy they can cut without a cap hit. I can't wait until the Jets cut Davis and guys like you act as if it is a shocking move. 

Why did Pryor play 80% of the snaps last year? Because this team had sh!t talent at safety and he was the best of the garbage. We also played Revis on like 100pct of the snaps last year and he is off the team and no one else wants him. 

I'd place a proper wager that Davis sees all 17 weeks of Football in a Jets uniform.

If Pryor was such sh*t, why didnt they try to upgrade the position last season?  Why did they stand pat with their safeties in a year they expected to be a playoff contender? Clearly Bowles values the S in a big way, but he was all good with Pryor last year?

NOBODY IS GIVING UP A 6TH ROUND PICK FOR A GARBAGE SAFETY THAT THE sh*tTY JETS DON'T EVEN WANT!!!

INSTEAD WE GOT A LINEBACKER THAT THE sh*tTY BROWNS AND NOT LONG AGO THE sh*tTY JETS DON'T EVEN WANT, WHO PLAYS A POSITION WE RECENTLY INVESTED A 1ST ROUND PICK IN, WHO IS APPARENTLY WORTH CONSIDERABLY LESS THAN A 6TH ROUND PICK!!!

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

NOBODY IS GIVING UP A 6TH ROUND PICK FOR A GARBAGE SAFETY THAT THE SH!tTY JETS DON'T EVEN WANT!!!

I thought finding an established NFL player was worth more than a 6th round pick?  What gives?

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Meh, they gave a useless contract right around the same amount of money to Matt Forte.  If they really valued Davis, they could have made it happen.  But, they let him walk and proceed to roll out Pryor on 80% of the snaps last year.

Totally disagree on this. 1) The team is letting the bad locker room guys go( Revis, Marshall, Fitz, Pryor, couple of more to follow) 2) Is finally admitting to a rebuild from owner on down 3) Brought in asst. coaches who all have reputations as teachers, and getting much younger at many positions in the process.  This team is a mess starting from the 2008 draft until now. We only have 2 #1 picks from 2008-to 2014 on the team. Think about that! We have an entire class(2010) that is not on the team or may even be totally out of the league.  No team could prosper under circumstances like that. I do really see a direction here, for once. More importantly is that I believe  Woody finally does. Will he stick with it? That's the million $ question.

8 minutes ago, gEYno said:

INSTEAD WE GOT A LINEBACKER THAT THE sh*tTY BROWNS AND NOT LONG AGO THE sh*tTY JETS DON'T EVEN WANT, WHO PLAYS A POSITION WE RECENTLY INVESTED A 1ST ROUND PICK IN, WHO IS APPARENTLY WORTH CONSIDERABLY LESS THAN A 6TH ROUND PICK!!!

Yes, because we can cut him with no cap hit. Would you sleep better at night if we just cut Pryor?

16 hours ago, gEYno said:

Most GMs do make bad moves.  Most of Mac's moves are bad.  As evidenced by the fact that heading into year 3, he has one of the least talented teams in the NFL and is in contention for a #1 overall pick.

You are only in contention for the #1 overall pick as the season winds down and you are at the very bottom of the league in wins. Even then, you are only 'in contention' and nothing is guaranteed, you could easily win a meaningless game and lose that spot to an even worse team, riddled with injuries.

I would not be at all surprised if, with a little bit of luck with injuries and SOME stability at the QB position, the Jets win 8 games- and regardless of whether its good or bad for the future of the Franchise, are nowhere near the #1 overall pick. The Jets have talent on this team, young talent. The question is can that talent rise up and play to its potential? Can the team play well together as a whole? Can impact players stay healthy? We shall see. 

Yes, because we can cut him with no cap hit. Would you sleep better at night if we just cut Pryor?

When I think of the keys to rebuilding, it's saving 1.7 million with no cap hit.

I know telling you this again isn't going to stick, but it's not like this move exists alone.

Archived