Schefter: Jets to release David Harris

flgreen

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, kdels62 said:

This was epic amounts of whining. Also what about cutting Mangold was low-rent? Also every team makes unpopular cuts, for some reason this team takes it personally. There was definitely a miscalculation in the short term potential of this team but in general past wrongs have been corrected with everyone in the organization stating the same thing and that's some sort of cohesion. It might all be for naught but we have some decent pieces for the next guy to play with. 

Our facilities are considered top notch so I know you're just tapping but dude chill. 

It just amazes me the amount of hate Mike Mac gets.  His drafts are okay. (Better than Idziks and the last few of Tannys). His FAs signings have been meh but they have all been with little consequence to the future.

9 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

There was definitely a miscalculation in the short term potential of this team but in general past wrongs have been corrected with everyone in the organization stating the same thing and that's some sort of cohesion

Speaking of coherence...what

18 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

How any JET fan can bad mouth Davis Harris is beyond me.  He was as solid a player as we have had in 25 years. 

Not to mention a dreaded 2nd rd pick that could actually play football..:)

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

I love it when a plan comes together.

So what you want to do is strip away the veteran players and accumulate cap space so you can start a rebuild in earnest I'M JUST KIDDING that's exactly what Idzik did three years ago.

26 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It just amazes me the amount of hate Mike Mac gets.  His drafts are okay. (Better than Idziks and the last few of Tannys). His FAs signings have been meh but they have all been with little consequence to the future.

I mean yeah, but he hasn't been good and doesn't deserve unwavering support on his decisions. He turned $50 million in cap space his first year into 15 wins in 2 seasons and Buster Skrine

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

What an ungrateful show of disrespect for an all-time great Jet.  Why not release him when other teams are in the midst of their free agent hunting, giving him a chance of landing on a contender?  Christ.  This f'king cheesy organization can never do anything right.  No class. There are times when I am embarrassed to be a fan of this horsesh!t team and not because they suck on the field, but because they treat their own players badly, treat the fans poorly and are unprofessional in their actions.

you think maybe they tried to trade him? its a business......

This is the first time I ever remember the Jets going full rebuild.  An expensive 33 yo David Harris is utterly expendendable.  They couldn't have done it earlier because they just traded for his replacement this week.

by the looks of it this move makes a lot of sense

david Harris was legit- he did everything right- grown man ILB who was a rock and hit like a boulder.

he made good money from the jets

much respect

even steven

all good

4 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

Lambasted by many around here for being slow and maybe paid a little above market, but this guy was one of the finest Jets to ever play

finest jets to ever play? dude never even made the probowl. he was above average at best

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Speaking of coherence...what

The whole organization is stating that they're looking for improvement rather than wins and they seem to be moving forward with a plan. I can't speak to the ability of Mac and Bowles to carry out that plan but at least they seem to have one. 

Its really weird that all these leaks are getting out. This leadership is usually airtight on these things. Unless they really just gave up on Hack and Petty and said screw it

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

The whole organization is stating that they're looking for improvement rather than wins and they seem to be moving forward with a plan. I can't speak to the ability of Mac and Bowles to carry out that plan but at least they seem to have one. 

Its really weird that all these leaks are getting out. This leadership is usually airtight on these things. Unless they really just gave up on Hack and Petty and said screw it

*Hands new best e-bud kdels a beer and explains, what he's trying to say is, Sam Darnold.

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

*Hands new e-bud kdels a beer and explains, what he trying to say is, Sam Darnold.

Yeah... that's the end game it seems but the SOJF are going really hard right now on their woe is me schtick.

Dumping contracts and cutting bait rather than allowing mistakes to fester is decent strategizing.

Just now, kdels62 said:

Yeah... that's the end game it seems but the SOJF are going really hard right now on their woe is me schtick.

Dumping contracts and cutting bait rather than allowing mistakes to fester is decent strategizing.

TOm Shane hates puppies. Pay him no mind. 

This is a beautiful thing.

• I wonder if the Jets looked at the OTA films, had a epiphany moment, and decided that it was not worth paying veterans $7mm for their last year to try and be quasi-respectable.  Maybe they saw Harris as even slower, and maybe they feared Harris would purposely or subconsciously pack it in.  So for those that thought the Davis acquisition was completely crazy from a cap perspective, we have now made that back.
  • I had said multiple times that it did not make sense to overpay a veteran, particularly on defense, in what was a rebuilding year.  So this is what the Jets should have done in March, but it is the right move for the team.  Decker can at least help a young QB.   Let's see if he sticks around.
  • I don't buy the notion that cutting Harris in March could have provided him with more opportunities.  No one was signing him before the draft.  He will be signed by a competitive team who needs a credible back up or substitute for injury.  He, and Mangold, could get signed over the Summer, but they are not the type of player that a team signs earlier.
  • I don't think it is fair to look at how Davis played and say that Harris was that much better.  Harris and Davis played different positions.  Davis was not good in the WILB position.  Davis can be a respectable Mike   Lee will be ask to do more covering.
  • One reason Harris may have been kept around was because Bowles saw him as helpful to a competitive season.  Mac, with likely Woody's blessing, saw the opportunity to save money (Woody likes money) and try out options like Davis, Carter and Connor Harris to see if there is a future.
  • Posters seem to be ignoring the fact that cap savings can be carried forward to next season.  The Jets are not signing anyone for this year.  This move ultimately helps the team be competitive in the future, if they get their acts together.
  • Harris watched the Jets bid for Hightower, and everyone knew that Harris was toast if he signed.  The Jets had other guys in.   But it is good business to be classy.  Yes, Mangold was in Disney World, but he was cut at the right time.  On one hand keeping Harris around as long as they did was selfish.  It ultimately could have been if they never intended on keeping him on the roster.  On the other hand, he was offered a chance to make alot of money this season-it just did not work out.  To me, the bigger question was why, in the big picture, Macc and Co ever thought it was a good idea to pay Harris what they were to play one year on a rebuilding team.  My theory was that the goal is to avoid complete embarrassment, and the Jets roster is so bad that anyone but Harris would result in complete embarrassment.  Business is selfish, but the Jets were selfish.   
  • I think it will be revealed that the Jets FO is seeing bad stuff in the OTAs, and that the team is doomed.

37 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

This was epic amounts of whining. Also what about cutting Mangold was low-rent? Also every team makes unpopular cuts, for some reason this team takes it personally. There was definitely a miscalculation in the short term potential of this team but in general past wrongs have been corrected with everyone in the organization stating the same thing and that's some sort of cohesion. It might all be for naught but we have some decent pieces for the next guy to play with. 

Our facilities are considered top notch so I know you're just yapping but dude chill. 

After being around some Div. 1 and 2 facilities for "educational/parental" purposes(will discuss in 4 years or so) , despite being relatively new the Jets aren't better facility wise than any number of such schools and really worse than most I have seen. 

The NFL doesn't involve farewell tours because it's a cap sport that demands performance to justify salary. But that means these things have to be planned as much as you can. It cannot be perfect because the plan changes all the time on the fly-players decline, seasons go to hell, injuries. But this doesn't look like a plan at all. Looks like a front office unloading vets willy nilly as the flavor of the day the Jets   hoping draft picks and free agents step up. Otherwise you could have cut these guys months ago. Want to think that may even make sense. But picking 2 safeties at the top of the draft if this was in the offing lends credence to the jets yet again flitting to   the next bad idea of the day from yesterday's big idea.In fact it tells you each of these decisions was independent of the other decisions; that is not a plan.  With all these cuts, looks like chaos. And I say that well in support of sucking for Sam. 

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jets fans: "Yes, getting cap space and no talent is great and exactly what we should do also John Idzik invented typhoid."

There is a strain of misguided NFL fans who think there is a Lombardi awarded for cap management independent of winning football games. 

18 minutes ago, Bugg said:

After being around some Div. 1 and 2 facilities for "educational/parental" purposes(will discuss in 4 years or so) , despite being relatively new the Jets aren't better facility wise than any number of such schools and really worse than most I have seen. 

The NFL doesn't involve farewell tours because it's a cap sport that demands performance to justify salary. But that means these things have to be planned as much as you can. It cannot be perfect because the plan changes all the time on the fly-players decline, seasons go to hell, injuries. But this doesn't look like a plan at all. Looks like a front office unloading vets willy nilly as the flavor of the day the Jets   hoping draft picks and free agents step up. Otherwise you could have cut these guys months ago. Want to think that may even make sense. But picking 2 safeties at the top of the draft if this was in the offing lends credence to the jets yet again flitting to   the next bad idea of the day from yesterday's big idea.In fact it tells you each of these decisions was independent of the other decisions; that is not a plan.  With all these cuts, looks like chaos. And I say that well in support of sucking for Sam. 

I don't entirely disagree with you. Cutting Harris after acquiring Davis and not drafting a viable ILB especially with guys like Cunningham available screams of poor planning. And I really don't get the pick for Maye yet. He'll have to be our safety for 10 years for me to get that. 

My point however isn't that they don't have a plan but rather they suck at execution. The Decker thing is right in line with what many expected but the Harris thing seems random. That being said cap savings in a bad year is a good thing. And the only benefit that Mac has over Idzik is that he drafted the players that will lead this team in this rebuild year while Idzik played with Mangini and Tanny's roster.

3 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I only went 3 pages deep but I can't say what I read there reflects this thread. Didn't see anything in regards to KC beat writers sh*tting on it unless its deeper in that thread.   Mostly cool heads over there with the worst being along these lines: 

Thank you for pasting 1 quote out of 984 posts. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Thank you for pasting 1 quote out of 984 posts. 

Dude I don't know what you are getting at.  I even said I only went 3 pages deep.  If you read the entire thread and have examples you are more than welcome to paste them here directly instead of me wading through 984 posts to find the KC beat writer or KC fans flipping their wigs.  You posted the link so I figured you were familiar with the thread over there.

4 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Releasing Harris is 100% the right move, and somehow they find a way to **** that up too. Maccagnan is like a bizarro world King Midas.

Agree. Harris should have been released or traded a few years ago.  He had some value back then.  To cut him like this is Rump like.

Archived