Calvin Pryor traded to Browns for Demario Davis: MERGED

Ghost

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, section314 said:

Totally disagree on this. 1) The team is letting the bad locker room guys go( Revis, Marshall, Fitz, Pryor, couple of more to follow) 2) Is finally admitting to a rebuild from owner on down 3) Brought in asst. coaches who all have reputations as teachers, and getting much younger at many positions in the process.  This team is a mess starting from the 2008 draft until now. We only have 2 #1 picks from 2008-to 2014 on the team. Think about that! We have an entire class(2010) that is not on the team or may even be totally out of the league.  No team could prosper under circumstances like that. I do really see a direction here, for once. More importantly is that I believe  Woody finally does. Will he stick with it? That's the million $ question.

The team still has Eric Decker, Sheldon Richardson and Mo Wilk on the roster.  Plenty of sh*theads left in the building.

In terms of a rebuild from owner on down - I dont recall Woody selling the team.  It's a rebuild 3 years after a rebuild with the same regime deploying the exact same strategy that failed 3 years ago. 

Tell me what direction you see?  Because I see a team that doesnt have a QB, doesnt have WR's, has a meh OL, has meh RB's, has a terrible Head Coach, is implementing a new offense, retained the same sh*tty DC, has no CB's, spent an insane amount of resources on non-premium positions, is revamping a secondary they revamped 3 years go, is now bringing back player they got rid of just 1 year ago for a player they clearly were confident in entering into last season.

So please, tell me the direction you see. 

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

You are only in contention for the #1 overall pick as the season winds down and you are at the very bottom of the league in wins. Even then, you are only 'in contention' and nothing is guaranteed, you could easily win a meaningless game and lose that spot to an even worse team, riddled with injuries.

I would not be at all surprised if, with a little bit of luck with injuries and SOME stability at the QB position, the Jets win 8 games- and regardless of whether its good or bad for the future of the Franchise, are nowhere near the #1 overall pick. The Jets have talent on this team, young talent. The question is can that talent rise up and play to its potential? Can the team play well together as a whole? Can impact players stay healthy? We shall see. 

Thank you, PepPep, for explaining to me how a team gets the top pick in the draft.  Thank you.

Who are these "impact players" you're talking about, though?  Also, I'll ask you the same question I asked MDL_JETs... Are we the only team in the league with young players the respective fanbases think may pan out?  

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

The team still has Eric Decker, Sheldon Richardson and Mo Wilk on the roster.  Plenty of sh*theads left in the building.

In terms of a rebuild from owner on down - I dont recall Woody selling the team.  It's a rebuild 3 years after a rebuild with the same regime deploying the exact same strategy that failed 3 years ago. 

Tell me what direction you see?  Because I see a team that doesnt have a QB, doesnt have WR's, has a meh OL, has meh RB's, has a terrible Head Coach, is implementing a new offense, retained the same sh*tty DC, has no CB's, spent an insane amount of resources on non-premium positions, is revamping a secondary they revamped 3 years go, is now bringing back player they got rid of just 1 year ago for a player they clearly were confident in entering into last season.

Down counts as a direction... So does backwards.

10 minutes ago, gEYno said:

When I think of the keys to rebuilding, it's saving 1.7 million with no cap hit.

I know telling you this again isn't going to stick, but it's not like this move exists alone.

I get that your upset this team sucks. But each move stands alone. When you have a player that isn't very good, that has been replaced in the draft and he wants out you generally don't get much back. You certainly don't get draft picks back. Brandon Marshall, when he was still very good, netted a 5th rounder. Please explain to me why a team would trade a 6th round pick for Calvin Pryor? 

The SOJF crew is losing their sh!t. 

16 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yes, because we can cut him with no cap hit. Would you sleep better at night if we just cut Pryor?

I could be wrong but I still think this will be a 1 yr tryout for Davis to see if he can replace Harris to play alongside Lee. I don't think his prior time w/Jets that his game complimented Harris.  So I see him sticking for '17 as ILB depth / STs..I don't believe the Jets need the cap room so why not carry him for the season..

7 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I could be wrong but I still think this will be a 1 yr tryout for Davis to see if he can replace Harris to play alongside Lee. I don't think his prior time w/Jets that his game complimented Harris.  So I see him sticking for '17 as ILB depth / STs..I don't believe the Jets need the cap room so why not carry him for the season..

That's very possible, but I doubt they make the trade if they didn't have the option to also cut him without a cap hit. It's a free rental which is better than cutting a player outright. Of course the SOJF's are still baffled that we didn't land a franchise QB in return....

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That's very possible, but I doubt they make the trade if they didn't have the option to also cut him without a cap hit. It's a free rental which is better than cutting a player outright. Of course the SOJF's are still baffled that we didn't land a franchise QB in return....

JoJoTownsell1

• Tank For Darnold

SOJF's

16 hours ago, Dcat said:

well of course there needs to be more Qualified UFA losses than gains, that goes without saying. But all things being equal, if multiple teams have the same exact net loss in Qualified UFAs, the UFA's who got the bigger salaries from their new teams are more likely to yield higher comp picks, or any comp picks at all.  There were some teams who had a net loss but got zero comp picks and that was solely because of salaries given to the UFAs they lost.  So yes, losing Davis as an UFA after 2017 will help with net losses vs gains, but if he gets $2M or less, chances are other teams will fare better and the net loss will result in nothing.

It's not nothing until it's nothing. Unless his next contract is for the NFL minimum for a player with his accrued years, Davis will be a qualifying UFA that will offset a signed UFA signed by the Jets. 

The problem isn't Davis and his value. The problem is when we lose enough qualifying UFAs, our GM signs other teams' UFAs like he doesn't know the difference between a UFA whose contract expired and a UFA who was cut by his prior team. We were set to pick up 3-4 comp picks and we ended up with 1 (and even that 1 was lucky). The only thing that saved Maccagnan from himself (in terms of a comp pick for Snacks) was that his horrid multimillion dollar guaranteed UFA pickup Jenkins was so spectacularly awful, that he wasn't even worth keeping for the rest of the season. Of course millions in cap space was still used on half a season of Jenkins as a backup, instead of using that $ on another; an equal amount wouldn't have been needed to push forward for another one of his disaster FA signings, like Fitzpatrick (his "dead cap" number would be more like $2m than $5m).

16 hours ago, AFJF said:

Overthecap lists him at $3.2 million with $1 million up front from Cleveland which should bring Davis in at $2.2 million with the ability to cut him with zero cap hit.

Could be reading it wrong, but for some reason some of his numbers are coming up blank.

You are reading it wrong. We didn't pay him any up front bonus money, so we're only on the hook for his salary (if he's kept). However we're on the hook for that entire salary amount, or $3.7m. That is the NYJ cap hit for Davis if he's on the opening day roster (the point at which his full salary gets guaranteed). 

To me, this trade symbolizes the business of today's NFL, and am unsure that the Jets Front Office completely get it.   It is basically the same theme as the failed Mo trade, the failed SR trade, and paradoxically the Osweiler trade.

The Name of the Game in the NFL are:

• Draft Picks
  • Cap Space
  • Players on their Rookie Contracts (1st round draft picks with basically 5 year deals are very good)

You can spend a high draft pick for a player locked in relatively cheap, or you can spend cap space for a player you think is good and can take you to the next level, but it does not make much sense to spend major cap space on a player that also costs a high draft pick.  

So....

• Despite the fact that many Jets fans and the Front Office thought that they could franchise Mo and then trade him, there were no takers, at least not for the first round draft pick(s) people thought were justified.  A team is not going to spend a high draft pick on a player that they also need to pay $15+mm per year to.
  • The appetite to give up a high draft pick for SR was not great either.  If we really could have gotten a 2nd round draft pick last year and shed SR and his salary, turning that down was criminal.
  • The Texans basically PAID the Browns to take Osweiler and his contract.  Teams used to PAY other teams to get QBs.
  • In this deal, the Jets basically gave up Pryor, and in return the Browns took his contract and the right to have him play for them, for a year.  Then maybe they get a comp pick if he leaves.  One would hope that Mac asked for a conditional low round draft pick for Pryor, but as we see there is not one.  The Jets received basically an OPTION to keep Davis on their roster.  At this point the transaction is cap negative, but Davis' comp is not guaranteed.  I guess the Jets are also taking injury risk.

Personally, I would have liked to see the Jets either draft an ILB of the future or sign one with a contract that goes beyond 2017.  At this point the Jets have 2 ILBs on the last year on their contract.  As much as I like D Harris, having him play his likely last year on a rebuilding team for like $7mm did not make any sense.  All we can do is watch this space, but if they end up keeping $11mm in cap space this year on Harris and Davis, which amounts could be applied to next year, that makes no sense.  The better answers are to either restructure Davis longer turn or cut the both of them and go with Carter, the rookie FA, Stanford, and whomever else pops loose.

2 hours ago, Cornfed said:

So we just traded back two rounds with ourselves? Makes sense.

The Jets name did.  The current Jets GM was not the regime that drafted Davis (Tanny) & Pryor (Idzik)..When will people grasp this..This is what you get when you constantly change regimes every 2-3 yrs

30 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Thank you, PepPep, for explaining to me how a team gets the top pick in the draft.  Thank you.

Who are these "impact players" you're talking about, though?  Also, I'll ask you the same question I asked MDL_JETs... Are we the only team in the league with young players the respective fanbases think may pan out?  

What kind of team going into year 3 do you expect to see? I'm curious what Mac SHOULD have this team looking like? Should we have made the playoffs twice, maybe even once? Should we have at least 3 probowl/allpro players from our 2 draft classes? Should we already have our long awaited franchise QB? Or maybe drafted Watson to put us over the top in year 3? 

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

All fair points, I will answer/rebut in order..................1) think 2 of the 3 will be gone, at the latest by end of season, hopefully sooner. My guess last man standing will be Wilk, and hopefully he will be neutered by the rest of the malcontents being eliminated. 2) Woody...I agree, would love to see a new owner:D. Don't think there was a rebuild here until 2017 began. Don't see any real similarity between this off season and 2015. 3)  Hack is the QB, would have liked Mike Williams but did draft two players at WR who seem to be good players and will contribute, did put $ into O-line( Beachum and Winters) plus Shell showed marked improvement when he played last few games, Rodgers, tend to agree with you, think secondary with Claiborne, Burris and two rooks will be raw but way more athletic and talented.  RB's are adequate, not great.   Simply put, the direction finally seems to be finally pulling out the weeds from the garden, putting down new soil and planting new things instead of just putting mulch on it every year. 

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

All fair points, I will answer/rebut in order..................1) think 2 of the 3 will be gone, at the latest by end of season, hopefully sooner. My guess last man standing will be Wilk, and hopefully he will be neutered by the rest of the malcontents being eliminated. 2) Woody...I agree, would love to see a new owner:D. Don't think there was a rebuild here until 2017 began. Don't see any real similarity between this off season and 2015. 3)  Hack is the QB, would have liked Mike Williams but did draft two players at WR who seem to be good players and will contribute, did put $ into O-line( Beachum and Winters) plus Shell showed marked improvement when he played last few games, Rodgers, tend to agree with you, think secondary with Claiborne, Burris and two rooks will be raw but way more athletic and talented.  RB's are adequate, not great.   Simply put, the direction finally seems to be finally pulling out the weeds from the garden, putting down new soil and planting new things instead of just putting mulch on it every year. 

Re: Rodgers. Not saying he's Bud Carson however, he was DC in '15 when D was top 5ish..'17 will have 4 new starting DBs so that explains how much of a train wreck '16 was. I'd also add CB Roberts as showing potential

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

So it's Demario Davis OR $1.7 million in cap space? Just clarifying because I'm having a hard time containing my praise for Big Macc on this one.

If I were you I'd throw a party.  I'll come as long as you have FREE beer and wings.  if it's one of those wine and cheese party's never mind

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

I'm happy the Jets rid themselves of high priced sh*tty vets and seem to have a focus on youth and speed.  This is good.  

I think the approach is what frustrates me because it really isnt all that much different from 2015 which put us here in the first place.  I dont think the way you build a team is with safeties and inside linebackers.  And I hate the fact they're going through the same fruitless exercise of starting a sh*tty journeyman QB while hoping Hack and Petty can be something while limiting their reps.  The reality is more than likely, neither of them ever see the field because they're terrible compared to McCown.  McCown has an injury history, so maybe we see one that way but either way, the focus should have been to dump every inch of effort into Hack and Petty and ride or die with them because that's what you do when you take QB's in back to back drafts and one in the 2nd round and proceed to pass on 3 1st round QB's over the past 2 years.  

There has been very little effort in shoring up the OL, finding a pass rusher, finding play makers and ultimately fielding a competent offense.  Those 3 components, are how you win in the NFL today.  Instead, once again, the Jets are singularly focused on D and IMO putting the wrong emphasis on how they're building that D. 

Potentially saving $1.7m (which may have only been $1m) is a hallmark of a shrewd GM who's always thinking.

However, blowing through the following should be ignored:

• $3m for 2 bad/useless months of Janoris Jenkins
  • $39m for 2 seasons of Revis (one pretty good, one bad)
  • $6m for 1 season of Josh McCown (maybe this will be the great one!)
  • $7m for 1 bad season of Cromartie
  • $7.5m/yr for Brian Winters, guaranteed for 2 years.
  • $19m for 3 years of Buster Skrine (2 of 2 have been pretty bad so far)
  • $11m for 2 years of Ben Ijalana, after getting turned down by Ryan Clady, whom he shouldn't have been trying to re-sign in the first place.
  • $37m guaranteed for 2 seasons of Mo (the first one of which was bad)
  • $12m (and a lost comp draft pick) for a bad second season of Ryan Fitzpatrick (not to mention, the cost of the player making him look so foolish).
  • $3.5m/yr (and a lost comp draft pick) for <8 games of Steve McLendon.
  • $9m guaranteed (and a lost comp draft pick) for a 31 year-old RB in Matt Forte
  • $15m guaranteed for 31 year-old David Harris (who was already embarrassingly slow 5 years earlier)
  • $10m for 2 years of Marcus Gilchrist
  • $10m for Sheldon Richardson because he turned down a 2017 2nd round pick for him

Just up to where I stopped above, what is that -- like $200m?

But hey, we may have saved as much as $1.7m, so kudos to our genius GM. Of course, that is unless we actually keep Davis, in which case this "savings" is actually an additional team outlay of $2m+. BIG MACC!!!!

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Potentially saving $1.7m (which may have only been $1m) is a hallmark of a shrewd GM who's always thinking.

• $11m for 2 years of Ben Ijalana, after getting turned down by Ryan Clady, whom he shouldn't have been trying to re-sign in the first place.
  • $12m (and a lost comp draft pick) for a bad second season of Ryan Fitzpatrick (not to mention, the cost of the player making him look so foolish).
  • $9m guaranteed (and a lost comp draft pick) for a 31 year-old RB in Matt Forte
  • $15m guaranteed for 31 year-old David Harris (who was already embarrassingly slow 5 years earlier)
  • $10m for Sheldon Richardson because he turned down a 2nd round pick for him

But hey, we may have saved as much as $1.7m, so kudos to our genius GM. Of course, that is unless we actually keep Davis, in which case this "savings" is actually an additional team outlay of $2m+. BIG MACC!!!!

Oh good. It's worse than I thought.

After Jets trade him to Browns, Calvin Pryor promises 'new results'

Calvin Pryor is off to Cleveland. (Elsa | Getty Images)

Calvin Pryor is off to Cleveland. (Elsa | Getty Images)

Strong safety Calvin Pryor has mostly underwhelmed since the Jets drafted him 18th overall in 2014. On Thursday, the Jets traded him to the Browns, for inside linebacker Demario Davis, who played for the Jets from 2012-15. 

Pryor has just two career forced fumbles and two interceptions. The Jets drafted safeties in Rounds 1 and 2 this year (Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye), and then declined Pryor's fifth-year option for 2018.

They were clearly ready to move on from him, as he enters the final year of his rookie contract in 2017. And trading him -- rather than cutting him -- dumped his guaranteed base salary for 2017 ($1.587 million) onto the Browns' books. 

After Pryor was traded, he delivered the following message on his Instagram account: 

:lol:

23 hours ago, C Mart said:

Possibly but Jets aren't in salary cap hell this season so do they need Harris $6.5M this season for anything? Harris and Davis come off the books next yr, if Jets decide to move on from either..

IMO this is a 1 yr tryout for Davis to see if he can replace Harris as a compliment to Lee..

We can cut either or both of them right now with no dead money. I'd say let them compete with Henderson for the one job. 

I don't think Harris is in our long term plans right now, and 6.4 mil is a bit of coin to play with next year. 10 mil if we cut them both. 

34 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Re: Rodgers. Not saying he's Bud Carson however, he was DC in '15 when D was top 5ish..'17 will have 4 new starting DBs so that explains how much of a train wreck '16 was. I'd also add CB Roberts as showing potential

I admire the organizations that can have a HC that truly oversees the organization and OCs and DCs that truly run their units with HC big picture direction and oversight.

I think that his the minority of teams.  For most teams, the HC also functions as the de facto coordinator of their former specialty, but usually there is a titular coordinator on staff to execute the HC/C's vision while the HC also tries to HC.  Rodgers is the Jets Titular DC.  There are coordinators in the NFL that get paid real money.  My guess is that KC is not paid real money, which basically tells the story.  The other function of a titular DC is to be the "Fall Guy" for the actual DC when things don't go right.  This is what just happened in Atlanta-Dan Quinn is really the DC of that team.

I suspect that the combined HCDC is a Woody-ism to save money.

So my view would be that if we feel that KC did not do a good job and needs to go, it is really a bigger issue with more people to go.

1 minute ago, NYs Stepchild said:

We can cut either or both of them right now with no dead money. I'd say let them compete with Henderson for the one job. 

I don't think Harris is in our long term plans right now, and 6.4 mil is a bit of coin to play with next year. 10 mil if we cut them both. 

We just have to look at the Pryor trade like this:  we got the Browns to take his salary, which is great.

We have the option to lower our ILB cost by replacing Harris with Davis.

There are really two paths before opening day-if Davis is clearly better than Harris, Harris should retire if Davis agrees to a contract extension.  Otherwise, the Jets may consider keeping Harris if he is serviceable to do the right thing by a good soldier.  I am not loving replacing a one year good citizen player with a one year new player.  Just doing that puts the Jets $2mm+ in cap space over where they were.  If David replaces Harris, even for a year, that is $4mm+ in cap space.

I hope, hope, hope we are not carrying both of them this year.  That would be very bad cap management.

17 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

:blink:

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

3 years into this regime and we have the worst roster in the league. How bout dat.

I guarantee you that it's NOT the worst roster in the league and the final results will show this team will surprise and not have earned the 1st pick in the 2018 draft. 

20 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Henderson?  

Harris isn't long-term plans..Agree

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Are you ever going to give this a rest?  

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

What kind of team going into year 3 do you expect to see? I'm curious what Mac SHOULD have this team looking like? Should we have made the playoffs twice, maybe even once? Should we have at least 3 probowl/allpro players from our 2 draft classes? Should we already have our long awaited franchise QB? Or maybe drafted Watson to put us over the top in year 3? 

What exactly we should be, I don't know.  But, I can confidently tell you we shouldn't, going into year 3, have no sign of a QB, a roster described as the worst in football by many, and a real likelihood of being in contention for the #1 overall pick.  The fact is, Macc is going into his third year, and the team is weak at every position that matters on a football field.  If that's not a terrible job, it's hard to imagine what a terrible job would look like.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

• $10m for Sheldon Richardson because he turned down a 2017 2nd round pick for him

Who even cares about the cap, Macc is a personell guy, not some nerd ass bean counter

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I get that your upset this team sucks. But each move stands alone. When you have a player that isn't very good, that has been replaced in the draft and he wants out you generally don't get much back. You certainly don't get draft picks back. Brandon Marshall, when he was still very good, netted a 5th rounder. Please explain to me why a team would trade a 6th round pick for Calvin Pryor? 

The SOJF crew is losing their sh!t. 

Each move does not stand alone.  Each move is about building a team.  This team is a rudderless and sinking ship, to use both metaphors.

Brandon Marshall was older and had a lot of baggage.  Pryor is not good, but he was low on the list of this teams problems.  This team has invested in two positions, safety and ILB, and those are two of the least valuable positions in the game.

In a vacuum, this move is irrelevant.  But, in the context, it's just another part of the joke that this franchise is.  These are, unfortunately, the same old Jets.

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

We were completely non-competitive at literally every single position that matters in the modern NFL when he got here. Two and a half offseasons later, nothing has improved even marginally at any of those positions.

Archived