Calvin Pryor traded to Browns for Demario Davis: MERGED

Ghost

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, C Mart said:

because you know teams were offering up a draft pick?

Davis at least provides ILB / ST depth..

And for all crying for a draft pick he's also an UFA at the end of the year so MAYBE he will help bring back a comp pick should he sign elsewhere..

If it was a 4 or 5 I would do it. Not for a 6th or 7th

Would've liked a low pick better and I'm not a fan of Davis (totally pedestrian LB) but if he's a backup ILB and he's playing

on specials it's alright.  He at least will bring a better attitude to the locker room

IMG_0124.jpg?fit=1532%2C1048

When the Jets drafted safety Jamal Adams in the 1st round of the recently completed NFL draft, it seemed like he could compliment Calvin Pryor. Then the Jets drafted another safety, Marcus Maye, and that sent a pretty clear message to Pryor. Pryor wasn’t present for the NY Jets first OTA practice and was buried on the depth chart the next day. The entire process didn’t take long to play out as the Jets just announced that Pryor has been traded to the Brown for Demario Davis.

Pryor was originally drafted by the Jets with the 18th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. The Jets seemed like they were going to cut him if they couldn’t find a trade partner.

Demario Davis was originally drafted by the Jets in the 3rd round of the 2012 NFL draft.

Davis, an Arkansas State product who was a third-round selection of the Jets in 2012, started 15 games for the Browns last season and finished with 99 tackles and two sacks. After recording 16 special-teams stops his rookie season in New York, Davis started 16 games each of the next three Jets’ campaigns and collected 120, 125 and 114 tackles while playing alongside Davis Harris. The 6’2″, 248-pound Davis has 8.5 career sacks and four fumble recoveries.

You can read more about the Calvin Pryor Trade in our forums.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
-BQqKJs055Y

Click here to read the full story...

1 minute ago, KRL said:

Would've liked a low pick better and I'm not a fan of Davis (totally pedestrian LB) but if he's a backup ILB and he's playing

on specials it's alright.  He at least will bring a better attitude to the locker room

seems like a salary cap move with the upside that they have an ILB if injuries hit in camp.  

Seems like I'm in the minority here but.. I like the move. Pryor was obviously expendable. He never reached his potential with us. Whether playing out of position or whatever the case was.. definitely not as good as advertised when we drafted him... Davis is 28 not 32 now. Has had over 100 tackles every year since he's been in the league. I like his leadership and with the young guys on D... can help them along. Being that we are rebuilding. Hey remember James farrior. Was a decent Jet than became a really good player for Pittsburgh. Not saying Davis will be that but who knows??? That would be nice. And if pryor becomes the player in Cleveland oh well his time here was Done.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Only the Jets would trade one of their former first rounders for one of their former third rounders. Forgetting the players just for a second, that says all you need to know about this organizations decades long struggles and the reason being we can't draft successfully. 

In this case though the former first rounder played like a 5th rounder at best and that's being generous. Davis is not that great and probably not worthy of his third round pick but he's managed to stick around the league for 5 years and is a good voice in the locker room and known for his leadership. In my opinion I don't think either is even a lock to make the team. This was all about salary dump for the jets as none of Davis's salary is gauranteed and pryors was. Not the worst trade if you look at it that way.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

11 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Then you're dumb too. You would seriously a 7th round draft pick over a player that has been able to play in the NFL for 5 years even as depth?

Trading young, cheap mediocre players for bad, older, more expensive players is stupid as ****. 

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

How is it a salary cap move?

they save the fully $1.6M remaining guaranteed on pryor's contract but davis' money is not guaranteed.  it is my understanding that if they cut davis in camp they owe him nothing.  if this is true, they can essentially dump pryor's cap hit and wind up with nada.  i hope i'm right.

38 minutes ago, JiF said:

So this was really just a player swap?  For Demario ******* Davis?

Holy sh*t.  I hate this ******* team with all my heart and soul. 

This is Tim Burke for Lee Gutterman.  Two scrubs, one of them a malcontent, who needed a change of scenery.

21 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

You are so dumb. It's unbelievable.

18 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Give me the proven player who can play a bit over a lottery draft pick deep in the draft who might not be able to play at all.

Only the internet can give you this gem.

Thank you, good sir.  You're amazing.

1 minute ago, Jets0712 said:

Seems like I'm in the minority here but.. I like the move. Pryor was obviously expendable. He never reached his potential with us. Whether playing out of position or whatever the case was.. definitely not as good as advertised when we drafted him... Davis is 28 not 32 now. Has had over 100 tackles every year since he's been in the league. I like his leadership and with the young guys on D... can help them along. Being that we are rebuilding. Hey remember James farrior. Was a decent Jet than became a really good player for Pittsburgh. Not saying Davis will be that but who knows??? That would be nice. And if pryor becomes the player in Cleveland oh well his time here was Done.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I think most wouldn't normally be particularly upset about the Jets trading their own trash for another team's trash, as it happens around the league often enough and you can keep your fingers crossed for the new guy stepping it up a little, even if it's unlikely.  Everyone's real problem this time is that what they are getting back in return is their own trash.  We even got to see him in the current system during Bowles' "good" year.  He's a known quantity to the Jets and the fans, so there's little reason for optimism.  The Jets basically got rid of one guy we were all sick and tired of, and in return brought back another guy who we were all sick and tired of this time last year.

Far from the worst of things the Jets have done, given we're talking about a couple of backup-caliber players (even if one or both end up starting this year), but you still can't help but role your eyes and shake your head at the very interesting combination of circumstances.

21 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Here's one: a draft pick--any draft pick--is categorically more valuable than a 28-year-old on a one-year deal who plays a low-value position poorly.

Wait, what?  You dont value ILB'ers and Safeties? 

21 minutes ago, Lith said:

This may be nothing more thana  move to clear cap space.  Cleveland takes on Pryor's $1.6MM guaranteed base salary.  The Jets take on Davis' $3.7MM non-guaranteed base.  If we cut Davis prior to the season, we save Pryor's $1.6MM cap hit that we would have had to absorb if we had released him.

How could the Jets possibly operate a Football team being strapped to a whopping 1.6 mil? 

I wish the majority of Jet fans would stop being "two faced" for just a minute.  You can't complain
for years about how awful Pryor is then complain when you don't get a high draft pick back for him.
Uh, that's not logical

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

I wish the majority of Jet fans would stop being "two faced" for just a minute.  You can't complain
for years about how awful Pryor is then complain when you don't get a high draft pick back for him.
Uh, that's not logical

Exactly!

Just a thought..Letting Davis walk as an UFA played into the Jets receiving their '17 comp pick. I know Harrison leaving helped it become a higher comp pick, but based on the below it appears the formula is based on # of net UFA lost

As the NFL explains, compensatory picks are awarded to teams that lose more or better compensatory free agents than they acquire. The number of picks a team can receive equals the net loss of compensatory free agents, up to a maximum of four. Compensatory free agents are determined by a secret formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. Not every free agent lost or signed is covered by the formula.

Although the formula has never been revealed, by studying the compensatory picks that have been awarded since they began in 1994, I’ve determined that the primary factor in the value of the picks awarded is the average annual value of the contract the player signed with his new team, with an adjustment for playing time and a smaller adjustment for postseason honors.

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

Why are people so upset? He wasn't good... Who cares what we got for him? Were you expecting a 2nd round pick? 

After as much as everyone trashed on the guy, did you really think the Jets would somehow fool other teams into giving up a lot more? Come on...

1 minute ago, KRL said:

Uh, that's not logical

You can believe that Pryor was a bad player who had to go and still be annoyed at the return. We know that Davis is also a bad player who had to go. Possibly worse than Pryor

Archived