Schefter: Jets to release David Harris

flgreen

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets released ILB David Harris.
The move wipes Harris' entire $6.5 million salary off the books. It comes five days after the Jets reacquired ILB Demario Davis from the Browns. Now 33, Harris has lost a step, but hasn't yet gone off the cliff. A 10-year veteran, Harris had been a starter for the Jets since his rookie year in 2007, making him the longest-tenured member of Gang Green. The Jets are gutting the AFC's worst roster.
Related: Jets
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

2 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

Doing the right thing wrong way. So Jetsesque. 

you might want to try to explain that to JoJo. He seems to think the way in which the Jets did this is perfectly fine.  LOL.

I have no problem with releasing David Harris, but this should have happened three months ago. It's more evidence that this organization has zero plan for the road ahead. 

How someone as sh*tty as DeMario Davis makes David Harris suddenly expendable is beyond me. If you wanted a "leader" in the linebacking corps so badly, they would have been better off signing Anthony Schlegel back onto the roster for nothing. Also, it wasn't a veteran linebacker that stopped Darron Lee from hitting a woman last week, it was a 21 year old defensive tackle, so this "veteran leadership" bullsh*t is just that.

Just now, Dcat said:

Mangini's drafts were among the better ones in Jets history.  By a country mile in fact.

So now they were Mangini's while '13 & '14's were Idzik...I get it..Not going to go down that road again..

I wish they handled it with a bit more care, but I have no problems whatsoever with the actual release.  He was very much a liability in coverage, and this defense needs to get faster.  He's one of our best players in the past decade, but there is no point in having him on the team, blocking younger guys in a rebuilding year.  

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Love to see him re-signed as a run stopper and part time player. If he wants to still play (but for less money) there should be interest in him. But you'd think the same for Mangold and he hasn't been signed. Maybe both guys will wait until most of training camp is over to give Thor bodies a rest and see if the market opens up. I'd like to see both of them back in green. 

When training camp injuries and pre season injuries start piling up around the league, Mangold and Harris will be employed.  I just wish the jets knew how to do these things with a little class.  For Mangold to be informed while enjoying time with his children at Disney was wrong.  And for Harris to learn this thru the Jets' fuccked up media reporters, rather than directly from the coach and GM themselves is disrespectful and patently wrong.  

Jets = No class organization. 

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

LOL...None of us know what has or hasn't been communicated to Harris and/or his agent the past 6 months

Cimini(quote is posted) said he just talked to Harris after Cimini heard he was cut, Harris didn't know at that point.  Real class

Just now, Dcat said:

When training camp injuries and pre season injuries start piling up around the league, Mangold and Harris will be employed.  I just wish the jets knew how to do these things with a little class.  For Mangold to be informed while enjoying time with his children at Disney was wrong.  And for Harris to learn this thru the Jets' fuccked up media reporters, rather than directly from the coach and GM themselves is disrespectful and patently wrong.  

Jets = No class organization. 

Dude, no organization has class. None of them

:angry:

that's some COLD-BLOODED REALITY right there. 

Probably wanted to see what was left in the tank through OTAs, realized it wasn't worth the price tag, and are letting him latch on a team with PLENTY of time before TC.

Thank you David "#52 HitMan" Harris. You deserve a better send off then this. 

2 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I wish they handled it with a bit more care, but I have no problems whatsoever with the actual release.  He was very much a liability in coverage, and this defense needs to get faster.  He's one of our best players in the past decade, but there is no point in having him on the team, blocking younger guys in a rebuilding year.  

This is true, but don't be surprised when Darron Lee/Lorenzo Mauldin are parked on the bench next year and replaced by whatever slug veteran linebackers we have on the roster (DeMario Davis, Bruce Carter, etc). Bowles will play whoever is oldest.

Just now, Jack Straw said:

This is true, but don't be surprised when Darron Lee/Lorenzo Mauldin are parked on the bench next year and replaced by whatever slug veteran linebackers we have on the roster (DeMario Davis, Bruce Carter, etc). Bowles will play whoever is oldest.

Based on?

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

LOL...None of us know what has or hasn't been communicated to Harris and/or his agent the past 6 months

Are you oblivious?  Harris himself said he had no knowledge.  

Surprised this happened now, unless Harris has lost more speed during OTA's and they didn't

want another Revis situation on their hands.  Much respect to Harris, barely missed a game and

always produced when he was on the field

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Cimini(quote is posted) said he just talked to Harris after Cimini heard he was cut, Harris didn't know at that point.  Real class

Again maybe his agent leaked it out...Harris knew this day was coming..3/4 of this board wanted it done last yr..UW says it best..

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Honestly, NFL teams treat their players badly in general. So I'm not going to go nuts over how they did it. But football-wise it's a solid move.

39 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Lambasted by many around here for being slow and maybe paid a little above market, but this guy was one of the finest Jets to ever play

I don't know about finest ever, but certainly the best 2nd rounder I can think of.

Archived