Schefter: Jets to release David Harris

flgreen

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

It was a leak from, most likely Harris' agent... It was not the Jets... That is probably exactly what the Jets were going to do.... but we never know because someone blabbed it to schefter.

and why would his agent(s) humiliate their client like that?  That really doesn't make sense at all unless the agent is just a despicable person.

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

That might apply to agents, chief

It certainly should.  It should apply to all of us who have or represent employees/clients.  But the Jets have a fair amount of history otherwise. 

6 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

There are just so many Debbie Downers on this site... Ready to pounce on everything, much like the media... It's said really because I finally feel like the Franchise is taking the correct steps to rebuild.

then it should treat the players and fans with a lot more respect than it currently does.  JMO.

13 minutes ago, Dcat said:

then it should treat the players and fans with a lot more respect than it currently does.  JMO.

I'm trying to remember a player the Jets recently traded, cut, didn't resign that was critical of the organization going out the door..I'm coming up blank. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened just nothing coming to mind

NO organization is going to do everything "right" in everyone's eyes. Its just not possible

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I'm trying to remember a player the Jets recently traded, cut, didn't resign that was critical of the organization..I'm coming up blank.  Doesn't mean it hasn't happened just nothing coming to mind

NO organization is going to do everything "right" in everyone's eyes. Its just not possible

That's a very fair point.....   I think a small part of it is we, right or wrong, opened the check book too much and no one bad mouths a team that paid them well, and in many cases, above market.  

So, here's the thing. Harris is the same exact player now that he was two years ago when Maccagnan handed him $15 mil guaranteed, and it made a lot more sense to cut Harris two years ago than it does now. There is no coherence to what Maccagnan does. There is no plan. This isn't a "rebuild"; it's a fire sale. The difference between those two things is that the objective of a fire sale is to conceal the evidence of your ****ups. 

How this hurts the Jets is that they're in a position (because of the aforementioned "no plan") where they're going to have to fill a lot of very expensive positions in free agency, competing with every other team for QBs, CBs, WRs, OLTs, pass rushers, etc and they're already the most toxic situation in the league for anyone to sign on to. The coach and GM are dead men walking, the owner is an outright clown, the facilities are community college-level, and playing in NY for a team about as relevant as the WNBA Liberty sucks. Lopping the heads off of guys like Mangold and Harris in a low-rent fashion only reinforces the idea that the Jets are a black hole, and there's not going to be enough cash lying around to compensate for that when free agency hits. Consider that Mac was already picking up reject scraps like Fitzpatrick and Marshall to start with, imagine what he's going to be restricted to now. 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So, here's the thing. Harris is the same exact player now that he was two years ago when Maccagnan handed him $15 mil guaranteed, and it made a lot more sense to cut Harris two years ago than it does now. There is no coherence to what Maccagnan does. There is no plan. This isn't a "rebuild"; it's a fire sale. The difference between those two things is that the objective of a fire sale is to conceal the evidence of your ****ups. 

How this hurts the Jets is that they're in a position (because of the aforementioned "no plan") where they're going to have to fill a lot of very expensive positions in free agency, competing with every other team for QBs, CBs, WRs, OLTs, pass rushers, etc and they're already the most toxic situation in the league for anyone to sign on to. The coach and GM are dead men walking, the owner is an outright clown, the facilities are community college-level, and playing in NY for a team about as relevant as the WNBA Liberty sucks. Lopping the heads off of guys like Mangold and Harris in a low-rent fashion only reinforces the idea that the Jets are a black hole, and there's not going to be enough cash lying around to compensate for that when free agency hits. Consider that Mac was already picking up reject scraps like Fitzpatrick and Marshall to start with, imagine what he's going to be restricted to now. 

I think we have 73m in cap next year.

Just now, T0mShane said:

At last count, 18 teams had more than $25 mil in space next year, and that's before their own housecleaning.

So? If people wanted to stay away from black holes, they wouldn't sign with the Redskins, or the Jaguars, or the Browns, or the Lions etc. You underestimate the impact of money

Just now, Beerfish said:

2018 NFL:  "With the 6th pick in the 2018 NFL draft the New York Jets select Podnarksi Rush linebacker, west tuskegee state.

That's dumb for you.

22 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

David Harris was not an average player.

154 career games. 11 forced fumbles. No pro bowl. Never first team all pro. 

You want me to say he was slightly above average? Sure. But if you're going to suggest he was a great jet ..

I liked Harris as much as the next fan, but for all of those saying 'jets aren't classy', etc, how many of you would be throwing things at the TV when someone blew right passed him. The timing has more to do with Davis; these things happen. The Pats normally eject players before they are past their prime and everyone says, 'that bb is a genius'. The Jets move on from a great player that is just too slow at this point and they are classless. You got to love it....

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

So? If people wanted to stay away from black holes, they wouldn't sign with the Redskins, or the Jaguars, or the Browns, or the Lions etc. You underestimate the impact of money

That's dumb for you.

Would it surprise you if the jets took a LB next year?  I know one thing, if they did you clap like a trained seal and endorse the pick as being a good one.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Would it surprise you if the jets took a LB next year?  I know one thing, if they did you clap like a trained seal and endorse the pick as being a good one.

With the top pick? Yeah I'd be surprised and pissed. Especially from a guy who is looking like he has gone 2 for 3 (If Adams is as expected) in top draft picks

10 minutes ago, OH THE PAIN said:

Son of a batch !!!!!!! What the hell are they doing  ? If I wanted to watch a non-NFL experienced group of muscle-bound yahoos , I would have purchased season tickets to Columbia .

What do you call what we've been watching since 2012?????

12 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

154 career games. 11 forced fumbles. No pro bowl. Never first team all pro. 

You want me to say he was slightly above average? Sure. But if you're going to suggest he was a great jet ..

Agreed.

if he played in the 80's, he's a borderline HOFer, ok maybe a stretch.

But in today's NFL, he was barely starter level

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This was epic amounts of whining. Also what about cutting Mangold was low-rent? Also every team makes unpopular cuts, for some reason this team takes it personally. There was definitely a miscalculation in the short term potential of this team but in general past wrongs have been corrected with everyone in the organization stating the same thing and that's some sort of cohesion. It might all be for naught but we have some decent pieces for the next guy to play with. 

Our facilities are considered top notch so I know you're just yapping but dude chill. 

Archived